PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Only 36,000 of them at there game today...

So much for Geordies being such a bunch of loyal fans eh ???

gem
15-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I think thats quite a lot considering the turmoil that is going on in that club! I think if Hibs had no manager an owner who is not prepaired to spend money on players and is openly trying to sell the club and had just been relegaed we would not get many fans through our gates.

I know this is a risky post given the many Newcastle haters that post here but I hope things pick up for Newcastle.

sesoim
15-08-2009, 08:46 PM
36,000? That's still way more than a lot of teams in the Premiership. Once they get sorted out they'll be getting the 3rd biggest crowds in England again. Whatever the haters say here, Newcastle are a huge club and should be up in the top six of the Premiership.

Anything that's went wrong there is down to usless/lazy/greedy individuals - the fans are still great.

sesoim
15-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I know this is a risky post given the many Newcastle haters that post here but I hope things pick up for Newcastle.

Why do you think that is - a lack of Irish/Catholic connections (unlike Liverpool and Man U) perhaps?

ScottB
15-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Why do you think that is - a lack of Irish/Catholic connections (unlike Liverpool and Man U) perhaps?

I think it's down to the annoyance that fans who think that a club having a big support makes it entitled to success.

Why are there lots of people who have a shine to teams like Man Utd? Uh. because they are good to watch?

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 08:54 PM

No , it's because they think they have a devine right to win every week and when something doesn't go for them , they think it's always somebody else's fault.....

Hibster
15-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I think it's down to the annoyance that fans who think that a club having a big support makes it entitled to success.

No , it's because they think they have a devine right to win every week and when something doesn't go for them , they think it's always somebody else's fault.....

What are you guys basing that on? Most Newcastle supporters are very down to earth in my experience, always expecting the worst and taking it on the chin. Its the media who build them up and talk about them being a huge club

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 09:04 PM
What are you guys basing that on? Most Newcastle supporters are very down to earth in my experience, always expecting the worst and taking it on the chin. Its the media who build them up and talk about them being a huge club

The fact that I have been to St James park a few times now and there attitude stinks.. They think the whole world is against them and they live on there own planet in regards to there club... They say that they are a big club because they have a big support but how big a club you are is determined on how much success you have....

ScottB
15-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Well perhaps then they are like the Yams, where the deluded moron element drowns out the sane ones, but my experience of them is that they are very much obsessed with their 'big team' status.

offshorehibby
15-08-2009, 09:05 PM
who gives a monkeys

CalgaryHibs
15-08-2009, 09:08 PM

yes i was surprised to see so many empty seats. But agree with yoo here.

Hibster
15-08-2009, 09:09 PM
The fact that I have been to St James park a few times now and there attitude stinks.. They think the whole world is against them and they live on there own planet in regards to there club... They say that they are a big club because they have a big support but how big a club you are is determined on how much success you have....

I dunno. Success is definitely part of it, but its not everything. I would say Newcastle are a bigger club than Chelsea for example...

I've been to SJP a few times as well and found the supporters to be mostly sound. A lot of them seemed to have a sort of 'here we go again' attitude whenever they conceded another woeful goal....not too unlike us come to think of it :wink:

ScottB
15-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I dunno. Success is definitely part of it, but its not everything. I would say Newcastle are a bigger club than Chelsea for example...

I've been to SJP a few times as well and found the supporters to be mostly sound. A lot of them seemed to have a sort of 'here we go again' attitude whenever they conceded another woeful goal....not too unlike us come to think of it :wink:

I tend to find this 'big club' crap is dragged out by teams who have won next to f all and have to try and justify themselves.

The Man Utd's, the Chelseas, the Liverpools don't need to tell us on a neverending basis about how many fans they have and how big they are. Their records speak for themselves.

gem
15-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Have you read some of the posts on this board and many others there is little difference, I live in Newcastle and thats not the impression I get they seem no different to any football fan who loves there team and EXPECTS them to win many of us expect our teams to win and do well

gem
15-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Thats rubbish, in all honesty Hibs players get a lot more stick and abuse from thier own fans than Newcastle players get from Newcastle fans.

Liberal Hibby
15-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Thats rubbish, in all honesty Hibs players get a lot more stick and abuse from thier own fans than Newcastle players get from Newcastle fans.

Indeed - you only have to look at a certain contributor to this thread's view on our goal keeper - would he do the same at St James' Park in the same circumstances?

heretoday
15-08-2009, 10:14 PM
36,000 is ok. If they win a couple of games the crowd will be back up to capacity again. Some folk just like watching other folk suffer!

Si_17
15-08-2009, 10:18 PM

You are criticising them for still turning up in numbers we can only dream about after they have been relegated, and are now witnessing their owner flog anything he can get money for without signing adequate replacements?

Newcastle are in disarray, they have no leader and no direction, yet they take five thousand or so down to West Brom on the opening day and have now had thirty-six thousand through the door today.

Have a word.

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 10:20 PM
You are criticising them for still turning up in numbers we can only dream about after they have been relegated, and are now witnessing their owner flog anything he can get money for without signing adequate replacements?

Newcastle are in disarray, they have no leader and no direction, yet they take five thousand or so down to West Brom on the opening day and have now had thirty-six thousand through the door today.

Have a word.

So much for them being such a bunch of great fans eh ???? They are a laughing stock.....

iwasthere1972
15-08-2009, 10:21 PM
36,000 is ok. If they win a couple of games the crowd will be back up to capacity again. Some folk just like watching other folk suffer!

:agree:

Si_17
15-08-2009, 10:24 PM
So much for them being such a bunch of great fans eh ???? They are a laughing stock.....

Your opinions are frankly, a load of utter *****. There is one thing about Newcastle United that is not a laughing stock, and that is the supporters.

Newcastle's first home gate of the season was 36944. What were those of Hull, Stoke, Portsmouth, and Everton etc?

Dirkster23
15-08-2009, 10:26 PM

That'll make Man City a pretty crap team then:bye:

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Your opinions are frankly, a load of utter *****. There is one thing about Newcastle United that is not a laughing stock, and that is the supporters.

Newcastle's first home gate of the season was 36944. What were those of Hull, Stoke, Portsmouth, and Everton etc?

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 10:27 PM

On the grand scale of things , we aren't a big club when it comes to the trophy side of football...

Si_17
15-08-2009, 10:31 PM

*I lose an argument, so I'll retort with childish pish.*

Aye, good one mate.

Dirkster23
15-08-2009, 10:41 PM
On the grand scale of things , we aren't a big club when it comes to the trophy side of football...

By your own admission your nothing without success, so where does that leave City??

If having a big support doesn't make you a big team what does? money in the bank:yawn:

Gatecrasher
15-08-2009, 10:42 PM

i dunno. i think hibs have done no bad for themselves, no doubt there has been a few missed oppertunities to get some more sucess in the bag though :wink:

Edinburgh Green
15-08-2009, 11:59 PM

I'd say the laughing stock are certain people who beat themselves off at 'their' teams new found wealth.

StevieC
16-08-2009, 12:28 AM

Yes, 37,000 was a bit disappointing. I had been hoping to break the 40,000 mark but I suppose the turmoil, lack of manager, lack of signings, selling of the best players, live on TV etc. obviously took it's toll.

Having said that, the support that did turn up today made more noise than most of the Premiership games last season .. and more importantly enjoyed a decent game with players that are starting to show a bit of commitment (just look at Nolan chasing the ball at the bye-line for the second goal).

:confused:

Do you honestly think that the Newcastle supporters that put up with last season are honestly going to games thinking they are going to win????

Actually, reading your posts, you probably do!

Someone is on the wrong planet, that's for sure.

Have you read some of the posts on this board and many others there is little difference, I live in Newcastle and thats not the impression I get they seem no different to any football fan who loves there team and EXPECTS them to win many of us expect our teams to win and do well

The majority of the Newcastle support has never seen their team win a trophy. How anyone can say that these same supporters are following the team EXPECTING to win is beyond me.

Very well thought out response, congratulations.

Why the need to add "when it comes to the trophy side"?
You've already stated that trophies are the be all and end all of whether a team is big or not so, other than the trophy side, what are you alluding to?
Are you trying to hint that Man City are a big club because they have a large support? A large support similar to Newcastle perhaps?

:hmmm:

Edinburgh Green
16-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, 37,000 was a bit disappointing. I had been hoping to break the 40,000 mark but I suppose the turmoil, lack of manager, lack of signings, selling of the best players, live on TV etc. obviously took it's toll.

Having said that, the support that did turn up today made more noise than most of the Premiership games last season .. and more importantly enjoyed a decent game with players that are starting to show a bit of commitment (just look at Nolan chasing the ball at the bye-line for the second goal).

:confused:

Do you honestly think that the Newcastle supporters that put up with last season are honestly going to games thinking they are going to win????

Actually, reading your posts, you probably do!

Someone is on the wrong planet, that's for sure.

The majority of the Newcastle support has never seen their team win a trophy. How anyone can say that these same supporters are following the team EXPECTING to win is beyond me.

Very well thought out response, congratulations.

Why the need to add "when it comes to the trophy side"?
You've already stated that trophies are the be all and end all of whether a team is big or not so, other than the trophy side, what are you alluding to?
Are you trying to hint that Man City are a big club because they have a large support? A large support similar to Newcastle perhaps?

Well said Stevie, the boy is a slaver.

Wotherspiniesta
16-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd say the laughing stock are certain people who beat themselves off at 'their' teams new found wealth.
:tee hee:

jgl07
16-08-2009, 02:00 AM

Capacity crowds I would guess.

Steve-O
16-08-2009, 02:08 AM
36,000 at a Championship game in a city of about 270,000 is not too bad I would suggest.

Barney McGrew
16-08-2009, 09:01 AM
but how big a club you are is determined on how much success you have....

Which makes Newcastle (four league titles, six FA Cup wins, One Fairs Cup win) twice as big a club as Manchester City (two league titles, four FA Cup wins, One European Cup Winners Cup win)

:wink:

Si_17
16-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Which makes Newcastle (four league titles, six FA Cup wins, One Fairs Cup win) twice as big a club as Manchester City (two league titles, four FA Cup wins, One European Cup Winners Cup win)

The boy's an erse. Anyone taking his view's seriously needs locking up in a padded cell.

basehibby
16-08-2009, 11:45 AM

What a Stupid post :bitchy: ONLY 36,000 - ie more than the combined capacity of BOTH Hibs and Ha-Ha-Hawrts!

Considering the state of their club I think the Newcastle fan base seems to be holding up pretty well - they've won sod all since the 50's IIRC and have just been relegated and if there's one thing I would NOT accuse them of it's a lack of loyalty :bye:

Hibbie_Cameron
16-08-2009, 03:44 PM
The anti newcastle threads on here are often quite funny but this one takes the biscuit. Thanks for that Pistol1875:thumbsup:

bawheid
16-08-2009, 03:59 PM

There's only one laughing stock on this thread though.

Your opinions are frankly, a load of utter *****.

Correct.

Also correct. I've nothing against Man City - always liked them in a "support-the-underdog" kinda way. But I'm going to have a right good old laugh when they fall flat on their arse. That's "when" by the way, not "if".

The way they're going about their business, and their "new fans" slavering over messageboards like this one is really starting to get on my nerves.

The boy's an erse. Anyone taking his view's seriously needs locking up in a padded cell.

Correct.

Chuckie
16-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Their is some shocking spelling and garmmar in this thread..

I agree with The Offshore gadgie..

bawheid
16-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Their is some shocking spelling and garmmar in this thread..

I agree with The Offshore gadgie..

:thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
16-08-2009, 05:16 PM

You are a erse... I am entitled to my opinion just like anybody else... You are a little runt my friend....

PISTOL1875
16-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Didn't I say that we weren't a big club when it comes to the success side of the game ???

PISTOL1875
16-08-2009, 05:18 PM
What a Stupid post :bitchy: ONLY 36,000 - ie more than the combined capacity of BOTH Hibs and Ha-Ha-Hawrts!

Considering the state of their club I think the Newcastle fan base seems to be holding up pretty well - they've won sod all since the 50's IIRC and have just been relegated and if there's one thing I would NOT accuse them of it's a lack of loyalty :bye:

I think lack of loyalty is very evident in this case.. Where are the remaining 17,000 fans that they had in EPL last season ???

basehibby
16-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I think lack of loyalty is very evident in this case.. Where are the remaining 17,000 fans that they had in EPL last season ???

...and where are the remaining 20,000 Hibs fans that always turn up at cup finals? - people in glass houses and all that - nuffsaid. :bye:

Chuckie
16-08-2009, 05:29 PM
...and where are the remaining 20,000 Hibs fans that always turn up at cup finals? - people in glass houses and all that - nuffsaid. :bye:

Sitting at home or in pubs watching the English Leagues on massive tellies...

StevieC
16-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Where are the remaining 17,000 fans that they had in EPL last season ???

Saturdays crowd was a drop of about 12,000 .. or around 25%.

Given that the club is in utter turmoil, the best players have left, club is up for sale, no manager, no new signings, live TV game .. it's hardly surprising that the crowd wais substantially down. With the next 2 home games midweek we wont get a true reflection on what the average crowd is likely to be until the Plymouth game on the 19th of September.

Every team has supporters that will either go or stay away depending on the success of the club so it's not a major issue. As has been pointed out though, you still had 37,000 turning up on Saturday despite everything that is happening so it's fair to say that the club can boast at least 37,000 loyal fans.

I'd be interested to see what percentage the Hibs crowds dropped by during the Blobby era?

Phil D. Rolls
16-08-2009, 08:28 PM

They still had the biggest crowd in the Championship, I felt a lot of the attendance figures were low, maybe it's because it's still the holidays for a lot of people?

jabis
16-08-2009, 08:43 PM
PIST,(if I may call you that)..hearts.....OK

Newcastle ?............get grip !

StevieC
20-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Only 44,000 turn up to a midweek championship game against Sheffield Wednesday.

That's 400 less than at Anfield tonight, making it only the second biggest midweek league attendance .. what a poor poor show from the Newcastle support .. where's their loyalty??

:rolleyes:

Si_17
20-08-2009, 01:14 AM
You are a erse... I am entitled to my opinion just like anybody else... You are a little runt my friend....

Yap yap yap...you are nothing but a slaverer

SAFC crowd (V Chelsea, premier league) 41,600.
NUFC crowd (V Sheff Wed, Championship) 43,900.

BigKev
20-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Only 44,000 turn up to a midweek championship game against newly promoted Sheffield Wednesday.

That's 400 less than at Anfield tonight, making it only the second biggest midweek league attendance .. what a poor poor show from the Newcastle support .. where's their loyalty??

:rolleyes:

:bitchy::bitchy::grr:

5000 or so last night were Owls fans as well.

And the Wednesday were worth a point :greengrin

hibsbollah
20-08-2009, 07:48 AM

:agree:Made a superb noise. I was with a load of Wednesday supporting mates and there were quite a few of them that had tickets in the home support. Will happen a lot this season; newcastle are a big draw and a lot of away fans will come as much for the night out afterwards as the game.

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2009, 07:58 AM

I'll bet they had a proper hoot at the game.

khib70
20-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Well said Stevie, the boy is a slaver.
Intelligent post, ragboy. Still smarting from the Burnley result, are we? LTRF:bye:

bawheid
20-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Intelligent post, ragboy. Still smarting from the Burnley result, are we? LTRF:bye:

Don't let the fact he's a fellow Man City fan cloud your judgement. The boy's a slaver, and he proves it time and again on this message board.

StevieC
20-08-2009, 12:54 PM

There must have been a load of you incognito amongst the Newcastle support then because I'm pretty sure away teams are only allocated up to 3,500.

That said, the Wednesday fans were quite noisy and added to the atmosphere.

Not sure about deserving a point though? If Newcastle had put a couple of the many first half chances they'd had then the game would have been well beyond Wednesday. You did come into a bit of a game midway through the second half, and at 1-0 there was always the chance you could have sneaked it, but I'm not sure you could claim it was deserved.

One thing I am sure we can both agree on though is that the referee was dreadful. I'm sure the whistle was somehow lodged in his mouth because he was blowing for free-kicks almost every time he took a breath! Prevented any sort of flow and, IMO, spoiled a potentially good game.

Edinburgh Green
20-08-2009, 01:00 PM

What are you on about? WTF does ragboy mean?

And finally, I was delighted for Burnley.

Haymaker
20-08-2009, 01:06 PM
What are you on about? WTF does ragboy mean?

And finally, I was delighted for Burnley.

City supporters call Utd fans Red Arrogant Gets. RAGs

Woody1985
20-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Teams and clubs are different.

Teams are what is on the pitch i.e Man City now.

Clubs are everything they encompass. Man City biggish club but not as big as they think. Maybe in a few years, yes, but not now.

Hibs could sign the whole Real Madrid team right now and it wouldn't make us the biggest club in the world.

Woody1985
20-08-2009, 01:09 PM

By that token, that'll make MC fans BAGS or FUDS. :faf:

Haymaker
20-08-2009, 01:14 PM
By that token, that'll make MC fans BAGS or FUDS. :faf:

:faf:

Edinburgh Green
20-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Cheers, not a Man U fan so it makes his comments rather strange. :Ummm:

Haymaker
20-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Cheers, not a Man U fan so it makes his comments rather strange. :Ummm:

Anyone who isnt a "city supporter" now a days is immediately a RAG from what I have seen. Two city fans in my local who havent been very vocal about their support for football or city before last year now claim im a RAG even though Hibs are my team (and im vocal about that!) but support West Ham down here. Strange.

BigKev
20-08-2009, 03:05 PM
There must have been a load of you incognito amongst the Newcastle support then because I'm pretty sure away teams are only allocated up to 3,500.

That said, the Wednesday fans were quite noisy and added to the atmosphere.

Not sure about deserving a point though? If Newcastle had put a couple of the many first half chances they'd had then the game would have been well beyond Wednesday. You did come into a bit of a game midway through the second half, and at 1-0 there was always the chance you could have sneaked it, but I'm not sure you could claim it was deserved.

One thing I am sure we can both agree on though is that the referee was dreadful. I'm sure the whistle was somehow lodged in his mouth because he was blowing for free-kicks almost every time he took a breath! Prevented any sort of flow and, IMO, spoiled a potentially good game.

The referee was indeed torture as was the centre half Colloccinni - Johnston had him on toast first half.

Interesting how different sets of fans see the game - I thought Grant was untroubled bar the goal in the first half while Wednesday had two decent chances when Johnston was clean through and Michael Gray (:greengrin) knocked over the bar under pressure at the back post.

Second half Grant had a good save from Nolan's free kick as did Harper from Gray and the Owls knocked it about well IMHO.

Tudgay should have scored with a couple of minutes remaining when played in but Harper blocked his shot well.

Other than the Nolan free kick I thought the Toon were poor second half and Wednesday enjoyed the bulk of possession although both sides were lacking up front!

As for the 5000 it was a figure quoted to me by a few Wednesday fans when the tickets sold out so I presumed it to be correct :greengrin

StevieC
20-08-2009, 05:55 PM
The referee was indeed torture as was the centre half Colloccinni - Johnston had him on toast first half.

Interesting how different sets of fans see the game - I thought Grant was untroubled bar the goal in the first half while Wednesday had two decent chances when Johnston was clean through and Michael Gray (:greengrin) knocked over the bar under pressure at the back post.

Second half Grant had a good save from Nolan's free kick as did Harper from Gray and the Owls knocked it about well IMHO.

Tudgay should have scored with a couple of minutes remaining when played in but Harper blocked his shot well.

Other than the Nolan free kick I thought the Toon were poor second half and Wednesday enjoyed the bulk of possession although both sides were lacking up front!

As for the 5000 it was a figure quoted to me by a few Wednesday fans when the tickets sold out so I presumed it to be correct :greengrin

I think that is a fair assessment.

Colicini is indeed murder and if you had a goal scorer then you might have got a goal.

The chances I was talking about wasn't so much direct shots (although we did have 9 shots to your 4) but more the runs and cross balls that we failed to take advantage of in the first half. You did have more possession second half but never really created much with it (other than the chance you mention which Harper did well to smother).

The away end does only hold 3,500 though .. I checked on the official website.

judas
20-08-2009, 08:02 PM

I had never considered that angle.

Personally, I always percieve Newcastle fans as thick and naive.

I know it's wrong, but it's just the first connection I make when I think about Newcastle. Then rational thought attempts to convince me otherwise.