PDA

View Full Version : The Sending Off

hibsboy90
15-08-2009, 05:50 PM
The way the St Mirren players, and Gus MacPherson were protesting, you would think that the sending off was not at all deserved. From my seat in the west, it was clearly a two footed lunch, off the ground, a potential leg breaker.

Yes Cregg had gone in hard 5 seconds previously, but both players had in a 50:50 challenge, but the sending off was brutal. Cregg seems to be like this, hard but fair, and a tireless worker.

Not the cleanest game I'v seen, consistently both teams tripping each other up when tracking back etc. As well as when a challnge had been made, players kicking each other on the ground.

Gus MacPherson obviously likes his big physical players, and will cause teams problems this season.

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 05:54 PM
i hear from my dad that bbc had called the sending off fair. certainly looked it from the east.

heard some guys on the phone in that they thought it was harsh :bitchy: - st mirren fans that is!

hibbybrian
15-08-2009, 05:54 PM
The way the St Mirren players, and Gus MacPherson were protesting, you would think that the sending off was not at all deserved. From my seat in the west, it was clearly a two footed lunch, off the ground, a potential leg breaker.

Yes Cregg had gone in hard 5 seconds previously, but both players had in a 50:50 challenge, but the sending off was brutal. Cregg seems to be like this, hard but fair, and a tireless worker.

Not the cleanest game I'v seen, consistently both teams tripping each other up when tracking back etc. As well as when a challnge had been made, players kicking each other on the ground.

Gus MacPherson obviously likes his big physical players, and will cause teams problems this season.

Definitely worth a red card - and last season as a bit of a soft touch we would probably have been beaten by these tactics - top marks to Cregg and McBride for stamping their authority on the game :thumbsup:

lucky
15-08-2009, 06:03 PM
It was a straight red. the SFA should be hauling the thug up before them it was a two footed lunge over the ball. If Fletchers sending off against Hearts was correct then this was a stone waller.

GhostofBolivar
15-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes, Cregg had made three hard challenges before that. The difference is: he played the ball each time. Thompson's challenge was late, high and reckless. He fully deserved his red card.

I thought the referee had a decent game actually. Other than booking Hanlon in the second half, he got pretty much every major decision right.

givescotlandfreedom
15-08-2009, 06:07 PM
McPherson had a huge nerve arguing it but his side are talentless animals bar maybe Dorman so no surprises there.

Hibs Class
15-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Correct from the FF as well. Couldn't really see why they could have any complaint. They seemed to face up to the ref quite a few times after that as well.

hibees59
15-08-2009, 06:16 PM
From the west it looked a clear two footed (and reckless) challenge.

ronaldo7
15-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Correct from the FF as well. Couldn't really see why they could have any complaint. They seemed to face up to the ref quite a few times after that as well.

:agree:

They were constantly in the refs ear to get Hibs men carded. At one point after a foul their was 5 of them round the ref asking for a card.

Come on Gus...get it sorted

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2009, 06:51 PM
If the Fletcher " brown trout" tackle was a straight red then that tackle today was worth two. I would be surprised if GMcP even saw the tackle properly but it is his role to stick up for his team. The way his players chased the ref afterwards to try to get him to book home players was not very pleasant to watch however.:bitchy:

Ryan91
15-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I checked the Beeb during the match and they said the decision was the correct one, they described it as a 'reckless lunge', surely a (late) tackle like that would merit a straight red. St. Mirren fans afterwards were doing their heads in at every available opportunity to get the ref to award a penalty/free kick/booking/sending off for every single misdemeanour, and to be fair McPherson is a brainless idiot who enjoys moaning about refereeing decisions that go against them.

GIRFUY Gus!

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Higdon and Mehmet will be a nightmare for defenders this season... Can't help but feeling , we should've went for at least one of them... :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dunkin' Donut
15-08-2009, 08:34 PM
defo a red card, feet off the ground and over the top of the ball. very poor attempt at a tackle.

oconnors_strip
15-08-2009, 11:02 PM
shocking tackle! had a good view of it from the east and it was a near leg breaker. i actually screamed ouch when it happened. think when mcpherson and thomson see it on tv they will change their minds on their protesting.

Albanian Hibs
15-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Their fans, players and management team were moaning about everything. They got what they deserved.....nothing :agree:

Albanian Hibs
15-08-2009, 11:16 PM
and it was definately a red card :agree:

EskbankHibby
15-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Only real question was whether it deserved a custodial sentence or a red card, disgraceful challenge that was shin high.

A carreer finisher if Cregg is weight bearing when the challenge goes in, no debate.

Www1875hfc
15-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Their fans, players and management team were moaning about everything. They got what they deserved.....nothing :agree:
Exactly what i said. :agree:

down the slope
16-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I was too far away being up in the gods in the west but it looked two footed and the ref could not have been any nearer, to be fair to the ref he was never influenced by the opposition players or fans when they tried to get a Hibs player booked for any fifty fifty challenge.

Westie1875
16-08-2009, 12:09 PM
According to McPherson "there were worse challenges in the game which could have led to serious injuries" (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/454375/David-Wotherspoon-puts-HIbs-on-way-to-win-over-Saints-in-dramatic-game-at-Easter-Road.html)

Sorry Gus but that is utter nonsense, I certainly did not witness any.