PDA

View Full Version : McCann and Hanlon

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Both good defenders but going forward they offer nothing.

Yogi had to shout at them time and time again to get them bombing down either side and McCann just ignored him most of the time and Hanlon made like 1 run.
Good players and I like them both but not wing backs at all.

col02
15-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Given they are doing a different job that was expected of them last season i think today showed there is something to work with. We the fans need to be patient to change from the style of play last season to the one Hughes wants this season.

500miles
15-08-2009, 05:49 PM
McCann put in a couple of great crosses, and Hanlon cut inside on a number of occassions. How much attacking zest do you expect from a guy who has spent most of the last 18 months on a treatment table and a centre half!

stevensons-fan
15-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Disagree with your point on Hanlon. I watched him in pre season and he was bombing up and down the left wing, putting in some great crosses and getting on the end of a few shots too.

shamo9
15-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd give McCann the benefit of some time to fit into the system considering how long he's been out. He's certainly a big improvement on Van Zanten for me. He's capable of beating players and whipping the ball in, just needs to get a little bit of self belief that would have been shattered by his long lay off.

Don't agree with the criticism of Hanlon though. If anything we didn't pass it to him enough, and when we did it was far too slow, giving the opposition far too much time to regroup. If you want your fullbacks to run then play it in front of them, not behind them.

soupy
15-08-2009, 05:55 PM
i personally thought that McCann was blowing out his erse the 2nd half and he should have been off earlier, but it might be another 4 or 5 games before we see him back to his best, only my thoughts tho....:greengrin

GhostofBolivar
15-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I thought they both did well. They tired but they gave space and played some decent balls into the box. Hanlon certainly got into the box several times.

ancient hibee
15-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Their use of the ball was poor.Wotherspoon and Galbraith showed them how to deliver the ball.Wotherspoon in particular is good at putting the ball behind the defence at an awkward height.

Hiber-nation
15-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Yogi had to shout at them time and time again to get them bombing down either side and McCann just ignored him most of the time and Hanlon made like 1 run.

McCann put in more good crosses in the first half hour than DVZ did in the whole of last season.

Thought Stevenson might have been a better option than Hanlon when they were down to 10.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd give McCann the benefit of some time to fit into the system considering how long he's been out. He's certainly a big improvement on Van Zanten for me. He's capable of beating players and whipping the ball in, just needs to get a little bit of self belief that would have been shattered by his long lay off.

Don't agree with the criticism of Hanlon though. If anything we didn't pass it to him enough, and when we did it was far too slow, giving the opposition far too much time to regroup. If you want your fullbacks to run then play it in front of them, not behind them.

Spot on :agree:

lucky
15-08-2009, 06:05 PM
McCann seemed lost as soon as crossed the halfway line. He did put in a couple of decent early crosses. But he is no wing back.

oconnors_strip
15-08-2009, 06:08 PM

i know what you are getting at about mccann, but hanlon!!!!:confused::confused:

in the 1st half paul made numerous runs up the left flank, most of the time with no st mirren player near him. some of his crosses were brilliant, just noone in the box could connect with it. he also tracked back and made some good timed tackles. in the second half he was in the box quite a few times and nearly scored with one shot.

so who would you play as full backs?

Hibby Bairn
15-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I thought McCann was the main option on so many occasions today. held his wide position well....but no self-belief. Granted he put some decent crosses in but will never beat a man, hardly ever took the ball to feet and drove onwards. Wotherspoon did more attacking at RB in 15 mins than McCann did in 75.

IMO he will be playing for a team like Dundee or Partick in a couple of years time. Mainly due to lack of pace.

Onceinawhile
15-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Given that both players are hardly experienced, having played about what? thirty games between them? As well as this it's the start of the season, and Kevin McCann has been out for 18 odd months, lets cut them some slack, instead of moaning at them.

Personally, I was just pleased to see three players from the youth system (4 if you include Riordan, and with another three on the bench) starting the game and by all accounts doing well. Don't think many other teams will achieve that this season.

Badge
15-08-2009, 06:21 PM
McCann seemed lost as soon as crossed the halfway line. He did put in a couple of decent early crosses. But he is no wing back.
:agree:

Jones28
15-08-2009, 06:42 PM

What about McCanns' crosses? :confused:

Thought his deliveries were fantastic.

renato
15-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Agree with all of this :agree:

McCann surely can't be judged until he's fully match sharp again, and he's settled into the new playing style. He'll never be a Whittaker but he's twice as secure defensively. If he can work on his technique and crossing, he'll be a good RB for us.

I thought Hanlon showed real signs of class today. Yes he gave the ball away a couple of times and was partly culpable for the goal, but he's got a good touch and balance to him, showed a great engine up and down the left and got himself into the box a fair bit too. He was unlucky with a great shot which Gallagher saved. I think he'll be a real star for us as he matures.

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 06:43 PM
What about McCanns' crosses? :confused:

Thought his deliveries were fantastic.

Yes they were good but he is too scared to take a man on.

God Petrie
15-08-2009, 07:06 PM
To the plum who was sitting in front of me slating McCann at every opportunity:

You are a twat and I hope you don't have a season ticket there.

fife hfc
15-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I thought hanlon looked good but not totally convinced by McCann. However the young lad is just back from a long injury so I'll judge after 5 or 6 games.

BEEJ
15-08-2009, 07:38 PM

:rolleyes:

And this from one of the posters who fervently believes that Maka should be given yet another chance! :greengrin

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 07:39 PM
:rolleyes:

And this from one of the posters who fervently believes that Maka should be given yet another chance! :greengrin

Maka has more potential than any other player in the Hibs team IMO.

oconnors_strip
15-08-2009, 07:50 PM

:faf::faf:

obviously you dont have high hopes for the younger players in the 1st team.

give mccann a few matches to get his sharpness and confidence back then come on here and give us your opinion.

Jaz
15-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Thought McCann had the look of a very relieved man when he came off. And why not. Anyone who has played football knows what it is like to get through that first game back unscathed.

However Wotherspoon looked far more capable of beating his man and getting in a dangerous ball. And by that I mean a cross from the dead ball line whipped in and not a cross floated limply to the back post.

Still feel McCann is a good player who will come good for us.

Hiber-nation
15-08-2009, 08:24 PM
To criticise McCann after his first competitive game in god knows when is beyond belief. Thought he performed way above expectations, some tremendous crosses, pity there was no movement up front.

blackhibee
15-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Agree with all of this :agree:

McCann surely can't be judged until he's fully match sharp again, and he's settled into the new playing style. He'll never be a Whittaker but he's twice as secure defensively. If he can work on his technique and crossing, he'll be a good RB for us.

I thought Hanlon showed real signs of class today. Yes he gave the ball away a couple of times and was partly culpable for the goal, but he's got a good touch and balance to him, showed a great engine up and down the left and got himself into the box a fair bit too. He was unlucky with a great shot which Gallagher saved. I think he'll be a real star for us as he matures.

I totally agree with your comments about Hanlon, and the comment that McCann can't be judged just yet. But in his first few games for Hibs I thought McCann looked one of the most talented young players ever to play for Hibs. Whittaker, although a talented player, and great going forward,was in my opinion a very average defender at Hibs and was consistently caught out of position. If McCann can come forward more, and he certainly has the ability, I think he could become as good if not better than than Whittaker, but that's just my opinion of course.

EskbankHibby
15-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Both are good defenders and did their defensive role well today.

They both got subbed off as Yogi realised the full backs had no defensive duties to fulfill so put ATTACKING players in their stead.

Wotherspoon and Galbraith did really well and WE WON THE GAME!!!!!!

COME ON!!!!!

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Mcann hopefully will come back to be the player we hoped he would become before his injury. Although he imho will never be an overlapping full back. He did put in a few crosses, but most of the crosses were from the wrong angle, and easily headed away by the facing defenders.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Give em time chaps!

McCann has come back from some terrible injuries, has to get his stamina and match fitness up, AND learn a new role on top of that. Should take more than a few weeks, so let's judge him on his continuing progress.

Hanlon can do better in this role, and definitely has that sort of game.

Expecting Rain
16-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Hanlon being young will have his ups and downs and supporters should take his age and development into consideration when making a judgement, i think he has a great career in front of him.
McCann has just come back from a horrendous injury, i believe he`s more of a defender than a bombing past the opposition wing back, after watching some of the other misfits trying to play right back i`d cut him lots of slack.

Weir7
16-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Both lack match fitness as not done much pre season and McCann been out for 18 months. It will take time for them to get upto full speed.

In the first half McCann put in 5 or 6 good crosses but Nish and Deek are like statutes - no movement.

Hanlon may end longer term at centre half as not sure he has alot of pace for full back - a view shared by his youth coaches.

Im convinced they will both become good players for us. They'll get better with experience. Much rather watch young lads learning thier trade than Zarabi, DVZ and HKY of this world.

J-C
16-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Listening in on the radio, both were given a heap of praise for their attacking and their defending. From what I could gather both players were linking up superbly with the players in front, particularly McCann and Wotherspoon, who got MOM from the radio commentator.

TornadoHibby
16-08-2009, 10:34 AM
McCann put in a couple of great crosses, and Hanlon cut inside on a number of occassions. How much attacking zest do you expect from a guy who has spent most of the last 18 months on a treatment table and a centre half!

Take it easy! :wink:

The OP is only 18 yo so could hardly be said to be uber qualified in expressing a considered view of his own on what he saw yesterday IMHO! :agree:

I sat in a new (ST) seat for the first time yesterday and heard loads of "knee jerk" comments of ridiculous content and proportions and all very negative against individuals!

Hardly anything positive said about any of our players at a match when the dirge of last season was replaced by some excellent passing football involving on many occasions, McCann and Hanlon in forward attacking positions! Yes there are stil things to be looked at and improved and I'm sure that Yogi will be doing that but last season we would probably have lost to this team whereas yesterday we never looked like losing the game! :agree:

Good to see Benji back and with an excellent goal too! :wink:

Can't wait for next week now! :thumbsup:

Ritchie
16-08-2009, 10:37 AM
have to diasagree meeko.

thought the played really well considering they are not used to playing that role.

give them a few weeks to get into it and they'll both be perfect for the role.

McCann is better than DVZ.... by a country mile.:agree:

Frogga
16-08-2009, 12:20 PM
McCann is better than DVZ.... by a country mile.:agree:

Based on today's performance I disagree... Fair doos McCann has a long way to go after his injuries but I thought he had a poor game yesterday. Looked uncomfortable on the ball and played a lot of wayward and poor passes but I'm still glad that he's getting a chance and that the fans are behind him.

basehibby
16-08-2009, 12:28 PM

I agree - but think we need to show a bit of patience. They both needed to be looking to hit the byeline more often given that we were playing against ten men for 75mins. You could see the difference when we had Galbraith and Wotherspoon bombing down the flanks and I think that heaped on the added pressure which tipped the balance and lead to the winner.
The full backs will be getting drilled constantly and I think we'll see them get more comfortable with pushing forward as the season progresses.

--------
16-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Both are good defenders and did their defensive role well today.

They both got subbed off as Yogi realised the full backs had no defensive duties to fulfill so put ATTACKING players in their stead.

Wotherspoon and Galbraith did really well and WE WON THE GAME!!!!!!

COME ON!!!!!

GGTTH

:agree: I thought they both did well, Hanlon being seen more in attack than McCann. I'm not sure I want BOTH full-backs bombing up the line at every opportunity; I'd prefer one of them to stay back to help the centre-backs now and again.

They did their job effectively, then as you say Yogi subbed them and put on more attacking players with a view to winning the game, which we did. Danny Galbraith did well, as did Benji.

Young David Wotherspoon was a revelation yesterday. We had a nice blend of last season's players, new signings, and young players out; for the first competitive game together they did very well - if we ignore that daft 90 seconds when they scored.

I like the look of Paul Hanlon very much - he may be a centre-back right now, but so was Onion when he started, and he came on to be one of the best full-backs I've ever seen.

Kevin's working his way back from a very serious injury and won't be fully right for another couple of months yet, I'd say; but there was enough there yesterday to make me feel very encouraged for the season ahead. In his first competitive game back after that sort of injury, against a big, strong, physical opposition, he did very well.

Johnny_hfc
16-08-2009, 08:08 PM

:bye:
Hanlon got forward at times and was unlucky not to score with a good strike. McCann put in some good crosses and is just returning from a bad injury, give him time to get back to his best.

:faf:

500miles
16-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Take it easy! :wink:

The OP is only 18 yo so could hardly be said to be uber qualified in expressing a considered view of his own on what he saw yesterday IMHO! :agree:

My extra year on this earth must make all the difference! :wink:

I agree with the rest of your post btw. There was a boy behind me who was so obsessed with criticising Rankin, I though wee John must have pumped him the night before and dumped him that morning. It was irksome to say the least.

Hibs90
16-08-2009, 08:21 PM
:faf::faf:

obviously you dont have high hopes for the younger players in the 1st team.

give mccann a few matches to get his sharpness and confidence back then come on here and give us your opinion.

I do have high hopes for the younger players in the team. I just think Maka has more potential than anyone else in the current team, maybe bar Wotherspoon and Byrne but alot of potential.

Yes McCann looked low on confidence and match sharpness and I know he will get better as the games go on. I was just giving my opinion on them yesterday as I seen it.

scoopyboy
16-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I do have high hopes for the younger players in the team. I just think Maka has more potential than anyone else in the current team, maybe bar Wotherspoon and Byrne but alot of potential.

Yes McCann looked low on confidence and match sharpness and I know he will get better as the games go on. I was just giving my opinion on them yesterday as I seen it.

Nothing wrong on giving your opinion.

My take is;

McCann - I was surprised he played, I expected DVZ to play. it was always going to be a tough ask for him to last the full game.

Hanlon - Only returned to training on Thursday and was probably not back to full fitness after a strength sapping virus. Should be back to full fitness for this Saturday.

The fact that DVZ was in the stand makes me think he was either injured or is about to leave the building.

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 02:44 PM
:agree: I thought they both did well, Hanlon being seen more in attack than McCann. I'm not sure I want BOTH full-backs bombing up the line at every opportunity; I'd prefer one of them to stay back to help the centre-backs now and again.

They did their job effectively, then as you say Yogi subbed them and put on more attacking players with a view to winning the game, which we did. Danny Galbraith did well, as did Benji.

Young David Wotherspoon was a revelation yesterday. We had a nice blend of last season's players, new signings, and young players out; for the first competitive game together they did very well - if we ignore that daft 90 seconds when they scored.

I like the look of Paul Hanlon very much - he may be a centre-back right now, but so was Onion when he started, and he came on to be one of the best full-backs I've ever seen.

Kevin's working his way back from a very serious injury and won't be fully right for another couple of months yet, I'd say; but there was enough there yesterday to make me feel very encouraged for the season ahead. In his first competitive game back after that sort of injury, against a big, strong, physical opposition, he did very well.

Totally agree. Both are young and inexperienced and need to be given a bit of understanding and patience. Hanlon looks the better prospect and like you think that he will get better and better given encouragement. McCann is just back from a massive period off so it speaks volumes that he is anywhere near the first team at the moment. He is better defensively IMO so a reasonable balance between the 2 whether Yogi is considering other full back options is another thing.

Randerson_4
17-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Ive always thought of Hanlon as a future CB rather than leftback. doesnt seem to have the drive or burst of pace. but he is a good defender. Could be used as a left CB if we were to play 3 Cb's. not that I think we should play that system right enough

McCann ive always liked him, but still unsure

Cocaine&Caviar
17-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Am i the only one that thought that Hanlon had grown over the summer? He generally looked a lot stockier than last year, maybe it was just the gantry, he was registered as 5'10 - 5'11 last year, anyone think he has added a few inches?

hibernian1982
17-08-2009, 02:58 PM
To criticise McCann after his first competitive game in god knows when is beyond belief. Thought he performed way above expectations, some tremendous crosses, pity there was no movement up front.

This is the part I agree with...when we had the ball in the final 3rd of the pitch we needed Nish or Riordan to drop off, pull the defenders out and get someone running from midfield. I thought we looked to pass backwards too much.

On another note I was impressed with both Cregg and McBride in midfield. Passing and tackling excellent

brog
17-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Mcann hopefully will come back to be the player we hoped he would become before his injury. Although he imho will never be an overlapping full back. He did put in a few crosses, but most of the crosses were from the wrong angle, and easily headed away by the facing defenders.

Yep, spot on. Kevin is probably our best defensive full back but he's not a natural attacking player. If he can keep making the runs though it creates space elsewhere & I'm sure Yogi will be working on his crossing & distribution.
Regardless, great to see him back, I remember seeing a game from Pittodrie a couple of years back & in the tunnel beforehand Kevin was shouting, Come on now Hibees & generally geeing everyone up. we need more characters like that in the team IMO.