PDA

View Full Version : Nish.

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 04:55 PM
In everyone's opinion what should be said/done to the guy?

He, in my opinion, is a bit of a huddy, today showed this, apart from his presence there seems to be nothing really going for his season ahead, this isn't based solely on todays performance but on the whole of his last season.

Am I being harsh or is the opinion shared?

CallumHibs07
15-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Was awful today, but we seem to miss him when he's not playing.

Should have scores a couple but we know he can score, so lets give him (yet) another chance.

whereswallace?
15-08-2009, 04:58 PM

He, in my opinion, is a bit of a huddy, today showed this, apart from his presence there seems to be nothing really going for his season ahead, this isn't based solely on todays performance but on the whole of his last season.

I thought you were being a tad generous.The guy is a waste of a jersey.He spent half the game on his arse,cant hold a ball up,too slow,cant header a ball in the right direction,cant jump....have i missed anything?

erin-go-bragh87
15-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I think he has more than enough chances. It comes back to the old "IF he wasn't a hibby would be be so patient" argument.

hibee_girl
15-08-2009, 04:59 PM
He had a bad game today but I'm not gonna write him off yet, we do seem to miss him when he's not playing so going to wait and see how he is over the next few games first.

down-the-slope
15-08-2009, 04:59 PM
He was decent first 20 mins but then was losing battles and has yet to develop a first touch that retains the ball.

I can see Benji & Byrne putting him under pressure when both are fully fit for starting places

Cool_Hand_Luke
15-08-2009, 05:02 PM

We should be offering him back to Killie + 50k and getting Kyle in return :agree:

500miles
15-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Nish is a good player for us. His problem is, he's a big awkward guy, so every error looks that much worse. He was unfortunate not to score today, especially with the header which came of the crossbarr and hit the post. What i did notice is that he got into good positions frequently. He was commited to winning the ball as well - taking a kick in the face for his efforts. He'll have better days, but he seems to be taking a lot of unfair stick at the moment. Like has already been said, it's clear that we miss him when he doesn't play.

johnnyfelly
15-08-2009, 05:23 PM
nish`s worst bit today was when talked back to deeks when deeks was sneeking behind the keepers back,lol,apart from that he won a few headers in the first half and hit the bar in the second half,at least he trys.

givescotlandfreedom
15-08-2009, 05:26 PM
nish`s worst bit today was when talked back to deeks when deeks was sneeking behind the keepers back,lol,apart from that he won a few headers in the first half and hit the bar in the second half,at least he trys.

:agree: And his silly silly booking.

Baw187
15-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I firmly believe Nish will start the first 4 or 5 games... do nowt, then Benji or young Byrne will take his starting berth.

He can't stay off his chorus.

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 05:28 PM
i think our forward line MAY be a bit light weight without him.

on the other hand i hate seeing high floated balls going up to him.

so its a bit of a catch 22.

Monktonhall 7
15-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Probably a squad player who would be good to bring on if we want to mix it up a bit. Referees dont seem to like him much though, and although he was fouled loads of times today, every thing he did was pulled up by the ref. I think we need someone beter to lead the line. Hopefully it will be Byrne.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
15-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Nish is an empty shirt :agree: he will struggle to fit in with the new style of play, every move today broke down with him !!! :grr:

he'd be a perfect signing for the y ams tho !!! :jamboak:

easty
15-08-2009, 06:06 PM
i think it's a confidence thing, i think he actually could do a job for us.

Kevin Kyle is nae better a player. I can't argue he's putting the ball in the net but Kyle is still the same player he's always been.

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Definately true. And as said a couple of posts above, anytime the ball goes to him, the well worked move will break down. Hughes seems to be following Brian Cloughs theory of 'if the ball was meant to be played in the air there would be grass in the sky' sort of thing, which seemed to be what was in place today. Problem is Nish can't control a ball at his feet or on his head... based on that he's out IMO.

crash
15-08-2009, 06:10 PM
A clueless lump who will never fit into a football team. When he plays there is a tendency to lump high balls which bounce of his head. The header he missed today was easier to score. Benji done more in 20 mins than Nish done in 90, the same applied to Byrne in the Preston game. I know the happys will say he is a hibby and he gives 100%. He is just not good enough.

Hibby Bairn
15-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Will always score goals in SPL. Scores 1 in every 3 games on average.

ancient hibee
15-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Definately true. And as said a couple of posts above, anytime the ball goes to him, the well worked move will break down. Hughes seems to be following Brian Cloughs theory of 'if the ball was meant to be played in the air there would be grass in the sky' sort of thing, which seemed to be what was in place today. Problem is Nish can't control a ball at his feet or on his head... based on that he's out IMO.

In fact the truth is that the best move we had all day was started by Nish on the half way line -he was in it twice and only Cregg failing to find Wotherspoon with an easy pass stopped us scoring.He had an excellent header in the first half.He is much better on the ground than in the air and the ball should be played to him that way instead of these gentle lobs that our full backs played and are eaten up by any ordinary defender.He was a much more paying player last season(based on goals+assists)than Fletcher.

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 06:21 PM
In fact the truth is that the best move we had all day was started by Nish on the half way line -he was in it twice and only Cregg failing to find Wotherspoon with an easy pass stopped us scoring.He had an excellent header in the first half.He is much better on the ground than in the air and the ball should be played to him that way instead of these gentle lobs that our full backs played and are eaten up by any ordinary defender.He was a much more paying player last season(based on goals+assists)than Fletcher.

I never particularly rated Fletcher last season, I do agree about that being the best move, but right at the start of the mose the ball took a lucky bounce off Nish's knee past a St Mirren player. Also there were indeed other moves me managed to break up which may have created good chances also. The header he missed should have gone in, he is an SPL striker, no excuses, someone somewhere knew there was talent there, but Nish consistently fails to impress.

ancient hibee
15-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I never particularly rated Fletcher last season, I do agree about that being the best move, but right at the start of the mose the ball took a lucky bounce off Nish's knee past a St Mirren player. Also there were indeed other moves me managed to break up which may have created good chances also. The header he missed should have gone in, he is an SPL striker, no excuses, someone somewhere knew there was talent there, but Nish consistently fails to impress.
If everybody agreed about football what a dull world it would be.

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Certainly true, just a discussion though :agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
15-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Nish is a good player for us. His problem is, he's a big awkward guy, so every error looks that much worse. He was unfortunate not to score today, especially with the header which came of the crossbarr and hit the post. What i did notice is that he got into good positions frequently. He was commited to winning the ball as well - taking a kick in the face for his efforts. He'll have better days, but he seems to be taking a lot of unfair stick at the moment. Like has already been said, it's clear that we miss him when he doesn't play.

I agree entirely with your summary :agree:

And you :agree:

I have always thought too, that Colin is a better player if the ball is on the ground :agree:

Indeedee :thumbsup:

Colin takes some bashing up front, simply because he is a tall lad and has a proven goalscoring pedigree, and sometimes our players think that he can jump :bitchy: Jeezo, I think it's a lot harder for tall gangly fowards, Peter Crouch excepted :greengrin to jump that well, especially when you have two defenders in very close attendance IMO :agree:

Gie him a break IMO :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2009, 06:39 PM
We should be offering him back to Killie + 50k and getting Kyle in return :agree:

I lost count of the amount of times today that Nish went down holding his face and then rose from the dead when the ref was not interested. I don't think he contributed at all today. I would take Kyle over Nish any day.

cleanyman
15-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I thought he was absolutely dreadful today. He missed a sitter and was down on the ground far too often holding his face. Hes got the first touch of a brick wall.

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Nish is an empty shirt :agree: he will struggle to fit in with the new style of play, every move today broke down with him !!! :grr:

he'd be a perfect signing for the y ams tho !!! :jamboak:

That's the way I have been thinking as well... Now Benji is back and with Zouma to return , our play will be too quick for Nish and games will just bypass him......

Sir David Gray
15-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I am a fan of Colin Nish but he was very poor today.

If he gets to play a full season, I still maintain that he will be good for between 12-15 goals.

Expecting Rain
15-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Nish or Benji? it is a no brainer.

woody47
15-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Someone needs to teach him how to stay of his ar$e. It really sickens me to see him fall over at the least wee touch.
He needs to either beef up a bit and stand up and be counted or ship out.

CABBAGE & RIBS
15-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I didn't think he was that bad today.

andrew_dundee
15-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Nish is a decent enough SPL player who knows his limitations, adapts himself quite well and is guaranteed to score as long as he's in the SPL, this is the right level for him- he can't neccesarily do anything fancy but he's good at what he does

Shaggy
15-08-2009, 10:02 PM
nish wont be going to the premiership, but he will win matches for us this year,
thats all that counts to me.
#
Dont start comparisons with other players or we will get onto fletcher, and he was the most over hyped under achiever we have ever oversold on ..............

Go on Nishy !!!!

nanamag
15-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I lost count of the amount of times today that Nish went down holding his face and then rose from the dead when the ref was not interested. I don't think he contributed at all today. I would take Kyle over Nish any day.
i have been saying for a while now that nish is not as good as a lot of people think he is but though it was just me feeling like this, just does not do it for me sorry but thats the way i feel about him, i think there is better than him at the club who could do the job,:grr: well done to benji today:top marks

heretoday
15-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd sooner have JJ when he's fit.

cleanyman
15-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd sooner have JJ when he's fit.

I do rate JJ, just hope we can get him fit.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Nish irritates the *uck out of everyone, opposition players and us fans alike. He's an idiosynchratic nuisance who can't win a header, stay on his feet, control a ball, win a ball in the air, but I agree, he'll score 10-15 goals and that we're probably less effective without him.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2009, 11:24 PM
He's an awful player, never off his erse, the touch of a rapist, and softer than my mothers marshmallows. What do you think of that geegee.:bye: We need far better than him, shouldnt be difficult.

500miles
16-08-2009, 11:20 AM
He's an awful player, never off his erse, the touch of a rapist, and softer than my mothers marshmallows. What do you think of that geegee.:bye: We need far better than him, shouldnt be difficult.

Yet he will score between 10-15 goals a season and set up just as many. Interesting eh?

rebhar
16-08-2009, 11:39 AM
He's terrible! He kept on falling over and missed too many headers! Benji had one header and scored it. Benji and Riordan should be upfront IMO.

GreenPJ
16-08-2009, 11:47 AM
He struggled 2nd half particularly, however, he did more than Riordan.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Rubbish.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Yet he will score between 10-15 goals a season and set up just as many. Interesting eh?

I dont think so, in fact i'd be very surprised if he gets much pitch time if yogi can get who he wants in.

The_Todd
17-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Since when could Hibs do without the 12th all-time SPL top scorer?

A few more goals will see him move up this chart, as some of those ahead of him are either retired or no longer plying their trade in the SPL.

Ok, he's not the most graceful and he's not the most atheltic but for a team which more often than not lacks consistency, are we really wanting to get rid of someone who has consistently scored in his time in the SPL?

Big90inOz
17-08-2009, 09:25 AM
I really don't see what the guy brings to us, yes he scores goals but i would think any half decent striker should score 10 goals playing for us.

The guy is suppose to be a target man who can hold the ball up, how to you hold the ball up when your first touch more often than not ends up with the ball 10m away ? He should be bossing the defenders, very rarely does. Infact he's the one always getting knocked about.

He slips and trips his way through games constantly being caught off side.

Sorry to say as I thought he would be a good buy, it' just hasn't worked in my opinion.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 09:26 AM
half decent striker should score 10 goals playing for us.

See what you did there?

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I really don't see what the guy brings to us, yes he scores goals but i would think any half decent striker should score 10 goals playing for us.

The guy is suppose to be a target man who can hold the ball up, how to you hold the ball up when your first touch more often than not ends up with the ball 10m away ? He should be bossing the defenders, very rarely does. Infact he's the one always getting knocked about.

Sorry to say as I thought he would be a good buy, it' just hasn't worked in my opinion.

:top marks Courier would get 10 goals a season playing for hibs, he would not spend all game either on his erse, or offside. He's a waste of time, never good enough, someone we need to replace sharpish.

Calvin
17-08-2009, 10:20 AM

I agree totally. He's not an absolutely dire striker but it just doesn't work with him.

Van Nasten 34
17-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Since when could Hibs do without the 12th all-time SPL top scorer?

A few more goals will see him move up this chart, as some of those ahead of him are either retired or no longer plying their trade in the SPL.

Ok, he's not the most graceful and he's not the most atheltic but for a team which more often than not lacks consistency, are we really wanting to get rid of someone who has consistently scored in his time in the SPL?

I agree,time to lay off the big man.He's never going to be a Riordan or Benji but he wears the jersey with pride and as a few correctly pointed out we are better with him in the side than not.

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2009, 10:30 AM
If it's possible to be both utter garbage but highly effective, then it's the great enigma that is Colin Nish. He was dreadful on Saturday but could easily have had two goals with a bit of luck.

I think his secret is that as much as he annoys and exasperates us on the terraces with his awkward style, he has the same effect on opposition defenders.

Nish is a proven SPL striker and I an easily see him getting 10-15 goals this year.

It certainly won't be pretty though.

davemcbain
17-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I agree with a lot of what has been said - he could have had a couple of goals...he didn't. To be honest he never looked likely to get one either.

I've seen a few games where he looked the biz, but seen a lot more where like Saturday he fell over like someone had kicked his zimmer frame from under him. He also showed the pace of a zimmer user. Unfortunately the old head was missing when it came to positional sense and making space for himself.

There is a class of player who can fling themselves to the ground when a defender gets within a foot of them (Ronaldo, Klinsmann even Nacho Novo) but Nish ain't in that class.

I'd love to see the manager take Nish aside and explain to him that either he builds himself up, stays on his feet and cuts the mouthing off or he can sling his hook.

The player he could be would be a real asset. The player he is, is lacking the et.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 10:47 AM
To be honest he never looked likely to get one either.

You don't count a diving header that went inches past and another which hit the bar as looking likely to score? :dunno:

davemcbain
17-08-2009, 10:53 AM
You don't count a diving header that went inches past and another which hit the bar as looking likely to score? :dunno:

Nope :greengrin

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Nope :greengrin

I see.

You must think Deek's pish then. :wink:

davemcbain
17-08-2009, 10:56 AM
You must think Deek's pish then. :wink:

Deek is a different class (along with three or four others in the current side) - light years better than Nish.

I do agree with my missus that the club should invest in an anger management session or two for him though :wink:

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Deek is a different class (along with three or four others in the current side) - light years better than Nish.

I do agree with my missus that the club should invest in an anger management session or two for him though :wink:

Indeed. On both counts. :agree:

I was merely highlighting the fact that Colin Nish came closer to scoring than Deek.

As, of course, you know.

Big90inOz
17-08-2009, 11:06 AM
i honestly would love to see the big man do well in a Hibs shirt :agree: i just don't thing he is effective enough and is the reason many moves break down.

davemcbain
17-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Indeed. On both counts. :agree:

I was merely highlighting the fact that Colin Nish came closer to scoring than Deek.

As, of course, you know.

On this occassion true - but when Deeks gets the ball, you think he can score...results over the season will show the gulf between them as they did last season (where one of the two didn't do the whole term)

Jack
17-08-2009, 11:10 AM
He’s been managing around 10 goals a season with a poor Killie side and dare I say it a none too prolific scoring Hibs side since he's been here. Add to that half that number in assists.

Imagine what he’d be like with a bit of quality service? Well you'll have to imagine, because IMO he's never had that luxury.

Like many others and I’ve said it too … start him, if he's not in form it will be pretty apparent very soon and if that’s the case hook him at half time or before, he’ll have roughed up a few defenders in that time.

He’s scored some good goals for us, important goals, so I wouldn’t want to see him discarded the way some others do.

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2009, 11:14 AM
He’s been managing around 10 goals a season with a poor Killie side and dare I say it a none too prolific scoring Hibs side since he's been here. Add to that half that number in assists.

Imagine what he’d be like with a bit of quality service? Well you'll have to imagine, because IMO he's never had that luxury.

Like many others and I’ve said it too … start him, if he's not in form it will be pretty apparent very soon and if that’s the case hook him at half time or before, he’ll have roughed up a few defenders in that time.

He’s scored some good goals for us, important goals, so I wouldn’t want to see him discarded the way some others do.

He’s been much better than I expected when we signed him I thought he was murder but he seems to play well in a partnership – I reckon most of Fletcher’s goals last season were assisted by Nish. If he’s got a partner up with him I’d expect them to get 30 goals between them.

Hibbyradge
17-08-2009, 11:22 AM
On this occassion true - but when Deeks gets the ball, you think he can score...results over the season will show the gulf between them as they did last season (where one of the two didn't do the whole term)

Which is why I pulled you up for being unfair when you said he didn't even look like scoring.

[B] but when Deeks gets the ball, you think he can score...results over the season will show the gulf between them as they did last season (where one of the two didn't do the whole term)

I'm not suggesting for a second that Deek isn't a better goal scorer but CN gives us a lot of presence up front and that will help Deek and Benji.

nish hasn't given us a bad return since he came to the club though.

12 goals from 51 appearances (8 as a sub) isn't that bad.

That's a better average than our born again hero, Benji, who has scored 16 goals in 71 appearances (35 as a sub).

Stats, eh?

Crazyhorse
17-08-2009, 11:28 AM
To me Nish is a bit of an enigma. When watching him at a game he always seems to be stumbling around the pitch not achieving very much. However whenever I watch the highlights of Hibs games he always seems to contribute a lot to anything positive that the team does.

Expecting Rain
17-08-2009, 11:32 AM
The only time Nish wins a ball in the air is when he`s jumping with himself, any other time he is on his erse clutching his head and looking at the referee for a foul, Hogg`s best games must come about in training where he possibly looks like John Terry up against Nish on a daily basis thus his automatic selection and captaincy.

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Never a lone striker in a million years.

And seeing as thats how Hughes sets out then its pretty clear he aint the answer, wether Benji can do a better job remaind to be seen.

One thin for sure is if you play the 433-451 formation the lone striker has to be capable of holding up the ball and linking play as well as being good in the air and scoring..

Would have liked us to have signed Feeney from Cardiff, but certainly someone of that ilk!

bingo70
17-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Never a lone striker in a million years.

And seeing as thats how Hughes sets out then its pretty clear he aint the answer, wether Benji can do a better job remaind to be seen.

One thin for sure is if you play the 433-451 formation the lone striker has to be capable of holding up the ball and linking play as well as being good in the air and scoring..

Would have liked us to have signed Feeney from Cardiff, but certainly someone of that ilk!

:agree:

Poor mans Kris Boyd, seems to generate the same debate about what an attacker should bring to the team, Nish just doesn't score as many goals.

Playing up front with a forward that makes space and creates chances for him Nish will definately score goals, however up front on his own with 2 guys coming in from out wide is never going to work.

I'd like us to keep him as a squad player as he could be usefull to bring off the bench but i'm not keen on him starting as our main striker every week.

Leith Green
17-08-2009, 01:30 PM
:agree:

Poor mans Kris Boyd, seems to generate the same debate about what an attacker should bring to the team, Nish just doesn't score as many goals.

Playing up front with a forward that makes space and creates chances for him Nish will definately score goals, however up front on his own with 2 guys coming in from out wide is never going to work.

I'd like us to keep him as a squad player as he could be usefull to bring off the bench but i'm not keen on him starting as our main striker every week.

Yeah he is probably a good option to throw on if you are chasing a goal and gonna change to two or three strikers, however with the wage he will be on I'd rather he was let go and replaced with a new Killen/O connor type

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Nish is a decent enough SPL player who knows his limitations, adapts himself quite well and is guaranteed to score as long as he's in the SPL, this is the right level for him- he can't neccesarily do anything fancy but he's good at what he does

Sums it up really, he will score goals and probably should have had a couple today. He is playing up front in a lone role to a large extent which IMO doesnt suit him that much. Dont think he is a bad as some are making out.

Hibbyradge
18-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Those of you who are condemning Colin Nish's performance on Saturday should listen again to what Yogi said in his last interview.

Nish's main job was to occupy the 2 centre backs in order to allow others space in which to play.

I think he did that.

GreenPJ
18-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Just imagine if Nish scored more than Deek this season, what would that make him?:devil:

Hibbyradge
18-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Just imagine if Nish scored more than Deek this season, what would that make him?:devil:

Don't get confused between imagination and hallucination. :wink:

RIP
18-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Provided Benji applies himself how would a Nish/Benji forward line work?

Fletch and Nish worked well together

Benji doesn't appear to have Fletch's aerial ability but is strong on either foot

ancient hibee
18-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Because Nish is big there's a perception he's a targetman-he's not-he's also far better with the ball at his feet than playing with his back to goal.Because of his style he must be murder to play against.He'll obviously be starting for the next few games as Benji is nowhere near fit.

hibsbollah
18-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Because Nish is big there's a perception he's a targetman-he's not-he's also far better with the ball at his feet than playing with his back to goal.Because of his style he must be murder to play against.He'll obviously be starting for the next few games as Benji is nowhere near fit.

:confused: He looked pretty fit to me, although he wasnt on long enough to know for sure. Hes lost a bit of weight too. Nish was puffing and panting early in the second half.

The_Todd
19-08-2009, 06:44 AM
well i think everyone would agree, riordan and benji, or riordan and pish? Even if we get stokes deeko could drop back into midfield, nish should be sub no doubt.:rolleyes: and the amount of clear cut chances he misses is unbelievable.

A bit like Fletch then. :rolleyes:

Jack
19-08-2009, 07:03 AM
well i think everyone would agree, riordan and benji, or riordan and pish? Even if we get stokes deeko could drop back into midfield, nish should be sub no doubt.:rolleyes: and the amount of clear cut chances he misses is unbelievable.

For being among the best strikers in the world I’m surprised Ronaldo and Kaka miss so many!

:shhhsh!: Don’t tell anyone but I once saw Ronaldinho miss a sitter!!

Hibbyradge
19-08-2009, 07:13 AM

First post and already so disrespectful of one of our players and fellow Hibs supporter.

You'll fit in well here. :bitchy:

NGH
19-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Colin Nish is scoring goals for Hibs at the same rate he did for Kilmarnock. Since he joined Hibs we have generally been making chances for him at about the same rate Killie did. To have been expecting more under those circumstances is like not reading the label before buying the product.

He is certainly not the epitome of the beautiful game but I'll agree with those who think he contributes more than he takes away. Make more chances and Nish will score more goals.