PDA

View Full Version : Hogg or Maka

H18sry
15-08-2009, 04:51 PM
What is everybody's view on who was at fault for the ST Mirren goal,

I thought Hogg back pass was kind of strong and on Maka's wrong foot, then when Maka went out finally cleared it he was slow getting back into his goal and when the cross came in he was totally out of position and caught in no man's land, But no doubt the knives will be out for both of them :rolleyes:

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 04:53 PM
By the playful slap Hughes gave him after full time, seemed to show he felt it to be Maka's fault, at least it was recovered.

IMO it was Maka's poor positioning.

hibee_girl
15-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Down to both of them imo

Hogg's backpass was awful putting Maka under pressure but then once Maka had cleared the ball he went for a walkabout

whereswallace?
15-08-2009, 04:54 PM
IMO Hanlon has to take some blame once the ball eventually fel to him but Maka should never have let it get to that stage!!

Just a catalogue of errors.

random sub
15-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hogg's poor pass led to Maka digging himself deeper and deeper. If Hogg hadn't played such a bad pass it would never have been a goal so I suppose he is to blame the most IMO!

shamo9
15-08-2009, 04:58 PM
All three (Hanlon, Maka and Hogg) were at fault for the goal. That being said there wouldn't have been a problem if Hogg had used a bit of common sense. He knows just as well as we do that Maka can falter in pressure situations, no need to create one ourselves.

As a team they should be helping each other overcome their weaknesses rather than exposing them.

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Hogg's fault. Terrible pass.

Cool_Hand_Luke
15-08-2009, 05:04 PM
All three (Hanlon, Maka and Hogg) were at fault for the goal. That being said there wouldn't have been a problem if Hogg had used a bit of common sense. He knows just as well as we do that Maka can falter in pressure situations, no need to create one ourselves.

As a team they should be helping each other overcome their weaknesses rather than exposing them.

:agree:

Sprouleflyer
15-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Comical defending all started by a terrible passback from Hogg, who in my view had a poor game today.

I just wish we would stop making it so easy for teams to score against us!!!

CentreLine
15-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Down to both of them imo

Hogg's backpass was awful putting Maka under pressure but then once Maka had cleared the ball he went for a walkabout

Change of keeper for next week. Stack would not allow that kind of slackness I do not believe. If we had an alternative to Hogg then I would like to see both of them cool their jets on the bench

TrinityHibs
15-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Other than that howler I thought the defence played well today. McCann and Hanlon both put in some great crosses and the passing out of defence was dramatically better than last year

RickyS
15-08-2009, 05:11 PM
IMO Hanlon has to take some blame once the ball eventually fel to him but Maka should never have let it get to that stage!!

Just a catalogue of errors.

Hogg should have played a better ball, but Maka should have controlled it better and he played the ball far too hard to Hanlon.
I dont think Stack will be worrying about sitting on the bench too long.

IMO Maka has used up his lives, he will always be an error prone goalkeeper and I hope Stack is the answer.

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Change of keeper for next week. Stack would not allow that kind of slackness I do not believe. If we had an alternative to Hogg then I would like to see both of them cool their jets on the bench

You are joking right? You can't drop Maka for that.

ScottB
15-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Based on? We haven't seen anything of Stack yet.

Judas Iscariot
15-08-2009, 05:13 PM
A culmination of all 3 but for me Hogg should shoulder the blame!

Started with his rank pass back when as always he's passing the buck to someone else! As captain he needs to take more responsibility and stop putting his team mates under pressure with gash passes...

The only blot on a good day today..

Hiber-nation
15-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Comical defending all started by a terrible passback from Hogg, who in my view had a poor game today.

I just wish we would stop making it so easy for teams to score against us!!!

Aye, Hogg never seems to learn from his mistakes. Might be the ideal pro and all that but he just can't seem to eradicate these errors from his game. Will continue to cost us big time as I just don't see any improvement in him.

Beefster
15-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I thought Hogg, Maka and Hanlon were to blame but Hogg was terrible for the entire game. I'd imagine that being captain now that he's pretty much undroppable.

Hibster
15-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Seemed to me like it mostly Maka's fault but I didn't have a great view - what actually happened? How did the ball end up back with St Mirren?

After fumbling the cross Maka should have stayed on his line but for some reason went chasing it. Aside from that I thought he had a decent game though, don't think he deserves to be dropped based on one error

Gala Foxes
15-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Hogg - made an arse of the passback

Golden Bear
15-08-2009, 05:28 PM

YOU are joking right?

Admittedly a poor pass back from Hogg, but from my seat behind the goal , Maka had plenty of time to clear his lines. He misjudged the pace on the ball and thereafter it was a catalogue of errors.

It's time for our new keeper to enter the stage without a shadow of a doubt.

johnnyfelly
15-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Hanlon cant be blamed at all,hogg should have hoofed it,maka should have hoofed both had chances to do it,both never,3 points though,job done :thumbsup:

BEEJ
15-08-2009, 05:34 PM
It will be interesting to see what Hughes decides. But if he's going to rid Hibs of this 'soft-touch' mantle, he won't tolerate GK blunders like that for long.

That's the first match of this season and the last match of last season when cheap goals have been conceded due either in full or in part to poor judgement / lapses of concentration on the part of the GK.

SON OF PADDY
15-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Down to both of them imo

Correct Answer Hibee_girl :top marks

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:38 PM
YOU are joking right?

Admittedly a poor pass back from Hogg, but from my seat behind the goal , Maka had plenty of time to clear his lines. He misjudged the pace on the ball and thereafter it was a catalogue of errors.

It's time for our new keeper to enter the stage without a shadow of a doubt.

It will be interesting to see what Hughes decides. But if he's going to rid Hibs of this 'soft-touch' mantle, he won't tolerate GK blunders like that for long.

That's the first match of this season and the last match of last season when cheap goals have been conceded due either in full or in part to poor judgement / lapses of concentration on the part of the GK.

Benji got his second chance after ****ing Hibs up it so why can't Maka get another chance? New season new start so don't give me any of this "its been error after error" pish. Hogg was at fault for the goal today, although I do agree Maka should have just punted it out the park.

If he hadn't received the pish pass in the first place it wouldn't have happened. Im a big fan of Hogg's but he was rubbish today.

RickyS
15-08-2009, 05:38 PM

:top marks:

Golden Bear
15-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Benji got his second chance after ****ing Hibs up it so why can't Maka get another chance? New season new start so don't give me any of this "its been error after error" pish. Hogg was at fault for the goal today, although I do agree Maka should have just punted it out the park.

If he hadn't received the pish pass in the first place it wouldn't have happened. Im a big fan of Hogg's but he was rubbish today.

Sorry -------- but Maka has had more than his fair share of second chances already.
I don't like criticising our players but the truth is Maka is just not good enough. Too many basic errors and worryingly he seems incapable of learning from his mistakes.

Badge
15-08-2009, 05:44 PM
A culmination of all 3 but for me Hogg should shoulder the blame!

Started with his rank pass back when as always he's passing the buck to someone else! As captain he needs to take more responsibility and stop putting his team mates under pressure with gash passes...

The only blot on a good day today..

RickyS
15-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry -------- but Maka has had more than his fair share of second chances already.
I don't like criticising our players but the truth is Maka is just not good enough. Too many basic errors and worryingly he seems incapable of learning from his mistakes.

he is working with a new coach, so another couple of months should give us an idea of whether its him or the coaching,
last chance saloon fast approaching

erin-go-bragh87
15-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Can we not just be happy with the win without picking at it and trying to find the next Scapegoat at Easter Road??!!

--------
15-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Hogg IMO should have done the simple thing and punted the ball into the West Stand. That way he would have given himself, Maka and the rest of the team time to get set for a dead-ball situation, and it would have prevented St Mirren from building up any momentum.

The pass-back was awful - just exactly the ball the St Mirren player would have played into the box if he had had the ball and been clever enough to think of it. (I don't think he was, actually - clever enough, that is.)

Once Maka had scrambled it clear of the goal-mouth (for a moment I thought it was going in) HE should have put it out of the park, not passed it to Hanlon who IMO was put under pressure needlessly.

From that moment everything went from a guddle to total disaster. What wasn't needed was Maka having the rush of blood to the head that took him way off his line - if he'd stayed put I'd have backed him to save the shot, which was a good one but not so close to the bar as to be unsaveable.

Frustratingly, I thought that apart from that daft 90 seconds the defence did OK today.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
15-08-2009, 05:55 PM

I thought Hogg back pass was kind of strong and on Maka's wrong foot, then when Maka went out finally cleared it he was slow getting back into his goal and when the cross came in he was totally out of position and caught in no man's land, But no doubt the knives will be out for both of them :rolleyes:

a bit of both i think - if one or the other had just booted it out, there would have been no problem !!!...other than that mistake both looked solid - and didn't panic even when the high balls were coming in the last 5 mins !!!

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:57 PM

But its a new season new start, if Benji can get a second chance then Maka can too.

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Hogg should've done the simple thing and put the ball into the stand... A ball in the stand isn't going to do any damage is it ???

--------
15-08-2009, 06:02 PM
a bit of both i think - if one or the other had just booted it out, there would have been no problem !!!...other than that mistake both looked solid - and didn't panic even when the high balls were coming in the last 5 mins !!!

I think Yogi has been stressing the need to play short passes - some of the passing today was excellent; although I concede we have a fair way to go still, there were a lot of very well-worked moves and I thought we could easily have won more decisively by the end of the game.

I agree that they were both at fault; I wouldn't make scapegoats of either, though. As you say, the team didn't panic, worked their way to the win, and (I thought) dealt with the bit pressure they tried to exert at the end without problems.

ancient hibee
15-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Maka was also pretty poor at claiming corners -he jumped for one in the second half and didn't get anything on it-however at least he clattered an opponent in the first half-I'd like to see him do that more often.

GhostofBolivar
15-08-2009, 06:09 PM
A lot of both. Terrible back pass, terrible control, suicidal pass to Hanlon, who gives it away. Then the defence didn't recover as a whole. Enough blame to go around for everyone.

Could have gone a lot better. The scary thing is that it wasn't unlike Preston's second goal.

hibees59
15-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Hogg's back pass wasn't great. Maka's pass to Hanlon wasn't great. But I have to say that Hanlon was the person who put us in trouble, he tried to beat the attacker and lost the ball. Any of the 3 of them could have put the ball in the stands. Let that be a lesson to all three concerned. Apart from that, good game and good result.

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Radio Scotland absolutely hammered Maka for it. It's just another one for the list.

The same list that folk denied existed last week when they were trying to divert the blame to someone else, much like they are on this thread.

Stack should be in next week - it's no good having a keeper that has a couple of good games then chucks in a stinker.

Hibs Spain
15-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Radio Scotland absolutely hammered Maka for it. It's just another one for the list.

The same list that folk denied existed last week when they were trying to divert the blame to someone else, much like they are on this thread.

Stack should be in next week - it's no good having a keeper that has a couple of good games then chucks in a stinker.I'll lend you... Sorry.. Gift you the entry money to a game so you can base your opinions on something you actually saw.Then once i've had confirmation that you really did attend the game i'll be be able to give some credence to your inane drivel...

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I'll lend you... Sorry.. Gift you the entry money to a game so you can base your opinions on something you actually saw.Then once i've had confirmation that you really did attend the game i'll be be able to give some credence to your inane drivel...

Would I have to sit beside you?

If you're at the game you can't hear what they say on the radio? Or if you're at the game you can't get a text phone-call from someone who is listening to the radio?

--------
15-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Stack should be in next week - it's no good having a keeper that has a couple of good games then chucks in a stinker.

He didn't have a 'stinker'.

He got it wrong. So did Chris Hogg. So maybe did one or two others in the midst of the mayhem - it was hard to see.

NONE of it would have happened if Chris had done what I think he should have done, which is put it well up into the West Stand for a throw-in, to allow himself and his defence to re-group and get properly set to deal with that throw-in. Error of judgement, first in a series of errors. But for the rest of the game he and Maka and the team actually played pretty well all told.

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 06:54 PM
He didn't have a 'stinker'.

He got it wrong. So did Chris Hogg. So maybe did one or two others in the midst of the mayhem - it was hard to see.

NONE of it would have happened if Chris had done what I think he should have done, which is put it well up into the West Stand for a throw-in, to allow himself and his defence to re-group and get properly set to deal with that throw-in. Error of judgement, first in a series of errors. But for the rest of the game he and Maka and the team actually played pretty well all told.

I meant a stinking mistake rather than the game as a whole. As I've been saying he'll have a few good games on the bounce then chuck one in.

Or is it the fault of the goalie coach? :devil:

NaeTechnoHibby
15-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Hogg's back pass wasn't great. Maka's pass to Hanlon wasn't great. But I have to say that Hanlon was the person who put us in trouble, he tried to beat the attacker and lost the ball. Any of the 3 of them could have put the ball in the stands. Let that be a lesson to all three concerned. Apart from that, good game and good result.

Agreed, not a good passage of play :bitchy:

It will take time to bed the defence in though :agree:

Hibby 2005
15-08-2009, 07:02 PM
It probably won't happen next week but at some point during the season Maka will be replaced for good and I don't envy having to be Yogi in that situation as it will probably spell the beginning of the end of Maka's career at ER. He is a fantastic shot-stopper but an inconsistent catcher of crosses and that is what ulimately cost us the goal today - he dropped the ball, a relatively simple catch for a keeper of his size.

NaeTechnoHibby
15-08-2009, 07:06 PM
It probably won't happen next week but at some point during the season Maka will be replaced for good and I don't envy having to be Yogi in that situation as it will probably spell the beginning of the end of Maka's career at ER. He is a fantastic shot-stopper but an inconsistent catcher of crosses and that is what ulimately cost us the goal today - he dropped the ball, a relatively simple catch for a keeper of his size.

He's a 'clumsy' catcher of the ball, but he does have the makings of a really good goalie IMO :agree:

He needs a lot more practice at actually catching balls, and I would try and get some basketball coaches to coach him :agree:

Just my opinion :greengrin

Hibs Spain
15-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Would I have to sit beside you?

If you're at the game you can't hear what they say on the radio? Or if you're at the game you can't get a text phone-call from someone who is listening to the radio?You'd have to sit close enough for me to be able to confirm that you'd been to the match.To sit beside me I would have to move my trusted lieutanant for the day... The sacrifice might be worth it though. I might be able to teach you something about the game..:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 07:15 PM
You'd have to sit close enough for me to be able to confirm that you'd been to the match.To sit beside me I would have to move my trusted lieutanant for the day... The sacrifice might be worth it though. I might be able to teach you something about the game..:greengrin

:aok: Let me know when and where. :greengrin

Si_17
15-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Without doubt, Hogg's fault in my opinion.

BEEJ
15-08-2009, 07:20 PM

:hilarious

I take it then that you'll be as forthright with Hughes if he decides in the next week or so that Stack should get the GK jersey?

The facts are that Benji is on more than his second chance with Hibs ... third / fourth / fifth whatever. Just because he scored today doesn't make him a shoe-in for a starting position in the next match. Came on as 'super-sub' and made a great contibution. But that's it; so let's not compare the two.

Maka too has had several opportunities to make good; he is already way beyond his second chance. Stack would have punted that appalling passback today into row Z and then given Hogg a bollocking for it.

I guess we need to see what Hughes decides. I await with interest. :cool2:

Hibee_Rab
15-08-2009, 07:20 PM
A lot of people say hogg had a bad game today. I've gotta disagree, he had that one terrible back pass but otherwise he played fairly well, often it was just him and bamba at the back when St mirren broke forward. I wasn't a big fan of his runs forwards though.

Johnny_hfc
15-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Hopefully Ma-Kalamity will be dropped after that.

He is a liability and the sooner he is away the better. Stack in next week.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Down to both of them imo

Hogg - made an arse of the passback

Hanlon cant be blamed at all,hogg should have hoofed it,maka should have hoofed both had chances to do it,both never,3 points though,job done :thumbsup:

Correct Answer Hibee_girl :top marks

:agree: Hoggy is one of my favourite players but have to admit, he was def at fault for their goal.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll lend you... Sorry.. Gift you the entry money to a game so you can base your opinions on something you actually saw.Then once i've had confirmation that you really did attend the game i'll be be able to give some credence to your inane drivel...

Sorry, but no need for being sarcastic. Not every Hibs fan in the world can go to games for all sorts of reasons. You are out of order HS :tsk tsk:

cleanyman
15-08-2009, 07:33 PM
All three for me. Dreadful pass-back by Hogg, Maka failed to clear, Hanlon failed to clear. Other than that, i thought our defence played well plus Maka had rarely anything to do.

stubru59
15-08-2009, 07:37 PM
This, it wisnae Maka's fault argument is becoming a bit of a joke.

From where I was, it just seemed like an over-hit pass back that Maka could and should have dealt with.

Not good enough, as simple as that.

zlatan
15-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Interesting thread, so many different perceptions of the incident from fans, although I think personal opinions is swaying a few folks responses :cool2:

From where I was in the South (not the greatest of views granted) the passback was rank but didn't have any real damage as to where the goal came from imo, Maka gave it to Hanlon, who appeared to have more than enough time and space to punt it but instead appeared to just run into Dorman. From there it was all about Maka as he chased the ball like an excited puppy trying to hard to salvage the situation. The entire goal was an embarrassment but in my view the passback was the least of the problems that led to it.

Would I drop Maka off the back of it? Absolutely not.

oconnors_strip
15-08-2009, 07:46 PM

:agree: hanlon went mental at maka telling him he should have punted the ball somewhere and not put him under pressure.

He's a 'clumsy' catcher of the ball, but he does have the makings of a really good goalie IMO :agree:

He needs a lot more practice at actually catching balls, and I would try and get some basketball coaches to coach him :agree:

Just my opinion :greengrin

from watching basketball at all levels in scotland, england and america, maka would need a hell alot of coaching for him even to hold a basketball. :greengrin

Taz_hibee
15-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Have watched goal on tv and all this about Maka flapping and should have held ball is total pish from the Maka haters, Hogg's pass back was shocking, Maka passed to Hanlon who made a complete arse of beating the forward and when cross came in Maka managed to palm away at full stretch then tried to bloke the shot as the rest of the defence stood like statues.
it is a joke how so many know what a great keeper Stack is when he has never played for us.
We won today so stop trying to look for faults in every goal we lose and there will be many over a season and just enjoy 3 points and a victory

Sir David Gray
15-08-2009, 07:49 PM
If Hogg hadn't given Makalambay such a shocking backpass to begin with, it wouldn't have come to anything.

After the backpass though, I don't think Makalambay covered himself in much glory.

I think Hogg has to take the biggest share of the blame, though.

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 07:51 PM
If Hogg hadn't given Makalambay such a shocking backpass to begin with, it wouldn't have come to anything.

After the backpass though, I don't think Makalambay covered himself in much glory.

I think Hogg has to take the biggest share of the blame, though.

If Hogg had put the ball into the stand to begin with , then it wouldn't have came to anything.....

Hibby 2005
15-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Have watched goal on tv and all this about Maka flapping and should have held ball is total pish from the Maka haters, Hogg's pass back was shocking, Maka passed to Hanlon who made a complete arse of beating the forward and when cross came in Maka managed to palm away at full stretch then tried to bloke the shot as the rest of the defence stood like statues.
it is a joke how so many know what a great keeper Stack is when he has never played for us.
We won today so stop trying to look for faults in every goal we lose and there will be many over a season and just enjoy 3 points and a victory

I have absolutely no doubt that Stack will catch crosses better than Maka. What is in doubt is whether he will be a better shot-stopper. There lies the conundrum.

Taz_hibee
15-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I have absolutely no doubt that Stack will catch crosses better than Maka.

And on what do you base this as he may turn out to be shocking at catching crosses and a great shot stopper

Hibby 2005
15-08-2009, 07:58 PM
And on what do you base this as he may turn out to be shocking at catching crosses and a great shot stopper

You're confusing him with Maka:greengrin

Malthibby
15-08-2009, 07:59 PM
What 56 & 58 said.
Wrong end of the ground to see much apart from Hanlon going mano e mano & losing, & Maka chasing the ball.
GG

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 08:00 PM

I've no idea if he'll be better or not, but I'm willing to give him a try, Maka's proven he can't make the right decision often enough. Let's move on.

matty_f
15-08-2009, 08:05 PM

:agree: It needs to be sorted out one way or the other. I like Maka, but we see too many of these types of goals getting lost by Hibs. We need to eradicate them sharpish.

Taz_hibee
15-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I've no idea if he'll be better or not, but I'm willing to give him a try, Maka's proven he can't make the right decision often enough. Let's move on.

Disagree, watch MOTD and Sportscene and you will see loads of goals lost that could be put down to GK errors, IMO Maka was the least to blame today with Hogg then Hanlon in that order the most to blame.
Maka is a decent keeper and again IMO will be good for us this season

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Disagree, watch MOTD and Sportscene and you will see loads of goals lost that could be put down to GK errors, IMO Maka was the least to blame today with Hogg then Hanlon in that order the most to blame.
Maka is a decent keeper and again IMO will be good for us this season

If he starts 30 games this season he'll have 20 decent games and 10 where loads of folk try and pin one of his mistakes on someone else.

Why is this? Because he's a nice guy?

Taz_hibee
15-08-2009, 08:13 PM
If he starts 30 games this season he'll have 20 decent games and 10 where loads of folk try and pin one of his mistakes on someone else.

Do you have next weeks lottery numbers because you seem to know an awful lot about whats gonna happen in the future, Stack better than Maka, Maka having 10 bad games, who is going to score most goals and get sent off the most???????????

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Do you have next weeks lottery numbers because you seem to know an awful lot about whats gonna happen in the future, Stack better than Maka, Maka having 10 bad games, who is going to score most goals and get sent off the most???????????

I'd post the lottery numbers but there's no guarantee that you'd read them properly. Just like you done when you "read" me say Stack's better..

All the stuff in my post is based on prior performances. Maka has a couple of good games then makes an arse off it.

NaeTechnoHibby
15-08-2009, 08:15 PM

If we get 20 wins and 10 draws then we are sorted :thumbsup:

How do we know he's a nice guy, most of us have never met any of the team :confused:

Seems like a nice guy, from I heard, then so does Derek :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
15-08-2009, 08:17 PM
If we get 20 wins and 10 draws then we are sorted :thumbsup:

How do we know he's a nice guy, most of us have never met any of the team :confused:

Seems like a nice guy, from I heard, then so does Derek :bitchy: :greengrin

See the Maka hand-shaking thread further down the board. He's a true gent.

sesoim
15-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I can't believe folk are still wasting their time defending Maka. He is error prone, his positioning at times is a joke, and he lets in too many goals that are close to his body and saveable. I don't care if he is Mother Theresa and if he has "potential" (we ALL have potential) - he will cost us 10-15 points this season. And so what if he makes a few good saves now and again - that's the GK's bloody job!

We need to sign another GK immediately and either release Maka or ship him out on loan. He's not the only weak link in the team - there are another 5 or 6 we should get rid of - but GKs are the most important member of the team so Hughes has to sort this now.

CABBAGE & RIBS
15-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I thought the ball bobbled just as hogg passed it to Maka.

Dunkin' Donut
15-08-2009, 08:26 PM
maka and hanlon are to blame, the back pass wasnt the best but ive seen far worse. maka took an age to deal with it and even longer to get back in his goal then instead of putting it out for a throw or up the line hanlon gives them the ball back :grr:

sauzee_4
15-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry, that's a mistake from Makalamby. No the best pass from Hogg but makalamby could have controlled it, he then has plenty of time (no one even in the box!) to stick it in the stand or even bring it out and distribute it properly.

Put it this way the other 2 don't cover themselves in glory but Makalamby is agaaaaaain making silly mistakes

Cool_Hand_Luke
15-08-2009, 08:35 PM
:hilarious

I take it then that you'll be as forthright with Hughes if he decides in the next week or so that Stack should get the GK jersey?

The facts are that Benji is on more than his second chance with Hibs ... third / fourth / fifth whatever. Just because he scored today doesn't make him a shoe-in for a starting position in the next match. Came on as 'super-sub' and made a great contibution. But that's it; so let's not compare the two.

Maka too has had several opportunities to make good; he is already way beyond his second chance. Stack would have punted that appalling passback today into row Z and then given Hogg a bollocking for it.

I guess we need to see what Hughes decides. I await with interest. :cool2:

Have to ask how you know this? Not trying to be smart or anything, but i've never seen Stack play before, so would be interested if you've followed his career or seen him play before?

On something completely unrelated...just watching Family Guy and The Proclaimers just came on :thumbsup::greengrin

blackhibee
15-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I can't believe folk are still wasting their time defending Maka. He is error prone, his positioning at times is a joke, and he lets in too many goals that are close to his body and saveable. I don't care if he is Mother Theresa and if he has "potential" (we ALL have potential) - he will cost us 10-15 points this season. And so what if he makes a few good saves now and again - that's the GK's bloody job!

We need to sign another GK immediately and either release Maka or ship him out on loan. He's not the only weak link in the team - there are another 5 or 6 we should get rid of - but GKs are the most important member of the team so Hughes has to sort this now.

:top marks

OtterHibee
15-08-2009, 08:50 PM
All three for me. Dreadful pass-back by Hogg, Maka failed to clear, Hanlon failed to clear. Other than that, i thought our defence played well plus Maka had rarely anything to do.

Expecting Rain
15-08-2009, 09:22 PM
:lips seal

Hibs Spain
15-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Maka is a decent keeper and again IMO will be good for us this seasonSpot on! I've watched the same program and some of the goalie errors that cost goals added to the ones that didn't cost goals .... Christ .. Maka wouldn't be getting a look-in ....He'd be the number one in the universe :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
15-08-2009, 10:33 PM

:agree: in a new season I am prepared to try to forget the past but it's kind of come back to haunt us already, got away with it here but won't always be like that - too many daft errors.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Both players made unpardonable errors and neither should play for our club again.

Septimus
16-08-2009, 06:50 AM
If Hibs choose to follow the advice of many above they had better spend a considerable time practising the defence of corners and throw ins. The last thing I want to see is a Hibs defence who take the uncompromising route of blootering the ball into the stand whenever the faintest doubt enters their heads.

Hogg's back pass appeared to me to wrong foot Ma-Kalamby. Not very good but the modern goalkeeper needs to be something of a ball player as well as having the traditional attributes. Ma-Kalamby looks clumsy and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Its not the end of the world. Leighton had the same problems although he had the excuse that the rules had changed during his career.

It is fascinating to hear the calls for Stack to be given the jersey. On what evidence is this based? Like everyone else I hope he is a class act but I reserve judgement until I have seen him perform.

Hamish
16-08-2009, 07:09 AM
If Hibs choose to follow the advice of many above they had better spend a considerable time practising the defence of corners and throw ins. The last thing I want to see is a Hibs defence who take the uncompromising route of blootering the ball into the stand whenever the faintest doubt enters their heads.

Hogg's back pass appeared to me to wrong foot Ma-Kalamby. Not very good but the modern goalkeeper needs to be something of a ball player as well as having the traditional attributes. Ma-Kalamby looks clumsy and uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Its not the end of the world. Leighton had the same problems although he had the excuse that the rules had changed during his career.

It is fascinating to hear the calls for Stack to be given the jersey. On what evidence is this based? Like everyone else I hope he is a class act but I reserve judgement until I have seen him perform.

Far too sensible a post.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 08:13 AM
The blame again falls squarely at the feet of Gordon Marshall.:devil:

Hibby 2005
16-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Stack will be given the GK jersey at some point this season probably after Maka makes his next mistake. Next week is too soon to change goalkeepers and would only send Maka into a decline, Yogi knows this but then Yogi also knows Maka is a liability at times. Stack may or may not be the answer but there is no doubt in my mind that he will get his opportunity.

Golden Bear
16-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Stack will be given the GK jersey at some point this season probably after Maka makes his next mistake. Next week is too soon to change goalkeepers and would only send Maka into a decline, Yogi knows this but then Yogi also knows Maka is a liability at times. Stack may or may not be the answer but there is no doubt in my mind that he will get his opportunity.

We've got to judge for ourselves, but by all accounts Stack is a competent 'keeper and the sooner he is given his chance then the better for all concerned.

If Maka is still learning his trade then he should serve his apprenticeship somewhere else.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Well my calls are on Maka making too many mistakes. I don't know if Stack's better or not but how can we compare if he doesn't get a chance?

The line in bold is quite telling. You, like me, know that if we persist with Maka he'll chuck another one in at some point but you want to wait until it costs us - again?

Littlest Hobo
16-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Is it just a coincidence that yet again Maka seems to be the talk of Hibs.net?
Or is there something more to this?

I'd love Maka to be the goalkeeper every Hibs fan wishes him to be but the fact is that this guy keeps making mistakes. Yes you could argue all day about Hoggs bad back pass or Hanlon making a balls up of his pass but with Maka it seems to be an on going thing.

I hope i'm wrong but I'd reckon Maka will be our number two keeper before the next Edinburgh derby comes around? :rolleyes:

Weir7
16-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Both - for me they are lucky boys to be playing for us.

Once again simple balls into the box and Hogg can't defend them their centre forward stepped of Hoggy twice and should have scored. And an aimless punt up the park at then end of teh game - Hoggy no where and the boy got in behind.

Tomsk
16-08-2009, 10:43 AM
If Hogg had put the ball into the stand to begin with , then it wouldn't have came to anything.....

What? We have to give away possession because our keeper can't deal with a firmly struck pass to his feet?

You might have a point. Makalamity's touch was so poor he nearly turned a nothing situation into an own goal.

And he wasn't finished there! This is the moment he decides to put Hanlon in the brown, smelly stuff by passing the ball to the full back who has his back to play and a man up his ring.

And our keeper still isn't finished. He then flaps at a harmless cross dropping the ball in the box and then goes run around while St Mirren pick their spot.

Why people still keep defendimg the guy beats the crap out of me.

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Hogg and Hanlon made errors.

Maka stopped the ball going in the net with his wrong foot and passed it to a Hibs player.

The passback should have been outside the goal posts and Hanlon should have cleared.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Hogg and Hanlon made errors.

Maka stopped the ball going in the net with his wrong foot and passed it to a Hibs player.

The passback should have been outside the goal posts and Hanlon should have cleared.

I agree, although maka's decision to give the ball to Hanlon was probably the wrong one. Sometimes its ok to punt the ball as far as you can. The 3 of them were all to blame for another silly goal. 3 bad decisions, by 3 players culminating in a goal we should never have lost.

Danderhall Hibs
16-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I've changed my mind. It was the other 10 players in the teams fault for the goal yesterday. It's now clear to me that Maka cannot be blamed for anything and when he goes to the EPL (which is inevitable) it'll be clearer to us how much potential he actually has.

hibsbollah
16-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Mostly Hogg (who otherwise had a good game IMO). As soon as he knocked it back I thought Maka would have problems with it. Hanlon should also have been more aware and maka should have stayed on his line. So i'd say 70%-15%-15%:greengrin

Toaods
16-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Modern day football coaching guidelines #517

When passing the ball back to your goalkeeper, remember he can no longer pick the ball up therefore gently side foot it into the path of his known better foot to enhance the distnace the clearance attains.

also - never hit the ball on target for the goals.

sam armstrong
16-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Of course Hanlon takes a share of the blame. It was just inexperince but he should have played the ball out for a throw and then we could have defended from there. Hogg played poorly and is too easily beaten one for one. An encoraging start though and Wotherspoon an added bonus as he looks a good footballer.

sam armstrong
16-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Is it just a coincidence that yet again Maka seems to be the talk of Hibs.net?
Or is there something more to this?

I'd love Maka to be the goalkeeper every Hibs fan wishes him to be but the fact is that this guy keeps making mistakes. Yes you could argue all day about Hoggs bad back pass or Hanlon making a balls up of his pass but with Maka it seems to be an on going thing.

I hope i'm wrong but I'd reckon Maka will be our number two keeper before the next Edinburgh derby comes around? :rolleyes:

Did he not have a huge hand in winning the last derby for us.:greengrin

erin go bragh
16-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I thought Hogg, Maka and Hanlon were to blame but Hogg was terrible for the entire game. I'd imagine that being captain now that he's pretty much undroppable.
dont agree! yogi was a no nonsense centre half and if hogg plays dodgy like yesterday im suer yogi will drop him[i thought hogg was lucky not to give away a pen[climbing all over the guy in the box] seen them giving more often than not! dont get me wrong i like hogg but thought he was poor yesterday

Bostonhibby
16-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I wanted Maka to do well, and he still might but I don't think we can afford the luxury of these avoidable errors which normally cost us, having actually seen the part Hogg / Hanlon played in the latest one, I think its fair to say they may well have contributed to the problem but from a purely goalkeeping point of view you see it every week where the defenders routinely expect teh goalkeeper to do the simple thing and just punt the thing up field / out the ground, he is the last line and mostly there is no panic when they are in this situation, however i don't feel many of us can truly feel comfortable that the simple thing is going to happen in situations like this, and if we don't I doubt the players do as well.

I agree that no one could say what Stack or anyone else might do but I would err on the side of saying they know enough just to punt it. Its what most keepers succeed in doing, we maybe aren't that used to seeing it. I don't think we should start the season with a possible points handicap asociated with errors like this one, and am not sure we can afford the luxury of seeing how it goes.......

JimBHibees
17-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Did he not have a huge hand in winning the last derby for us.:greengrin

Not sure if he did, a couple of ok saves but Hearts were very poor and Murray and Thicot played well together especially Murray. I remember him giving away the first goal in the Scottish cup derby and flapping in another one at Tynecastle when a soft header went straight at him. Get Stack in now and give him a chance as he appears to be a decent keeper.

wee 162
17-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I wanted Maka to do well, and he still might but I don't think we can afford the luxury of these avoidable errors which normally cost us, having actually seen the part Hogg / Hanlon played in the latest one, I think its fair to say they may well have contributed to the problem but from a purely goalkeeping point of view you see it every week where the defenders routinely expect teh goalkeeper to do the simple thing and just punt the thing up field / out the ground, he is the last line and mostly there is no panic when they are in this situation, however i don't feel many of us can truly feel comfortable that the simple thing is going to happen in situations like this, and if we don't I doubt the players do as well.

I agree that no one could say what Stack or anyone else might do but I would err on the side of saying they know enough just to punt it. Its what most keepers succeed in doing, we maybe aren't that used to seeing it. I don't think we should start the season with a possible points handicap asociated with errors like this one, and am not sure we can afford the luxury of seeing how it goes.......

Dinnae suppose it could possibly be thought of that Yogi has told them not to punt the ball out of the park and to keep posession by any chance. Just a thought.

The goal on Saturday is one which has to be put down to collective responsibility for the whole defence. Bad pass back which was about at knee height. Bad touch by Ma-Kalambay. Not a ridicilous pass out. Shocking awareness from Hanlon who turned into Dorman. Not a bad hand on the cross from Ma-Kalambay. Terrible decision to try and chase it out. But that was prompted imo by no-one being remotely close to the St Mirren players in the box. And they still never got closed down before the shot. Rack it up to experience and work on it for future games.

Toaods
17-08-2009, 06:32 PM
[i thought hogg was lucky not to give away a pen[climbing all over the guy in the box] seen them giving more often than not!

:agree:...and IIRC he was panned by the pundits on Setanta for making an almost identical daft ariel challenge at Paisley in our televised game last season. Striker backing in for sure but he seems to warp his arms around them.