PDA

View Full Version : I Presume The Minority Who Booed Benji On Didn't Cheer His Goal?

smurf
15-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I can well understand the frustrations with Benji but IMHO booing him on was a disgrace.

Thankfully the majority didn't do it. Choosing to cheer him on or staying mute and dignifying themselves.

PC Stamp
15-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I can well understand the frustrations with Benji but IMHO booing him on was a disgrace.

Thankfully the majority didn't do it. Choosing to cheer him on or staying mute and dignifying themselves.

:top marks

hibbybrian
15-08-2009, 04:47 PM

I'm with you on this Smurf - no need to boo any player coming onto the field or during the game - in the old days the appropriate place for a moan was in the pub after the game and now-a-days it's on the messageboards :greengrin

booing a player is only going to result in a poorer performance and that's not going to help the team :grr: :duck:

Hibby_Ed
15-08-2009, 04:49 PM
When Benji had the altercation with the Hibs staff, wasn't he going through a hard time?

Put yourself in his position of training and being told what to do and simply reacting.

Fair enough it certainly was not his place but with his circumstances you gotta see it from his perspective.

He looked dangerous enough today and the goal was a goodun.

Nice to see the reaction he got from Hughes when he came off, showing him ER is where he belongs.

random sub
15-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Stayed quiet when he came on and cheered his goal. The right combination for me. He's back being a Hibs player now so time to move on and support him.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2009, 04:56 PM
It was obvious that a few people were going to boo Benji, a few more were going to cheer him, and most of us were going to keep stumpf and let football take its course.

A young chap sitting next to me was vitriolic in his condemnation, only to be in tears of joy and screaming "Benji Benji...' when the goal went in. How fickle we fans are.

hibee_girl
15-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Stayed quiet when he came on and cheered his goal. The right combination for me. He's back being a Hibs player now so time to move on and support him.

:agree:

chasitup
15-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I for one applauded Benji on to the park, as I don't see what good booing a Hibs player is going to do. (especially one who doesn't really want to be here!) He needs all the encouragement he can get IMO & I really enjoyed his celebration too. 'Mon the Benji!

Viva_Palmeiras
15-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I blame reality tv myself :cool2:

Hibs90
15-08-2009, 05:12 PM

BEEJ
15-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Delighted for him today. Just the boost he needs. :thumbsup:

But I still reckon there's a better than evens chance that he'll be away by the close of this transfer window.

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 05:18 PM
i cheered him on and cheered the goal... the right combination for me :wink:

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 05:21 PM

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would just like to say to the guy in the row in front of me in West Lower who bad mouthed,swore and did all sorts of hand and finger gestures when Benji came on that I will be reporting him to the club for shouting "Ya black effin B" when he scored :bitchy:

The guy was challenged by several people and asked to get a grip but he still ranted on - erse :agree:

No need for that talk and I class that as being a racist especially when youngsters are sitting around.

Anyway, back to topic. I hope Benji has a good season and proves us all wrong.

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 05:23 PM
shop him, absolute disgrace.

Golden Bear
15-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Sums it up perfectly.

erin-go-bragh87
15-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I will support any player in a Hibs top, I even nearly started to like Mikey Stewart FFS!!!!

spoing
15-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Great for him to get a goal in his first game back.

If he'd had a barren spell then we'd probably have started getting on his back for not trying hard enough.

Hopefully the response he got for the goal will show him that if he plays his heart out then he can be a hero at Easter Road and if/when he does get the move to another club he can leave as a success rather than a waster.

woodyhfc4892
15-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Its just hard to believe people booing Benji, when Latapy played for Falkirk against us Hibs fans cheer him but when Benji who is ther doing a job for us and not against us people boo, where's the sense in that :confused:

Aldo
15-08-2009, 06:13 PM

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would just like to say to the guy in the row in front of me in West Lower who bad mouthed,swore and did all sorts of hand and finger gestures when Benji came on that I will be reporting him to the club for shouting "Ya black effin B" when he scored :bitchy:

The guy was challenged by several people and asked to get a grip but he still ranted on - erse :agree:

No need for that talk and I class that as being a racist especially when youngsters are sitting around.

Sorry but dont want that sort of **** in the stands. Regardless of what Benji has done, he showed balls to come back, tail between his legs and ate some humble pie....goes about the right way to get us back onside by scoring the winner.

For the sake of our club and young fans sitting near this guy he needs to be turned in to the club. That fan is an utter disgrace and should never be allowed to set foot in ER again.

ronaldo7
15-08-2009, 06:14 PM
You could have scripted it for his return to the Leith San Siro.

Game all square going nowhere and he pops up with the winner:thumbsup:

I decided to stay schtum when he came on but was celebrating with the remainder of the family when he scored.

Buckle down and work hard Benji and a wee hat trick against the yams would do fine:wink:

Lifes too short

bawheid
15-08-2009, 06:16 PM
There's a fair few morons go to Easter Road.

Booing a Hibs player as he's warming up? Sheer class.

Hibster
15-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I screamed in delight when he came on, then clapped politely when he scored

Wait hold on, thats not right...

--------
15-08-2009, 06:23 PM
IMO he looked fit and sharp today - got on with his work quietly, scored a good goal, and was always looking for the ball.

If he moves on this month, at least we now have a chance of a fee for him; if he stays, we look to have a productive player on our books - as good as a new signing.

I applauded him quietly when he came on, and was delighted when he scored - though my glasses had taken a dunt and I had to check who had scored with my son. (Gettin auld.)

Game 1-1, the manager puts on a striker of known quality, and some of his own fans boo him? There's a word for fans like that.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2009, 06:24 PM
I did not applaud nor cheer nor boo when he came on. Of course I jumped up and shouted when we scored. It may very well be the case that Yogi has been told that he had all the money he is getting, therefore he gets his wages and doesn't play or he does and he does. Doesn't change my long held opinion of this player though, and it is little short of a disgrace that he is back in the shirt. But this is easy fixed though, as once Kurtis Byrne gets over his injury, then he gets the place that Benji now has.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Polite applause from me when he was warming up in front of the stand, heartier applause when he came on with a "now lets @@@@@@@ see it!" :greengrin remark when he came on and rapturous applause when he knocked the winner in. :thumbsup:

I'm not going to get upset at those that game him a bit of a boo when he came on, I perceived that as an understandable show of displeasure at the way he treated the club.

Had they booed every touch that that woul've been out of order.

Anyway, all over with now and I hope Benji ca sort himself out and deliver on the pitch as the boy, as we all know, is a talent.

matty_f
15-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I was happy to see him back, and he had a Hibs top on, so it was applause from me when he came on, and delight when he scored.:thumbsup:

James70
15-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I didn't think he deserved to come on given the fact he missed most of the pre season work and didn't even play in any of our friendly matches until the low profile match this week. I was concerned about his match fitness as well as his physical fitness and thought it may cause ill feeling with the other subs who went through all the pre season stuff. However I did not boo him.

Thankfully he repaid Yogi's faith in him and showed us all why he was brought on. Hopefully he can put all his previous problems behind him and be a big player for us this season.

zlatan
15-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I punched the air in delight when he started warming up and then threw my season ticket in Yogis face when he scored, the mad thing is I don't even have a ST this year :confused:

Si_17
15-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Those who booed should not come back.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I punched the air in delight when he started warming up and then threw my season ticket in Yogis face when he scored, the mad thing is I don't even have a ST this year :confused:

So are you Paul Daniels then :dunno:

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 07:32 PM
When Benji had the altercation with the Hibs staff, wasn't he going through a hard time?

Put yourself in his position of training and being told what to do and simply reacting.

Fair enough it certainly was not his place but with his circumstances you gotta see it from his perspective.

He looked dangerous enough today and the goal was a goodun.

Nice to see the reaction he got from Hughes when he came off, showing him ER is where he belongs.

He didn't take any side in the JC revolt and was stuck in the middle.. With Mixu , his father died and he was missing is family , Mixu didn't give a monkeys about him so he left...

Hibee_Rab
15-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I screamed in delight when he came on, then clapped politely when he scored

Wait hold on, thats not right...

I cheered him loads as he was warming up, clapped a little bit when he came on and then booed when he scored :wink:

erin go bragh
15-08-2009, 08:03 PM
me and the laddie were in the west right behind the benches
yogi wiz shaking all the players hands ,when benji came off he gave yogi the fingers[v sign] they both burst out laughing then maka went to shake yogis hand and yogi craked him on the head[ it was fin hilarious] maka was like a wee boy who just got a clip on the head fi his ma:top marksthink yogi has got a great team spirit all ready and with zemmama fit we will be flying:wink:mon the hi bees[nearly forgot we clapped benji on and went mental when he scored]why fin boo your own:grr:idiots

fife hfc
15-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I clapped Benji when he was warming up, cheered when he came on and loved him when he put the ball in the net. Fantastic Benji more of the same please:thumbsup:

hibbiedon
15-08-2009, 08:16 PM
i cheered him on and cheered the goal... the right combination for me :wink:

Football is a team game, my team is Hibs, i will never boo or jeer them individually or collectively, i will support them:thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
15-08-2009, 08:17 PM
me and the laddie were in the west right behind the benches
yogi wiz shaking all the players hands ,when benji came off he gave yogi the fingers[v sign] they both burst out laughing then maka went to shake yogis hand and yogi craked him on the head[ it was fin hilarious] maka was like a wee boy who just got a clip on the head fi his ma:top marksthink yogi has got a great team spirit all ready and with zemmama fit we will be flying:wink:mon the hi bees[nearly forgot we clapped benji on and went mental when he scored]why fin boo your own:grr:idiots

That was brilliant... I sit around the same bit as you and I seen it as I was walking out.... We have something with Yogi we never had with Mixu or JC....

Mr Pharmacist
15-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Could it have spurred him on? His goal being a big F off to those who did boo. If so, the petition starts here to boo him every week

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I cheered him loads as he was warming up, clapped a little bit when he came on and then booed when he scored :wink:

He's a nice old cove, wish him all the best :agree:

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 09:12 PM
once Kurtis Byrne gets over his injury, then he gets the place that Benji now has.

not sure its as simple as that. pleased to have some sort of competition for position.

offshorehibby
15-08-2009, 09:26 PM
While i did not agree with him coming back to the club, i would NEVER boo a Hibs player.
I said to my mate he'd come off the bench and score the winner.

poolman
15-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Some people just leave you dumbfounded :bitchy:

woody47
15-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Benji is still a class act and knows where the goal is. Thought those who booed were out of order today.
Benji still has a lot to offer hibs and I for one will back him to the hilt as long as he produces the goods.

nanamag
15-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Anyway, back to topic. I hope Benji has a good season and proves us all wrong. i sit in the west lower and if it is the same guy you are talking about there were two of them both wairing the same jackets they were both muppets and i had words with them to, i have had the same seat there for the past three years and they have never sat there before and i;m hoping that they wont be there from now on, when benji scored they were the only ones that sat there and said nothing they were a couple of muppets and we dont need that kind off support at our club:grr::grr::grr: well done benji

Bostonhibby
15-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I am not, not, a fan of his previous attitude to us and am not happy with the general impression that he would rather be anywhere than playing for us, to think otherwise of his conduct in the last season or so is blinkered in my view, but if something has changed in his head where he realises that knuckling down and proving himself to us with a view to getting himself a move whilst helping us along the way, then fine won't booh him, plenty of other players have done it. I will see it as another step along the way as he puts the effort in and drops the superstar attitude. No one is bigger than the club and what it stands for to me.

Bostonhibby
15-08-2009, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Riordans Boots;2131133]:top marks

:agree: Sadly they get around,,, nae place for them at ER.

Riordans Boots
15-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I am not, not, a fan of his previous attitude to us and am not happy with the general impression that he would rather be anywhere than playing for us, to think otherwise of his conduct in the last season or so is blinkered in my view, but if something has changed in his head where he realises that knuckling down and proving himself to us with a view to getting himself a move whilst helping us along the way, then fine won't booh him, plenty of other players have done it. I will see it as another step along the way as he puts the effort in and drops the superstar attitude. No one is bigger than the club and what it stands for to me.

Correct Bh and I just hope Benji is knuckling down to the John Hughes way.
Benji has loads to prove to us fans and today he did just that. First game into the season and he scores a goal .. that will do for me :agree:

Hibs have done fine whilst he was on loan and there are plenty fighting for a place to wear the jersey without a doubt. Not knocking the guy but time will tell .....

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I never booed the guy on the pitch, but was a bit unsure when he came back, but scored a great goal.

We'll done Benji, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Hibernianinc
15-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Anyone in a Hibs shirt gets my support. That's what being a Hibbie is all about.

Benji probably needed it more than most.

Hibbies who boo Hibs players are spangles.

But I wont boo them. They're Hibbies.

Hibernianinc
15-08-2009, 11:34 PM
:thumbsup:

Meant to add this. Good on yah Benji.

Now about this ramadamadinglon pish......:greengrin

(only joking...I don't believe in our god either...:cool2:)

danger1875
16-08-2009, 01:00 AM

:top marks yeah said to the folk around me think nothing of him as a human being but when he pulls on the green & white I will not abuse him. in the street that's fair game but if he keeps scoring goals may let him off

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I was surprised he was on the bench, although with us being short in forwards, i probably should not have been. I was also surprised at myself, i found myself clapping him on. I did not expect that from me, and i also cheered when he scored. I need to have a long talk with myself.:greengrin

hibiedude
16-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Benji is a hibs player and scored the winning goal against St Mirren now if Hibs fans want to boo him or criticize him for that then come on this site and justify yourself because I can understand the mentality of there thinking I mean a hibs player trying to use the club to get a better deal elsewhere :yawn:

Littlest Hobo
16-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Effing digrace! I cheered him when he came round to warm up and some twat behind me booed him:grr: Let me tell you he wasn't booing when he rattled in the winner though!:grr:

As far as i'm concerned whatever has happened in the past with the boy,it's forgotten and what better way to help the fans forget by scoring goals!

Jack
16-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I clapped, albeit politely, when he was warming up and again when he came on. The goal, with the earlier prophesy and all, was welcomed more enthusiastically.

But what really said it and all that needs to be said is about the reaction of his team mates and the management team. To a man they were ecstatic. If they can celebrate like that with him and are so obviously happy to have him around I see no reason us fans should have any doubts in our mind regarding attitude or application to his game.

Although in a small way I still do. :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
16-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I cheered him on and booed the goal.

TornadoHibby
16-08-2009, 10:52 AM

The laddie looked like he wanted to be there yesterday and looked very lean and fit to me! :agree:

Not only did he score an excellent goal but he also had a couple of other potentially scoring efforts proving that he can score if he's in the mood and gets decent service! :wink:

I think Yogi will get the best from a player with great potential and for me the past is behind us and he can help us have a good season if he plays to the best of his ability! :wink:

hibsbollah
16-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I hope the booers felt really stupid, which would be appropriate, because thats exactly what they are:bye:

I havent been so pleased to see a Hibs player scoring since benjis goal vs Dundee Utd last season:greengrin

basehibby
16-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Those who booed should not come back.

Nah - don't agree with this. I applauded Benji onto the park and was delighted to see him score the winner. I was surprised at some of the fans booing him on, but Benji DID act disrespectfully towards the club in the way he handled himself close season and supporters are entitled to voice their displeasure which is what some of them did - hopefully having done so they will now let sleeping dogs lie (but any ******s guilty of racist abuse should sling their hooks and NEVER darken the gates of ER again).

For me, I reckon Benji is one of those footballers for whom his brains are all in his feet - which is brilliant when he's on the park and interested, but can result in bursts of childish petulance both on and off the park as we have witnessed. A lot will depend on Hughes' ability to get the best out of him and so far the signs are good that he can do exactly that :thumbsup:

jakedance
16-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Cheered him on and cheered the goal.

I think an element of our support have to get used to the idea that loyalty from footballers went out of fashion with terraces and perms.

Face facts comrades. Anyone who is good enough to move to a bigger club doesn't want to play for us. As long as the likes of Benji are with us we should enjoy their ability to improve our team.

Its great when you get a dignified gent like Sauzee playing for us but most young players will **** on us first chance they get to move to a bigger club for more money. C'est la vie.

It seems we have an endless supply of villians. Killen, Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Murray, Benji, Caldwell. I don't know why people can be bothered getting worked up over it. Its the way the modern game is.

givescotlandfreedom
16-08-2009, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Riordans Boots;2131133]:top marks

:agree: Sadly they get around,,, nae place for them at ER.

Would say the eedjit's blind too if he think Benji's black! :greengrin

MrRobot
16-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Never boo a Hibs player, and I for one have wanted Benji to come back since he first went away on loan.

No need to boo a player, pretty minging.

Toaods
16-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I will support any player in a Hibs top, I even nearly started to like Mikey Stewart FFS!!!!

:faf:

--------------------
to all the booers - it's easy to make a loud noise from the anonymity of your seat, however he showed a lot of people that he is prepared to stand up and prove on the field what he believes he is capable of doing for the team.

Nando™
16-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I clapped, albeit politely, when he was warming up and again when he came on. The goal, with the earlier prophesy and all, was welcomed more enthusiastically.

But what really said it and all that needs to be said is about the reaction of his team mates and the management team. To a man they were ecstatic. If they can celebrate like that with him and are so obviously happy to have him around I see no reason us fans should have any doubts in our mind regarding attitude or application to his game.

Although in a small way I still do. :rolleyes:
Didn't I read somewhere that you couldn't make the game? :cool2:

sahib
16-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that you couldn't make the game? :cool2:

I thought so too. :confused:

Hibby Kate
16-08-2009, 12:59 PM

The laddie looked like he wanted to be there yesterday and looked very lean and fit to me! :agree:

Not only did he score an excellent goal but he also had a couple of other potentially scoring efforts proving that he can score if he's in the mood and gets decent service! :wink:

I think Yogi will get the best from a player with great potential and for me the past is behind us and he can help us have a good season if he plays to the best of his ability! :wink:

Wotherspiniesta
16-08-2009, 01:03 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2129688&postcount=16

So what names did you call him? :blah: