PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Stokes deal likely?

josef k
15-08-2009, 12:01 PM
In today's Northern Echo there is a preview of the season for Sunderland. It mentions that Bruce is looking to slim down his squad and reports that "Anthony Stokes to Hibernian and Daryl Murphy to Ipswich the deals most likely to happen". Fingers crossed. (Not sure how to do hyperlinks here, I am sure someone else can?)

Richard Scott
15-08-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/4548017.Bruce_thrilled_by_the_new_challenge_ahead/

NOLA
15-08-2009, 01:28 PM
fingers crossed this happens, think stokes would do real damage in the spl again

VegasHibby
15-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I keep hoping too. After Benji scoring today would be some choice of strikers for us. Can't see Nish keeping his place anymore. Not good enough for Hibs.......

whereswallace?
15-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Im trying to find one word to describe Nish today, the one that i come up with is pathetic.

CapitalHibs
15-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I keep hoping too. After Benji scoring today would be some choice of strikers for us. Can't see Nish keeping his place anymore. Not good enough for Hibs.......

Agree to a certain extent but do you think that we could get away without having at least one target-man type striker? That sort of player seems to be a requisite in the SPL.

shamo9
15-08-2009, 04:55 PM
A creative midfielder and defender should be first priority.

We've got Riordan, Nish, Benji, J.J and Bryne upfront, that's perfectly acceptable. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Stokes, merely stating that it shouldn't be first on our wish list.

erin-go-bragh87
15-08-2009, 05:41 PM
A creative midfielder and defender should be first priority.

We've got Riordan, Nish, Benji, J.J and Bryne upfront, that's perfectly acceptable. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Stokes, merely stating that it shouldn't be first on our wish list.

Do you not think Zemmama is the creative midfielder we needed?

jgl07
15-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I think that Wothersppon is worth a shout as may be the case with Galbraith.

shamo9
15-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Zemmama's great but unfortunately there's only one of him. Do you really think we can rely on him for 38 games a season? He's already missed one and with Ramadan coming up he won't be at his best for a while.

Without Zemmama in there all we have is workhorses and it showed today. We were crying out for someone to show some urgency, to run at the opposition and be brave. We've got enough strikers of quality to rotate, but we can't afford to rotate Zemmama until we find another player willing to do this.

RoYO!
15-08-2009, 05:51 PM
"And that is why he will be looking to move numerous players on before the end of the month, with Anthony Stokes to Hibernian and Daryl Murphy to Ipswich the deals most likely to happen.
“It’s inevitable there will be players going out, because it wouldn’t be fair to them to keep them here,” he said. “There will be more going out than coming in.”

thought this was dead in the water, very interesting to see what comes of it

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Those are the reporters words and not Steve Bruce's. :wink:

erin go bragh
15-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Zemmama's great but unfortunately there's only one of him. Do you really think we can rely on him for 38 games a season? He's already missed one and with Ramadan coming up he won't be at his best for a while.

Without Zemmama in there all we have is workhorses and it showed today. We were crying out for someone to show some urgency, to run at the opposition and be brave. We've got enough strikers of quality to rotate, but we can't afford to rotate Zemmama until we find another player willing to do this.
was thinkins much the same but was very impressed with wotherspoon today and every chance he will get better and better with every game:top marksgo on son a star in the making

stubru59
15-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Until Benji came on today, it was difficult to see where a goal was going to come from.

We lacked that cutting edge that someone like Stokes might offer.

Nish is no more than an option man up-front. Too predictable most of the time and - for a big guy - easily knocked off the ball.

mcfly
16-08-2009, 06:42 PM
apparently there will be an announcement within the next 7-10 days re a new signing that will put a smile on fans faces. this was mentioned in the ff stand bar yesterday afternoon.

boozy, barr??

Leitherhibs
16-08-2009, 06:59 PM
apparently there will be an announcement within the next 7-10 days re a new signing that will put a smile on fans faces. this was mentioned in the ff stand bar yesterday afternoon.

boozy, barr??
Arfield.

magnificent_seven
16-08-2009, 06:59 PM
You seem to have an undelying alcohol problem:wink:

:greengrin

Spike Mandela
16-08-2009, 07:03 PM

boozy, barr??

Micheal McIntyre as pre match host?

H18sry
16-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Im trying to find one word to describe Nish today, the one that i come up with is pathetic.

Swap the P for the N and you have your word :agree: and it's not Nathetic :greengrin

scoopyboy
16-08-2009, 07:12 PM

boozy, barr??

Could it be that Barr might sign after the teams have played each other?

erin go bragh
16-08-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/4548017.Bruce_thrilled_by_the_new_challenge_ahead/
cant believe bruce is only 48[must have had a heavy paper run as a boy]
yes please for stokes :bye:bye bye nish

CRAZYHIBBY
17-08-2009, 06:40 AM
i thought nish was unlucky on saturday, on another day he might have had 2 or 3

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Exactly - and he still played badly. That's the great enigma that is CN. I've come to the conclusion that you cannot judge the man by normal footballing criteria.

IWasThere2016
17-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Exactly - and he still played badly. That's the great enigma that is CN. I've come to the conclusion that you cannot judge the man by normal footballing criteria.

Class, Sir Bob! :faf:

Sudds_1
17-08-2009, 08:04 AM

what..........minutes on his feet?:wink:

cockneymike
17-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Wasn't at the game on Saturday, so can't comment on that specifically; but in general is it not the case that fans of every team Nish has played for have thought he's rubbish?

But he's still scored quite a few goals because he gets into decent positions - unfortunately he probably misses four or five times more than he scores, but if he scores 15+ goals that would be enough for me; and I wouldn't bet against him doing that, in a Hibs team that will create chances.

darwenhibby
17-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Wasn't at the game on Saturday, so can't comment on that specifically; but in general is it not the case that fans of every team Nish has played for have thought he's rubbish?

But he's still scored quite a few goals because he gets into decent positions - unfortunately he probably misses four or five times more than he scores, but if he scores 15+ goals that would be enough for me; and I wouldn't bet against him doing that, in a Hibs team that will create chances.

:agree:

Nish may not be the most gifted of footballers but he does give 100% every game.

Sometimes you need a player in your team that will give everything for the jersey and I think Colin Nish gives that every time.

How many players will stoop so low to take the kick in the head he took in the first half.

Littlest Hobo
17-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I really like Nish. I think he's a player oppo defences wont relish playing against simply because of his awkwardness and the positions he gets into. He'll score double figures for us this season of that i have no doubt but it's how many goals will he contribute to by taking defenders away or battling with them in the air that peeps have to remember. He might not be good on the eye but he does a job.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Nish may not be the most gifted of footballers

:top marks

mentalhibee
17-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I think Nish does a decent job up front but we lack a bit pace and Stokes would be bring us that and alot more. I reckon this could be the signing to excite the fans as yogi put it!

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2009, 10:59 AM
My fault helping to hijack this thread towards CN when there is another running on him. Apos.

Back to Tony Stokes, I think if he comes to Hibs it'll be for a one or two year deal at the most, so he can shop window himself by knocking them in again.

Not a disaster as i'd like to see Byrne given a chance.

KeithTheHibby
17-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Nish may not be the most gifted of footballers but he does give 100% every game.

Sometimes you need a player in your team that will give everything for the jersey and I think Colin Nish gives that every time.

How many players will stoop so low to take the kick in the head he took in the first half.

What you have stated above should be the normal for any professional football player.

marinello59
17-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I really like Nish. I think he's a player oppo defences wont relish playing against simply because of his awkwardness and the positions he gets into. He'll score double figures for us this season of that i have no doubt but it's how many goals will he contribute to by taking defenders away or battling with them in the air that peeps have to remember. He might not be good on the eye but he does a job.

:top marks

GlesgaeHibby
17-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Why on earth should he have challenged for that ball with his head?! It was only a few feet of the ground.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Why on earth should he have challenged for that ball with his head?! It was only a few feet of the ground.

Probably falling over again.

Expecting Rain
17-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Stokes would be a signing of quality.

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Stokes would be a signing of quality.

The Stokes that played for falkirk would be a great signing, he's done nothing of any note since. We cant sign players who are on the up, so have to sign players who have lost their way a bit, and have something to prove. If we do get him, hopefully he still wants to prove that something.

Speedway
18-08-2009, 10:44 AM
The press are now suggesting that Sunderland are prepared to let him go on a free to get him off the wage bill and that both Crystal Palace and Hibs are in talks with him.

Rod required to offer a better deal than Palace? I'm not hopeful.

18/03/07
18-08-2009, 10:51 AM
The press are now suggesting that Sunderland are prepared to let him go on a free to get him off the wage bill and that both Crystal Palace and Hibs are in talks with him.

Rod required to offer a better deal than Palace? I'm not hopeful.
Simon Jordan is a tight bassa as well

Speedway
18-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Simon Jordan is a tight bassa as well

He's going to have to be watertight to come in under £1,800 a week basic.

CallumLaidlaw
18-08-2009, 10:58 AM

lets hope their transfer embargo isn't lifted then!! -

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/crystalpalace/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/09/08/13/manual_115227.html&TEAMHD=palace&DIV=nat1&TEAM=CRYSTAL--PALACE&RH=Crystal--Palace&PREV_SEASON=

Hibs7
18-08-2009, 11:16 AM

The Yogi effect might just swing it.

Long suffering
18-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Deek was worse IMO

JimBHibees
18-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The Yogi effect might just swing it.

Stokes has already been at Palace and think he didnt get too many games so he may want a more regular game. Money will talk as well of course

Expecting Rain
18-08-2009, 11:25 AM
The Stokes that played for falkirk would be a great signing, he's done nothing of any note since. We cant sign players who are on the up, so have to sign players who have lost their way a bit, and have something to prove. If we do get him, hopefully he still wants to prove that something.

BH, that wouldn`t put me off, a certain Mr Killen was languishing in the Oldham reserves doing hee-haw before joining Hibs, becoming SPL top scorer in the process before his injury.

jgl07
18-08-2009, 11:53 AM
BH, that wouldn`t put me off, a certain Mr Killen was languishing in the Oldham reserves doing hee-haw before joining Hibs, becoming SPL top scorer in the process before his injury.
Aye and then p*ssing off to Celtic without a by your leave.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Me neither, Killen, Murphy, Sheils to a lesser extent were all players not making much impact were they were. Although if its down to wages i dont think we will compete with any championship club, that could become interested should he become a free agent.

Golden Bear
18-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Now that we've had a few games under our belts and witnessed the Yogi effect, I feel that the REAL positions we should be looking to strengthen are the full backs - especially as they look set to play a prominent part in the style of play.

Bamba looks ok at centre half and with the emergence of Byrne and the return of Benji, we look to be reasonably covered up front.

So -------- do we really need to sign Stokes? He may be a good player but Byrne looks like a star in the making and his career progression may be hindered by the signing of another striker.

Gatecrasher
18-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Would stokes get a game ahead of freddy sears :hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Now that we've had a few games under our belts and witnessed the Yogi effect, I feel that the REAL positions we should be looking to strengthen are the full backs - especially as they look set to play a prominent part in the style of play.

Bamba looks ok at centre half and with the emergence of Byrne and the return of Benji, we look to be reasonably covered up front.

So -------- do we really need to sign Stokes? He may be a good player but Byrne looks like a star in the making and his career progression may be hindered by the signing of another striker.

A new right back is vital if we are to have our full backs flying up the wings, murray will do that on the other side. I'd like to see a wide right player, and a new centre forward. One thing the new players need is pace, something i think we clearly lack all over the pitch.

Golden Bear
18-08-2009, 12:44 PM
A new right back is vital if we are to have our full backs flying up the wings, murray will do that on the other side. I'd like to see a wide right player, and a new centre forward. One thing the new players need is pace, something i think we clearly lack all over the pitch.

I hope you're right regarding Ian Murray but I think he may struggle this year as I'm not sure he is, or ever will be 100% fit.

And yes --------- pace is always a great asset, regardless of the position.

Hibs7
18-08-2009, 12:46 PM
And yes --------- pace is always a great asset, regardless of the position.

ehm, cough, splutter Alan O'Brien !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Golden Bear
18-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Ah well then --------- jeez I'm speechless!