PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Masters

Sir David Gray
14-08-2009, 06:40 PM
For the first time ever in an ATP event, the top eight players in the world make up the quarter final draw.

Andy Murray has just beaten Nikolay Davydenko 6-2 6-4 and is the first player into the semi finals. :thumbsup:

Roger Federer will now play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and then from midnight, Andy Roddick plays Novak Djokovic and the last quarter final is Juan Martin Del Potro against Rafael Nadal.

Murray now plays the winner of Federer and Tsonga in tomorrow's semis.

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2009, 09:15 PM
For the first time ever in an ATP event, the top eight players in the world make up the quarter final draw.

Andy Murray has just beaten Nikolay Davydenko 6-2 6-4 and is the first player into the semi finals. :thumbsup:

Roger Federer will now play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and then from midnight, Andy Roddick plays Novak Djokovic and the last quarter final is Juan Martin Del Potro against Rafael Nadal.

Murray now plays the winner of Federer and Tsonga in tomorrow's semis.

FH, how long has the ATP been going and how many tourneys on the tour are there? Is this some kind of 'perfect storm' thing?

Know you like the tennis, is this sort of occurrence (top 8 in the QFs) a rarity in the majors too?

Sir David Gray
14-08-2009, 10:53 PM
FH, how long has the ATP been going and how many tourneys on the tour are there? Is this some kind of 'perfect storm' thing?

Know you like the tennis, is this sort of occurrence (top 8 in the QFs) a rarity in the majors too?

The ATP was formed in 1972 and the world rankings system was introduced in 1973, so it's basically the first time in 36 years that the top eight players in the world have all made the 1/4 finals of the same ATP tournament.

There are 66 tournaments on the ATP tour throughout the course of a year and that is including the four majors so it must not have happened in any of them either.

So yes, it is quite a significant event that has happened.

PS-Roger Federer is out after Jo-Wilfried Tsonga beat him in 3 sets. Tsonga took the opening set in a tie-break but Federer came back by taking the second set 6-1. It looked as though the third set was heading the same way as Federer lead 5-1. But Tsonga somehow managed to stage a comeback and actually had three match points on Federer's serve at 5-6. However Federer saved them all and took the match into another tie-break.

Tsonga dominated the tie-break and eventually won it 7-3 as Federer double faulted on match point.

Andy Murray will now play Tsonga in one of tomorrow's semi finals. Their head-to-head is balanced at 1-1 with their last meeting coming in the 2008 Australian Open, when Tsonga won in four sets.

J-C
15-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Murray won yesterday without even breaking sweat, looking more and more like a champion winning player all the time. Tsonga a big strong lad with a big serve but I think it'll play into Murray's hands, as he's one pof the best returners in the business.

David_D
15-08-2009, 01:23 PM
is it not true that if Murray wins this event he will move up to world number 2 and now that Both Nadal and Federer are out he has a great chance.

ancienthibby
15-08-2009, 02:19 PM
is it not true that if Murray wins this event he will move up to world number 2 and now that Both Nadal and Federer are out he has a great chance.

That's how I understand it too,:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 07:14 PM
The ATP was formed in 1972 and the world rankings system was introduced in 1973, so it's basically the first time in 36 years that the top eight players in the world have all made the 1/4 finals of the same ATP tournament.

There are 66 tournaments on the ATP tour throughout the course of a year and that is including the four majors so it must not have happened in any of them either.

So yes, it is quite a significant event that has happened.

PS-Roger Federer is out after Jo-Wilfried Tsonga beat him in 3 sets. Tsonga took the opening set in a tie-break but Federer came back by taking the second set 6-1. It looked as though the third set was heading the same way as Federer lead 5-1. But Tsonga somehow managed to stage a comeback and actually had three match points on Federer's serve at 5-6. However Federer saved them all and took the match into another tie-break.

Tsonga dominated the tie-break and eventually won it 7-3 as Federer double faulted on match point.

Andy Murray will now play Tsonga in one of tomorrow's semi finals. Their head-to-head is balanced at 1-1 with their last meeting coming in the 2008 Australian Open, when Tsonga won in four sets.

Cheers :aok:

hibee62
15-08-2009, 08:57 PM

He only needs to reach the final, in a tie break in the second set of the semi now having won the first...

Sir David Gray
15-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Cheers :aok:

I should probably add that although there are 66 ATP tournaments in the year, the elite players don't play anywhere near that amount. For example, by the time he's competed in the US Open in a few weeks' time, Andy Murray will have played in just 16 ATP tournaments this year.

The top players tend to just play the nine Masters tournaments, four Grand Slams and a few other select tournaments. They usually play around 20 tournaments a year in total.

I might be wrong but I believe that, due to Nadal going out in the quarter finals, Murray will become the world number two after he beat Tsonga tonight, regardless of whether or not he goes on to win the tournament.

Murray won 6-4 7-6 and will now play either Juan Martin Del Potro or Andy Roddick. They will play at midnight.

Mibbes Aye
15-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I should probably add that although there are 66 ATP tournaments in the year, the elite players don't play anywhere near that amount. For example, by the time he's competed in the US Open in a few weeks' time, Andy Murray will have played in just 16 ATP tournaments this year.

The top players tend to just play the nine Masters tournaments, four Grand Slams and a few other select tournaments. They usually play around 20 tournaments a year in total.

I might be wrong but I believe that, due to Nadal going out in the quarter finals, Murray will become the world number two after he beat Tsonga tonight, regardless of whether or not he goes on to win the tournament.

Murray won 6-4 7-6 and will now play either Juan Martin Del Potro or Andy Roddick. They will play at midnight.

Cheers FH, I sort of guessed that they wouldn't be on a year-round treadmill but wasn't sure just how often they did play. Also assuming that the number of ATP tournaments has grown considerably since the tour started?

bingo70
16-08-2009, 08:03 PM
anyone watching this?

commentators are doing my ****ing nut in :grr:, after Murray broke Del Potros serve they decided that he'd won the set and the "second set was going to be a quick one." Now that he did win it (not quickly though) they've decided that he's practically won the thing already, surprised they're even bothering to play the final set!

Reminds me of watching the England football team

Sir David Gray
16-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Murray wins! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I didn't see any of the match tonight but it's an excellent result and it sets him up nicely for the tournament in Cincinnati next week and then the US Open, which starts in a couple of weeks.

Well done, Andy! :aok:

Randerson_4
17-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Murray wins! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I didn't see any of the match tonight but it's an excellent result and it sets him up nicely for the tournament in Cincinnati next week and then the US Open, which starts in a couple of weeks.

Well done, Andy! :aok:

yeah well done Andy, though wasnt as comfortable as the third set suggested. Del Potro played very well, but tired so badly in the third that effectively the 2nd set was the decider. Still another win under his belt, and a nice sliver lining put on top of the fact he is now world number 2. Hope he keeps it up until the Us Open, as I feel he has a great chance to win it!