PDA

View Full Version : CB

cabbage07
14-08-2009, 05:11 PM
So much for hughes going to get a CB to replace jones leaves it a couple of weeks and now comes out with Bamba is going to take his place,sounds like he isnt going to get any money and wheres the 2 or 3 players for this week ?

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 05:17 PM
So much for hughes going to get a CB to replace jones leaves it a couple of weeks and now comes out with Bamba is going to take his place,sounds like he isnt going to get any money and wheres the 2 or 3 players for this week ?

These negotiations are tricky and always take longer than expected, a big like the delivery date for the trams. It'll happen, but probably right at the death of the window.

cabbage07
14-08-2009, 05:20 PM
These negotiations are tricky and always take longer than expected, a big like the delivery date for the trams. It'll happen, but probably right at the death of the window.

Hope so but cant see him buying a CB now when yogi is stating for Bamba to be in that position ,and tbh with the money we have got in the current climate we should be able to do that liitle bit more to get players in.

J-C
14-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Remember, Bamba was decent CB before he came here and fiitted well into midfield but he did look very good last week against Bolton.

CallumHibs07
14-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I think we really need a CB. Bamba is bound to make a blunder at some stage, and I thought he played excellent in CM, without his presence in midfield we are very weak in that area.

Experienced guy like Craigan would do nice.

--------
14-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Saw a fair bit of the second half of the Ivory Coast-Tunisia game on Wednesday evening. Bamba was playing CB and doing fine. In fact, if one or two of his team-mates hadn't been going for glory and had passed to him, he might very well have scored a couple of goals, as well as looking solid and composed in defence. They ended up playing a man short for the last ten minutes as well. The match ended 0-0.

There's no point in spending money just for the sake of it. As Bob says, these things always take longer than you'd like, but Hughes has again gone on record as looking to have 2 or 3 players in by the end of the window.

There's many a slip, and all that, but I see no reason to doubt the man's truthfulness.

--------
14-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I think we really need a CB. Bamba is bound to make a blunder at some stage, and I thought he played excellent in CM, without his presence in midfield we are very weak in that area.

Hmm. Not sure about Craigan. Doubt he would be available right now.

fife hfc
14-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I must be one of the few who would prefer to see bamba in defence rather than midfield. He will make mistakes but so did Jones and hogg last season. In midfield he is a good destroyer of play but not great at building attacks.

We do need another centre half and if we are after Barr as many have said he could provide cover for us, if he is bought for right back.

GlesgaeHibby
14-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Bamba played very well at CH last week against Bolton and very well for Ivory coast the other night. He is a big strong defender with a decent turn of pace and can play a bit too. He'll do well for us there this season.

As to a presence in midfield, I think McBride will do well there. He is excellent at breaking up play and protecting the defence.

SolentHibee
14-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Do you think it is sensible to spend money on another centre half if John Hughes is happy with Bamba?
Do Hibs have enough money to buy and employ someone who might end up behing big Sol and not get a game?

If Yogi's got it right and Bamba does have a good season then I would much rather any resources were spent on strengthening the other weak areas of the team. It' decisions like this that will shape how succesful Yogi is this season.

Bishop Hibee
14-08-2009, 06:00 PM
We've got umpteen candidates for the holding midfield role with McBride rightly at the head of the queue so no chance of Bamba playing there.

Bamba for CH at present.

A left or right winger would be a novelty though!

CallumHibs07
14-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Bamba played very well at CH last week against Bolton and very well for Ivory coast the other night. He is a big strong defender with a decent turn of pace and can play a bit too. He'll do well for us there this season.

As to a presence in midfield, I think McBride will do well there. He is excellent at breaking up play and protecting the defence.

Maybe so but we've not got any big strong guys like Bamba in there who can go in for the challenge and then break forward on a run. At the moment it's just pass, pass, pass and lets be honest, not much end product.

bingo70
14-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I must be one of the few who would prefer to see bamba in defence rather than midfield. He will make mistakes but so did Jones and hogg last season. In midfield he is a good destroyer of play but not great at building attacks.

We do need another centre half and if we are after Barr as many have said he could provide cover for us, if he is bought for right back.

I agree, he will need to cut out the mistakes but if we can get him to do that then we've got a cracking centre half, i think we'd definately struggle to find someone with such a presence and great potential on our budget.

As much as Bamba impressed in midfield i'm not convinced that's his best position, although his tackling and distribution was very good i was never convinced about his positioning, he seem to drop deeper and deeper all the time, i felt last season this was one of the reasons we often had to defend so deep all the time. Not blaming Bamba for that BTW, that's just what happens when you play a centre half in midfield.

GlesgaeHibby
14-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe so but we've not got any big strong guys like Bamba in there who can go in for the challenge and then break forward on a run. At the moment it's just pass, pass, pass and lets be honest, not much end product.

I think we have McBride who can break play up and pick out a pass. He won't go on runs, but Cregg and Rankin can both run or pass the ball further up the park to more creative players like Galbraith/Zemmama/Riordan.

I think the way Yogi has us set up will work very well.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Seems obvious to me that Yogi is going to set out a team with Bamba at centre-half and McBride and Gregg in front of them in midfield. This was the way it went against Blackburn and Bolton and was reasonably effective.

It seems like common sense to me. I prefer Bamba in midfield, but in the absence of Murray through suspension, you must make the best use of what you have. No sense in trying to set up a defence around some centre back who might or might not sign for you.

I'd like to see SB released into the midfield, but on the evidence of the Lancashire friendlies, he did well at centre-back and the midfielders also did well, so we should be reasonably comfortable there until we can bring in another central defender.

I think pace in the full-back role is far more important. I hope Hanlon gets the LB slot, and the RB one is the real problematic issue.

JimBHibees
14-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Hmm. Not sure about Craigan. Doubt he would be available right now.

Totally agree, he is as slow as me and I am in my mid-forties with a dodgy knee. :wink:

I'm_cabbaged
14-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I've heard a rumour that nobodies got the squad # 5 yet. :agree:

Nando™
14-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Aye right! :devil:

I'm_cabbaged
14-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Aye right! :devil:

Gen up. :agree:

Mibbes Aye might confirm it.

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Heard that too :agree:

I'm_cabbaged
14-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Scary, added the bottom line on edit and there you were. :thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Scary, added the bottom line on edit and there you were. :thumbsup:

:agree: Just had a Strawberry Fruit Shoot and it's coming on strong.

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Do you think it is sensible to spend money on another centre half if John Hughes is happy with Bamba?
Do Hibs have enough money to buy and employ someone who might end up behing big Sol and not get a game?

If Yogi's got it right and Bamba does have a good season then I would much rather any resources were spent on strengthening the other weak areas of the team. It' decisions like this that will shape how succesful Yogi is this season.

Good points there.

Bamba was a bit of a revelation for us last season in the midfield colossus role but it's hard to see how he fits into the middle of the park if we are playing McBride (which seems obvious) and going for the 'expansive' game that Yogi talks about.

That's fair enough. If we're not to lose him then we should make the most of him. There's a gap at CB. Instinctively I would like to see us bring someone in. Nevertheless Hughes seems to have some tactical acumen and if he knows any position it is that of cente-half.

Mixu brought Bamba in and worked with him to get him playing a Yaya Toure-stylee role for us. Hopefully Hughes can work with Bamba to get him performing a different role. Sol's certainly got the physique and athleticism to be a strong CB. His technique looks reasonably sound too. If he can do a job for us then as said above, it helps matters considerably in how we prioritise our constrained player budget. It would also highlight a great player attitude - a guy who has adapted to whatever role he has been asked to perform and done it with good grace and commitment.

Franck is God
14-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Bamba is a centre half that can do a job in midfield not the other way round

CH is his preferred position, it was where he was best at Dunfermline, it's where he plays at international level and he has excelled there in the last two games for us against Premiership oppositon.

I think he's going to be outstanding for us this season at centre back, will go on to have a successful world cup and will leave next summer for millions.

And as for the 'mistakes' he makes, i saw Rio Ferdinand who is possibly the best centre half in the world pass the ball to Kuyt to score the other night. Every player makes mistakes with no exceptions.

Speedway
14-08-2009, 08:23 PM
We've got umpteen candidates for the holding midfield role with McBride rightly at the head of the queue so no chance of Bamba playing there.

Bamba for CH at present.

A left or right winger would be a novelty though!

There a guy down at Swindon Town who could do that job for us.

Golden Bear
14-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Every player makes mistakes at some time in their career - it's cutting these blunders to a minimum that seperates the classy players from the rest. Sadly these types of players are few and far between and would not be intereseted in playing for Hibs.

Mibbes Aye
14-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Every player makes mistakes at some time in their career - it's cutting these blunders to a minimum that seperates the classy players from the rest. Sadly these types of players are few and far between and would not be intereseted in playing for Hibs.

:agree:

This is the key point for me - all defenders and GKs make mistakes.

The difference between the best and the rest is that the best make fewer errors, in part because they learn from previous mistakes and try and train to avoid repeating them.

We can't hold on to players until they reach the top of the learning curve. We can hang on to them for a wee while though, but that means putting up with errors we would rather not see, as part of the process.

Whittaker's a good example IMO. Sublime talent, but his defending ability was questioned constantly on here by some to the extent that there was a strong debate about whether he should play RM instead.