PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Just seen an interview with him on SSN, someone should tell him we are third, he still thinks we are 2nd in the group, and only have to win both games to make the play offs.:faf:

ballengeich
14-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Just seen an interview with him on SSN, someone should tell him we are third, he still thinks we are 2nd in the group, and only have to win both games to make the play offs.:faf:

While we're third, it's on goal difference behind Macedonia who we'll overtake if we beat them in the next game. If we win both games (well we have to hope) we'll definitely finish second in the section. Whether that will be enough to reach the playoffs is another question.

CallumHibs07
14-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm hearing all this about we must win both games. If we beat Macedonia but lose to Holland we can still get through, as long as other results go our way, right?

Billychaotic182
14-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm hearing all this about we must win both games. If we beat Macedonia but lose to Holland we can still get through, as long as other results go our way, right?

But really we would want ti win both games lol

CallumHibs07
14-08-2009, 05:49 PM
But really we would want ti win both games lol

:greengrin

ballengeich
14-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Probably correct in theory, but even if we finished second in our section in these circumstances, we'd almost certainly be eliminated as the worst runners-up of the 9 sections.

Jonnyboy
14-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Of one thing you can be certain - if we finish second and don't qualify we can add that to our list of glorious failures :wink:

BSEJVT
15-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if Hibs got another wedge with Whitty making his Scotland debut?

col02
15-08-2009, 07:40 AM
It was a pretty surreal moment to have two right backs playing central defence for Scotland on Wednesday! Fwiw I think Whittaker was one of the most under rated players to have left Hibs in a long time as his runs from defence were key to creating lots of room.

Kaff
15-08-2009, 09:36 AM
While we're third, it's on goal difference behind Macedonia who we'll overtake if we beat them in the next game. If we win both games (well we have to hope) we'll definitely finish second in the section. Whether that will be enough to reach the playoffs is another question.

Goal difference doesn't come into it, if you are level on points then head to head results (against Macedonia for instance) comes into it. I assume then that if we beat Macedonia 2-1 or 3-2 at home then they are above us on away goals. So if it comes to being level with someone we'll have to hope for a two goal cushion against Macedonia or Iceland to sneak up the table as we beat them twice.

Edit: Iceland can't do it obviously

2nd Edit: Ignore everything i've said - i think goal difference is used and then head to head. I'm going for a lie down

bigstu
15-08-2009, 09:53 AM
they were saying on the radio last night for us not to be the worst 2nd place team (and therefore eliminated) & to stay ahead of Macedonia we have to win the next 2 games by a massive amount of goals, apparently its near impossible for us to now qualify.

Hibbyradge
15-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Seriously though, do we really want that squad to represent us against the best teams in the world in South Africa?

If you thought Wednesday was humiliating...

Mag7
15-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Of one thing you can be certain - if we finish second and don't qualify we can add that to our list of glorious failures :wink:

Does there not have to be something glorious about a campaign to make it a glorious failure? The Euro 2008 campaign had some claim to glory about it thanks to the wins over an admittedly p*** poor French side, but I see nothing resembling glory about this latest failure.