PDA

View Full Version : Rob Jones

Aldo
13-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Was watching the highlights of the Carling Cup last night and couldnt but notice that big Jonesy was running back to cover....he was running but getting nowhere then gave away a penalty for jumping in...after the 4 nil defeat at the weekend he has not had a very great start to his Scunny career??

dublinhfc
13-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Was watching the highlights of the Carling Cup last night and couldnt but notice that big Jonesy was running back to cover....he was running but getting nowhere then gave away a penalty for jumping in...after the 4 nil defeat at the weekend he has not had a very great start to his Scunny career??

Rob who? :confused:

iwasthere1972
13-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Hate to slate players after they have left ER especially when they weren't gash.

Yes saw a wee bit of the highlights. Just turned on when Rob Jones was running back to his defence only to give away the penalty. Must say on the snippet I saw he has all the physicalities and running power of an over aged ostrich with two bad legs.

Scunthorpe will be thinking they've been done. They could be right. :agree:

Franck is God
13-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I at no point thought we would miss Jones, he is a reasonable last line defender but thats it. He was slow, his touch was poor and passing ability very limited. He was pretty good in the air and as I said he could put in a good block every so often.

I thought he added a lot to our team in his first season as he scored and set up quite a number of goals from free kicks and corners but as soon as the goals dried up he would have been out of the team for me.

I'm glad he's gone and anyone that has had to listen to me droning on about how crap he is for the last two seasons will testify that these thoughts haven't suddenly appeared since he left.

Ken
13-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I thought he was superb for us and was very consistent throughout his time at Easter Road, especially his final season.

I also hope he is successful down south, but if he isn't hey ho. :agree:

James Connolly
13-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I thought he was superb for us and was very consistent throughout his time at Easter Road, especially his final season.

Totally agree.

Unless we sign another decent CH soon, I fear we'll struggle without RJ.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Great player but as a backs-to-the-wall ch defends too deep. Not the style we need for passing game. Miss him the air defending and attacking setpieces though.

JimBHibees
13-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I at no point thought we would miss Jones, he is a reasonable last line defender but thats it. He was slow, his touch was poor and passing ability very limited. He was pretty good in the air and as I said he could put in a good block every so often.

I thought he added a lot to our team in his first season as he scored and set up quite a number of goals from free kicks and corners but as soon as the goals dried up he would have been out of the team for me.

I'm glad he's gone and anyone that has had to listen to me droning on about how crap he is for the last two seasons will testify that these thoughts haven't suddenly appeared since he left.

Your entitled to your opinion however rot it actually is. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Interesting to see Maka actually looking much more assured without Jones being in his way......

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Hate to slate players after they have left ER especially when they weren't gash.

Yes saw a wee bit of the highlights. Just turned on when Rob Jones was running back to his defence only to give away the penalty. Must say on the snippet I saw he has all the physicalities and running power of an over aged ostrich with two bad legs.

Scunthorpe will be thinking they've been done. They could be right. :agree:

Depends what they think that they have bought. A dependable last ditch shot stopper that only faces one way and puts the ball back where it came from [ as yogi says, anything else is a bonus] or a mobile, ball playing defender that is equally adept on the deck or in the air. If it's the first one, they have got what they paid for. If it is the second, they need a reality check as you don't get them for that kind of money.

Golden Bear
14-08-2009, 11:46 AM

:agree:

I hope the guy is a big succcess down south. He gave us 100% commitment in every game and see no reason why anyone should be wish him otherwise.

007 Mickey Weir
14-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree that he was a legend for us, and will go down in history as being part of the League Cup Winning Team.

But I felt that Maka and him just did not work. Maka will hopefully improve with new defense, or be punted.

I wish all the best to Jones and hope he has more success.

But we need to move on, and get him replaced!!

hibs1875aye
14-08-2009, 12:05 PM
He wasn't a Colin Murdoch for us. Equally, he was no Franck Sauzee....:greengrin

Maybe we'll have some new strategy that doesn't involve hoofing the bloody ball to Jones for every corner and dead-ball that Riordan doesn't take (which isn't many).

Whilst on this subject, can we, with all the money we have spent on our training ground teach someone ELSE to take a bloody corner??? This way, Riordan can do what he does best...score the bloody goals instead of sticking them all on a plate for other folk to make an arse off?

Rant over :agree:

Seany HFC 7-0
14-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Certainly are entitled to your opinion even though i consider it to be b*******:greengrin

He was superb last season for us. Number of times he blocked shots, crosses etc was class. Doesnt bear to think where we could have been last season with no Jonesy and Mixu in charge!:rolleyes:

Anyway thats all done and dusted now:greengrin

GGTTH

Jack
14-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I said ages ago that Hibs was as good as RJ was likely get and he was as good, probably better than what we’ve had the in the recent past.

I will predict that with Yogi at the helm life at ER will be a lot more pleasurable than of late. RJ had the chance to learn from someone, Yogi, who has thrown himself into all aspects of coaching. I would imagine RJ would want to move to the other side of the touchline when he retires from the game so it could have been good experience for him.

It looks as though he’s going to have a pretty tough season ahead of him with this lot and it will be grim.

In a footballing sense he will miss us more than we will miss him.

However in his defence I think he was well under the thumb to get a move down south.

And IMO while he made a great contribution to Hibs he is never a legend. That just demeans the legendary status granted to previous Hibs legends. He didn’t even play 100 competitive games! :tin hat:

bathhibby
14-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Saw the Macca / Hogg combo at the Reebok and thought they were excellent - so long Rob

scunnyhibs
14-08-2009, 03:46 PM
couple of my mates were saying he was at fault for two of the goals last Saturday as well.

They're having a right laugh at me seeing as I told them what a great addition to the side he'd be! To be fair though he wasn't the only poor performer in the cup game and apparently had a couple of good moments.

--------
14-08-2009, 05:04 PM

:agree: I agree - the reason he was a 'great backs-to-the-wall defender' was because we had our backs to the wall so much when he played.

Because he lacked pace, he tended to play deep. He'd start out on a decent line, but as the game went on he would fall back and fall back and by midway through the second half we'd be camped in our own penalty box, and the goalie would be hard-pressed to get a look at the ball. It'd be bouncing around off knees and shins like the ball in a pin-ball machine.

And when the team DID try to move up and clear the area, Jones was frequently last man out, playing the opposition onside.

IMO he needed someone telling him what to do - when to step up, when to come out when to leave it to someone else. I feel he tended to play his own game almost regardless of the players around him, and when he and Maka were in mix-ups, I also feel that he was as much to blame as the goalkeeper, at times more so. He should NOT have been made captain.

He WAS good in the air, but at his height it would have been a scandal if he hadn't been. But his passing, positional play, and pace were all very average at best. I would be surprised if we don't have someone better in by the end of the month.

hiberactive
14-08-2009, 07:13 PM
:agree: I agree - the reason he was a 'great backs-to-the-wall defender' was because we had our backs to the wall so much when he played.

Because he lacked pace, he tended to play deep. He'd start out on a decent line, but as the game went on he would fall back and fall back and by midway through the second half we'd be camped in our own penalty box, and the goalie would be hard-pressed to get a look at the ball. It'd be bouncing around off knees and shins like the ball in a pin-ball machine.

And when the team DID try to move up and clear the area, Jones was frequently last man out, playing the opposition onside.

IMO he needed someone telling him what to do - when to step up, when to come out when to leave it to someone else. I feel he tended to play his own game almost regardless of the players around him, and when he and Maka were in mix-ups, I also feel that he was as much to blame as the goalkeeper, at times more so. He should NOT have been made captain.

He WAS good in the air, but at his height it would have been a scandal if he hadn't been. But his passing, positional play, and pace were all very average at best. I would be surprised if we don't have someone better in by the end of the month.
Rob Jones was hibs best player last season.

Crab apple
14-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Jones was far from the perfect defender but give me him over Captain Calamity anyday.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
14-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Rob Jones was hibs best player last season.

aye - in a p i ss poor team !!! we deserve far better :agree:

Franck is God
14-08-2009, 07:49 PM

What a relief, was beginning to think I was the only one that thought this.

I like McCormack and Moyes as emergency back up to be honest leaving Murray, Hogg & Bamba fighting for the two positions. i would rather we looked to continue strengthening the middle of the pitch.