Johnstone - Selkirk
Reilly - Hibs
Turnbull - Falkirk
Ormond - Stenny

Edwards - Pars
O'Rourke - Hibs
Gordon - Hearts
Cropley - Hibs
Duncan - Was Arturo a 'Sticky Bun' as a laddie?

Baxter - Hibs
Best - Wolves
Johnstone - Motherwell

IWasThere2016
13-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Sir Bob - why is this just random players? Are you wanting us to add to the thread?

brog
13-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Smith - Hearts
Johnstone - Selkirk
Reilly - Hibs
Turnbull - Falkirk
Ormond - Stenny

Edwards - Pars
O'Rourke - Hibs
Gordon - Hearts
Cropley - Hibs

Baxter - Hibs
Best - Wolves
Johnstone - Motherwell

I remember reading that the bold Arthur was actually a Hibs fan. Apparently an uncle or something took him to games ( from Falkirk I believe ) & therefore he actually came home from the Jags.

NB Hibby
13-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Smith - Hearts
Johnstone - Selkirk
Reilly - Hibs
Turnbull - Falkirk
Ormond - Stenny

Edwards - Pars
O'Rourke - Hibs
Gordon - Hearts
Cropley - Hibs

Baxter - Hibs
Best - Wolves
Johnstone - Motherwell

Not disagreeing with you, but would be interested to know why Gordon Smith was a Hearts supporter as a boy.
Arguments against---he came from Montrose(?), and played for a Dundee junior team.:confused:

ancient hibee
13-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Not disagreeing with you, but would be interested to know why Gordon Smith was a Hearts supporter as a boy.
Arguments against---he came from Montrose(?), and played for a Dundee junior team.:confused:
Because he admired Tommy Walker.

Ray_
13-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I remember reading that the bold Arthur was actually a Hibs fan. Apparently an uncle or something took him to games ( from Falkirk I believe ) & therefore he actually came home from the Jags.

That's the way I had it as well.

snooky
13-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Big Tony Higgins, although coming from the west, was a Jambo.
I heard that Ormond and Ned were Hun fans when they were young and that Smith and Johnstone were Jambs.
Reilly however was and is the real thing. :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Gordon Smith's own explanation was that although he was raised in Dundee, he was born in Edinburgh, and into a Hearts-leaning family. I got this info from Stuart Brown's Hibernian Greats.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Brilliant! Go Arthur!

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Sir Bob - why is this just random players? Are you wanting us to add to the thread?

Yes. Just a few names to get the ball rolling.

Just thought it would be nice to have some Hibs stuff after all the tedious guff on a tiresome bunch of bad Dundee FC impersonators.

Blackley - Stirling Albion

Black -?

Stanton - Hibs

LHWM
13-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Gordon was due to sign for Hearts but Hibs nicked in and he score a Hat-Trick on debut vs Hearts.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19410428.html

"16 year old Gordon Smith scores hat-trick to win game for Hibs on debut. "
" I was very proud to score a hat trick against big Jimmy Dykes in borrowed boots."""

The match had been postponed from New Year and taking place on a Monday in Wartime affected the gate. Takings were £151/6/10.

steakbake
13-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Don't forget Scotty Broon's secret Rangers tattoo. :wink:

shagpile
13-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Gordon was due to sign for Hearts but Hibs nicked in and he score a Hat-Trick on debut vs Hearts.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19410428.html

"16 year old Gordon Smith scores hat-trick to win game for Hibs on debut. "
" I was very proud to score a hat trick against big Jimmy Dykes in borrowed boots."""

The match had been postponed from New Year and taking place on a Monday in Wartime affected the gate. Takings were £151/6/10.

Vlad could use that right now.

Hibs Spain
13-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes. Just a few names to get the ball rolling.

Just thought it would be nice to have some Hibs stuff after all the tedious guff on a tiresome bunch of bad Dundee FC impersonators.

Blackley - Stirling Albion

Black -?

Stanton - HibsI used to see Blackley every week for a couple of years and when I pushed him the best I could get out of him was that most of his direct family quite liked Rangers.. He was as vague as he could have been under interrogation :greengrin Also went into all that stuff about when you're playing for Hibs or whoever, boyhood favourites go out the window! Which is probably true :agree:

NB Hibby
13-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Because he admired Tommy Walker.

Thanks---that's a good enough reason. TW was greatly admired by many.

NB Hibby
13-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Gordon Smith's own explanation was that although he was raised in Dundee, he was born in Edinburgh, and into a Hearts-leaning family. I got this info from Stuart Brown's Hibernian Greats.

Thanks. Could also tie in with ancient hibee's comment.

Keith_M
14-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Geebsy, often quoted as a lifelong Hibby, actually supported the Currant Buns.

magnificent_seven
14-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Bobby Johnstone was actually a Hearts fan too.

JackRegan
14-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Smith - Hearts
Johnstone - Selkirk
Reilly - Hibs
Turnbull - Falkirk
Ormond - Stenny

Edwards - Pars
O'Rourke - Hibs
Gordon - Hearts
Cropley - Hibs

Baxter - Hibs
Best - Wolves
Johnstone - Motherwell

The famous Jinky?? While Jimmy went to Fir Park, it was as I mentioned in another thread as a "neutral" as it was near to his home, but Jinky was always a Celtic fan - he was a ball boy at the ground aged ten and before that he'd often go to watch the two junior teams in Blantyre or Thorniewood in Tannochside/View park. That would be like saying I'm a Clyde fan as my old man took me to Shawfield on occasion when I was a nipper in the 70's.

Anyway...some randoms

Derek Johnstone: Dundee united
Graham Sounness: Hearts
Davie Provan: Rangers
Martin O'Neill: Sunderland
Kenny Dalglish: Rangers
Duncan Ferguson: Dundee United
Jim Leighton: Rangers/Johnstone Burgh
John "Dixie" Deans: Rangers
Gordon McQueen: Kilbirnie Ladeside
Jim Holton (RIP): Celtic
Joe Jordan: Celtic
Ronnie Simpson: Hibs
Bobby Lennox: Kilmarnock
Shaun Moloney: Aberdeen
Malky McKay: Queens Park :thumbsup:
Simon Donnelly: Queens Park :thumbsup:
Ally Dawson: St Mirren
Craig Burley: Rangers
Jackie McNamara (Jnr): Hibs

Lastly, Paul Lambert never at anytime claimed to support any football club, although his Dad was a Rangers fan.

hibbybrian
14-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Gordon was due to sign for Hearts but Hibs nicked in

According to the way Gordon Smith told the story, he was offered a trial for Hearts but offered signing terms by Hibs :wink:

Billychaotic182
14-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Riordan - Hibs
Thomson - Hibs
Sproule - Rangers
Brown - Rangers (Tattoo?)
Hanlon - Hibs
Fletcher - Liverpool
Yogi - HIBS :greengrin

PapillonVert
14-08-2009, 05:09 PM
According to the way Gordon Smith told the story, he was offered a trial for Hearts but offered signing terms by Hibs :wink:

Also, at his memorial at ER, his son came on the pitch with two grandsons both wearing Hibs strips IIRC. Now that could have been a theatrical gesture, I admit, but I got the impression the family were Hibs supporters???

Also, with being owner of Right Wing pub at Willowbrae, could it be he saw the light?

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Also, at his memorial at ER, his son came on the pitch with two grandsons both wearing Hibs strips IIRC. Now that could have been a theatrical gesture, I admit, but I got the impression the family were Hibs supporters???

Also, with being owner of Right Wing pub at Willowbrae, could it be he saw the light?

Yes, all his family were Hibs fans as he became a Hibs supporter while playing for the club, a bit like Robbo, as a Hibby kid, did while playing for Hearts. But the thread is "as a boy."

shamo9
14-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Is Whittaker a Jambo? I think I remember it being so, such a tragedy:jamboak:

rainman
15-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Riordan - Hibs
Thomson - Hibs
Sproule - Rangers
Brown - Rangers (Tattoo?)
Hanlon - Hibs
Fletcher - Liverpool
Yogi - HIBS :greengrin