PDA

View Full Version : Just How Big is Saturday's Game?

Baker9
13-08-2009, 11:52 AM
John Hughes has many of us feeling as positive as we have been in years. He talks a marvellous game (in a great Leith accent) and his interviews on the official site have made good viewing. He comes across as intelligent and astute with a real passion for the science of management and he seems able to man-manage to an extent that we have not been used to. The player interviews seem to confirm this.

The feeling for him is there, these is a groundswell of belief and a potentail momentum to take us through the first five games on a real high and on to a great season. It all starts with a convincing win on Saturday. What a massive game!

Phil D. Rolls
13-08-2009, 11:58 AM
John Hughes has many of us feeling as positive as we have been in years. He talks a marvellous game (in a great Leith accent) and his interviews on the official site have made good viewing. He comes across as intelligent and astute with a real passion for the science of management and he seems able to man-manage to an extent that we have not been used to. The player interviews seem to confirm this.

The feeling for him is there, these is a groundswell of belief and a potentail momentum to take us through the first five games on a real high and on to a great season. It all starts with a convincing win on Saturday. What a massive game!

Yep, if there was a league for talking a good game in a Leith accent, we would certainly be strong contenders. On paper we are a winning team, regrettably the opposition tend to prefer to play on grass.

I don't think we should set ourselves up too much for Saturday, there is another 43 (?) games after that one. It's too early to judge.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Every game is a big game as we want to win them and get a good 1rst season in and make Europa lge place. 3rd place this season.

brog
13-08-2009, 12:19 PM

It's a huge game & i'm a tad apprehensive. We've lost ( arguably ) our 2 best players from last season, not replaced either & generally suffer from a lack of creativity in the team. Strangely I would be less apprehensive facing the OF because, just as at end of last season we're set up to fight well & contain. A team like St M will however sit in & look to hit us on the break as Killie did to us so many times. I worry we won't have the guile to break them down but an early goal ( for us! ) could change the whole game. I'm impressed with Yogi but he can only work with the squad he has.

Baker9
13-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Yep, if there was a league for talking a good game in a Leith accent, we would certainly be strong contenders. On paper we are a winning team, regrettably the opposition tend to prefer to play on grass.

I don't think we should set ourselves up too much for Saturday, there is another 43 (?) games after that one. It's too early to judge.

I am generally over-optimistic about anything Hibs. I have put money on us winning the league and the cup every year since 1971. I have no idea what the odds are this year but I will do the same again before Saturday.

I feel that the first 5 games are set up for us in a way that we could really take off and that a bad result on Saturday will send me into a deep depression, more so than all the other years. It's probably the higher level of expectation before the fall, that kind of stuff.

Phil D. Rolls
13-08-2009, 12:49 PM
[/B]

I am generally over-optimistic about anything Hibs. I have put money on us winning the league and the cup every year since 1971. I have no idea what the odds are this year but I will do the same again before Saturday.

I feel that the first 5 games are set up for us in a way that we could really take off and that a bad result on Saturday will send me into a deep depression, more so than all the other years. It's probably the higher level of expectation before the fall, that kind of stuff.

You never want to lose your first game, and points on the board in the first quarter seem to count for a lot when it comes to the final places.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Personally i think its the biggest game of the season so far.

Seany HFC 7-0
13-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Want to get off to an absolute flyer!! 3 or 4 banged in against St Mirren on Sat :greengrin
Have the chance, with the look of our fixtures, to really set a marker down for the rest this season:flag:

GGTTH

Sprouleflyer
13-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Will the knives be out for Hughes if we lose on Saturday?

A lot of fans are expecting big things from Hibs this year and this is without 2 of our most influential players that left during the close season - Chisholm and O'Brien........:wink:........Fletcher and Jones.

It is a big ask for Hughes to suddenly make Hibs play the way we want and get results that we want after the dirge of last season.

I'm quite happy to sit back and allow Hughes time to develop Hibs over the next few season, if we can see a year on year improvement, moving up the league placing's and cup runs, playing a decent brand of football, then I will be happy.

Roll on Saturday!!

PeeJay
13-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Hughes has certainly done some oustanding PR work since being in charge and the team is looking good (in bits). St. Mirren will be looking forward to the start of the season too however, playing against a 'big club' - so I think we should be very wary of 'expecting' 3 points. Hibs regularly perform well in the big games, but in the 'bread-and-butter' games we tend to drop too many points. I'd like to see that stopping this year and us picking up three points as often as possible from the 'smaller' teams. If we have to drop points at Easter Road, I'd like to see us dropping them to the OF only ...
Saturday can't roll on fast enough - envy you guys that can go in person...

Hibee87
13-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Will the knives be out for Hughes if we lose on Saturday?

A lot of fans are expecting big things from Hibs this year and this is without 2 of our most influential players that left during the close season - Chisholm and O'Brien........:wink:........Fletcher and Jones.

It is a big ask for Hughes to suddenly make Hibs play the way we want and get results that we want after the dirge of last season.

I'm quite happy to sit back and allow Hughes time to develop Hibs over the next few season, if we can see a year on year improvement, moving up the league placing's and cup runs, playing a decent brand of football, then I will be happy.

Roll on Saturday!!

Snap mate, we cant expect yogi to change us overnight, i think we need to give him this seaosn to find his feet with hibs get some lpayers in before he dealine or in january then next summer so next seaosn he has his own team playing and then we can judge i think top 6 will be his aim then next season we can really push.

personally i think hearts and dundee utdwill be to strong for us this seaosn for 3rd and 4th place

iwasthere1972
13-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Be great to start the campaign off with a home win but don't agree with previous poster that it is a huge game. Maybe so if it was a knockout competition but with 37 games to go after this one there is plenty of time.

I expect us to bag all 3 points but provided that we put on a good display (important that we score as well) it won't be all doom and gloom if we get less than a win. The main thing is that Hearts get beat and Nade continues his impressive goalscoring record of .000000000001 goals per game.

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Personally i think its the biggest game of the season so far.

What!! Even bigger than Scotland-Norway??

WestEndHibee
13-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I would love to see us get off to a flier as its the start of my first season with a season ticket but even if we don't then i won't be devastated. TM's first league game was a defeat and that season was the best i've seen.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2009, 03:28 PM
What!! Even bigger than Scotland-Norway??

Yes bob, i'm putting world domination onto the back burner,:wink: and getting behind hibs and our championship challenge.:thumbsup:

BEEJ
13-08-2009, 03:35 PM
personally i think hearts and dundee utdwill be to strong for us this seaosn for 3rd and 4th place
:Ummm:

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 07:47 AM
:Ummm:

Yes as much as I hate to say it I think hearts are stronger than hibs this season i hope im worng but i think we will struggle against them as will many teams with there bullying tactics. no goal scorer will help stop them running away with 3rd but if they sign a decent striker id be very worried

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes as much as I hate to say it I think hearts are stronger than hibs this season i hope im worng but i think we will struggle against them as will many teams with there bullying tactics. no goal scorer will help stop them running away with 3rd but if they sign a decent striker id be very worried

Depends on how their new defence gells. Can't see them scoring loads so they'll have to be boringly tight again to have a good season.

matty_f
14-08-2009, 07:53 AM

The Yams were pish last season whenever Aguiar was out the side, they've lost him permanently and replaced him with Ian Black (from actually relegated ICT).

They've then signed mainly no-marks. What makes you think they will be stronger?

It took a red card for Fletcher for them to record their only victory against us last season, when we were dire. I have seen nothing to suggest that they'll be stronger than us this season, tbh.

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 08:05 AM
The Yams were pish last season whenever Aguiar was out the side, they've lost him permanently and replaced him with Ian Black (from actually relegated ICT).

They've then signed mainly no-marks. What makes you think they will be stronger?

It took a red card for Fletcher for them to record their only victory against us last season, when we were dire. I have seen nothing to suggest that they'll be stronger than us this season, tbh.

true regarding aguiar and ive yet to see the players they have bought but from what a few yam mates have said that suso looks a no bad player and the defender i forget his name. black is also a decent player andi know many hibs fans wanted him at e.r not so long ago.

weve sold fletcher and jones and not replaced either. Bamaba i fear is wasted at CB instead of midfield and out midfield doesnt look any great shakes with the exception of zemmama. Obviously ill not judge cregg and mcbride till I have seen a lot more of them play but they way i see it hearts may well have lost some influential players but so have hibs. Jones was/is irriplaceable so it will be interesting to see what happens in that department DVZ is pish and mccann still coming back form injury, ive yet to see a named left back so dunno who is going to be playing there.

Liek i said I hate hearts and Hate seeing them do well but realistically speaking i jsut think they me be just that bit stronger than us over the course of the season. Ill happil y take another 4 league games unbeaten though :thumbsup:

jgl07
14-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Hmmm.

:jamboclow

:wtf:

Keith_M
14-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Unfortunately, we're still short of quality players in the team. If the first pick squad is all fit and on form, there's the makings of a decent side (with still one or two positions to be filled, e.g. Fletchers role).

I'm concerned that when any of the players we rely on is out, there aren't yet quality replacements for those positions. For example, if Zouma or Deeks (or even both!) is injured, what then?

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Hmmm.

:jamboclow

:wtf:

:yawn: does every person who posts on here not slating hearts make them a yam? no wonder i never signed up to .net for so long.

I know plenty of posters on here who know im a hibby but if it makes you feel better to think im a yam than fire away :bye:

Mon Dieu4
14-08-2009, 08:47 AM
:yawn: does every person who posts on here not slating hearts make them a yam? no wonder i never signed up to .net for so long.

I know plenty of posters on here who know im a hibby but if it makes you feel better to think im a yam than fire away :bye:

Nah you dont have 10,000 posts and didnt say the Yams are ******, you are obviously one of them even though I saw you at every home game last season & Bolton last week :faf:

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Nah you dont have 10,000 posts and didnt say the Yams are ******, you are obviously one of them even though I saw you at every home game last season & Bolton last week :faf:

That was my evil hibby **** supporting twin brother :faf: :devil:

Mon Dieu4
14-08-2009, 08:56 AM
That was my evil hibby **** supporting twin brother :faf: :devil:

Actually I have re-read your post and you are a Yam cant :faf:

Probably see you tomorrow mate :wink:

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Actually I have re-read your post and you are a Yam cant :faf:

Probably see you tomorrow mate :wink:

:faf::faf: aye catch you the morra marko :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Big

Baker9
14-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Big

Profound:hmmm:

Riordans Boots
14-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes as much as I hate to say it I think hearts are stronger than hibs this season i hope im worng :dizzy: but i think we will struggle against them as will many teams with there bullying tactics. no goal scorer will help stop them running away with 3rd but if they sign a decent striker id be very worried

I think you are wrong because ... Nade is P!SH remember :agree:

Hibee87
14-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I think you are wrong because ... Nade is P!SH remember :agree:

Indeed :agree: lets hope they dont sign one before the window shuts :jamboak: