James70
13-08-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=457258

Thought this was rather amusing! :faf:

Mag7
13-08-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=457258

Thought this was rather amusing! :faf:

It's absolutely spot on too. The only reason he's regarded as a quality player by the likes of Burley is because he's at Celtic. He was adequate at Hibs, but no more than that despite his own high opinion of himself.

hibs1875aye
13-08-2009, 11:36 AM
He was adequate at Hibs...

He was inadequate at Hibs, causing lots of howlers and cock-ups all by himself even though we saved his failing career not once but TWICE. The best thing he ever done for us was bloody leaving :agree:

Stevie Reid
13-08-2009, 11:39 AM
It's absolutely spot on too. The only reason he's regarded as a quality player by the likes of Burley is because he's at Celtic. He was adequate at Hibs, but no more than that despite his own high opinion of himself.

I fail to see why someone who is so desperate for first team football that they beg to leave a Premiership team (instead of just sitting on a healthy wage) to come to Hibs is worthy of ridicule.

And Caldwell was signed by Celtic because he is a quality player - he was good when he left us, and he's a better player now.

Danderhall Hibs
13-08-2009, 11:50 AM

He'd get a game for Newcastle now though!

Ritchie
13-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I fail to see why someone who is so desperate for first team football that they beg to leave a Premiership team (instead of just sitting on a healthy wage) to come to Hibs is worthy of ridicule.

And Caldwell was signed by Celtic because he is a quality player - he was good when he left us, and he's a better player now.

:agree:

i dont like caldwell, but he has improved and is very important for both scotland and celtic.

he's been outstanding in other internationals.... and to be honest i think he was unlucky last night.

i dont blame caldwell last night.... i blame burley... the mans a fool.... :cool2:

--------
13-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Caldwell got to us, then tried to jump ship to AZ Aalkmaar when Bobby W left. Only came back to us when Aalkmaar decided he wasn't good enough for them.

IMO he's a decent enough defender, and tbh we don't have anything better for the Scotland team right now.

But to be booked and then 90 seconds later blatantly grab hold of the guy with both hands, right in front of the referee who's just booked you - that's STUPID. Asking for it.

I think what a lot of people find irritating about Garry Caldwell is that he appears to think he's a much better player than he actually is.

New Corrie
13-08-2009, 12:09 PM

i dont like caldwell, but he has improved and is very important for both scotland and celtic.

he's been outstanding in other internationals.... and to be honest i think he was unlucky last night.
i dont blame caldwell last night.... i blame burley... the mans a fool.... :cool2:

How on earth was he unlucky last night?:confused:

Ritchie
13-08-2009, 12:16 PM
How on earth was he unlucky last night?:confused:

the shirt pulling was 2-way... the angle the ref saw it made it look like it was only caldwell pulling.

he was stupid for having his hands anywhere near carew... but carew was just as bad.

had it been the other way round and the ref saw carew pulling at caldwell, would carew have got a 2nd yellow??

garyrobertson85
13-08-2009, 12:38 PM
i like this bit:faf:

So what's he doing now? Well he's just knocked Scotland out of the World Cup ... that's what!

Tomsk
13-08-2009, 12:41 PM
the shirt pulling was 2-way... the angle the ref saw it made it look like it was only caldwell pulling.

he was stupid for having his hands anywhere near carew... but carew was just as bad.

had it been the other way round and the ref saw carew pulling at caldwell, would carew have got a 2nd yellow??

Carew got goal side of Caldwell. That's why Caldwell pulled him. The referee was right to book Caldwell.

Both bookings were prime examples of Caldwell's inadequacies. He dived in from behind on the half way line -- very poor judgement. He was too slow to read Carew's run across his face and ended up getting wrong side -- poor positioning and reactions.

Caldwell's is a shoo-in for Scotland because they have nobdy else. He probably is a better player now than when he left Hibs but he still not very good.

Ritchie
13-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Carew got goal side of Caldwell. That's why Caldwell pulled him. The referee was right to book Caldwell.

Both bookings were prime examples of Caldwell's inadequacies. He dived in from behind on the half way line -- very poor judgement. He was too slow to read Carew's run across his face and ended up getting wrong side -- poor positioning and reactions.

Caldwell's is a shoo-in for Scotland because they have nobdy else. He probably is a better player now than when he left Hibs but he still not very good.

so why was carew pulling caldwell??..... they should have both got their 2nd yellows.

Tomsk
13-08-2009, 12:55 PM
so why was carew pulling caldwell??..... they should have both got their 2nd yellows.

Truthfully, that's not how I saw it. Carew got a yard on Caldwell and Caldwell started pulling his arm not his shirt. Carew then tugged Caldwell's shirt a bit.

Anyway, you're missing the point. Carew didn't prevent Caldwell getting to the ball. Given that Caldwell illegally stopped Carew from making progress in on goal I thought it was a fair booking.

Caldwell adopts this tactic all the time. He is usually happy to concede a foul. Last night he paid the highest penalty. According to Alex McLeish, referees have been directed to punish this type of offence with a red card -- just don't expect to see it happening to too many Celtc players, that's all. :wink:

bawheid
13-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I find it quite ironic that Newcastle fans can have a pop at anybody about anything. They're a complete shambles from top to bottom.

Scotland aren't knocked out of the World Cup yet, and Caldwell would probably stroll into the NUFC side.

As for describing the SPL as a two team league...fair enough really...but how many sides can win the EPL?

Danderhall Hibs
13-08-2009, 01:16 PM
As for describing the SPL as a two team league...fair enough really...but how many sides can win the EPL?

Well Newcastle definitely can't.

Alicky Ranks
13-08-2009, 01:23 PM

SPL 'quality' ain't saying much. Caldwell is an average player who reckons he's a good one.

Ritchie
13-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Truthfully, that's not how I saw it. Carew got a yard on Caldwell and Caldwell started pulling his arm not his shirt. Carew then tugged Caldwell's shirt a bit.

Anyway, you're missing the point. Carew didn't prevent Caldwell getting to the ball. Given that Caldwell illegally stopped Carew from making progress in on goal I thought it was a fair booking.

Caldwell adopts this tactic all the time. He is usually happy to concede a foul. Last night he paid the highest penalty. According to Alex McLeish, referees have been directed to punish this type of offence with a red card -- just don't expect to see it happening to too many Celtc players, that's all. :wink:

to be honest, i dont know why im even defending him... he's a tube.

its hard being a Scottish Hibee.... your teams just builds you up to let you down!! :dummytit:

stubru59
13-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Can someone explain to me how an average to competent player at Easter Road is now a better player for having gone to that lot.

Answers on a postage stamp to .....

HibeeB
13-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Can someone explain to me how an average to competent player at Easter Road is now a better player for having gone to that lot.

Answers on a postage stamp to .....

That's easy.

He earns more :whistle:

lobster
13-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I find it quite ironic that Newcastle fans can have a pop at anybody about anything. They're a complete shambles from top to bottom.

Scotland aren't knocked out of the World Cup yet, and Caldwell would probably stroll into the NUFC side.

Geordie muppets

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2009, 02:18 PM
For Hibs then Celtic, Caldwell occasionally looks a bit of a thoroughbred against SPL dross, though was still prone to the odd embarrassing and costly gaffe. However he's way off international/CL class where his risks of bombscares like last night increase exponentially.

Can see why he never made it in the EPL and I agree with NUFC poster. He's both too slight and slow to handle the likes of Carew. He'd be playing that sort of half-decent but strong forward regularly there, had he made it, and with similar bad results.

It was easy for Scottish media/managers to see his limitations at Hibs, and to swallow the myth that he's blossomed into some sort of footballing genius at Celtic is ludicrous.

I should add that I have no personal beef against him due to the circumstances in which he left Hibs. Players come and go, and to be frank, I doubt if we'd have won the League Cup with him at centre half.

MyJo
13-08-2009, 02:27 PM

since the EPL was established in 1992/93 Man U have won it 11 times, Arsenal 3 times, Chelsea twice and Blackburn once......in a current league of 20 teams there are only 3 teams with a reaslistic chance of topping the table and for the past 6 years the same 4 teams have taken the champions league spots on offer, much like the SPL.

In the same period the SPL has been won by Rangers 10 times and Celtic 7 times so while its a "two horse race" the SPL has not been dominated by a single team to the same extent that Man U have in the EPL with 11 titles.......the OF are the only two teams with a realistic chance of winning the league but we also have little more than half the teams competing for the title compared to the EPL so 2 out of 12 isn't as bad as 3 out of 20 competitive teams.

The EPL is just as, if not more pathetic than the SPL....they just hide behind the money from Sky.

Kaiser1962
13-08-2009, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Ritchie;2128405]:agree:

he's been outstanding in other internationals.... and to be honest i think he was unlucky last night. /QUOTE]

I have to say the Toon guy is right when he says he isn't big enough for CH and too slow for FB. But his BIGGEST failing, and its a fatal one, is that he only plays for 80 minutes in a game. Now those missing 10 minutes can come at any time and he often gets away with it with Celtic and sometimes got away with it with us, sometimes not (Hearts at ER when 2-0 up anyone?) but he doesn't get away with it with Scotland and when he switches off he is a liability. The sending off, however harsh, was correct.

Future17
13-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Was just about to post when I read this. Absolutely spot on!

The funniest thing about that article is that NUFC fans STILL think that they are a big club! They haven't won a major trophy in over 80 years!!

I hope, as a club, they die a slow, lingering, painful, relegation type death!

Storar
13-08-2009, 06:19 PM

He was still playing regularly for Scotland when he was at Hibs though

libernian
13-08-2009, 08:12 PM
i never thought caldwell was good at hibs and couldnt believe celtic signed him, but he has improved a lot since then.

last night i thought he had john carew in his pocket quite frankly and carew was getting very frustrated and that is why he kept fouling him and leading with the elbow. i was very pleased by the way the game was panning out as it looked after 30 minutes that carew was their only option. yes it was stupid to pull him but it was carew first and carew being experienced like he is proabbly knew where the ref was.

(what happened after that was a joke however)

thats my honest opinion and genuinely dont think i'm being biased.

Weir7
13-08-2009, 08:27 PM
He was inadequate at Hibs, causing lots of howlers and cock-ups all by himself even though we saved his failing career not once but TWICE. The best thing he ever done for us was bloody leaving :agree:

He'd walk into our team, he never hid and took responsibility on the pitch.

erin go bragh
13-08-2009, 09:48 PM
caldwell has improved as a player since he left us he looks a lot fitter and was outstanding for them last season but as poor as his two bookings were they were bookings and he should have used the head after the first one which was a bit on the soft side[but how their no 6 never got booked for a nasty chalenge before he did get booked was a total joke as he would and should have been off before caldwells rush of blood to the head but as for burley he is even more out of his depth than mixu was with us alexander in the centre of mid ffs:grr:as much as i dislike souness i hope they give the job to him cause when yogi has a great season with us he will be getting linked with the job :grr:

lapsedhibee
14-08-2009, 02:02 PM

The funniest thing about that article is that NUFC fans STILL think that they are a big club! They haven't won a major trophy in over 80 years!!

Shirley the Fairs Cup - roughly equivalent to the UEFA cup - won in 1969 would count as a major trophy, non? :dunno:

Team that year including two ex-hibbies (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1070049/Newcastles-1969-Fairs-Cup-winners-united.html).

Mag7
14-08-2009, 02:52 PM
since the EPL was established in 1992/93 Man U have won it 11 times, Arsenal 3 times, Chelsea twice and Blackburn once......in a current league of 20 teams there are only 3 teams with a reaslistic chance of topping the table and for the past 6 years the same 4 teams have taken the champions league spots on offer, much like the SPL.

In the same period the SPL has been won by Rangers 10 times and Celtic 7 times so while its a "two horse race" the SPL has not been dominated by a single team to the same extent that Man U have in the EPL with 11 titles.......the OF are the only two teams with a realistic chance of winning the league but we also have little more than half the teams competing for the title compared to the EPL so 2 out of 12 isn't as bad as 3 out of 20 competitive teams.

The EPL is just as, if not more pathetic than the SPL....they just hide behind the money from Sky.

Four different teams winning the title in that period is still more interesting that just two. Also, the set-up in England, which means you only play each other twice makes for a much better league. A visit once a season from Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool becomes a far bigger occasion than yet another visit from the Old Firm. While there are plenty teams with no real chance of winning the title, there can be as many as a dozen teams still in with a chance of a Champions League or Europa League spot with just a few weeks of the season to go. It might not be perfect but compared to the stagnant old SPL it's a far superior set-up.

blackhibee
14-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Yet another player who as far as I'm concerned is totally overrated. I don't agree that he was anything special at all for Hibs, and the cock-ups he made were numerous, the obvious one being against Hearts at ER, virtually parallel to where I was sitting. Last season he seemed to come to the fore for Celtic, but let's face it, last season the quality in the SPL was piss-poor virtually throughout the season so quite how much he's improved is open to question. And I'm sick and tired of opening virtually any paper and it says Gary Caldwell said this and that, he's everywhere. And as far as I'm concerned, what I've seen of his brother, he's ***** an aw. But even average players seem to make good money these days. Apart from when they're at Hibs that is.

Edinburgh Green
14-08-2009, 03:39 PM

You read that article and thought the funniest thing in it was that Newcastle fans think they are still a big club? :confused:

You never read it did you?

Beefster
14-08-2009, 06:03 PM

While Hibs undoubtedly helped his career, to say that he was inadequate for us is Nade.

Dashing Bob S
14-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Was decent at Hibs, but not brilliant. Looks slightly better for Celtic as no referee is going to book an OF defender for the sort of tussle he got into with Carew.

Sadly overseas refs don't give a toss about the OF and any ref worth his salt would book a fool who tugs at a forwards jersey once he's brushed past you, in full view of said ref. Yes Carew was doing it as well, but surely Caldwell, for all his years in the centre half position, has picked up the difference between blind side and not blind side?

No, he's been conditioned by poor refereeing in Scotland, and in combination of his own bad decision-making skills as a player, to have a phony sense of entitlement.

The fact that nobody lamented his passing at ER was instructive. Simply not that good.

Future17
14-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Shirley the Fairs Cup - roughly equivalent to the UEFA cup - won in 1969 would count as a major trophy, non? :dunno:

Team that year including two ex-hibbies (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1070049/Newcastles-1969-Fairs-Cup-winners-united.html).

Although you could argue that it was in some ways a fore-runner of the UEFA Cup, I don't think the IC Fairs Cup was really comparable in terms of difficulty etc.......and don't call me Shirley. :wink:

You read that article and thought the funniest thing in it was that Newcastle fans think they are still a big club? :confused:

You never read it did you?

I never found any of the writer's attempts at humour to be funny. May be just me. :rolleyes:

I do find it funny that NUFC fans are criticising a International defender who's playing Champions League football this season, when they've just spent a season defending abysmally and will struggle to get out of the Championship this season.

Delusions of grandeur! :agree:

Tomsk
14-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Although you could argue that it was in some ways a fore-runner of the UEFA Cup, I don't think the IC Fairs Cup was really comparable in terms of difficulty etc.......and don't call me Shirley. :wink:

I never found any of the writer's attempts at humour to be funny. May be just me. :rolleyes:

I do find it funny that NUFC fans are criticising a International defender who's playing Champions League football this season, when they've just spent a season defending abysmally and will struggle to get out of the Championship this season.

Delusions of grandeur! :agree:

Would you not regard the FA Cup as a major trophy? Newcastle were winners in '51, '52 and '55.

--------
14-08-2009, 11:21 PM

The Fairs Cup was an odd tournament when it started, being invitational, usually over-running the season it started in, and being limited to one representative team from any one city.

The one city, one team rule persisted even after it had ceased to be invitational and had become a tournament where qualification was by League position.

By 1969 it had become officially the third of the three European Cups after the European Cup and the European Cup-Winners' Cup, but actually it was more difficult to win than the ECWC containing more teams of a higher quality that the other tournament.

Although it was a straight knock-out tournament, winning it required a consistent effort throughout the season. The first round took place in September, usually; the second in October-November, and the third (which was the round we usually went out in) in December-January. The third round was IIRC the round of 16, so there were three rounds still to go - quarters in February, semis in March-April, and the Final in May, over two legs. So to win it you had to play 12 games of increasing difficulty over the whole season.

Not an easy matter, when you think that the competitors would probably include the second, third and fourth teams from the England, West Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, the Soviet Union, and second and third from Czechoslovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia, Scotland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Scotland. there were very few easy draws after the first round, and you could get a snorter in that round if you were unlucky. We had Valencia in the first round one year (we lost) and FC Porto another (we won).

I'd say that Newcastle winning the Inter-Cities' in 1969 WAS a major achievement. More major than winning the ECWC would have been, IMO. I don't think there's a dispute about the importance of West Ham or Rangers winning the ECWC around that time. We'd certainly rate it if it had been Hibs who won it that year.

Future17
15-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Would you not regard the FA Cup as a major trophy? Newcastle were winners in '51, '52 and '55.

Apologies. Never realised that. :embarrass

I still don't think the ICF counts as a major trophy but even so we're still taking several trophyless decades for a club with massive potential.

Talking to Newcastle fans is like talking to ***bos. They think they're guaranteed to be best of the rest in their league and I find it funny what happened to them last season. I hope there is more to come.

Littlest Hobo
15-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I thought Caldwell had a fantastic season for Celtic last year. Yes he is slow and can make the odd mistake but last year he proved that he is a decent player by being very consistent. He needs to learn how to read the game better because he can't rely on pace to get him out of a hole and holding on to jersey's might be ok in the S.P.L playing for Celtic but at international level, it's a whole diferent ballgame!:wink:

Long suffering
15-08-2009, 09:41 AM

True, :agree: He is a very good player, and well worthy of playing for Scotland. Surely nobody can argue against the fact that he was an excellent player for Celtic last season.

jdships
15-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Prey tell how was Caldwell ".....unlucky last night " ?
This is a supposed top class professional who having been booked two minutes earlier for "shirt polling" does it again right in front of the Ref !!!
Caldwell = :dummytit:

I don't blame Caldwell totally for the debacle but by c....t he contributed to it in no uncertain fashion !!!! :rolleyes: