PDA

View Full Version : John Kissock

2belhaven
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Everton have released him and Hamilton on verge of signing him. Thought he was excellent against us when with Gretna. Plenty to offer.

Sadly we are just a selling club
:grr:

smurf
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Everton have released him and Hamilton on verge of signing him. Thought he was excellent against us when with Gretna. Plenty to offer.

I suspect Rod is too busy working on the next sale rather than getting caught up in the trivialities of trying to recruit replacements for a weakened squad....

After all it's an easier way for Rod and his partner Scott Lindsay to justify their 400K package.:cool2:

Frazerbob
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Was that the wee curly haired chap?

He did look good but not really the type of player we should be looking to recruit. Another extra from Time Bandits isn't top of my wish list (unless Zouma is sold!).

Captain Trips
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
If he is free and I would assume not a high earner he is a player who from what I saw looked ok. Is he better than what we have? Maybe but Hamilton might be offering security of long deal. Im sure JH knows of him and would be looking at him if thought would be of value.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
He's ok, but we have enough ok players. Quality over quantity please.

hibsbollah
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM
He looked a lot better than 'OK'. Could sort out our right midfield issue.

DarlingtonHibee
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Who exactly is NOT a selling club ?

The Hibs board have shared with John Hughes a budget, according to the manager the board are doing everything they can to assist with new signing's.

Player's will be keeping their options open for another two weeks.

It's called business....

Andy74
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Can you name me a club that has spent more on transfer fees outwith the OF in the last 2 or 3 yrs?

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Can you name me a club that has spent more on transfer fees outwith the OF in the last 2 or 3 yrs?

Dundee?

Baw187
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
We do and have bought loads of players in recent years.... most of which have been turd. This lad looked half decent in one game against us but that's no reason to moan cause we didn't sign him and he was available.

Yogi will know specifically who he wants and needs and will be keeping his budget for these players as oppose to some random character that looks ok.

Randerson_4
12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Dundee?

SLightly different story to be fair

Andy74
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Dundee?

Riordan was 400k or so
Nish 100k
Rankin 100k
O'Brien 150k
Maka 150k

Further back a little we have Jones at about 200k.

I don't think Dundee have spent that?

hibsdaft
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
could make a great understudy for Zouma imo

truehibernian
12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Jeezy peeps ! First we had the Famous Five then Turnbulls Tornadoes.......if we signed Kissock would our midfield not be referred to as the Midget Gems. Good wee player but looks far to like a shrunken Brian May for my liking......perms and curly hair should be banned.......have we not learned anything since laughing at Hans Eskillson over the road ! :greengrin

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Man City? :wink:

Captain Trips
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Riordan was 400k or so
Nish 100k
Rankin 100k
O'Brien 150k
Maka 150k

We spend 100k on Rankin? Jeez 99.9k too much there

HibeeB
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
If he is free and I would assume not a high earner...

He's certainly not very high.

When he played against us there was a half inch gap between the top of his socks and the bottom of his shorts.

Free or not he would not strenghten the squad.

IMO:whistle:

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 02:11 PM

He was no more than a decent player shining in a ****** team for me..
Remember Fabian Yantorno was Gretnas answer to Diego Marradonna.. :greengrin

smurf
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Can you name me a club that has taken in more on transfer fees outwith the OF in the past 2 or 3 years?

Oh and how our % of reinvestment of they fees compares to others?

passionatehibby
12-08-2009, 02:13 PM

That's all very well Andy,but how many clubs have taken in as much as we have in the last 3 yrs through transfers(including the OF) .The amount re-invested in the team on the park is a disgrace IMHO.

passionatehibby
12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Can you name me a club that has taken in more on transfer fees outwith the OF in the past 2 or 3 years?

Must have been reading the same page :greengrin

Andy74
12-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Well there's Hearts and we compare very favourably indeed.

Maybe the point should have been wider.

What clubs have built a top class training facility, have almost completed a top notch stadium, have paid off significant existing debts and paid more in transfer fees than anyone else outside the OF.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Riordan was 400k or so
Nish 100k
Rankin 100k
O'Brien 150k
Maka 150k

Were the AOB, Riordan and Maka fees disclosed?

Speedway
12-08-2009, 02:24 PM

What difference does it make?

Stevie Reid
12-08-2009, 02:24 PM

What clubs have built a top class training facility, have almost completed a top notch stadium, have paid off significant existing debts and paid more in transfer fees than anyone else outside the OF.

Exactly - and we're the last team outwith the OF to win a trophy in Scotland.

Was talking about Kissock the other week, thought he really looked the part at Gretna when I saw him which granted, wasn't much. Given availability and potential wages could maybe be a good understudy to Zem, but as others have said, Yogi knows best

HibeeB
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM

The life of Rod the Messiah.
(Or a very naughty boy, depending on your outlook)

"All right, apart from building a top class training facility, having almost completed a top notch stadium, having paid off significant existing debts and paid more in transfer fees than anyone else outside the OF; what has Petrie ever done for us?"

DarlingtonHibee
12-08-2009, 02:44 PM

There is a bigger picture here..

Stadium infrastructure

Training centre

Under 19's / invest in youth

Lack of Setanta funds

The fact that the board is still backing the manager.....

Keeping the club on a strong financial basis, so my son and his children can watch Hibs.

Of course, we could follow your model, which has already been tried by bigger clubs than Hibs and failed.

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM

"All right, apart from building a top class training facility, having almost completed a top notch stadium, having paid off significant existing debts and paid more in transfer fees than anyone else outside the OF; what has Petrie ever done for us?"

You seem to be forgetting who was at the helm when the debts were totalling up to their peak in the first place do you not..

The saint himself Rod Petrie !

HibeeB
12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
You seem to be forgetting who was at the helm when the debts were totalling up to their peak in the first place do you not..

In which case he's been a very naughty boy.

Speedway
12-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Wasn't it McPherson/Lewandowski?

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
In which case he's been a very naughty boy.

Its okay though, cos Rod Petrie the footballing genius always knew that 3 - 4 years later an exciting crop of youngsters would be sold on..

He got very lucky indeed, and a lot of people seem to forget this.. Lucky with the Mowbray appointment and lucky that there were some bloody good young players that could be nurtured by Mowbray or Petrie an Hibs were up **** creek ..

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM

They were chairman, he was chief executive ... Cheif executive sets the budget etc

Speedway
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Its okay though, cos Rod Petrie the footballing genius always knew that 3 - 4 years later an exciting crop of youngsters would be sold on..

He got very lucky indeed, and a lot of people seem to forget this.. Lucky with the Mowbray appointment and lucky that there were some bloody good young players that could be nurtured by Mowbray or Petrie an Hibs were up **** creek ..

You make your own luck in business.

They were chairman, he was chief executive ... Cheif executive sets the budget etc

So he wasn't actually 'at the helm' then?

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
You make your own luck in business.

So he wasn't actually 'at the helm' then?

He was at the helm financially as he has been for the past few years..

Speedway
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
He was at the helm financially as he has been for the past few years..

Okay, so let's say he was. He set the budgets as you say, for income we thought we had coming in. That income was lost and not replaced which made us hideously over budget in the revised forecasts.

He then set on cost cutting measures which hurt us short term but gave rise to the youth players whose sales have bought us the training centre and the new stand.

Now we're in a better debt position than any SPL club who all fell foul of the same original problem (one of which went into administration)

We however, did not. Rod has been 'at the helm' throughout this.

What's your point?

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM

That was my point !

Speedway
12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
That was my point !

Why is that relevant?

IWasThere2016
12-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Similarly, has any team - OF included - brought in more in fees?

BryanV
12-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Those people who say Rod got lucky are missing the point. Of course Rod can't take credit for the emergence of the golden generation what he can take credit for is the fees we received for these players, fees that did not seem possible six months before, e.g. 4.4m for Brown. As for Kissock, an encouraging cameo role for Gretna nearly three years ago and certain people are using it as a springboard to attack the parsimony of the Mr Petrie.

Leith Green
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Because Speedway, this is the post i was originally responding to..

My point was that this was luck rather than good judgement on Petries part, and that he set the budgets that tallied up the debt..

brog
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Similarly, has any team - OF included - brought in more in fees?

The OF have always somehow enjoyed a crazy status with regard to selling on players & often get inflated value. Kenny Miller's a case in point, bought from Hibs, in & out Rangers team, sold on at 50% profit. Alan Hutton & Craig Gordon were sold for huge fees which distort the stats somewhat but I doubt any team has sold more players than Hibs & its quite possible in last 3 years or so that our total transfer income is highest in Scotland.

BSEJVT
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Because Speedway, this is the post i was originally responding to..

My point was that this was luck rather than good judgement on Petries part, and that he set the budgets that tallied up the debt..

So to paraphrase

He is damned when he does and damned when he doesnt?

I would prefer to call it learning from your mistakes or adapting to a different reality.

Frankly I am glad he is being damned when he doesnt, because frankly there is no need to.

In the immediate past and current league set up, you could pick 11 guys from the Juniors who could compete in the SPL if they had a decent manager.

Petrie's most recent failing was in failing to select said Manager when he recruited Mixu.

I think he has picked the right guy this time.

We just cant ignore the expiry of the planning permission for the East Stand either.

It must be addressed, they have a responsibility for the future of the club beyond blasting lots of cash on a short term signing or two.

Short term crowds increase and decrease. It always has and always will be that way sometimes regardless of success or otherwise.

Any failure to protect the ability to develop the old East Stand in future will have drastic implications for Hibs future.

All this at a time when Bank funding has evaporated. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place and IMO until they resolve this, funding of the team will suffer.

Can I accept this for a few more years so that my son can take his kids and grandkids to see Hibs like my dad and grandad etc etc did with me.

You bet I can I am looking forward to it already.

I also think there will be a couple of surprises by the end of the window.

500miles
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Riordan was 400k or so
Nish 100k
Rankin 100k
O'Brien 150k
Maka 150k

You've missed out compensation for the likes of Zemmama, and a couple of others.

smurf
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Of course, we could follow your model, which has already been tried by bigger clubs than Hibs and failed.

And what model is that then? The truth is you're just making it up...:wink:

smurf
12-08-2009, 10:33 PM

No they were Non-execs. RP was running the show and has been since 1996.

Though not officially since 1998.

RyeSloan
12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
And what model is that then? The truth is you're just making it up...:wink:

Correct because you singularily fail to provide any sound alternative to what is already being done....

IWasThere2016
13-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Correct because you singularily fail to provide any sound alternative to what is already being done....

Let's start with not spending on the East and putting more than the pitiful % of fees back into the team.

The leagues - Scotland and England - are full of lovely partially empty stadia .. Yet we plan to do the same with the East! There is no 'model' eg sound business case for it as there is no business need.

There is no business need as we don't have the fans because we don't have the team!

And I love the inclusion of Jones in the fees spent .. The irony seems lost that we sold him for 3x the amount spent .. And we have no replacement .. Still, another year of profits will be posted.

smurf
13-08-2009, 08:27 PM

I'll leave it to the poster above.:wink::greengrin

erin go bragh
13-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Jeezy peeps ! First we had the Famous Five then Turnbulls Tornadoes.......if we signed Kissock would our midfield not be referred to as the Midget Gems. Good wee player but looks far to like a shrunken Brian May for my liking......perms and curly hair should be banned.......have we not learned anything since laughing at Hans Eskillson over the road ! :greengrin
:grr: did the hibs player of the year [86] not have a perm and tash arise saint albert ["cause suddenly dundee were two up at dens and the height fi tynecastle won **** all again":faf: