PDA

View Full Version : NFL pre season

Haymaker
12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Are any of the games on UK tv? I have had a look but cant see anything but most of my searches just come up with NFL total access. I was hoping to see the Pats Eagles game tmw as my mate is an Eagle fan (the shame)

NYHibby
12-08-2009, 01:29 AM
This won't help you one bit, but NFL preseason games are broadcast differently than regular season games. A lot of the games aren't broadcasted nationally here in America. For the Eagles in particular, I know some of their preseason games are broadcast on a local sports channel instead of Fox. If a local channel is carrying the game, I'd be surprised if you'll be able to see it in the UK. I could be wrong though ...

EDIT: Don't think this will help you, but here is the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_exhibition_season#Televis ion_and_radio) on NFL preseason broadcasting.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 10:39 AM
hey im pretty new to NFL and lovin it and havent even picked a team to follow yet, anyone have any suggestions of a good team/franchise to follow :greengrin

i was watching highlights of the pre season games on NFL.com :agree:

Sylar
17-08-2009, 11:04 AM
It's hard to advise someone on what team to follow without your own bias to be honest.

I'm a Patriots fan, as I spent a period of time living in the New England area. We're a good team, with a solid roster, who are always thereabouts at the playoffs. However, advising someone to support the Pats is a bit like advising someone to support Manchester United or the New York Yankees. I've followed the Pats since we were one of the worst franchise teams in the NFL.

A team is an individual thing (unless you're a glory hunter and take the advice to follow one of the top teams :wink:) and you'll need to watch a few games until you decide who floats your boat.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 11:52 AM
It's hard to advise someone on what team to follow without your own bias to be honest.

I'm a Patriots fan, as I spent a period of time living in the New England area. We're a good team, with a solid roster, who are always thereabouts at the playoffs. However, advising someone to support the Pats is a bit like advising someone to support Manchester United or the New York Yankees. I've followed the Pats since we were one of the worst franchise teams in the NFL.

A team is an individual thing (unless you're a glory hunter and take the advice to follow one of the top teams :wink:) and you'll need to watch a few games until you decide who floats your boat.

The thing is I don't really know enough about the teams at the moment, i was looking at greenbay, but I was looking at Dallas. :hmmm:

Sylar
17-08-2009, 12:01 PM
The thing is I don't really know enough about the teams at the moment, i was looking at greenbay, but I was looking at Dallas. :hmmm:

Green Bay is a good shout. They're a decent team, with a good community support and a decent history!

I personally despise the Cowboys, but each to their own.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Green Bay is a good shout. They're a decent team, with a good community support and a decent history!

I personally despise the Cowboys, but each to their own.

I'll look into it more on my lunch , why do you not like the cowboys :greengrin

Haymaker
17-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll look into it more on my lunch , why do you not like the cowboys :greengrin

Dallas suck. There is quite a rivalry between Dallas and Pats, I guess it stems from when Dallas were winning everything way back.

Personally Im a pats fans, they were my first NFL team i watched and my good friend is a pats fan too so they took my NFL heart as it were.

So long as you dont become a Giants fan, its all good.

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Dallas suck. There is quite a rivalry between Dallas and Pats, I guess it stems from when Dallas were winning everything way back.

Personally Im a pats fans, they were my first NFL team i watched and my good friend is a pats fan too so they took my NFL heart as it were.

So long as you dont become a Giants fan, its all good.

the first game i watched was (and thats was actually watched and understood what was going on :greengrin) was the superbowl just passed, im getting ESPN so i may as well make the most of the ESPN america as well :agree:

Haymaker
17-08-2009, 01:04 PM
the first game i watched was (and thats was actually watched and understood what was going on :greengrin) was the superbowl just passed, im getting ESPN so i may as well make the most of the ESPN america as well :agree:

And that was an amazing game, shame the cardinals couldnt do it but hey-ho. This season is hopefully going to be a cracker whatever team you end up supporting, especially as I am a pats fan with tickets to Wembley! :thumbsup:

Sylar
17-08-2009, 01:37 PM

The NFL games are on Sky Sports, but ESPN America cover the NCAA games, which are much better than the NFL (IMO anyway).

Roll on Pats vs Bucs :thumbsup:

Haymaker
17-08-2009, 02:03 PM
The NFL games are on Sky Sports, but ESPN America cover the NCAA games, which are much better than the NFL (IMO anyway).

Just got an email to book tickets into the tailgate party before the game, hopefully I will get some tickets for that!

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 02:10 PM

I knew sky sports covered NFL but I just assumed espn would cover it as well

I was looking at greenbay they seem to be one of the older teams and have quite a long history another club that caught my eye were the jets.

Haymaker
17-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I knew sky sports covered NFL but I just assumed espn would cover it as well

I was looking at greenbay they seem to be one of the older teams and have quite a long history another club that caught my eye were the jets.

Green Bay are everyones second team, owned by the fans and generally decent.

The Jets? Well at least they play in the right colours i suppose :wink:

Gatecrasher
17-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Green Bay are everyones second team, owned by the fans and generally decent.

The Jets? Well at least they play in the right colours i suppose :wink:

:greengrin

it's so hard picking from scratch, I just grew up following Hibs there was no other team worth considering. It's so easy to pick one off the succesful teams.

I might just watch more games and see who grow on me :agree:

Haymaker
17-08-2009, 03:17 PM
:greengrin

it's so hard picking from scratch, I just grew up following Hibs there was no other team worth considering. It's so easy to pick one off the succesful teams.

I might just watch more games and see who grow on me :agree:

Definately the best way, I suppose for me watching the pats win the bowl as my first game didnt help with the choosing! However I feel its alright because i support Hibs and West Ham in england so its alright to support one sports team that wins! :greengrin

NYHibby
18-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't pick the Patriots. If you support the Patriots, you're not better than the Americans who randomly support Celtic or ManU. Belichick is an a-hole and then there was spygate

The problem with Green Bay is that you're never going to go there. Its in the middle of no where.

Dallas is an ok choice. Its still kind of a glory hunter pick, but at least they have more history than New England.

Either New York team would be a good choice. Other suggestions would be Baltimore, Miami, or Philadelphia. Picking a team like Buffalo, Houston, or Oakland is less of a safe choice and could be interesting.

NYHibby
18-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Also, I'm not sure where this talk of a NE/Dallas rivalry is coming from. Dallas's big rivals are Philly and then maybe Washington.

J-C
18-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I support the Dolphins as they were the first team I saw play when the games first came on our screens on channel 4. I played American Football for 7 years in the British amateur league, firstly for the Lothian Raiders( old Edinburgh eagles ) and then the Strathclyde Sheriffs( now Glasgow Tigers ). I played running back for 5 years and then 2 years as middle line backer before coaching the running backs for 2 years.

Sylar
18-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Also, I'm not sure where this talk of a NE/Dallas rivalry is coming from. Dallas's big rivals are Philly and then maybe Washington.

Agreed - I don't dislike Dallas because of any established rivalry between the 2 organisations. I just don't really like them for various reasons (one of which is Tony Romo).

Our main rivals are the Colts and the Jets. Most organisations and their fans do seem to hate us because of the "spygate" affair, which was an unfortunate situation.

I agree with you though that supporting the Pats is an "easy option" and akin to the glory hunters who support Man Utd, the Yankees etc. I do sometimes cringe when people talk about supporting the Pats because they're successful. I always feel I have to defend my reasons for following them, being an ex-resident of RI. and a former graduate of UMich (Tom Brady's college), I feel I'm justified enough :wink:

You a Giants or a Jets man NYH?

J-C
18-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Agreed - I don't dislike Dallas because of any established rivalry between the 2 organisations. I just don't really like them for various reasons (one of which is Tony Romo).

Our main rivals are the Colts and the Jets. Most organisations and their fans do seem to hate us because of the "spygate" affair, which was an unfortunate situation.

I agree with you though that supporting the Pats is an "easy option" and akin to the glory hunters who support Man Utd, the Yankees etc. I do sometimes cringe when people talk about supporting the Pats because they're successful. I always feel I have to defend my reasons for following them, being an ex-resident of RI. and a former graduate of UMich (Tom Brady's college), I feel I'm justified enough :wink:

True, Dallas and Washington has always been a huge rivalry, the Pats had the Colts, Dolphins and the Jets from the old AFC east division.

Haymaker
19-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Either New York team .

So picking the Giants isnt a glory pick?

And dont both teams play in New Jersey?

As for the Dallas NE rivalry, most of my friends are Dallas fans and absolutely hate NE. However they dont seem to have much of a reason except that we have won a few bowls recently. I would imagine that the whole spy thing hasnt helped our reputation. I have admitted that my first NFL game was the pats winning the bowl and they took my heart. My first football game i ever saw was a hibs game... and Hibs took my heart. Call me a glory hunter for supporting the pats but once you choose you cant change.

NYHibby
21-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I always feel I have to defend my reasons for following them, being an ex-resident of RI. and a former graduate of UMich (Tom Brady's college), I feel I'm justified enough :wink:

I am in no way implying that you are a glory hunter. Living in NE for a period of time is reason enough.

I really don't have a NFL team. I used to like Denver back when I was a kid and John Elway still played. I kind of follow the Steelers since that is my Dad and his family's team. Personally I'm more of a college football fan. Penn State followed by my own alma mater

So picking the Giants isnt a glory pick?

And dont both teams play in New Jersey?

They both play in the same stadium just across the Hudson River in New Jersey. If you have flown into Newark, you may have seen the stadium.

The Giants are less of a glory pick than some teams. Yes they've won a Super Bowl recently, but its not like they make a run in the playoffs every year. The Eagles have made it to the NFC championship game more than the Giants recently and I wouldn't consider the Eagles a glory pick.

Gatecrasher
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
When does the new season start? I know they have played 3 pre season games, is it next week?

Sylar
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
It's always the week after the college football season starts, so next weekend I think?

Jumbo
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
It's always the week after the college football season starts, so next weekend I think?

Next Thursday the opener Titans @ Steelers, but no tv contract signed yet to show the Sunday games :confused: hopefully Sky will come sign at last minute like they did with the Spanish football

Gatecrasher
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Next Thursday the opener Titans @ Steelers, but no tv contract signed yet to show the Sunday games :confused: hopefully Sky will come sign at last minute like they did with the Spanish football

or ESPN :cool2:are sky still going to show some games, i noticed the NFL weekly show is still on

Jumbo
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
There are no games scheduled on Sky at all at moment, only games live on UK tv at moment are the Monday night games on Five, sure it'll get sorted out i ccouldnt do without my Sunday nights glued to the telly for 9 hours :greengrin

paullotion
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
only games live on UK tv at moment are the Monday night games on Five
Sunday night games are live on CH5, Monday Night has not been announced yet, hopefully tomorrow we will find out who won what.

Being a Bears fan i am looking forward to this season, we for the first time in many a year actually might have an offence and if the defence plays like it can, should be a good year for DaBears, as long as Cutler stays healthy.

In pre-season we have shown good offence against the Broncos and Giants, with the Browns game on tonight, i shall listen to the pre-game show on WBBM radio in Chicago... may watch the game on the internet if i can stay up. Also like listening to WSCR670-TheScore as they are the main sport station in Chicago.

Jumbo
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Sunday night games are live on CH5, Monday Night has not been announced yet, hopefully tomorrow we will find out who won what.

You are right enough, the late night game on Sunday is on Five, i was looking at schedule and says Monday but didnt notice 0100 start time :idiot:
Would imagine Sky or ESPN will have early Sunday games sorted out soon.

Sylar
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Being a Bears fan i am looking forward to this season, we for the first time in many a year actually might have an offence and if the defence plays like it can, should be a good year for DaBears, as long as Cutler stays healthy.

In pre-season we have shown good offence against the Broncos and Giants, with the Browns game on tonight, i shall listen to the pre-game show on WBBM radio in Chicago... may watch the game on the internet if i can stay up. Also like listening to WSCR670-TheScore as they are the main sport station in Chicago.

I caught a little of the Bears vs Giants pre-season game at Soldier Field, and I agree - your offense look pretty solid, as did the defensive unit, although you've hit the nail on the head with your closing sentence in paragraph 2 - Cutler staying healthy is the main issue.

The press build the Bears up every year, and the expectation always seems to get inside their heads, as come December, they're usually nowhere to be seen!

I didn't realise that Sky weren't covering the games this year, and can't say im happy that it's "in the air" so to speak. Their expert analysis and coverage was fantastic - granted, the coverage of the games is provided by CBS or FOX, but the studio analysis throughout the game is second to none!

Here's hoping a similar deal is procured to the SPL one, which sees ESPN and Sky gaining some access to the rights - as with the poster above, I don't know what I'll do if I can't get my 9 hour fix on a Sunday night :thumbsup:

Dibben
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
hey im pretty new to NFL and lovin it and havent even picked a team to follow yet, anyone have any suggestions of a good team/franchise to follow :greengrin

i was watching highlights of the pre season games on NFL.com :agree:

It's gotta be the Jets!

Green/White home kit, white away kit...

Normally get some decent results, but aren't normally a bookies favourite!

Plus, Flash Gordon was their Quarterback... :cool2:

:thumbsup:

BH.

Jumbo
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
It's gotta be the Jets!

Green/White home kit, white away kit...

Normally get some decent results, but aren't normally a bookies favourite!

Plus, Flash Gordon was their Quarterback... :cool2:

:thumbsup:

BH.

Or the Eagles,

Green/White home kit, white away etc

They almost always make it to the play offs, but blow it at the final hurdle :grr:

paullotion
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
although you've hit the nail on the head with your closing sentence in paragraph 2 - Cutler staying healthy is the main issue.
What are the chances of Cutler going down in Green Bay next week, you can just see it happening.

There is a lot of pressure on Lovie this season and if this year is as bad as others then i doubt he`ll be around next year, he is also taking charge of the defence.

Latest news regarding NFL coverage in the UK:

Latest news is that we won't have anything to report this week on a finished deal. One piece of information I can give you, though, is regarding the current hold-ups. Nothing that has kept the contracts from being signed and sealed in the last couple of weeks is due to finances - in fact that was one of the first pieces of these deals to be agreed. The current sticking points are all non-financial. Everyone is working to have them overcome in time to ensure that the opening weekend's slate of games are available on UK TV.

So it looks like it will be Monday or Tuesday before we hear anything concrete

Jumbo
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Just copied and pasted this from nfluk, we are getting live American football after all :thumbsup:

Sky Sports and the NFL have signed a new three-year deal which will see Sky showing live NFL games and additional NFL Network coverage. The deal continues a successful partnership between Sky Sports and the NFL in the UK that has been running since 1995.

Sky will air live coverage of games at 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. every Sunday night through the NFL season, as well as providing live coverage of the Saturday and Thursday night games that take place during the final seven weeks of the season, along with all postseason games.

Sky will also provide extensive weekday coverage of the NFL via their NFL Network programming, including NFL Total Access.

"Sky ongoing coverage of the NFL is great news for NFL fans across the UK," said NFL UK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood. "We are very pleased to be working with them for the 14th consecutive season."

Sky Sports' 2009 NFL presentation will be anchored by Kevin Cadle and Nick Halling. Their coverage will kick off on the night of Thursday September 10 th at 1:00 a.m. (Friday morning) with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers hosting the Tennessee Titans.

Sky Sports' Week One coverage will continue on Sunday September 13th, with Brett Favre's debut for the Minnesota Vikings against the Cleveland Browns at 6:00 p.m., followed at 9:00 p.m. with an NFC East showdown between the New York Giants and Washington Redskins.

Week Two's live NFL coverage features the Philadelphia Eagles hosting the New Orleans Saints at 6:00 p.m. followed by the first glimpse of the Wembley-bound Tampa Bay Buccaneers as they travel to Buffalo to face Terrell Owens and the Bills.

In Week Three, Sky will feature the Tennessee Titans visit to the New York Jets at 6:00 p.m., with a clash between the Miami Dolphins and San Diego Chargers at 9:00 p.m..

The final week of selected games sees the New England Patriots - visitors to Wembley in 2009 - hosting the Baltimore Ravens at 6:00 p.m., followed by the Denver Broncos facing off against the Dallas Cowboys.

J-C
05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Just copied and pasted this from nfluk, we are getting live American football after all :thumbsup:

Sky Sports and the NFL have signed a new three-year deal which will see Sky showing live NFL games and additional NFL Network coverage. The deal continues a successful partnership between Sky Sports and the NFL in the UK that has been running since 1995.

Sky will air live coverage of games at 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. every Sunday night through the NFL season, as well as providing live coverage of the Saturday and Thursday night games that take place during the final seven weeks of the season, along with all postseason games.

Sky will also provide extensive weekday coverage of the NFL via their NFL Network programming, including NFL Total Access.

"Sky ongoing coverage of the NFL is great news for NFL fans across the UK," said NFL UK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood. "We are very pleased to be working with them for the 14th consecutive season."

Sky Sports' 2009 NFL presentation will be anchored by Kevin Cadle and Nick Halling. Their coverage will kick off on the night of Thursday September 10 th at 1:00 a.m. (Friday morning) with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers hosting the Tennessee Titans.

Sky Sports' Week One coverage will continue on Sunday September 13th, with Brett Favre's debut for the Minnesota Vikings against the Cleveland Browns at 6:00 p.m., followed at 9:00 p.m. with an NFC East showdown between the New York Giants and Washington Redskins.

Week Two's live NFL coverage features the Philadelphia Eagles hosting the New Orleans Saints at 6:00 p.m. followed by the first glimpse of the Wembley-bound Tampa Bay Buccaneers as they travel to Buffalo to face Terrell Owens and the Bills.

In Week Three, Sky will feature the Tennessee Titans visit to the New York Jets at 6:00 p.m., with a clash between the Miami Dolphins and San Diego Chargers at 9:00 p.m..

The final week of selected games sees the New England Patriots - visitors to Wembley in 2009 - hosting the Baltimore Ravens at 6:00 p.m., followed by the Denver Broncos facing off against the Dallas Cowboys.

Thanks for all the info, good to see they've got their act together and signed a new deal. :greengrin

The wife'll hate sundays again, footbal all afternoon and NFL all night, may have to Sky+ the NFL and watch next day.

GhostofBolivar
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Either New York team would be a good choice. Other suggestions would be Baltimore, Miami, or Philadelphia. Picking a team like Buffalo, Houston, or Oakland is less of a safe choice and could be interesting.

Frank Pembleton would disagree. IIRC, "The Browns belong in Cleveland and the Colts belong in Baltimore."

Gatecrasher
10-09-2009, 08:28 PM
i see theres a game on ss2 tonight, too late for me :boo hoo:

anyone know if they get repeated?

EDIT: just seen tomorrow about 1300 or 2200

J-C
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
i see theres a game on ss2 tonight, too late for me :boo hoo:

anyone know if they get repeated?

EDIT: just seen tomorrow about 1300 or 2200

SS 3 at 12 noon or SS extra at 22.00 :thumbsup:

NYHibby
14-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I know this doesn't matter now, but ESPN only shows monday night football in America. There is no way that they would show anything more than just that game in the UK. It would require paying one of the other networks for their coverage.