PDA

View Full Version : Yogi talks Deeks and Benji

Winston Ingram
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8196154.stm

Wee snippet of him playing v Livi this afternoon. Also looks like Kurtis was playing as well

Danderhall Hibs
11-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Wee snippet of him playing v Livi this afternoon. Also looks like Kurtis was playing as well

He looks like he's lost a bit of beef. Hopefully he's had the kick up the arse he needs.

Billychaotic182
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
If he keeps his head down and works hard then good am a happy hibee.

But if he acts like a little b***h then he can get ti ****** lol

MrRobot
11-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Good to see him back. Looks like he has lost weight too.

I can see him staying now and proving people wrong. Hibs will play his type of football under Yogi.

GGTTH

zlatan
11-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Benji only jogged once in that short clip, typical, punt him now :grr:

Billychaotic182
11-08-2009, 06:03 PM

:cool2:

iwasthere1972
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Sack the guy cutting the grass as he's way too slow as well. 2min 15 secs into video. :grr:

BEEJ
11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Never expected him back at East Mains, if I'm honest.

Still interested to see if the Egyptian club re-open transfer discussions as we approach the last few days of the window.

hibsbollah
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
burn the witch
screw the nut
lazy
never Nish class
:blah::blah::blah:

Kaiser_Sauzee
11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I've got to say, I like listening to Hughes talk about the team.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2009, 06:34 PM

The man is the charismatic leader we've been looking for.

jabis
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
well chuffed :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Is he parting the Red Sea soon?

cockneymike
11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know about the red sea, but he may take us to the promised land.......

Scottish Cup anyone? Here's hoping eh!

wazoo1875
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I believe this too DBS . He says all the right things . We shall just have to wait till saturday now to see if his players have bought into his philosophies :agree:

IWasThere2016
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I'm more interested in the walk being walked personally

erin go bragh
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
cmon give the guy a break remember a certain final peach of a goal with his right then another peach with his left [ if he is big enough to say sorry and he has lets get behind benji

mentalhibee
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Good to see benji back in the hibs strip hopefully as yogi says he'll come back and prove a point!:thumbsup:

DanielMcLaren
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
what was the score in the bounce match

Spike Mandela
11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Good to see benji back in the hibs strip hopefully as yogi says he'll come back and prove a point!:thumbsup:

Benji is a waste of a salary. Doesn't want to be here and will almost certainly lead Zemamma astray.

Yogi just putting a brave face on the fact we haven't been able to offload him and bring someone else in.

jabis
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Benji is a waste of a salary. Doesn't want to be here and will almost certainly lead Zemamma astray.

Yogi just putting a brave face on the fact we haven't been able to offload him and bring someone else in.

had you just seen clips of him on youtube,and we signed him for £0.5 million,you would "almost certainly"be creaming your pants !

attitude or not,IF he tries we have a stonker of a player :thumbsup:

mind you opinions are like choccy starfish,we all have them.

jakedance
11-08-2009, 08:15 PM
New season. New manager. Fresh start for everyone.

He's like a new signing, one that may or may not turn out to be gash. Benji's a confidence player, if Yogi can get the best out of him and he gets our support he could be a very important player for us. I reckon a few folk will be eating humble pie when he seals his dream move to Real Madrid.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Didn't want Benji back but if he really screws the nut and applies himself i think he could be the difference between a good season and a great season. Just hope he gives the fans and team mates the respect they deserve, even if it's only for the remainder of his contract. :fez:

lucky
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Was thinking the same when I was watching the VT. Really looking forward to Saturday.

jon_snows_tie
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
IS that east mains behind yogi in that video? have we put the slope on the training pitches or something?

:wink:

Riordans Boots
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Same :agree:

Indeed he is :agree:

Onceinawhile
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
He looks like he's lost a bit of beef. Hopefully he's had the kick up the arse he needs.

It's the hepatitis

Toaods
11-08-2009, 09:14 PM

only jogged for a perfectly weighted chest pass.........the very thing Nish and Fletcher could barely manage once each between them in half a season.

Judas Iscariot
11-08-2009, 09:22 PM
what was the score in the bounce match

1-0 to Livi :cool2:

woody47
11-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Great to see him back. Hopefully we can see what we all know is a talented forward who can score goals. :thumbsup:

Iain G
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Has shown nothing but disrespect for Hibs over the last year or more, touting himself all over the place, now he has failed to get a move (probably because the other clubs spotted a workshy waste of space) he has come back to Hibs.

Sorry, but IMHO on first day back Yogi should have kicked him out on the street. :grr:

sboothibs
11-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Well I for one will give him another chance. A free flowing Benji will bring that something extra to this HIBS team. I am looking forward to Saturday and the start of a great season.

GGTTH

:scarf:

Gmack7
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Has shown nothing but disrespect for Hibs over the last year or more, touting himself all over the place, now he has failed to get a move (probably because the other clubs spotted a workshy waste of space) he has come back to Hibs.

Sorry, but IMHO on first day back Yogi should have kicked him out on the street. :grr:
all valid points but yogi didnae launch him and looked genuinley keen to work with him and start afresh so that will do for me

deek68
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Benji will benefit from a new rejeem at the club...

Iain G
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
all valid points but yogi didnae launch him and looked genuinley keen to work with him and start afresh so that will do for me

Interesting to see the fans all forgiving reaction if it had been one of our other players from last season, say Alan O'Brien, who had behaved like this towards Hibs, but becasue Benji is a favourite to some folks he, like Deeks, seems above the level of criticism that they probably deserve.

Can't help but think not punting Benji will come back and bite Yogi on the backside... :agree:

Winston Ingram
11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Benji will benefit from a new rejeem at the club...

Is that something Moroccan?:greengrin

deek68
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Is that something Moroccan?:greengrin

Dunno. But it's new. It's at the club. And Yogi knows about it...:wink:

Chuckie
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Interesting to see the fans all forgiving reaction if it had been one of our other players from last season, say Alan O'Brien, who had behaved like this towards Hibs, but becasue Benji is a favourite to some folks he, like Deeks, seems above the level of criticism that they probably deserve.

Can't help but think not punting Benji will come back and bite Yogi on the backside... :agree:

He is a favourite because he is a class act on the park..

Oh and that celebration against the jambos..

Welcome back Benjelloun..

Gmack7
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM

you cant sell him if no one wants to buy him so our options with benji seemed to be pay up his contract and let him saunter away or have him back trying to recapture the form of 2007

EskbankHibby
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Disagree, win win for Yogi in my opinion.

Option one (preferrable one) is that Benji knuckles down gets fit and has a great season, Yogi venerated as a black belt in man management and tactical jedi.

Option two (more likely imo), Benji f***s about and/or goes in the huff, Yogi tells him to bolt after giving him his "second chance".

Yogi's reputation as a fair and reasonable man is left intact.

basehibby
11-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Another great interview from Yogi who's certainly proving the doubters wrong who claimed he couldn't string two sentences together. It's always a pleasure to listen to him talk about football IMO.

Re Benji - I hope he responds to Hughes' methods and man management positively - if he does then everyones a winner :thumbsup:

sboothibs
11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Its up to Benji, he is a player who can assist with the new flowing footie Hibees this season. Got to be given the chance, enough rope to hang himself if that be the case.

IMHO i believe this will be a good season for Benji and HIBS, the chance to prove to himself and the fans that he still has it.

:flag:

shamo9
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM

What a terrible comparison. O'Brien is terrible while Benji has shown - on occasion - to have tremendous ability with a football.

At the end of the day if a player does it on the park then 99% of fans really don't care what happens off it. People can spout sanctimonious drivel about loyalty and passion but as long as success comes it is overlooked out of 'convenience'.

It happened with Ihun 'I'm gonna stick my middle finger up at you and burn my bridges' Murray.

It happened to Derek 'I'm gonna cheat the club out of a transfer fee and then celebrate with my new fans at Easter Road after I score to rub it in your face' Riordan.

And that's only in the last two years.

If Benji starts scoring goals (a big if), then his misdemeanors will be wiped away.

Toaods
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Another great interview from Yogi who's certainly proving the doubters wrong who claimed he couldn't string two sentences together. It's always a pleasure to listen to him talk about football IMO.

Re Benji - I hope he responds to Hughes' methods and man management positively - if he does then everyones a winner :thumbsup:

Won't entirely disagree - IMHO he was a slaver, but has improved - I for one won't deny that.

I recall clearly after Falkirk's cup final defeat a thread on here in which many seemed to acknowledge he came accross that day very well.

Perhaps that and the likelyhood he would become the next manager of Hibs(yes, even back then..:wink: ) brought home to him he had achieved what probably was beyond his wildest dreams, despite anything different he or others claim.

Iain G
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
What a terrible comparison. O'Brien is terrible while Benji has shown - on occasion - to have tremendous ability with a football.

At the end of the day if a player does it on the park then 99% of fans really don't care what happens off it. People can spout sanctimonious drivel about loyalty and passion but as long as success comes it is overlooked out of 'convenience'.

It happened with Ihun 'I'm gonna stick my middle finger up at you and burn my bridges' Murray.

It happened to Derek 'I'm gonna cheat the club out of a transfer fee and then celebrate with my new fans at Easter Road after I score to rub it in your face' Riordan.

And that's only in the last two years.

If Benji starts scoring goals (a big if), then his misdemeanors will be wiped away.

No, not a bad comparison, if O'Brien had treated Hibs like Benji has over the last year, the reaction on here would be very different to the almost prodigal son returning reaction that we are getting to Benji coming back, he would be getting slaughtered over it, but because Benji once had a good game or two for us his behaviour towards the club gets overlooked??

This is a player who has hardly bust a gut or kicked a ball for Hibs since the cup final win after all.

Hibbie_Cameron
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Interesting to see the fans all forgiving reaction if it had been one of our other players from last season, say Alan O'Brien, who had behaved like this towards Hibs, but becasue Benji is a favourite to some folks he, like Deeks, seems above the level of criticism that they probably deserve

I agree, just because he scored in a cup final victory does not mean he should get away with the way he has treated the club, not just once but time and time again

NOLA
12-08-2009, 12:48 AM
No, not a bad comparison, if O'Brien had treated Hibs like Benji has over the last year, the reaction on here would be very different to the almost prodigal son returning reaction that we are getting to Benji coming back, he would be getting slaughtered over it, but because Benji once had a good game or two for us his behaviour towards the club gets overlooked??

This is a player who has hardly bust a gut or kicked a ball for Hibs since the cup final win after all.

He fell out with the manager and coaching staff, nothing new to the modern footballer IMO was told your surplus to requirements and free to find a new club that will take you, fair enough, but with a new manager and philosophy to football being implemented why not give him a chance? if the board made it clear he was free to secure a move away from ER under Mixu, then i think let him be! after all JOHN HUGHES thinks he has a quality player in the squad and thats all that matters, not our bitching on a fans messageboard whether he should be here or not, he is here and if he does the biz it's good for the club in general!

poolman
12-08-2009, 01:19 AM

Really good interview that :agree:

I think that one thing is certain this season Yogi will have a great spirit within ER and that can only help on the field of play :thumbsup:

Septimus
12-08-2009, 06:32 AM
It really looks as though JH is prepared to give Benji another chance. Maybe it would be a good idea if the supporters backed the manager's decision.

Andy74
12-08-2009, 07:57 AM
There's a lot pf people that seem to think they know how Benji has acted or behaved in the last year or two. It's all total conjecture and I've not seen much evidence of him doing all that much wrong.

I'm delighted he's back, we need all the quality players we can get.

Danderhall Hibs
12-08-2009, 08:03 AM
There's a lot pf people that seem to think they know how Benji has acted or behaved in the last year or two. It's all total conjecture and I've not seen much evidence of him doing all that much wrong.

:agree: Just like the Yogi pouring wine over Petrie’s head “story”.

rainman
12-08-2009, 08:19 AM

:agree: Just like the Yogi pouring wine over Petrie’s head “story”.

What do we know?

He hasn't kicked a ball for us in almost 2 seasons.
He was overweight, disinterested and scored 1 goal in this time.
Bad mouthed the club at every opportunity when he was away

What is conjecture?

Swearing at Evans
Pimping himself to other clubs
Not trying a leg.

He can still GTF as far as I'm concerned.

RIP
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
It really looks as though JH is prepared to give Benji another chance. Maybe it would be a good idea if the supporters backed the manager's decision.

:top marks

What he said

When the lad was settled in Edinburgh he had a terrific season. Here are a few snippets.

Aug 06. Well Zouma made a fantastic debut and inspired Benji. Broonie made a trademark burst through the middle and slipped a pass to Benji who in true fashion cooly rounded the keeper to score
Knocked in a goal as we moved past Peterhead in the CIS Cup
Sep 06. Another CIS goal, this time a great diving header against Gretna
Oct 06. A blistering shot from the edge of the area in a win over Dunfermline
Dec 06. Knocked in another good goal against St Mirren
Jan 07. Two great goals against Aberdeen in the SCup replay. One where again he should class in rounding the keeper. The other he took a kickout from McNeil, cushioned it on his chest, ran at the defence and with a twist and turn, left them for dead before rifling his shot home
Scored another great goal against Well, this time from a tight angle
CIS SF against St Johnstone. For the third time that season strolled past the keeper to slot home - another cool, classy finish
Feb 07. 4th round Sc Cup against Gretna. Showed great close control, then curled a tremendous shot in off the post - hit keepers back on way in
Mar 07. Man of match performance against Falkirk the week before the CIS Final scoring two of our 3 goals in a win over Falkirk
Repeated the 2-goal performance against Killie, coming within inches of a hat-trick. 2 great finishes. To quote Pat Nevin "I'm not sure there's anyone better in Scotland right now who can go either right or left...I don't think he cares"
Jul 07. Five great goals in the close-season including absolutely stunning shots against Stirling and Bolton

Then Ramadan, agent talk, the death of his father, his crumbling marriage, the loan deals, the "find another club" carry on.

There's no doubt the guy has wasted the last two years partly due to all the complements going to his heid, severe personal trauma, the Ramadan carry-oan and the feeling unwanted.

It would be amazing if he could work with Yogi to rebuild his career. There is no doubt that he's probably the most skilful finisher we have at the club.

Great for Benji - Great for Hibs!

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Basically football fans are like battered wives who take back the abuser with the pathetic wail "but he's changed..."

Benji will let us down again, odds-on.

But I don't really care provided we get some magic from him along the way.

sadtom
12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Is he parting the Red Sea soon?

Already done that, in his sleep i believe.:greengrin
It is good to hear our manager talk with a lot of sense and obvious feeling for the club. I think (pleeeease) he's gonna do well.

As for Benji i've not been at all happy about about his lack of respect. If he is here to atone and puts the effort in and if Yogi feels confident enough to play him them he will obviiously get my support if he pulls on the jersey again.

matty_f
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
What do we know?

He hasn't kicked a ball for us in almost 2 seasons.
He was overweight, disinterested and scored 1 goal in this time.
Bad mouthed the club at every opportunity when he was away

What is conjecture?

Swearing at Evans
Pimping himself to other clubs
Not trying a leg.

The swearing thing is taken way out of proportion, IMHO. I have seen probably upwards of fifty occasions watching under 19s last season, where a coach (not necessarily at Hibs, btw) has roasted a player, only for the player to tell them where to shove their comments, so to speak.

FWIW,I don't think Benji was given a huge opportunity to play under Collins, once Ramadan kicked in. Benji gets criticised for not playing for Hibs through injury, but playing for Morocco at the same time - IIRC, Benji stated a number of times that he wanted to play for Hibs but he was held back.

I don't like the way that he's treated the club, but there's two sides to it. He and Mixu clearly didn't get on, and actually - having watched the style of football we produced last season, who can actually blame Benji for speaking out against it?

I think he owes the club big style, but he's certainly not the pantomime villain that he's being portrayed as by some on here.

Toaods
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
What do we know?

He hasn't kicked a ball for us in almost 2 seasons. - most of which he was not selected by the manager or out of the country
He was overweight, disinterested and scored 1 goal in this time. - ties in with the previous point.
Bad mouthed the club at every opportunity when he was away - never once on film, all second hand newspaper type stories, mostly translated from Arabic, not that any foreign news reporter has licence to make it all up without fear of recrimination.

What is conjecture?

Swearing at Evans - witnessed by a fair few but not exactly criminal.
Pimping himself to other clubs - how do you define pimping in this context? It has been revealed Hibs gave him permission to seek a transfer, that makes any action he took legit.
Not trying a leg. - they said the same of Ally MacLeod and he was a fabulous player to watch.

I don't think those that suggest he GTF will change their views, pretty much as those of us who recognise what he could bring to the club won't change ours. It's the classic case of you either love him or hate him, so here's hoping we all have a benji love -in shortly when one of his exocet strikes hits the net.

Mad Ferret
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM

What he said

When the lad was settled in Edinburgh he had a terrific season. Here are a few snippets.

Aug 06. Well Zouma made a fantastic debut and inspired Benji. Broonie made a trademark burst through the middle and slipped a pass to Benji who in true fashion cooly rounded the keeper to score
Jan 07. Two great goals against Aberdeen in the SCup replay. One where again he should class in rounding the keeper. The other he took a kickout from McNeil, cushioned it on his chest, ran at the defence and with a twist and turn, left them for dead before rifling his shot home
CIS SF against St Johnstone. For the third time that season strolled past the keeper to slot home - another cool, classy finish
Feb 07. 4th round Sc Cup against Gretna. Showed great close control, then curled a tremendous shot in off the post - hit keepers back on way in
Mar 07. Man of match performance against Falkirk the week before the CIS Final scoring two of our 3 goals in a win over Falkirk
Repeated the 2-goal performance against Killie, coming within inches of a hat-trick. 2 great finishes. To quote Pat Nevin "I'm not sure there's anyone better in Scotland right now who can go either right or left...I don't think he cares"
Jul 07. Five great goals in the close-season including absolutely stunning shots against Stirling and Bolton

Then Ramadan, agent talk, the death of his father, his crumbling marriage, the loan deals, the "find another club" carry on.

There's no doubt the guy has wasted the last two years partly due to all the complements going to his heid, severe personal trauma, the Ramadan carry-oan and the feeling unwanted.

It would be amazing if he could work with Yogi to rebuild his career. There is no doubt that he's probably the most skilful finisher we have at the club.

At last some objective reality amongst all the fantasy.

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I dont want him back, i think he's not interested in playing for us, but if he's here, and if he can get fit and play for hibs, then get him in. Its a win win situation. He is fit and playing, he gets to showcase his ability to other teams. He could get his transfer he clearly wants, and we might get some money for him. And also he will probably keep Nish out the team.

EskbankHibby
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
The swearing thing is taken way out of proportion, IMHO. I have seen probably upwards of fifty occasions watching under 19s last season, where a coach (not necessarily at Hibs, btw) has roasted a player, only for the player to tell them where to shove their comments, so to speak.

FWIW,I don't think Benji was given a huge opportunity to play under Collins, once Ramadan kicked in. Benji gets criticised for not playing for Hibs through injury, but playing for Morocco at the same time - IIRC, Benji stated a number of times that he wanted to play for Hibs but he was held back.

I don't like the way that he's treated the club, but there's two sides to it. He and Mixu clearly didn't get on, and actually - having watched the style of football we produced last season, who can actually blame Benji for speaking out against it?

I think he owes the club big style, but he's certainly not the pantomime villain that he's being portrayed as by some on here.

I liked JC's footballing philosophy and professionalism but not playing/selecting/training players during Ramadan was flawed imo.

Iirc JC used non-selection as an injury prevention strategy, "they are weak therefore more likely to get injured and less effective players". How many muslim players are there in Europe never mind Africa or Asia? Can't recall many other teams/nations employing this strategy.

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/19085450/Dietary_intake_and_body_composition_of_football_pl ayers_during_the_holy_month_of_Ramadan

Only an abstract but seems to suggest fasting for Ramadan may not have a massive physiological effect on professional athletes.

--------
12-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Disagree, win win for Yogi in my opinion.

Option one (preferrable one) is that Benji knuckles down gets fit and has a great season, Yogi venerated as a black belt in man management and tactical jedi.

Option two (more likely imo), Benji f***s about and/or goes in the huff, Yogi tells him to bolt after giving him his "second chance".

Yogi's reputation as a fair and reasonable man is left intact.

One difference between Benji and O'Brien is that Benji DID produce the goods for us, including a performance in a winning Final team. O'|Brien did nothing at all.

None of us know what really happened, but I can't help feeling that something serious happened or was said at the time of his first Ramadan under Collins' regime.

Lots of Muslim players play in the UK, but that was the very first time I had ever heard of Ramadan being a problem. Nor can I see why it should have been seen as a problem - Muslims aren't required to fast for a month - the requirement is to fast during hours of daylight. There was no reason whatsoever IMO that Benji and Zouma could have kept themselves fit through that month.

When Collins and Craig left and paatelainen came, there was a chance to sort things out which wasn't taken. then the boy expressed a fairly pungent opinion of MP's approach to the game - an opinion 95% of us came to sahe over the ensuing months - and he was punted out on loan.

IMO Yogi's only doing now what should have been done 18 months ago.

If a fit and willing Abdessellam Benjelloun appears on our bench some time around the end of September, that will be a big bonus even if it's only until the end of the season. If he doesn't, we've lost nothing.

The same three-four months this season he gave us in 2006-07, and I'll be quite happy.

I think Zouma's strong-minded enough to look after his own game and his own career, too.

sadtom
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Swearing is one thing, accusing someone of being a racist for no reason is a whole different kettle of fish.

Judas Iscariot
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

What he said

Superb post mate..

Agree 100% :agree:

josef k
12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Basically football fans are like battered wives who take back the abuser with the pathetic wail "but he's changed..."

Benji will let us down again, odds-on.

But I don't really care provided we get some magic from him along the way.

Just about agree. There is some serious revisionism on this thread though. Benji’s actions over the last couple of years have been disgraceful, and if the club had decided to sack him then I would have fully supported the action. His numerous appearances for us when he did little other than stand still and moan seriously stick in the throat, never mind what he said/didn’t say of the park. However, what benefits the club is the most important thing and if Yogi wants to see if he can turn Benji round then I hope he can. Benji, though, had better keep his head down, his mouth shut and work like a Trojan. I live in hope more than expectation...

hibsbollah
12-08-2009, 11:52 AM

What he said

Andy74
12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Just about agree. There is some serious revisionism on this thread though. Benji’s actions over the last couple of years have been disgraceful, and if the club had decided to sack him then I would have fully supported the action. His numerous appearances for us when he did little other than stand still and moan seriously stick in the throat, never mind what he said/didn’t say of the park. However, what benefits the club is the most important thing and if Yogi wants to see if he can turn Benji round then I hope he can. Benji, though, had better keep his head down, his mouth shut and work like a Trojan. I live in hope more than expectation...

I think you are guilty of a fair bit of revisionism yourself.

"Numerous appearances for us when he did little other than stand still and moan"

Could you give me a rundown of those please?? I can think of one game against Queens Park when the whole team were a disgrace, and he was not hiding his frustration. I look forward to being reminded of the rest.

I'm still not seeing the actions over the years that people refer to. He was fit and in form until JC dropped him for Ramadan, JC's choice, not his, he wanted to play.

He then got injured, had personal problems including the death of his Dad and his marriage going wrong. He at various times claimed he we was fit but JC wouldn't play him, his country asked him to report a couple of times and they passed him fit.

A frustrating time followed, understandably.

Then Mixu comes along, he swears at a coach, big deal, he's not wanted so Hibs send him away on loan, in an interview IN WHICH HE WAS ACTUALLY VERY COMPLMENTARY ABOUT HIBS he also said the tactics were dire. He was right. I'm not sure many have seen the whole thing but the guy that interviewed him posted the whole context here some time ago.

Then this year he admittedly messes up by not getting his papers sorted to get back here. He was told by Hibs, however, that he was free to leave if he found a club and it seems he tried to do just that but it didn't work out.

He's now back.

For me the revisionism is the story that has built up around him and has grown arms and legs.

The important thing for me is that he's a cracking player and I've never had an issue with what he has produced on the pitch, maybe one game excepted.

jacomo
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
you cant sell him if no one wants to buy him so our options with benji seemed to be pay up his contract and let him saunter away or have him back trying to recapture the form of 2007

:agree:

I have concerns over Benji's attitude, and feel that he's too similar to Riordan and JJ - ideally, a 4th striker in the squad would offer us a different option.

But, if he's still on the pay roll, and he's serious about making an effort, then Yogi will try and use him for the benefit of the club. As the gaffer says, he is a talent.

Personally, I'm not convinced that it will work out, but if no one else wants him, then it's worth a go. I don't think he'll be a bad influence on anyone else - Zemmama seems to know his own mind, and Yogi seems to have enough authority not to let that happen.

Jones28
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Good interview fom Yogi, glad to see Benji back in a Hibs top, what a talent that boy can be when he pulls his finger out :agree:

josef k
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I think you are guilty of a fair bit of revisionism yourself.

"Numerous appearances for us when he did little other than stand still and moan"

Could you give me a rundown of those please?? I can think of one game against Queens Park when the whole team were a disgrace, and he was not hiding his frustration. I look forward to being reminded of the rest.

I'm still not seeing the actions over the years that people refer to. He was fit and in form until JC dropped him for Ramadan, JC's choice, not his, he wanted to play.

He then got injured, had personal problems including the death of his Dad and his marriage going wrong. He at various times claimed he we was fit but JC wouldn't play him, his country asked him to report a couple of times and they passed him fit.

A frustrating time followed, understandably.

Then Mixu comes along, he swears at a coach, big deal, he's not wanted so Hibs send him away on loan, in an interview IN WHICH HE WAS ACTUALLY VERY COMPLMENTARY ABOUT HIBS he also said the tactics were dire. He was right. I'm not sure many have seen the whole thing but the guy that interviewed him posted the whole context here some time ago.

Then this year he admittedly messes up by not getting his papers sorted to get back here. He was told by Hibs, however, that he was free to leave if he found a club and it seems he tried to do just that but it didn't work out.

He's now back.

For me the revisionism is the story that has built up around him and has grown arms and legs.

The important thing for me is that he's a cracking player and I've never had an issue with what he has produced on the pitch, maybe one game excepted.

Not guilty guv. I am relaying my memories of Benji playing, I haven't revised them. I watched Hibs regularly during this period and I remember being regularly frustrated by his work rate and attitude. I can't say that I noted down the times, dates and locations of his lack of effort. It’s not like when someone scores a great goal or something else when it tends to etch itself clearly in your mind ('Do you remember that time ten minutes into the game against Aberdeen when Benji didn't bother to do anything?'). If you remember it differently then so be it.

I take it that you disagree with Yogi, though, when he commented that Benji had been messing the club, players and fans about? That he had been disrespectful to the board, club, players and fans? Or when he said that he had to apologise to a few people at the club including himself (Yogi) and the supporters? In my view Benji has been out of order. But, if Yogi is willing to see if he can get him to buckle down, shut up and work then I support his decision.