PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Stevie Hammell

Bizzle14
11-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Dundee manager Jocky Scott says he is interested in signing out-of-favour Motherwell left-back Stevie Hammell. (The Sun)

Although i'd say RB is more of an issue for us, if Hammell is available we should be in there for him!!

Andy74
11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Dundee manager Jocky Scott says he is interested in signing out-of-favour Motherwell left-back Stevie Hammell. (The Sun)

Although i'd say RB is more of an issue for us, if Hammell is available we should be in there for him!!

Why's that then?

Bizzle14
11-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Why's that then?

He's a guy with decent SPL experience, Would allow Murray to move to CH, Bamba into Midfield and Hanlon and Hammell to compete for LB

Brooster
11-08-2009, 09:22 AM

We are a bit short of LB's right enough.

Perspective
11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Hammell's someone I've always rated highly and he'd have been a good replacement for David Murphy at the time.

However, signing him now would block the progression of Paul Hanlon and Callum Booth who are both going to need regular first-team football to accelerate their progression.

Given Murray and Stevenson can also fill in there I think any spare funds will have to be aimed elsewhere.

Steve20
11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Would prefer Hanlon to get a run at left back.

Andy74
11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
He's a guy with decent SPL experience, Would allow Murray to move to CH, Bamba into Midfield and Hanlon and Hammell to compete for LB

Who says we want Murray at centre half and Bamba into midfield??

We have Murray, Hanlon, Stevenson and Booth all of whom could do as good, or better a job than Hammel who seems to have done nothing of any note since leaving Motherwell in the first place and now seems surplus to requirements in a team struggling for players.

Delboy4
11-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Would prefer Hanlon to get a run at left back.

I've got to agree:agree:

Did anyone notice that Hanlon has filled out - not just a wee laddie anymore! I think he will be our 1st pick as LB by the end of the season.

Beefster
11-08-2009, 09:29 AM

I think we should check to see if St Mirren and Killie have any reserve players for sale first.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-08-2009, 09:29 AM

I without a doubt do, Bamba is a brilliant SPL midfielder, and although he hasnt been givena run there, there are defenite doubts over his abilities as a centre half, no due to his size, but his awareness and decision making. I also feel that Murray is wasted at LB, he should be in the middle where he can fully influence the team.

IMO we have fantastic SPL players in Murray, Bamba, Zemmama and Riordan, and should try to get these influencing what happens on the pitch as much as possible, through the middle...

dirtydirk
11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Would be quite ironic if we signed him considering Collins quit because Petrie wouldnt match Hammils wage demands.

Wellfan1984
11-08-2009, 09:55 AM
The Sun have it wrong.

1. He is not out of favour. Has started and finished 4 of our six European Games. One he didn't play as we tried something different, trying to figure out where Reynolds best position is - while another he came on in the first half.

2. We have already knocked back a bid for approx 150K for him.

3. Gannon has stated he will feature a lot in our SPL Campaign.

BryanV
11-08-2009, 10:00 AM

We have Murray, Hanlon, Stevenson and Booth all of whom could do as good, or better a job than Hammel who seems to have done nothing of any note since leaving Motherwell in the first place and now seems surplus to requirements in a team struggling for players.

I want Bamba in midfield, I don't know if I am one of the WE. However, as Andy74 says the potential move to Dundee is not a reward for playing well over the past season.

Greenway
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
The Sun have it wrong.

1. He is not out of favour. Has started and finished 4 of our six European Games. One he didn't play as we tried something different, trying to figure out where Reynolds best position is - while another he came on in the first half.

I can't believe that you're suggesting the Sun has just made this up. What's even more amazing is that some people not only "read" it, but will actually admit to it.

Personally I get all my football insight from the Dandy or similar quality papers.

PS: I hear the guy Roy, who I think plays for the Rovers, is a decent prospect. Don't know if he's Hibs class though. :duck:

PeeKay
11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
:
PS: I hear the guy Roy, who I think plays for the Rovers, is a decent prospect. Don't know if he's Hibs class though. :duck:

I remember Roy Race (aka Roy of the Rovers) being at his best in the early sixties. A bit long in the tooth to make it into a Hibs team now, don't you think :greengrin

brog
11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
The Sun have it wrong.

Thanks for clarification, I was a bit surprised at this as I thought I remembered Hammell winning some supporters' awards last season. He certainly played well every time I saw him on box.

HibeeUnderwood
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Wheres the proof that Hammell's out of favour? isn't he the only left back that they've got there anyway?

I would like to see Hammell play for us one day, but not right now as well pointed we are doing quite well for the left back role just now. :agree:

Expecting Rain
12-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Good player, if he played right back i`d take him in a minute, if he signed for Hibs this week i wouldn`t be too disappointed, Hanlon looks a great prospect but he can also play centre-back, Murray is also versatile, as for Lewis he ain`t a left back but a central midfielder, we haven`t got an array of Paul Breitners contrary to belief but players that can adapt to the role, decent suggestion in my opinion.