PDA

View Full Version : New players

cabbage07
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
With yogi saying that 2or3 players maybe for nextweek has anyone heard who they might be?

nonshinyfinish
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
With yogi saying that 2or3 players maybe for nextweek has anyone heard who they might be?

I've heard Humphrey Rudge and Lyndon Andrews.

HibeeUnderwood
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I've heard Humphrey Rudge and Lyndon Andrews.

Don't know likes, I'm pretty sure I heard Janos Matyus and Antonio Murray. :agree: :faf:

Expecting Rain
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Benji and JJ?

Hibbyradge
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Stokes.

--------
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Bob Malcolm. :devil:

Hibs90
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
A new striker and a right back please Yogi.

--------
09-08-2009, 12:04 PM

I heard we're looking at this Cameroonian international right-back and an Irish bloke who's supposed to be lightning fast.

Recommended by Tommy Craig, I heard.

stubru59
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM

When and where did he say two or three players (maybe) next week?

--------
09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
When and where did he say two or three players (maybe) next week?

He's quoted on the main board today.

He's been saying it all week.

hibztilltheend
09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I heard we're looking at this Cameroonian international right-back and an Irish bloke who's supposed to be lightning fast.

ivan sproule :greengrin

J-C
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM

The last lightening fast Irishman that he recommended was a left footed waste of space, who ran around looking like a frightened rabbit.:greengrin

ChrissyG1875
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM

:pray:

--------
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
ivan sproule :greengrin

Nope, that wasn't the name....

Seriously, I hear that there's a possibility of Darren Dods coming back as a 'big, strong centre-half' like we're alleged to be so in need of.

blaikie
09-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Barr hopefully :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:34 PM

:agree: And a centre-half.

Crab apple
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't know likes, I'm pretty sure I heard Janos Matyus and Antonio Murray. :agree: :faf:

Close. I'd heard it was someone called Andy Murray and his brother Jamie. Andy's going to play up front and Jamie will be right back. Good all round sportsmen I understand. And apparently the Miller brothers - Greg and Graeme are coming back as co-managers to replace Yogi after the dismal draws against Bolton and Blackburn.

Forza Fred
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Bob Malcolm. :devil:

He played for Brisbane last night!

wee hay
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
i heard a full back and a centre half are on the edge of signing:thumbsup:

--------
09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
i heard a full back and a centre half are on the edge of signing:thumbsup:

Edge... Didn't he use to play for us? Have him back in an instant!!!!! :devil:

Billychaotic182
09-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Barr and Stokes

sleeping giant
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
He's quoted on the main board today.

He's been saying it all week.

Whurs aboots ?

--------
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Whurs aboots ?

Official site.

“I still have to say that football is a big man’s game and picking up knocks is part and parcel of it. The players have been very receptive of what we are trying to do, it would be nice to rest them up and get them ready to go next Saturday. What I am saying is that what I have in terms of the squad right now - I can’t ask anymore of them, but I still like to think that I could add two or three.

“It is an ongoing process and we have to make sure it is the right ones. I hope to have people in for next Saturday, but the thing that has impressed me about the club since I came back to Hibernian is the way we run our business. It is not done on a wing and a prayer, everything we do is structured and I think that is designed to ensure you get the right guy in. I have been very impressed and we will take our time to ensure it is the right player and that we can afford it.”

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=3607_0_1_0_C

That's not the first time he's said it. Business always tends to brisk up as the transfer window gets nearer to closing.

sleeping giant
09-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Official site.

“I still have to say that football is a big man’s game and picking up knocks is part and parcel of it. The players have been very receptive of what we are trying to do, it would be nice to rest them up and get them ready to go next Saturday. What I am saying is that what I have in terms of the squad right now - I can’t ask anymore of them, but I still like to think that I could add two or three.

“It is an ongoing process and we have to make sure it is the right ones. I hope to have people in for next Saturday, but the thing that has impressed me about the club since I came back to Hibernian is the way we run our business. It is not done on a wing and a prayer, everything we do is structured and I think that is designed to ensure you get the right guy in. I have been very impressed and we will take our time to ensure it is the right player and that we can afford it.”

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=3607_0_1_0_C

That's not the first time he's said it. Business always tends to brisk up as the transfer window gets nearer to closing.

Cheers for taking the time for that:thumbsup:

I must be going blind. I have no idea why that would be happening:greengrin

--------
09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Cheers for taking the time for that:thumbsup:

I must be going blind. I have no idea why that would be happening:greengrin

You're welcome. :greengrin

I can't possibly comment on your ocular disabilities. Too many late nights, perhaps? :cool2:

IWasThere2016
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Stokes.

In about 3 weeks maybe.

We do need another striker in. No Hibs player has scored in the last four pre-season games. That's pish IMHO.

Time for the Board to get an effn move on! :grr:

KeithTheHibby
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
In about 3 weeks maybe.

We do need another striker in. No Hibs player has scored in the last four pre-season games. That's pish IMHO.

Any reason why TQM?

Andy74
10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
In about 3 weeks maybe.

Agree on the striker front, I thought if JJ had got fit and had a good pre-season he'd have been liek a new signing but that hasn't happened so we need someone in. To have Nish as a stick on starter every week isn't a great position, much as I think he will score goals. We need more options.

Benji maybe?! :wink:

I don't think the Board are dragging any heels for the sake of it. If we are in for the likes of Stokes then I've no doubt that those sort of deals will be done on deadline day. No-one will blink until then.

--------
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Agree on the striker front, I thought if JJ had got fit and had a good pre-season he'd have been liek a new signing but that hasn't happened so we need someone in. To have Nish as a stick on starter every week isn't a great position, much as I think he will score goals. We need more options.

Benji maybe?! :wink:

I don't think the Board are dragging any heels for the sake of it. If we are in for the likes of Stokes then I've no doubt that those sort of deals will be done on deadline day. No-one will blink until then.

I think JJ can still provide us with some goals, and Benji MIGHT sort himself out and do the same. Kurtis will come good, but it's breakthrough season for him - he's not yet a first-team regular. Deek is Deek - always a threat and should be good for 15-20 goals a season - but he's not the most predictable of players. Nor is Colin Nish - on his day, he'll score, but he does tend to blow hot and cold. We need a consistent, dependable lead striker, IMO - but then, doesn't every team in the League?

But I agree that the business will go down to the wire - and I'm finding I have to remind myself every now and again that Hughes and Rice have been in post SIX weeks only. A lot has already happened in that time.

Seany HFC 7-0
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Barr and Stokes

:agree: Have been my pick of our signing targets all summer

Hibs7
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
In about 3 weeks maybe.

Any other snippets you would care to elaborate on ??:greengrin

forthhibby
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Any reason why TQM?

transfer window closes in about 3 weeks, sunderland will be a lot easier to deal with then

JCHibby
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
How about:

Barr
Stokes
Boozy

Not a bad three who would pretty much walk into the team?

CABBAGE & RIBS
10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Definitely a proven goal scorer and center half with experience.

Just Jimmy
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
How about:

Barr
Stokes
Boozy

I'd be chuffed with that. I think we need a 'number 9' striker however.

--------
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd be chuffed with that.

I think we need a 'number 9' striker however.

:agree: What I said.

Not sure about Boozy back, though.

Not terribly enamoured with the idea of 'la recherche du temps perdu', myself. :cool2:

Billychaotic182
10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
How about:

Barr
Stokes
Boozy

And really your not talkin about big fees with them

Golden Bear
10-08-2009, 11:44 AM
And really your not talkin about big fees with them

This is true -------- however wages could prove to be the stumbling block.

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I really think Barr and Stokes would be pretty average signings.

Barr has never really done anything to impress me or justify him being a replacement for Jones, and we also need a bit of height at the back as our only really tall player is Bamba, which Barr doesnt have.

As for Stokes, he had a quality run with Falkirk, but that was 3 years ago and his record since then has been awful; not saying he wouldnt be a good signing but hes a fair gamble considering Sunderland are wanting a decent fee for him arent they?

If these guys did sign I would give them support as we should get behind every player, but Im fairly unimpressed if these are who we are looking at.

--------
10-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I really think Barr and Stokes would be pretty average signings.

Barr has never really done anything to impress me or justify him being a replacement for Jones, and we also need a bit of height at the back as our only really tall player is Bamba, which Barr doesnt have.

As for Stokes, he had a quality run with Falkirk, but that was 3 years ago and his record since then has been awful; not saying he wouldnt be a good signing but hes a fair gamble considering Sunderland are wanting a decent fee for him arent they?

If these guys did sign I would give them support as we should get behind every player, but Im fairly unimpressed if these are who we are looking at.

Nobody actually KNOWS who we're looking at.

There's a lot of speculation going on - the possibility that we might still be in for barr and Stokes, the possibility of Boozy coming back, the possibility that we might be about to get two of Arsenal's youngsters on a season's loan deal, whatever.

Barr I think would strengthen us at the back in the sense that he's an adaptable player who would be able to back up the first choices in any position from right-back to centre-midfield. Whether we need someone like that or want someone like that when we have Darren McCormack and Steve Thicot already is another question.

Stokes was very good when he was at Falkirk with Hughes before. He's done very little since. He would be expensive right now, but his price may come down nearer to the end of the window. IMO he'd be a gamble.

Boozy is proven, and could well be a good signing. But he's training with Celtic, as I understand from another current thread, and in principle I'm not too comfortable with the idea of bringing players back for second spells - it doesn't work too often, in my experience. But we've done it with Murray and Riordan, and they seem to be doing OK, so maybe we should be looking at Boozy too.

But I suspect that if we show an interets in signing him, Mowbray will offer him terms we can't match, and that'll be the end of it. I'd rather not give Celtic or Mowbray the satisfaction, tbh.

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah I was just saying wouldnt be too convinced by either of those signings; maybe Barr if he was brought in as a RB but not as a CB, and Sunderland have made it pretty clear they want a decent fee for him so might just be too big a risk.

Boozy is another one that Im not sure about; if we could get the old Boozy back then wouldnt think twice, but before he left he was very hot and cold, some weeks he just didnt turn up and was fairly frustrating to watch as he has so much ability.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah I was just saying wouldnt be too convinced by either of those signings; maybe Barr if he was brought in as a RB but not as a CB, and Sunderland have made it pretty clear they want a decent fee for him so might just be too big a risk.

Boozy is another one that Im not sure about; if we could get the old Boozy back then wouldnt think twice, but before he left he was very hot and cold, some weeks he just didnt turn up and was fairly frustrating to watch as he has so much ability.

:agree: My thoughts exactly.

ScottB
10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
The Russell Anderson rumour seems to have gone away sadly.

I think Stokes is too big a risk given what he'd cost based on his few months of good form for Falkirk 2 years ago.

Franck is God
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
:agree: Have been my pick of our signing targets all summer

Don't really understand this.

All over this board people have gone on about needing a dominant centre half (not me by the way) and that Hogg is too small to be good yet the majority seem convinced that Barr is the answer. He is a decent defender but certainly no better than any we currently have and I wouldn't pick him ahead of Hogg, Bamba or Murray and it would get in the way of the development of McCormack and Moyes.

As for Stokes, his goal scoring record is awful. Apart from a 4/5 month period with Falkirk he has done nothing to suggest that he is capable of anything more. His record doesn't compare to Nish, JJ or Riordan so which one would you leave out? And again the Benji situation hasn't been cleared up yet and even he has a better scoring record than Stokes and we have Kurtis Byrne coming through too who you would also hope would play a part this season.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM

All over this board people have gone on about needing a dominant centre half (not me by the way) and that Hogg is too small to be good yet the majority seem convinced that Barr is the answer. He is a decent defender but certainly no better than any we currently have and I wouldn't pick him ahead of Hogg, Bamba or Murray and it would get in the way of the development of McCormack and Moyes.

As for Stokes, his goal scoring record is awful. Apart from a 4/5 month period with Falkirk he has done nothing to suggest that he is capable of anything more. His record doesn't compare to Nish, JJ or Riordan so which one would you leave out? And again the Benji situation hasn't been cleared up yet and even he has a better scoring record than Stokes and we have Kurtis Byrne coming through too who you would also hope would play a part this season.

Likesay - loads of speculation, little in the way of firm info.

Maybe Yogi will surprise us - Zaliukas and Clum from the Jambos, anyone? :devil:

Andy74
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
What's all this about Barr being possibly a decent squad player for us?

He's a current Scottish international - surely he'd be in our team no problem?

MyJo
10-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Barr would be wasted at at RB and If he was to sign then it would surely be to play at CB where he impressed at Falkirk....I would prefer to see a new RB being brought in or even Ian Murray moved across to play there rather than trying to "convert" a centre half.

Stokes hasn't flourished at sunderland but that doesn't mean he won't be a good SPL striker, and IMO he would probably score a fair amount in our team playing in this league but as you say the fee is the stumbling block but Sunderland don't want him and Petrie is playing a waiting game and if we go back on 31st August with an offer of £300k-£500k and a sell on clause then sunderland might be tempted into accepting to get him off the wage bill and recouping a bit of dosh when he is out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
What's all this about Barr being possibly a decent squad player for us?

He's a current Scottish international - surely he'd be in our team no problem?

He's on record as saying he sees himself as a centre-back, and that he prefers playing there.

I'm not saying he won't come to us, and I'm not saying he won't take a place in the team at centre-back beside Hogg. I would have no problem with that. Yogi, however, has been quoted, just today, as publicly praising Sol Bamba for his play against Blackburn and Bolton at centre-back.

That, of course, may be Yogi's cunning plan to raise a smokescreen to put others off the scnt and lower the asking price.

Like I say - looads of speculation, no firm info.

"It all rather confusing, really...." :rolleyes:

PeterboroHibee
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Barr would be wasted at at RB and If he was to sign then it would surely be to play at CB where he impressed at Falkirk....I would prefer to see a new RB being brought in or even Ian Murray moved across to play there rather than trying to "convert" a centre half.

Stokes hasn't flourished at sunderland but that doesn't mean he won't be a good SPL striker, and IMO he would probably score a fair amount in our team playing in this league but as you say the fee is the stumbling block but Sunderland don't want him and Petrie is playing a waiting game and if we go back on 31st August with an offer of £300k-£500k and a sell on clause then sunderland might be tempted into accepting to get him off the wage bill and recouping a bit of dosh when he is out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

Well then I dont think Barr would be a good signing; I wasnt meaning it as in he is a good RB etc, but he just isnt, imo, what we are looking for as a CB. We need a big CB and hes the same size or smaller than Hogg; what do we against teams like United who are a team of big players?

As for Stokes, it wasnt just Sunderland, he wasnt great for Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, and a fee of £300k-500k would be mental for a guy whos a bit of an unknown considering he hasnt really done much for 3 years!

gorgie greens
10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Thought I read on here about two players comming on loan from Arsenal.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Well then I dont think Barr would be a good signing; I wasnt meaning it as in he is a good RB etc, but he just isnt, imo, what we are looking for as a CB. We need a big CB and hes the same size or smaller than Hogg; what do we against teams like United who are a team of big players?

As for Stokes, it wasnt just Sunderland, he wasnt great for Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, and a fee of £300k-500k would be mental for a guy whos a bit of an unknown considering he hasnt really done much for 3 years!

Oddly enough, the best central defenders I remember at ER haven't been noticeably tall men - big enough, but not huge. Jones was by far the tallest of them.

Neither John McNamee nor John Madsen were exceptionally tall, but both were very effective. (And then some. :devil: )

Jim Black wasn't a tall man, nor was John Blackley, but they were strong mobile defenders and footballers - and either would walk into the side today.

Roy Barry doesn't strike me as having been huge, either, and Yogi himself isn't an exceptionally tall man - there were a lot of players taller than him when he played for us, but IIRC he managed OK. Franck Sauzee is another example, as was Gary Smith. These men were all good defenders for us over the years.

I'd rather have a footballer than a big stopper - one of my reservations about Jones is that while he was a stalwart when our backs were to the wall, his distribution and positioning weren't (shall we say) quite of the best. And he consistently held too deep a line, IMO. I got sick to the back teeth of us defending in our six-yard box and around the penalty spot, and that, IMO was in large part down to Jones.

Actually, I won't be surprised if Barr does arrive at ER sooner rather than later. (Won't the Yams be pleased for us - cue long threads on Keechback explaining that they really didn't want him at all, he's really rubbish, he wouldn't fit in with Shabby's cunning defensive plans, he's just a Hobo peg-selling junkie freak anyway....) And if he does, I'd expect him to play at left centre-half beside Chris Hogg.

But then, is the lad right-footed, I ask myself? :rolleyes:

And what do we do with Big Sol?

"It's all rather confusing, really...."

MyJo
10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Oddly enough, the best central defenders I remember at ER haven't been noticeably tall men - big enough, but not huge. Jones was by far the tallest of them.

Neither John McNamee nor John Madsen were exceptionally tall, but both were very effective. (And then some. :devil: )

Jim Black wasn't a tall man, nor was John Blackley, but they were strong mobile defenders and footballers - and either would walk into the side today.

Roy Barry doesn't strike me as having been huge, either, and Yogi himself isn't an exceptionally tall man - there were a lot of players taller than him when he played for us, but IIRC he managed OK. Franck Sauzee is another example, as was Gary Smith. These men were all good defenders for us over the years.

I'd rather have a footballer than a big stopper - one of my reservations about Jones is that while he was a stalwart when our backs were to the wall, his distribution and positioning weren't (shall we say) quite of the best. And he consistently held too deep a line, IMO. I got sick to the back teeth of us defending in our six-yard box and around the penalty spot, and that, IMO was in large part down to Jones.

Actually, I won't be surprised if Barr does arrive at ER sooner rather than later. (Won't the Yams be pleased for us - cue long threads on Keechback explaining that they really didn't want him at all, he's really rubbish, he wouldn't fit in with Shabby's cunning defensive plans, he's just a Hobo peg-selling junkie freak anyway....) And if he does, I'd expect him to play at left centre-half beside Chris Hogg.

I would rather have a defender with good positioning and altheticism that snuffed out attacks before they reached our box and quickly turns them around to the midfield to push forward than a 6'5 clogger who defends in the 6 yard box forcing the rest of our defence to sit deep and invite the opposition onto us waiting for the high ball or cross that he will be able to clear back to the halfway line (probably to an opposition player for it all to start again)

--------
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I would rather have a defender with good positioning and altheticism that snuffed out attacks before they reached our box and quickly turns them around to the midfield to push forward than a 6'5 clogger who defends in the 6 yard box forcing the rest of our defence to sit deep and invite the opposition onto us waiting for the high ball or cross that he will be able to clear back to the halfway line (probably to an opposition player for it all to start again)

:agree:

Which was EXACTLY the position we seemed to be occupying for most of last season.

Just Jimmy
10-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Good post. I'd rather have Barr and Hogg with Sol in front of them, than Hogg and Bamba with Cregg of McBride in front.

I think 4,5,1 is the way to go, however for that we need a wide right player and a 'number 9'. I still would like a right back, but would be willing to wait even till next summer.

I'd like to address left back, but accept that murray can play there until next summer. We have more pressing needs, I also don't think teams get proper deals in the January window, so unless we get lucky left back next summer.

Id go;

Keeper,
Right Back or Van Zanten, Barr, Hogg, Murray

Sol Bamba / McBride.

Zemmama, McBride/Cregg

New Right Winger Riordan/Galbraith

My fabled number 9 :greengrin

This would allow JJ, Nish et al to slip in when needed without carrying the burden of being first picks.

erskine-hibby
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Chico, Harpo and Groucho :greengrin

MyJo
10-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Good post. I'd rather have Barr and Hogg with Sol in front of them, than Hogg and Bamba with Cregg of McBride in front.

I think 4,5,1 is the way to go, however for that we need a wide right player and a 'number 9'. I still would like a right back, but would be willing to wait even till next summer.

I'd like to address left back, but accept that murray can play there until next summer. We have more pressing needs, I also don't think teams get proper deals in the January window, so unless we get lucky left back next summer.

Id go;

Keeper,

Sol Bamba / McBride.

Zemmama, McBride/Cregg

This would allow JJ, Nish et al to slip in when needed without carrying the burden of being first picks.

:top marks: Totally agree with everything in your post except the part about left back as I think that Hanlon will prove to be an excellent player at left back in the coming seasons and we have adequate cover with Murray and Stevenson able to play there as well.........although I'd like to see how Murray would do at RB before we go signing anyone else for the position

--------
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Id go;

Keeper,

Sol Bamba / McBride.

Zemmama, McBride/Cregg

I'm quite happy with McBride - he seems to be the sort of fetcher-and-carrier we've lacked in midfield since the days of Brian Hamilton and Stu Lovell. (I know not everyone reckons those guys, but they did a lot of grunt-work that released others to do the fancy stuff. Truly.) Bamba's more the closer-down-and-tackler type; no bad thing to have them both, though - gives us options, as they say.

I agree with wee_mad_mental_hibby - the striker we need is a number 9 - an O'Connor, a Killen or a Mixu who will lead the line, rather than another Riordan or Johansson. All our strikers - perhaps with the very possible exception of Colin Nish - are the sort of player who tend to play off the centre-forward. We need a centre-forward to lead the line, IMO.

Another lad to bear in mind is David Wotherspoon - he sounds as if he's fairly impatient to make his mark. I get the impression he doesn't want to hang around too long - he sees a first-team place as his THIS SEASON. So in him and Kurtis we have 2 young players who really intend to make the seniors work for their places, and that can only be good. I wouldn't be too surprised if those two were close to being regulars by the end of the season. So DW should be an asset in the midfield, too, along with Danny Galbraith. Wingers, anyone?

And MyJo's right - this should be the year we see Paul Hanlon stepping up to the mark. We can't tell how well Kevin McCann will do either, once he's back to full fitness. A wee bit of concentrated speed-work? Who knows?

VegasHibby
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Bloody hope so. Just read that Craig Rocastle is on trial at Aberdeen . He would've been a good addition to Hibs.

Speedway
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Bloody hope so. Just read that Craig Rocastle is on trial at Aberdeen . He would've been a good addition to Hibs.

Why would he have been a good addition?

--------
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

"A la recherche du temps perdu..."

Living in the past. :rolleyes:

Billychaotic182
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Am gettin to a stage where i dont care who we sign as long as they bring something new to the table.

We have good players at center half and like ppl are sayin Barr is just another hogg.

I would like another FAST winger to play on the right, and i Right back. Thats where i think we need new players.

However I am a fan of Boozy, Stokes and Barr so i would like to see them at my club

Seany HFC 7-0
10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

First he wouldnt get in the way of them because he has experience and would help develop them if anything!
I would put Murry and Bamba in midfield and have Barr partner Hogg.

Stokes was first class at Falkirk scoring rakes of goals. Ok his record isnt good in England but what the heck does that matter if hes playing with us in Scotland where he done the business with Falkirk week in week out!?! Id leave JJ out for Stokes any day. Benji can GTF cause i dont want anyone at the club who doesnt want to play for the jersey. He clearly doesnt.
Byrne aye fair enough but hes a young lad that needs time wont fire on all cylinders first season. Again think he would help from Stokes being there!

shamo9
10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
We could move Bamba to right back; turning McCann into a centre back to fill the gap might work as well:faf:

--------
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
We could move Bamba to right back; turning McCann into a centre back to fill the gap might work as well:faf:

Behave yourself. :wink:

Sol on the left, Chris on the right, and Kevin and Lewis the centre-backs.

Simples!

VegasHibby
10-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Would add some more bite in midfield. Thought he played well under TM and with Yogi's style of play may work for us. We already have 6 doubtful for starting Saturday including Zouma out for 6 weeks(?). No harm having experienced players in squad.......

lyonhibs
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
:dizzy:

2005,2006,2007, and 2008 called. They want their repetitive, unimaginative transfer rumour back.

YehButNoBut
10-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Would add some more bite in midfield. Thought he played well under TM and with Yogi's style of play may work for us. We already have 6 doubtful for starting Saturday including Zouma out for 6 weeks(?). No harm having experienced players in squad.......

Hughes has hopes he will be fit for this weekend. :pray:

http://sport.scotsman.com/spl/-Hughes-sweating-over-Hibs.5538399.jp

VegasHibby
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
:dizzy:

2005,2006,2007, and 2008 called. They want their repetitive, unimaginative transfer rumour back.

yeah yeah yeah got the point. I was bored since there are no other transfers rumours out there. What's that old saying " necessity is the mother of invention" ?..........

ancient hibee
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Don't understand this demand for a striker.What is needed is a midfielder who can open up defences.What we are seeing now is exactly what Falkirk suffered from-passing the ball around the midfield for what seems like minutes on end without ever putting it where it matters.By the time the ball does arrive defences are well set up and ready.Look at Rooney's goal yesterday-quick ball through a turning defence-back of the net.

500miles
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Don't understand this demand for a striker.What is needed is a midfielder who can open up defences.What we are seeing now is exactly what Falkirk suffered from-passing the ball around the midfield for what seems like minutes on end without ever putting it where it matters.By the time the ball does arrive defences are well set up and ready.Look at Rooney's goal yesterday-quick ball through a turning defence-back of the net.

We have Zemmama, Galbraith and Wotherspoon. The last two are nineteen, and need to make thier mark this season or they could end up going down the Ross Campbell route.

ancient hibee
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
We have Zemmama, Galbraith and Wotherspoon. The last two are nineteen, and need to make thier mark this season or they could end up going down the Ross Campbell route.
None of them fit the bill in my opinion.

Cocaine&Caviar
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
None of them fit the bill in my opinion.

Zemmama really?

ballengeich
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM

I'd rather have a footballer than a big stopper -

As we're all reassured in magazines - size isn't everything. I recall a game when Gretna visited us and Kenny Deuchar created havoc on a day when Rob Jones was missing. What we lack following the departure of Jones is a central defender who'll deter arial attack. Deuchar is now with St Johnstone. If we see them off easily then I'll accept that we don't need a large central defender as Rob's replacement.

MontrealHibs
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
As we're all reassured in magazines - size isn't everything. I recall a game when Gretna visited us and Kenny Deuchar created havoc on a day when Rob Jones was missing. What we lack following the departure of Jones is a central defender who'll deter arial attack. Deuchar is now with St Johnstone. If we see them off easily then I'll accept that we don't need a large central defender as Rob's replacement.

Well we will be well covered with Big Sol, should the rumoured move for Darren Dods be true.

ballengeich
10-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Well we will be well covered with Big Sol, should the rumoured move for Darren Dods be true.

Given Bamba's erratic moments, Dods might not be a daft signing.

Nothing against Bamba - he's been immense just in front of the defence.

--------
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM

I'm not talking about playing Zouma or John Rankin at centre-half. We should be looking for a competent centre-back, of course.

But there are other ways of 'deterring aerial attack' than playing a giant to man-mark the opposition's main striker. Cut off the supply to him for a start. Keep the hems on the wingers and prevent the crosses coming in. Keep possession, and when we lose it, close 'em down and get it back asap.

I don't accept, however, that we necessarily lack a tall defender capable of doing that job - we played 2 EPL teams last week who by all accounts were pretty massive from goalkeeper to left-winger - and didn't lose a goal. Sol Bamba seemed to settle into a more than decent game at Blackburn and continued in the same vein at Bolton. And he was up against some seriously big attackers, from what was posted on here. Bigger and possibly better than Deuchar?

There was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that last season Jones was the man to win the ball in the air. Since he was 6'7" tall, it'd have been a disgrace if he hadn't been. But as i've already said, his positioning, his distribution, his mobility and his organising of the rest of the defence left something (a lot, actually) to be desired.

Maybe someone 6'1" or 6'2" who can pass the ball playing in a system that provides midfield players to pass to might be a better option than the 'backs-to-the-wall-then-hoof-it-up-the-park-and-hope-Deek-manages-to-get-on-the-end-of-it' tactic that seemed to be the only thing we knew last season....

Someone a bit more mobile than a telephone box would be good. :rolleyes:

VegasHibby
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Most importantly what's needed are strikers who are always looking for the space to run into. Watch Man U, Arsenal,Chelsea,Barcelona etc the midfield is able to make the killer pass because the strikers are running into that position.
It's not so much the midfield opening up the defences it's the strikers opening up the defences............

ballengeich
10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
But there are other ways of 'deterring aerial attack' than playing a giant to man-mark the opposition's main striker. Cut off the supply to him for a start. Keep the hems on the wingers and prevent the crosses coming in. Keep possession, and when we lose it, close 'em down and get it back asap.

I don't accept, however, that we necessarily lack a tall defender capable of doing that job - we played 2 EPL teams last week who by all accounts were pretty massive from goalkeeper to left-winger - and didn't lose a goal. Sol Bamba seemed to settle into a more than decent game at Blackburn and continued in the same vein at Bolton. And he was up against some seriously big attackers, from what was posted on here. Bigger and possibly better than Deuchar?

Someone a bit more mobile than a telephone box would be good. :rolleyes:

Decent points Doddie. However, most good teams have a technically limited player who can be relied on to deal with attacks in the air, as some will get through regardless of the prowess of other defenders. Bamba can probably do that, but we would then lose his ability to cut out central attacks in front of our defence. We'd also have to deal with his tendency to lose possession in positions that are more dangerous than if he'd hoofed the ball into touch.

I'll accept that Jones had limitations after he won the ball, but we don't have and probably can't currently buy a Blackley or Sauzee.

--------
10-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Decent points Doddie. However, most good teams have a technically limited player who can be relied on to deal with attacks in the air, as some will get through regardless of the prowess of other defenders. Bamba can probably do that, but we would then lose his ability to cut out central attacks in front of our defence. We'd also have to deal with his tendency to lose possession in positions that are more dangerous than if he'd hoofed the ball into touch.

I'll accept that Jones had limitations after he won the ball, but we don't have and probably can't currently buy a Blackley or Sauzee.

Would that we did and could, old mate.

What we COULD do with is a younger version of Yogi, I think. Not a bad footballer all told, a good leader on the field, and totally and unscrupulously ruthless in his treatment of the opposition centre-forward.

We SHOULD be able to get one of those, if there is such a thing still in the SPL.

And please don't say Darren Dods - I mentioned him as a joke earlier on today, and I see he's now on the Official Hibernian Rumours List. :rolleyes:

HibeeUnderwood
11-08-2009, 08:19 AM
No doubt, I will be thrilled if Boozy, Barr and Stokes all come to Hibs, although the three of them coming at this stage seems unlikely. Hopefully at least one of them will come :agree:

Aldo
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Stokes and Boozy just now and Barr for £100,000 in the January transfer window.

Deano Mourinho
11-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Would that we did and could, old mate.

What we COULD do with is a younger version of Yogi, I think. Not a bad footballer all told, a good leader on the field, and totally and unscrupulously ruthless in his treatment of the opposition centre-forward.

We SHOULD be able to get one of those, if there is such a thing still in the SPL.

And please don't say Darren Dods - I mentioned him as a joke earlier on today, and I see he's now on the Official Hibernian Rumours List. :rolleyes:

Where can you find the offical Hibernian rumours list ?:confused:

joe t
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2125125]I'm quite happy with McBride - he seems to be the sort of fetcher-and-carrier we've lacked in midfield since the days of Brian Hamilton and Stu Lovell. (I know not everyone reckons those guys, but they did a lot of grunt-work that released others to do the fancy stuff. Truly.) Bamba's more the closer-down-and-tackler type; no bad thing to have them both, though - gives us options, as they say.

Aaah I see! What you're saying is that in pre-season McBride has been seen doing the unseen work as opposed to the previously unseen unseen work of Brian Kerr. Fingers crossed this continues into the new season.

However, this remains to be seen.:duck:

McIntosh
11-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Thought I read on here about two players comming on loan from Arsenal.

No update in relation to above but stokes all but dead in the water however you can never tell with these things.

The impression I get and I must emphasise this is second hand information is that the management team know the problem areas but are working within very restricted financial circumstances.

MyJo
11-08-2009, 12:05 PM
The impression I get and I must emphasise this is second hand information is that the management team know the problem areas but are working within very restricted financial circumstances.

:hilarious: what a scoop..............:Ummm:

RickyS
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Am gettin to a stage where i dont care who we sign as long as they bring something new to the table.

We have good players at center half and like ppl are sayin Barr is just another hogg.

I would like another FAST winger to play on the right, and i Right back. Thats where i think we need new players.

However I am a fan of Boozy, Stokes and Barr so i would like to see them at my club

McGhee is on record as saying he needs to sell before he can bring in and by all accounts are toiling financially, 3-400,000 would get Zander Diamond I think. he lives in Glezga and might prefer being back in the central belt. we would defo weaken aberdeen at the same time.

McIntosh
11-08-2009, 01:31 PM
:hilarious: what a scoop..............:Ummm:

Agreed, there is no shock there but as I live here in England what is surprising is that there are non-league clubs here with more financial resources at their immediate disposal than Hibs.

The nearest Premiership club to my home is Chelsea whilst there can be no comparison in terms of financial operation, when we are struggling to attract what in essence are youth players from this type of club it exposes the sorry state of affairs which exists not merely at Hibs but in Scottish football.

Sadly, long gone are the days that we attract a Steve Archibald to this club.

ian cruise
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
McGhee is on record as saying he needs to sell before he can bring in and by all accounts are toiling financially, 3-400,000 would get Zander Diamond I think. he lives in Glezga and might prefer being back in the central belt. we would defo weaken aberdeen at the same time.

aberdeen need to sell but they arent in quite the same position as clubs like portsmouth. i reckon theyd want £1mil for diamond. im fairly sure he has a wee while to go on his contract as well.

nice ambitious target but maybe a bit out of our grasp im afraid. though i'm sure hamilton will bid their token 100k for him.

--------
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2125125]I'm quite happy with McBride - he seems to be the sort of fetcher-and-carrier we've lacked in midfield since the days of Brian Hamilton and Stu Lovell. (I know not everyone reckons those guys, but they did a lot of grunt-work that released others to do the fancy stuff. Truly.) Bamba's more the closer-down-and-tackler type; no bad thing to have them both, though - gives us options, as they say.

Aaah I see! What you're saying is that in pre-season McBride has been seen doing the unseen work as opposed to the previously unseen unseen work of Brian Kerr. Fingers crossed this continues into the new season.

However, this remains to be seen.:duck:

You're making my head hurt.....

If a footballer makes a pass or a tackle and no one sees him, is he Brain Kerr?

No. Because Brian Kerr was SEEN making NO passes or tackles. That's not UNSEEN WORK - that's SEEN NON-WORK.

Until I've actually SEEN Kevin McBride for myself, I can't say for sure whether he does SEEN NON-WORK or UNSEEN WORK.

(From most reports, it appears to Be SEEN NON-WORK that KM does.)

And when I DO, it won't be UNSEEN work any longer, because I'll have SEEN him DOING IT.

Right? :cool2:

Billychaotic182
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM

I would take Diamond at hibs. Just think the Dons will want about 1 mil for him

I trust Yogi and i think that he will bring in the right player..... Just think it wont be till jan.

ancient hibee
11-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Zemmama really?

The hopes being pinned on this guy are totally over the top-yet to see him play for 90 minutes.