PDA

View Full Version : Well done Maka

crash
08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Successive clean sheets at premier grounds, not many SPL clubs can lay claim to this. For the first time he looks like a confident goalkeeper. Incidentally Yam Marshall is taking us to a tribunal for unfair dismissal:faf:

Frazerbob
08-08-2009, 07:57 PM
:agree: Maka was outstanding in both games.

shamo9
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I think both Bamba and Maka are two of the best we have currently on the books. Unfortunately they are prone to the odd gaff. I seem to remember Maka dropping the ball at a corner today. I don't want to get on his back, but all it takes is one mistake to ruin 90 minutes of good play.

That's the curse of the goalkeeper.

Hibs Spain
08-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I think both Bamba and Maka are two of the best we have currently on the books. Unfortunately they are prone to the odd gaff. I seem to remember Maka dropping the ball at a corner today. I don't want to get on his back, but all it takes is one mistake to ruin 90 minutes of good play.

That's the curse of the goalkeeper.Well .. Dropping a ball at a corner? ONCE? How many goalies in the top four teams of every division of every league in the world would be castigated for doing that??

sleeping giant
08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I've only seen him on the tellybox so far this season and he looked braw:agree:

I hope Calumbye keeps his new name:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Well .. Dropping a ball at a corner? ONCE? How many goalies in the top four teams of every division of every league in the world would be castigated for doing that??

Is this really you sticking up for calumbye?:greengrin
Or have i got you mixed up with another poster ?

Edit : Twas McNeil that you hated with a vengance :greengrin:

Hibs Spain
08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Is this really you sticking up for calumbye?:greengrin
Or have i got you mixed up with another poster ?

Edit : Twas McNeil that you hated with a vengance :greengrin:Moi? Sticking up for the best goalie around? And you're right I hated McNeil with a vengance+ :hnet:

AFKA5814_Hibs
08-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Looked good enough today, didn't see the Blackburn match but I believe he had a really good game on Wednesday. Two clean sheets away to EPL opponents, cannae complain about that. :agree:

More than happy to continue with him as no.1 and have Stack as back up. Having read the comments about Stack, I don't think he wants to come here just to sit on the bench, should keep Maka on his toes.

mikethehibee69
08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Successive clean sheets at premier grounds, not many SPL clubs can lay claim to this. For the first time he looks like a confident goalkeeper. Incidentally Yam Marshall is taking us to a tribunal for unfair dismissal:faf:
well done maka, keep up the good work, tribunal aye right unfair dismissal my ho..!!!!!!!!!!, trading standards should be quizzing him on his blatant con of posing as a goalkeeping coach:grr::faf:

shamo9
09-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Well .. Dropping a ball at a corner? ONCE? How many goalies in the top four teams of every division of every league in the world would be castigated for doing that??

IF it costs their team a goal then they will, which could have easily happened. It only needs to happen ONCE to cost us a goal. Closest example being the last game of last season. Maka played well and saved a penalty, yet he won't be remembered for that. I like Maka, but I don't think he has the composure and focus to play week in, week out - yet.

He's got time on his side.

Beefster
09-08-2009, 04:13 AM
As much as I liked Jones, it has always appeared that Maka plays better without him. Less confusion about who is going for the ball.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-08-2009, 07:44 AM
As much as I liked Jones, it has always appeared that Maka plays better without him. Less confusion about who is going for the ball.

Noticed that myself quite a few times, including one occasion yesterday where big Maka powered through a host of bodies and punched the ball away to safety from around 15 yards out.

That would never have happened had big Jonesy been there.

--------
09-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Yup.

That, and Jones' bad habit of dropping deeper and deeper so that the whole back line ended up playing on the 6-yard line.

Jones is a good 'backs-to-the-wall' centre-half, but his positional sense is poor - which is why IMO our backs were to the wall so often last year.

That, and the invisible midfield that Mixu played.

J-C
09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Thought the big guy did really well, came for a lot more balls and commanded his area well, wonder if this is due to Jones not being there any more?
Made one fumble when he came for a cross but managed to recover it, big and brave when needed, all in all 8/10.:thumbsup:

Mikeystewart
09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Moi? Sticking up for the best goalie around? And you're right I hated McNeil with a vengance+ :hnet:

"Hate" is a strong word .

--------
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
"Hate" is a strong word .

So is 'vengeance'.

Andy wasn't anything like my idea of a top-league keeper but 'hate with a vengeance' is way OTT.

Expecting Rain
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Makalamby has done well in the last two games which is good news for Hibs and the supporters, i`ll judge him in the real games, a lack of concentration is his biggest problem, there`s no doubt he can stop the shots, good luck to him anyhow.

Hibs90
09-08-2009, 12:22 PM
His deal runs out at the end of this season does it not?

Get Maka on a new contract NOW. This season will be the year of the Maka and I urge Hibs to snap him up.

--------
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
His deal runs out at the end of this season does it not?

Get Maka on a new contract NOW. This season will be the year of the Maka and I urge Hibs to snap him up.

Why on earth should he re-sign for a team where he gets such abuse regardless of how he plays? :cool2:

Jamesie
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
well done maka, keep up the good work, tribunal aye right unfair dismissal my ho..!!!!!!!!!!, trading standards should be quizzing him on his blatant con of posing as a goalkeeping coach:grr::faf:

Just as well we've got an employment lawyer on the board then! :wink::thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Why on earth should he re-sign for a team where he gets such abuse regardless of how he plays? :cool2:

'Cos noone else wants him? :dunno:

:greengrin

burleynomore
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I thought his best games last season were when Jones was out. He seemed to be unsure when to come for the ball when he was in the team. Remember at the PBS he came fror everything.

col02
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM

If Maka is out of contract at the end of this season you will see that he ends up at a decent European side imho. Far better than a lot of people give him credit for and now he might finally be stretched as he should have been at Hibs by the new goalie coach.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
If Maka is out of contract at the end of this season you will see that he ends up at a decent European side imho. Far better than a lot of people give him credit for and now he might finally be stretched as he should have been at Hibs by the new goalie coach.

Does "decent" mean better than us?

Just Jimmy
09-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Does "decent" mean better than us?

I think the context it was in, i.e; "decent European side" suggest yes.

Given that we are;

A) not playing in Europe
B) Certainly not a decent side at that level yet.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I think the context it was in, i.e; "decent European side" suggest yes.

Given that we are;

A) not playing in Europe
B) Certainly not a decent side at that level yet.

Cheers - I just wanted to make sure because we are;

A) european
B) a side

I've seen so many folk make bold statements in the past that they can then sneak out of by spinning the words they used.

col02
09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Cheers - I just wanted to make sure because we are;

A) european
B) a side

I've seen so many folk make bold statements in the past that they can then sneak out of by spinning the words they used.

Are we a decent side in the context of European club football? I would say not given the infrequent nature of our involvement in the respective European competitions for club sides. Maka is much less revered by some than the likes of Shiels or Jones but i would wager he will end up playing for slightly more higher profile clubs in his career than Doncaster or Scunthorpe. The fact he was a John Collins signing does not sit well with some people no matter how well he does as it does not fit into their agenda to make out that period was a complete failure. Hence the lack of praise for a young keeper when he does well but a large volume of criticism when he makes the odd error.

--------
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Oddly, the Belgian international side seems to want him every time they play.....

Completely agree. He'll have a number of coaches interested when his contract here finishes. He's currently Belgian number 2, and as you say, much better than many here give him credit for.

Working with Scott Thomson will help him a lot, I'm sure, and having competition from Graham Stack will be good for him too.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Are we a decent side in the context of European club football? I would say not given the infrequent nature of our involvement in the respective European competitions for club sides. Maka is much less revered by some than the likes of Shiels or Jones but i would wager he will end up playing for slightly more higher profile clubs in his career than Doncaster or Scunthorpe. The fact he was a John Collins signing does not sit well with some people no matter how well he does as it does not fit into their agenda to make out that period was a complete failure. Hence the lack of praise for a young keeper when he does well but a large volume of criticism when he makes the odd error.

Not me mate - I've been on threads arguing that JC wasn't all bad. It's just that I've given Maka so many chances that I've lost count. His problem is that he has 2 good games then chucks in a howler. He can't help himself.

I'd go as far as to say that after 2 clean sheets in the last 2 games I'd drop him for Saturday. We know a mistake's coming it's just when it's going to happen.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Oddly, the Belgian international side seems to want him every time they play.....

But would they want him if they weren't only limited to picking Belgians?

--------
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
But would they want him if they weren't only limited to picking Belgians?

It means they rate him more highly than all but one or two of the Belgian league keepers....

And the Belgian League (last time I looked) was a fair bit stronger than the SPL.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 01:28 PM
It means they rate him more highly than all but one or two of the Belgian league keepers....

And the Belgian League (last time I looked) was a fair bit stronger than the SPL.

Must have been before they released the latest rankings then. For both the national sides and club leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient).

Can you name another Belgian keeper?

--------
09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Must have been before they released the latest rankings then. For both the national sides and club leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient).

Can you name another Belgian keeper?

Well, Stijnen, Proto and Renard all play in the Belgian League. Heerenveen have Vandenbussche and Borussia Monchengladbach have Bailly on their books, but of course you can look them all up for yourself on any decent football website.

I'm sure you also remember Michel Preud'homme from a few years back - pretty good keeper, IIRC.

The list of rankings you quote is pre-Euro 2008, and (quote) therefore very innaccurate (unquote) according to the site you've linked to.

However, perhaps it would be more telling to ask whether you'd give Hibernian (6th in the SPL) much chance of beating a similarly placed and sized Belgian side in a European tie? Club Brugge, Mechelen, Beerschot? Since we've had considerable trouble with teams from the Baltic and from Denmark in recent years, I'd doubt it.

The main point is, however, that Maka IS a goalkeeper who figures in his country's international planning (he'll be away this week for a friendly, in fact), so it's fairly clear to me that your suggestion that 'nobody else wants him' just isn't true.

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, Stijnen, Proto and Renard all play in the Belgian League. Heerenveen have Vandenbussche and Borussia Monchengladbach have Bailly on their books, but of course you can look them all up for yourself on any decent football website.

I'm sure you also remember Michel Preud'homme from a few years back - pretty good keeper, IIRC.

The list of rankings you quote is pre-Euro 2008, and (quote) therefore very innaccurate (unquote) according to the site you've linked to.

However, perhaps it would be more telling to ask whether you'd give Hibernian (6th in the SPL) much chance of beating a similarly placed and sized Belgian side in a European tie? Club Brugge, Mechelen, Beerschot? Since we've had considerable trouble with teams from the Baltic and from Denmark in recent years, I'd doubt it.

The main point is, however, that Maka IS a goalkeeper who figures in his country's international planning (he'll be away this week for a friendly, in fact), so it's fairly clear to me that your suggestion that 'nobody else wants him' just isn't true.

The club co-efficient table is accurate as at end of May this year. So based on the co-efficeint's I see no reason why we couldn't give Gent (the team that finished 6th last season) a decent game. then again I'd have expected Aberdeen to have given that Czech team a better game than they did last week. I'm a bit unclear as to how this is relevant to Maka being a good keeper though.

And as for the "noone wants him point" - has any club been linked with him? National sides can't really be counted as they rely on the nationality of the player - look at Scotland - in the past we've capped Scott Dobie but I'd have much preferred someone else.

--------
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
The club co-efficient table is accurate as at end of May this year. So based on the co-efficeint's I see no reason why we couldn't give Gent (the team that finished 6th last season) a decent game. then again I'd have expected Aberdeen to have given that Czech team a better game than they did last week. I'm a bit unclear as to how this is relevant to Maka being a good keeper though.

And as for the "noone wants him point" - has any club been linked with him? National sides can't really be counted as they rely on the nationality of the player - look at Scotland - in the past we've capped Scott Dobie but I'd have much preferred someone else.

Nobody's been linked with him, but if he IS out of contract at the end of the season, I'd be surprised if he doesn't find clubs interested in offering him terms.

Regarding the rankings, I've sometimes wondered just how far down the list Scotland would drop if the national team wasn't 'boosted' by players from the EPL and English Championship. And if the effects of the OF's European results weren't so disproportionate to the almost total ineffectiveness of the other teams....

But we'll just have to wait and see who plays (and what happens) next Saturday, then. :devil:

Danderhall Hibs
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
But we'll just have to wait and see who plays (and what happens) next Saturday, then. :devil:

I expect Maka to play - unfortunately Stack's not had a chance in pre-season. The problem I have with Maka is that he can't string anymore than 2 or 3 good games together without looking prone to a clanger.

I'd love Maka to turn into the superstar many think he is/will be. I just can't see it. TBH I lost my patience with him in January - about the same time I decided Mixu had to go.

--------
09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I expect Maka to play - unfortunately Stack's not had a chance in pre-season. The problem I have with Maka is that he can't string anymore than 2 or 3 good games together without looking prone to a clanger.

I'd love Maka to turn into the superstar many think he is/will be. I just can't see it. TBH I lost my patience with him in January - about the same time I decided Mixu had to go.

We'll see. I like the idea of him metamorphosing into a Scot by the name of McCallum Bay - makes him sound like a single malt?

sauzee_4
09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Played very well yesterday, was impressed. I do think the mistakes are an issue though. The main argument thrown at you in response is that "every keeper makes mistakes" but the top ones don't make them every few weeks.

Makalamby took a goal kick yesterday and kicked it into the stand, half-way inside our half. It's silly wee mistakes like that he needs to cut out. He did well though and is slowly changing my opinion on him

blackpoolhibs
09-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Callum has been superb in the last 2 friendlies. Perhaps there may be something in jones not playing in front of him?

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Yup.

That, and Jones' bad habit of dropping deeper and deeper so that the whole back line ended up playing on the 6-yard line.

Jones is a good 'backs-to-the-wall' centre-half, but his positional sense is poor - which is why IMO our backs were to the wall so often last year.

That, and the invisible midfield that Mixu played.

Apos for going over the same obsession you and I have shared, Doddie, but it is true that Jones, love him as I do, defended deeply and had poor communication with the keeper.

I believe that to play the Yogi/Mowbray/Hibs heritage expanisve game, we need a ball-playing centre-half and two rampaging full-backs. Sadly, RJ, great 'backs-to-the-wall" centre half hat he is, simply didn't fit the bill.

--------
09-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Apos for going over the same obsession you and I have shared, Doddie, but it is true that Jones, love him as I do, defended deeply and had poor communication with the keeper.

I believe that to play the Yogi/Mowbray/Hibs heritage expanisve game, we need a ball-playing centre-half and two rampaging full-backs. Sadly, RJ, great 'backs-to-the-wall" centre half hat he is, simply didn't fit the bill.

:agree:

I'm more concerned that we sign someone who can play a bit of football than just look for another big stopper.

So where do we find a matching pair of rampaging full-backs, then, Bob? :cool2: