View Full Version : Scunthorpe

Borders Hibby
08-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Poor start for Jones, any sympathy?

--------
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Was he playing?

Put it this way - Scunthorpe's result isn't the first one I look for on CEEFAX when i come in on a saturday evening.....

Borders Hibby
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Put it this way - Scunthorpe's result isn't the first one I look for on CEEFAX when i come in on a saturday evening.....[/QUOTE]

Yep, they got beat 4 0 at Cardiff.

MSK
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Poor start for Jones, any sympathy?Aw gie the guy a break ffs ....

basehibby
08-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Not exactly sympathy but I wish him well. This will be the first of many humpings for Scunthorpe though - they're a diddy team in a big league and they'll find it very hard to stay up IMO

I think Jones will be a key player for them though and if they do survive they'll have much to thank him for. :agree:

Beefster
08-08-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't feel sympathy but I'm definitely not going to start acting like a bitter ex-boyfriend about him.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't wish to open up a can of worms but, whilst I realise we need a centre defender, I thought big Bamba was brilliant at the back today. A couple of Cruijff turns thrown in for good measure. Impeccable.

Spike Mandela
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Not quite as bad as AOB's debut for Swindon Town. Humped 5-0 by Gillingham. Ho Hum....

heretoday
08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
i keep telling you. When they leave ER they become non persons!

ceecee
08-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Don't wish to open up a can of worms but, whilst I realise we need a centre defender, I thought big Bamba was brilliant at the back today. A couple of Cruijff turns thrown in for good measure. Impeccable.

Exactly. There is more to defending that being able to power a header 30 yards down the pitch straight back to the opposition.

Jones couldnae pass water. Was about as mobile as my granny. But he will do well at industrious Scunthorpe. Fit in perfectly.

Still...he did put us on the way to the 5-1 cup final win.

HibeeUnderwood
08-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't like Scunthorpe so no sympathy from me

wish him all the best though for the rest of the season, not exactly the start he wanted!

Hibs Spain
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
i keep telling you. When they leave ER they become non persons!Hahahha.... Exactly my viewpoint :agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Nowt against him, but incredibly tough league this season for him, there are a lot of big clubs in the Championship. Reckon he'll be in League One next season. :agree:

Just Jimmy
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Captain of Hibernian, to play for a diddy nobody who can only pay him stupid money due to SKY.

Career or money....

I hope he gets pumped every week and hates it. Hibernian are the greatest club in the world and to swap that for Scunthorpe deserves contempt.

I'm not bitter, I've just go no time for money grabbing footballers anymore. Jones falls into that category for me.

nonshinyfinish
09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Why does the swear filter allow Scunthorpe but not f.eckless?

Hibby Kate
09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
No sympathy whatsoever, disnae play for the Hibees anymore so I'm no interested.

Big_D
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Captain of Hibernian, to play for a diddy nobody who can only pay him stupid money due to SKY.

Career or money....

I hope he gets pumped every week and hates it. Hibernian are the greatest club in the world and to swap that for Scunthorpe deserves contempt.

I'm not bitter, I've just go no time for money grabbing footballers anymore. Jones falls into that category for me.

How come you've got Newcastle stuff heavily on show ?
Were you not a Leeds fan a while back ?

RickyS
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM

saw the highlights, he was caught badly a couple of times

--------
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Just what I was about to say....

'Hibs the greatest team in the world' - except for Leeds, no, Newcastle, no... who's next?

--------
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
saw the highlights, he was caught badly a couple of times

He isn't as good as some folks are making out.... :agree:

Just Jimmy
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Just what I was about to say....

'Hibs the greatest team in the world' - except for Leeds, no, Newcastle, no... who's next?

D- Never hidden that Newcastle are my second team, but they are just that, second. Unless you want to question my Hibs credentials as well?

Doddie - You? Really? :stirrer:

Anyway original point stands, Jones swapped Hibs for Scunthorpe... Trash.

Big_D
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
D- Never hidden that Newcastle are my second team, but they are just that, second. Unless you want to question my Hibs credentials as well?

So you weren't the guy from Kennoway who had Leeds stuff of here at one time ?
If that's the case please accept my apologies

BEEJ
09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Career or money....

He did make clear that a big factor in his departure was a desire to move his family back to England. So not all about money.

[And he was (allegedly) given verbal promises by TM that his wages at Hibs would be reviewed suitably once he took on the mantle of Captain. However (also allegedly) this never happened.

So he probably felt he had stuck by the club for a decent period despite this (alleged) misunderstanding.]

--------
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Doddie - You? Really? :stirrer:

Anyway original point stands, Jones swapped Hibs for Scunthorpe... Trash.

Just that you SAY Hibs are tops - but you have all the Toon stuff for your avatar and sig?

Seems odd, is all..... :devil:

iwasthere1972
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Just that you SAY Hibs are tops - but you have all the Toon stuff for your avatar and sig?

and a polar bear wearing glasses is not. :faf:

Just Jimmy
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM

No, I have Sir Bobby Robson as my Avatar.

I take it you prefer the Zoo to Hibs?

--------
09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
and a polar bear wearing glasses is not. :faf:

So he's wearing his shades. So what? You want him to go snow-blind?

No, I have Sir Bobby Robson as my Avatar.

I take it you prefer the Zoo to Hibs?

Hey - mock ye not the bears, guys.

The bear is the noblest of animals and believed by many to possess mystical powers.

Horrible things happen to folks who mock the bears.

(....And the bear said, 'You don't really come here to hunt, do you?' :wink: )

Just Jimmy
09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
(....And the bear said, 'You don't really come here to hunt, do you?' :wink: )

:greengrin

--------
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
:greengrin

If you don't believe me, ask Sarah Palin.... :devil:

nonshinyfinish
09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Nevermind all this ursine nonsense, my question remains bafflingly unanswered:

Why does the swear filter allow Scunthorpe but not f.eckless?

Admin! Admin! :dizzy:

--------
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Nevermind all this ursine nonsense, my question remains bafflingly unanswered:

Admin! Admin! :dizzy:

"Ursine nonsense"? :shocked:

Let not the bears hear you saying THAT, mate, or a plague of boils'll be about the best you can hope for.

Maybe the swearie-filter's programmed to let through the names of all the senior footie clubs in the UK....

I mean, it lets you post about Arsenal, doesn't it?

nonshinyfinish
09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
"Ursine nonsense"? :shocked:

Let not the bears hear you saying THAT, mate, or a plague of boils'll be about the best you can hope for.

Maybe the swearie-filter's programmed to let through the names of all the senior footie clubs in the UK....

I mean, it lets you post about Arsenal, doesn't it?

Well, I was half-expecting our capricious censor to object to ursine...

ScottB
09-08-2009, 04:08 PM

Career or money....

Sorry what?

For a start, the guy came to the game late, I have no problem with him wanting to maximise his earnings for his family, considering he was hardly rolling in it with us.

Leaving Hibs does not make a player a money grabber by default, the guy often spoke of a desire to return to England eventually, just as David Murphy did, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Otherwise should every player be expected to stay at their one club forever more?

Bit of perspective required, it's not like he was bleating to the papers about being poor and whoring himself to the Old Firm a la Kevin Thompson etc.

--------
09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, I was half-expecting our capricious censor to object to ursine...

He wouldn't dare. The guy in the shades may be well chilled out, but I don't think the big lad in my sig would be too chuffed.

Bears have strange and awesome powers - trust me. :devil:

RickyS
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
He isn't as good as some folks are making out.... :agree:

1st game of theirs ive seen and he looked out of his depth, I hope the big man does well tho, no hard feelings but got a feeling we will miss him badly this season.

Dashing Bob S
09-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I have my reservations about Jones but only in terms of how the team formation played.

The man is a Hibernian legend who led us to glorious silverware so get the falkirk of his back.

Part/Time Supporter
09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
TBF they are a newly promoted (and relatively small) club that were playing against a club that has got a more than decent chance of getting promoted this year. If they start losing 4-0 against Plymouth, Blackpool, etc then they have a big problem.

Jim Scotts hat trick
09-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Career or money....

Whatever jones is he is no moneygrabber, he has played for a few small clubs then hibs and probably this will be his best move money wise i dont see the problem.

NOLA
09-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Sorry what?

For a start, the guy came to the game late, I have no problem with him wanting to maximise his earnings for his family, considering he was hardly rolling in it with us.

Leaving Hibs does not make a player a money grabber by default, the guy often spoke of a desire to return to England eventually, just as David Murphy did, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Otherwise should every player be expected to stay at their one club forever more?

Bit of perspective required, it's not like he was bleating to the papers about being poor and whoring himself to the Old Firm a la Kevin Thompson etc.

:top marks

proud_and_green
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry what?

Agreed entirely.

It is interesting that, applying the same logic that a player must always be loyal to the club, regadless, this would mean that Hibs would never be able to release players from contracts and therefore that once a plaer was signed for Hibs he would then have a job for life.

ScottB
10-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Agreed entirely.

It is interesting that, applying the same logic that a player must always be loyal to the club, regadless, this would mean that Hibs would never be able to release players from contracts and therefore that once a plaer was signed for Hibs he would then have a job for life.

Pretty much.

While I / we love the club, I am under no illusion, nor expect our players to love the club. I expect them to respect it and recognise the responsibility of playing for it, I think, on the whole, Jones did just that, so I wish him well. He had no prior attachment to the club as a supporter (such as Murray and Riordan, who both scarpered for Glasgow, or KT and his begging bowl or any of the others crying tears for the Daily Ranger) so why should we expect anything more than we got from him?

heretoday
10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Pretty much.

While I / we love the club, I am under no illusion, nor expect our players to love the club. I expect them to respect it and recognise the responsibility of playing for it, I think, on the whole, Jones did just that, so I wish him well. He had no prior attachment to the club as a supporter (such as Murray and Riordan, who both scarpered for Glasgow, or KT and his begging bowl or any of the others crying tears for the Daily Ranger) so why should we expect anything more than we got from him?

Correct. Of course we don't expect the guys to have the same undying love for the club as we have. Even Murray and Riordan, as you mention, headed for the money. Mind you they are back, to their credit.

The only blot on Stanton's CV is that he went to Celtic latterly - not for money admittedly but he went none the less. He left us.

I think that in the same situation I would do the exact same thing. It is a job at the end of the day and if someone is prepared to pay you twice your wage for doing the same thing then you'd be mad not to go for it.

Jones was a great big hero for Hibs. He scored the opener against Killie in the final and obviously enjoyed playing for us.

Owain_1987
10-08-2009, 02:11 AM

Am a Cardiff fan also so can tell you did not care how Jones did feel :greengrin He was not at fault for any goals but once again he does not seem to be able communicate with a keeper maybe it was not Maka's fault.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

rainman
10-08-2009, 03:24 AM

Career or money....

Jones had said for over a year that he wanted to move back down south for the sake of his family. He never stated a preference of where he wanted to go and gave 110% for us until the day he left.

A Hibs captain and one of the few who lifted a trophy whilst scoring in the final. Can't believe anybody would want anything other than good things for the guy. :confused:

Septimus
10-08-2009, 06:47 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Scunthorpe are Sir Ian Botham's team so he had a pretty miserable weekend. Od business this knighting people for running round throwing balls at each other.

Borders Hibby
10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Jones had said for over a year that he wanted to move back down south for the sake of his family. He never stated a preference of where he wanted to go and gave 110% for us until the day he left.

A Hibs captain and one of the few who lifted a trophy whilst scoring in the final. Can't believe anybody would want anything other than good things for the guy. :confused:

I agree, feel a bit sorry for him as it seems that it will be a long hard season.

basehibby
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Career or money....

A bit harsh - it's a career not a charity - Jones gave sterling service for Hibs and, nearing the end of his career as he is, he has earned his payrise with the mighty Scunthorpe :wink:

Sudds_1
10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
who cares....he no longer plays for Hibs, so a no interest person for me now. :agree:

heretoday
10-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Career or money....

Well despite my previous ramble I have to say you've got a point there.......

--------
10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Scunthorpe are Sir Ian Botham's team so he had a pretty miserable weekend. Od business this knighting people for running round throwing balls at each other.

Botham played for them - one game, I think. They've come on a fair bit since then.

Jones has moved on, and I don't really see why fokks feel the need to follow up on departed heroes, myself.

But there's a bit of vindictiveness here which I don't think is appropriate when one considers Jones's time with us, and a bit of snobbery about Scunthorpe that might just be a bitty misplaced?

I suspect most English football fans would look on Hibernian as 'diddy nobodies' - and we DON'T have the TV money to help us make our mark....

heretoday
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Botham played for them - one game, I think. They've come on a fair bit since then.

Jones has moved on, and I don't really see why fokks feel the need to follow up on departed heroes, myself.

But there's a bit of vindictiveness here which I don't think is appropriate when one considers Jones's time with us, and a bit of snobbery about Scunthorpe that might just be a bitty misplaced?

I suspect most English football fans would look on Hibernian as 'diddy nobodies' - and we DON'T have the TV money to help us make our mark....

Between '79 and '85 Ian Botham played 11 times for Scunthorpe in a defensive role. They were his only senior club.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Between '79 and '85 Ian Botham played 11 times for Scunthorpe in a defensive role. They were his only senior club.

I thank you, sir. Thought it was only the one game, and a gimmick at that.

It appears to have been a strong case of not giving up the day job....

Borders Hibby
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Will be interesting this season to watch ex Hbs players in the englsh lower leagues with the new BBC coverage.

--------
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Will be interesting this season to watch ex Hbs players in the englsh lower leagues with the new BBC coverage.

HMM. Not convinced that 'interesting' is an adjective you can apply to most games in the Championship....

Especially when winter comes and the heavy pitches.... :rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Poor start for Jones, any sympathy? None

heretoday
10-08-2009, 05:41 PM

He was a bit of a hacker if truth be told. A big man but slow on his feet.

ballengeich
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Where is Jones's wife from? If he met her when he was with Grimsby then I could understand his return to that area. If not, he could surely have signed for a better club. His team mates at Scunthorpe will be, in general, inferior footballers to those he had round him at Hibs.

MontrealHibs
10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
He was a bit of a hacker if truth be told. A big man but slow on his feet.

He was actually a striker rather than a defender. He played for Yeovil too.

--------
10-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Noticed Paul Hartley scored for Bristol City.

Checked out the very brief highlights of the Swindon game, but there diodn't appear to be anyone I knew playing for them on Saturday.

--------
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
He was actually a striker rather than a defender. He played for Yeovil too.

Did he score any goals at all?

Shouldn't be surprised, really - used to be that plenty of English footballers earned some extra cash playing County and league cricket in the summer.

Andy Goram was a very good cricketer.

heretoday
11-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Well Beefy didn't score for Scunthorpe.

I didn't know that he played for Yeovil.

That must have been before they elevated themselves to the big league.

Botham was a real cavalier type of guy. Magic.

Nothing can come close to his performance against the Aussies in 1981. He stood alone.

And of course big Bob steaming in.

Joe Baker II
11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I thank you, sir. Thought it was only the one game, and a gimmick at that.

It appears to have been a strong case of not giving up the day job....

He also played some reserve games, more significantly Botham was rated by Scunthorpe fans I have met.

--------
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Well Beefy didn't score for Scunthorpe.

I didn't know that he played for Yeovil.

That must have been before they elevated themselves to the big league.

Botham was a real cavalier type of guy. Magic.

Nothing can come close to his performance against the Aussies in 1981. He stood alone.

And of course big Bob steaming in.

Willis was in another universe that innings - awesome. :agree:

Beefy is a great man, IMO. I'm sorry for the infants who never saw him in his pomp.

He also played some reserve games, more significantly Botham was rated by Scunthorpe fans I have met.

That's interesting. I apologise to him, then - maybe I should have taken into account the fact that some people seem to think anything to do with Scunthorpe must be either a matter for humour or a reason for contempt.

IIRC the news coverage at the time was of the patronising-humorous variety - "Beefy plays for (s******) S****horpe (snork)".

zlatan
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Checked out the very brief highlights of the Swindon game, but there diodn't appear to be anyone I knew playing for them on Saturday.

Also seen Deano miss a sitter in the last minute for Doncaster on Saturday.

heretoday
11-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Did he? I hope he finds inner peace in Bristol. He could certainly do with it.