PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Warning to all fans on Buses

Baldy
07-08-2009, 01:20 PM
This is a warning to all fans on buses tomorrow .. (just recieved this from VOSA)

the police will be doing random spot checks and pulling coaches off the road at any point between Edinburgh and Bolton, as well as the usual Vehicle and tachograph checks we will be checking who is on board as well checking if anyone is carrying alcohol. Alchohol testing kits to check "juice" bottles will be readily available.

Passengers found to be in possesion of any alchohol will be arrested, further sanctions including fines for drivers, companies and organisers may be administered, with the possibility of the vehicles being prevented from continuing their journey.

Baldy
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I know this info has been passed directly to a number of companies

surreyhibbie
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
When I was getting a bus a few months ago, to go to Twickenham for the Scotland Rugby match, we were told we could take our drinks with us as the buses were, strictly speaking, "private hire", even though we paid 50p a head to get on.

So, is this no-alcohol rule just in Scotland, or was the info we got wrong?

actually, I was a bit hacked off, as I had just necked my pint in a hurry, could have taken my time...

Baldy
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
When I was getting a bus a few months ago, to go to Twickenham for the Scotland Rugby match, we were told we could take our drinks with us as the buses were, strictly speaking, "private hire", even though we paid 50p a head to get on.

So, is this no-alcohol rule just in Scotland, or was the info we got wrong?

I think you may have got the wrong info on that one.

surreyhibbie
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe the driver just fancied the girlies with us! :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
In my rugby playing days we never even thought about getting on the bus without a carry-out. This rule only seems to apply to football buses - pretty sure the Biggar area used to be a hot-spot for them catching buses with bevvy on them.

Baldy
07-08-2009, 02:29 PM
this is the legal legislation

VOSA website (http://http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/CONT106022.pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=sporting&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=4a7bbab655)

lyonhibs
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
DAMN!!! - My masterplan to turn up at 8am with 2 bottles of "Coke" has been foiled by those scoundrels!!!

Seriously, if the idea of being obliged to go without a drink between the hours of 8am-12 noon enrages you, you should probably try to sort yourself out. The banter and songs will be more than good enough for me - oh, and the improving literature I'll be bringing with me.

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
This is a warning to all fans on buses tomorrow .. (just recieved this from VOSA)

the police will be doing random spot checks and pulling coaches off the road at any point between Edinburgh and Bolton, as well as the usual Vehicle and tachograph checks we will be checking who is on board as well checking if anyone is carrying alcohol. Alchohol testing kits to check "juice" bottles will be readily available.

Passengers found to be in possesion of any alchohol will be arrested, further sanctions including fines for drivers, companies and organisers may be administered, with the possibility of the vehicles being prevented from continuing their journey.

Glad to see the police are in touch with the important issues in Britain today.

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Rule #9,152,956 on how to waste police resource. All for 2,000 football fans travelling to a charity football match.

Although I did read in the paper that the police had stated that they had information that the casuals were going to fight at X location. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but why would they tell people where they expect them to be or is it a double bluff?

Phil D. Rolls
07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Rule #9,152,956 on how to waste police resource. All for 2,000 football fans travelling to a charity football match.

Although I did read in the paper that the police had stated that they had information that the casuals were going to fight at X location. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but why would they tell people where they expect them to be or is it a double bluff?

Police intelligence is surely an oxymoron?

MacBean
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I was led to believe drinking in a private hired bus on scottish roads was not illegal? not sure about England?!

Ill be in the car with my dad kindly driving so will have a couple of sneaky bottles on the way down - dark tinted windows in the back so i'll be nicely concealed!

Lmc2105
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
2 coaches for edinburgh west tomorrow,

as Baldy said no drink at all on the bus please,

there will be checks by baldy and the other driver,

if you hve alcohol or try to get on the bus with it you will be left behind,

this is a serious issue tomorrow so please banter and a can assure you a sing song!! is enough

cheers guy's lee,

hibsdaft
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
what a total joke. a scandal tbh this sounds like a near military operation you'd think they were intercepting drug dealers or something.

sympathy to the PCs on the ground who have to carry out these ludicrous orders.

surreyhibbie
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
what a total joke. a scandal tbh this sounds like a near military operation you'd think they were intercepting drug dealers or something.

sympathy to the PCs on the ground who have to carry out these ludicrous orders.

Sympathy my Ar$e! what do you think happens to all the confiscated booze? straight in the back of their Range Rover mate.

Seen it more than once.

Safer not to bother guys!

VegasHibby
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
DAMN!!! - My masterplan to turn up at 8am with 2 bottles of "Coke" has been foiled by those scoundrels!!!

Seriously, if the idea of being obliged to go without a drink between the hours of 8am-12 noon enrages you, you should probably try to sort yourself out. The banter and songs will be more than good enough for me - oh, and the improving literature I'll be bringing with me.

Being obliged to go with or without a drink is not the issue. I'm not going to judge someone for whatever preference they have. But this is rediculous. U.K. is certainly a police state. :grr:
And what if you're carrying alcohol but not drinking it ?......

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Being obliged to go with or without a drink is not the issue. I'm not going to judge someone for whatever preference they have. But this is rediculous. U.K. is certainly a police state. :grr:
And what if you're carrying alcohol but not drinking it ?......

If you mean carrying it on the bus then I assume they'll take it or they might not be arsed with the agro and let you keep it.

If you mean walking along the street when I was walking back from the cup final they made me pour the can I was drinking down the drain and let me keep the rest (unopened).

Nando™
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Hmm I'm having trouble with that link, so a question.

If, for example, you are carrying an unopened (ie sealed) bottle of vodka, can they confiscate it?

hibsfootballer
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Its pathetic to be honest.

I wouldfeel like a twat workin for the ob takin samples out of a juice bottle on th motorway.

Baldy
07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Hmm I'm having trouble with that link, so a question.

If, for example, you are carrying an unopened (ie sealed) bottle of vodka, can they confiscate it?

yes ANY alcohol will be confiscated

bathhibby
07-08-2009, 04:45 PM
i am with Surreyhibbie on this one.
I run a 52 Seater from Bath to Cardiff for the Rugby (our 3rd 3ear) and I specify a Coach with a Bog as we will have Bevvy on board.
Not once has any of the Carriers had a problem with us
I think it could be lose interpretation of the Law, ie like stopping Miners on the Motorway many years ago.

Nando™
07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
yes ANY alcohol will be confiscated
That's poor.

Awwell, plenty boozers in Bolton.

Chuckie
07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
:whistle:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31788

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Disgusting stuff and shows the kind of authoritarian state we're drifting towards.

But no skin of my nose to sit for four hours without alcohol.

They, erm, didn't say anything about caravans and heroin, did they?

malcolm
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
if this is a designated sporting event then the law bans the carrying of acohol on coaches taking folk to it. There are similar laws on both sides of the border but presume the match would need to be designated under both jurisdictions or you'd be ok on one side of the border but not the other:greengrin

Think it was the Criminal Justice Scotland Act that brought in this and all the stuff about being drunk at matches, drinking while in sight of the pitch etc and down south the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act came along later

Albanian Hibs
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Just as well we are going by train then :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Just as well we are going by train then :wink:

They'll have police on the train. :agree:

oconnors_strip
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
dont see why people are over reacting to this. if you travel on a supporters bus to football in scotland you would know that alcohol is banned from being on board, drinking it or not!

plenty drinking time before the match when you get down there.

Bristolhibby
07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I love this country, where a mans home is his castle, and the state can dictate what and when you drink.

Fascists!! All hate to the state!!!

J

Ants
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Are you not posting information what is the law?

After reading through these posts, and in my interpretation, it looks like the norm is to take alcohol on the buses.... OH those were the days.

Jaz
07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Presumably there's nothing (ie no law) to stop you from having a bevvy in the back of a car as long as the car driver is sober.

If the law applies to buses I don't see why drinking in cars should be an exception.

LancashireHibby
07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
i am with Surreyhibbie on this one.
I run a 52 Seater from Bath to Cardiff for the Rugby (our 3rd 3ear) and I specify a Coach with a Bog as we will have Bevvy on board.
Not once has any of the Carriers had a problem with us
I think it could be lose interpretation of the Law, ie like stopping Miners on the Motorway many years ago.

It's largely a football rule - I've known of occasions in the past where coaches have been sent back to their original destination and banning orders etc handed out because of drinking on coaches. We get away with it when we do it going to non-league and rugby games, but no such luck once there's any sort of attention on the games.

woody47
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
TBH I really don't know what the big fuss is about. Are people really that desperate to have a bevy at 7 in the morning? Once we get to Bolton which should be about 10.30-11:00 people can then drink for the next 3 to 4 hours.

Chuckie
07-08-2009, 09:22 PM
TBH I really don't know what the big fuss is about. Are people really that desperate to have a bevy at 7 in the morning? Once we get to Bolton which should be about 10.30-11:00 people can then drink for the next 3 to 4 hours.

That's all well and good for you but what about the alcoholics amongst our support?

Should they be discrimanated against with this ridiculous draconian law?

The worlds gone PC mad when you can bum a man up the back of a coach but you cannae have a wee cheeky swally of cider.

Fight the power.

lucky
07-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I was the first person in Scotland to be found guilty of this so called crime 26 years ago when and the bus driver on the Carlton branch bus and i were both arrested and charged at Muirton Park. I got fined £40 but got my 10 cans back even though I was 16.:thumbsup:

it is an offence to drink or carry drink to a designated sporting ground in the UK.

That's why me and my Jakey pals are going by train

Removed
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
That's all well and good for you but what about the alcoholics amongst our support?

The worlds gone PC mad when you can bum a man up the back of a coach but you cannae have a wee cheeky swally of cider.

Fight the power.

:shocked:I'm on a bus the morn, thanks for the warning I'll no be sitting up the back then

wazoo1875
07-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Fight the power.
:faf: You're on form tonight Chuckie and that camelback is a great idea 3ltrs of voddy in it , get in there :greengrin

Bristolhibby
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Its not the fact that I want to. Its the fact that I cant. This Big Brother state says that I as a private citizen cannot consume my own legally purchased alcohol at a time of my choosing. Just because I am on a bus to a football game.

Madness.

J

fergal7
07-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I hate you Butler.........

Steve-O
08-08-2009, 03:45 AM
The law truly is an ass on this issue. I'd like to know the actual reasoning behind it? Other than, of course, giving the polis an easier time of it later in the day maybe.

Can't imagine why you can't have a couple of beers on a private hire coach to be honest.

Rasta_Hibs
08-08-2009, 08:44 AM
The law truly is an ass on this issue. I'd like to know the actual reasoning behind it? Other than, of course, giving the polis an easier time of it later in the day maybe.

Can't imagine why you can't have a couple of beers on a private hire coach to be honest.

Cos its control, control, control with this government! You will not have freewill!

Soon you wont be able to buy anything without your chip & pin and national ID card. Then we will not be allowed names and will just be refered to by the state as the number on your ID card!

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2009, 08:47 AM
What if you are:

1. A casual
2. A jakey
3. travelling by bus
4. out for Chorley

do you get four warnings?

Frazerbob
08-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Nothing new here. Plenty busses were turned back on route to Brussels on the M1 in 1992. The busses all re-routed down the M6 instead.

I used to run a bus to scotland games and we would always stop at Hearthill to get rid of all evidence of bevvy in case we got stopped on the outskirts of Glasgow.

surreyhibbie
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Cos its control, control, control with this government! You will not have freewill!

Soon you wont be able to buy anything without your chip & pin and national ID card. Then we will not be allowed names and will just be refered to by the state as the number on your ID card!

:agree: Agree 100% Rasta.

Not me though, the resistance starts here! :devil:

and BTW, I am deadly serious.

johnrebus
08-08-2009, 10:16 AM

I an not a number.

I am a person.

( Come in number six. Yer times up )