PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Thomson...

JE89
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Burnley striker Steve Thompson has been fined for drinking a fan's pint of beer on the club's pre-season tour of the United States. The 30-year-old fell over the advertising hoardings and took a swig from the fan's drink as a joke

Should Thomson be fined for this? All he was doing was having a laugh with fans, I think it makes him look like a lad. Thoughts?

McD
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Should Thomson be fined for this? All he was doing was having a laugh with fans, I think it makes him look like a lad. Thoughts?

I read an article over the weekend with thomson when he said coyle had jokingly said he'd fine him for it.

Seems a touch on the harsh side, in an age when players are more and more detached from the fans. I wouldve thot everyone would see the funny side and human side of it all :dunno:

Hibbyradge
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
It does seem a bit harsh, but I guess it depends on how professional the manager wants his players to be and he has to draw a line somewhere.

The fact that something was "just for a laugh" isn't really an acceptable excuse and I'm not sure if "looking like a lad" is a desireable trait for an extremely highly paid footballer.

How many swigs of beer should players be allowed to have, just for a laugh, during a game before they get into trouble? What if there was something more than beer in the glass?

In fact, I think Coyle is just further establishing his authority and getting the message across to his players that they're in the EPL now, and only the very highest standards of professionalism, and total concentration and application, will keep them there.

There's a time and a place to have a laugh with the fans and to look like a lad. Pre-season training isn't it.

For Burnley this season, there is no margin for error.

Judas Iscariot
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Should be burnt at the stake and sent on a rickshaw ride to John O Groats..

J-C
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes they're an EPL side now and have to be even more professional than before but surely on a pre season tour, upping Burnley's image with fans abroad is also very important. The fact that it was all done in jest would've went down well with the Yanks and if true that he's ben fine, well I think Coyle needs a humour implant put in.:greengrin

Tomsk
07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
It does seem a bit harsh, but I guess it depends on how professional the manager wants his players to be and he has to draw a line somewhere.

The fact that something was "just for a laugh" isn't really an acceptable excuse and I'm not sure if "looking like a lad" is a desireable trait for an extremely highly paid footballer.

How many swigs of beer should players be allowed to have, just for a laugh, during a game before they get into trouble? What if there was something more than beer in the glass?

In fact, I think Coyle is just further establishing his authority and getting the message across to his players that they're in the EPL now, and only the very highest standards of professionalism, and total concentration and application, will keep them there.

There's a time and a place to have a laugh with the fans and to look like a lad. Pre-season training isn't it.

I think you are on the money there. Burnley have got to close a considerable gap quickly and so the highest standards of discipline will be required. Coyle is putting down some markers, the key one being we are not here for a wee jolly.

Hibercelona
07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I think it is a little harsh.

Its like putting a whoopy couchin on your work colleagues chair.... and your boss coming through saying "Oi!.... Thats a fine!" :wink:

Its a mountain out of a mole hill....

Surely its important for players to have a laugh with fans... its all apart of the entertainment/banter.

hibs1875aye
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Im with the 26 other folk who said it was harsh (rather than the zero folk who said he should be fined).

1 swig of beer, for a laugh? "Thou shalt not have a laugh at football"....:grr:

Danderhall Hibs
07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
If i were Coyle I'd send him to the Priory asap.

Hibercelona
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Im with the 26 other folk who said it was harsh (rather than the zero folk who said he should be fined).

1 swig of beer, for a laugh? "Thou shalt not have a laugh at football"....:grr:

:agree:

Everyone else is suppost to act like robots at there work!...... so they should too! :grr:

I can see the future of football now - http://iftf.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/29/firachina.jpg

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Exterminate him!

(Coyle, that is.)

Woody1985
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think he should be fined but I can see why they would fine him. Does anyone have a video of it?

I assume that the play went on after which effectively meant he was playing competative sport whilst intoxicated with alchohol, however little.

I know that people have hangovers etc but like a lot of things nowadays, you can't have a laugh with anything.

mixumatosis
07-08-2009, 03:24 PM

I suspect that's what's being got at here. Can you imagine the bunfight that would ensue if Thomson went on to fail a drugs test cos there was something in there that ought not to have been ?

When other sportsmen/women can't take a cold remedy in case they fall foul of the doping laws it actually seems a wise precaution.

MacBean
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
good bit of banter but as mentioned there is the possibility of a drugs test and the whole proffesionalism side of it.
unique celebrations make the fans smile - remember Killen and the corner flag?!:thumbsup:

Badger0762
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I read an article over the weekend with thomson when he said coyle had jokingly said he'd fine him for it.

Seems a touch on the harsh side, in an age when players are more and more detached from the fans. I wouldve thot everyone would see the funny side and human side of it all :dunno:

I live just north of Portland Oregon and was at the game with my daughter to get my Hibs top signed by Fletch (good lad by the way). I saw the incident and he was simply trying to have a laugh with the crowd and succeeded. It was not as if he downed half the boys pint - merely managed a sip and was back on the pitch in 2 seconds.
Pretty pathetic in my mind.

BoltonHibee
07-08-2009, 04:25 PM
If i were Coyle I'd send him to the Priory asap.

They are now frantically trying to get him on flight to Southampton now!

atticmonkey
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I live just north of Portland Oregon and was at the game with my daughter to get my Hibs top signed by Fletch (good lad by the way). I saw the incident and he was simply trying to have a laugh with the crowd and succeeded. It was not as if he downed half the boys pint - merely managed a sip and was back on the pitch in 2 seconds.
Pretty pathetic in my mind.

Another example of an overkill reaction, it was a friendly match with a player having a bit of fun with the fans. An eye witness account that clearly states a "sip" of beer, ah well, role on the new season at least we're not allowed beer into matches (sic) to tempt our players.

CRAZYHIBBY
07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
George best!!!

lapsedhibee
07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I suspect that's what's being got at here. Can you imagine the bunfight that would ensue if Thomson went on to fail a drugs test cos there was something in there that ought not to have been ?

When other sportsmen/women can't take a cold remedy in case they fall foul of the doping laws it actually seems a wise precaution.

Absolutely. What if that thrown pie that Fulton took a bite out of had contained some sort of slimming drug? Banter might have been wrecked for many a future derby - a price far too high to pay for the sake of a bit of "harmless fun" during the match.

NOLA
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
imagine Deeks doing that!!:greengrin

joejoefaemexico
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM

thoughts? my thoughts are of sheer amazement, even after reading the article and then copy and pasting it you still manage to misspell the poor chaps surname!? oh dear.

sahib
07-08-2009, 06:42 PM

I don't know if you are playing devil's advocate here or being a bit "tongue in cheek" but it reads as sanctimonious and frankly silly.

JE89
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
thoughts? my thoughts are of sheer amazement, even after reading the article and then copy and pasting it you still manage to misspell the poor chaps surname!? oh dear.

Well Joseph, a man of your intelligence would know that when starting a new sentence the first letter of the first word should have a capital letter. Your mistake is far more juvenile than mine as Thomson can be spelt two ways, granted I made a mistake but to sit on your high horse when your punctuation is so poor is frankly embarrassing.

erin go bragh
07-08-2009, 07:12 PM
should be hung drawn and quartered:devil:thats just for being an ex hun
reading between the lines maybe coyle has slapped a booze ban and saw it as taking the piss if not its a bit over the top

stanton_4
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I think it depends on how much he drank.
Ifhe downed my pint I'd want the ****er fined!
:greengrin

Bellie710
13-08-2009, 04:10 PM
He wasn't fined he joked about being fined and the papers jumped on that