PDA

View Full Version : Yams Problems in Plymouth

Hibtastic
06-08-2009, 08:05 AM
From the BBC Quotes page:

To be honest, I've had easier teams. What a way to start the season!"

Plymouth's stadium announcer gets a little tongue-tied after trying to pronounce the host of Lithuanian names on Hearts' team sheet for the friendly at Home Park. (Jon Allsop, Plymouth) "

:greengrin:thumbsup:

Keith_M
06-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Poor guy, it must be a nightmare having one of those East European clubs for a home friendly

:wink:

EH14
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately for the comedian who sent that in, Hearts didn't have any Lithuanians in the starting line-up against Plymouth and we only had 2 on the bench (Zaliukas and Novikovas). British team with 2 players from the same foriegn country shock...

marinello59
06-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately for the comedian who sent that in, Hearts didn't have any Lithuanians in the starting line-up against Plymouth and we only had 2 on the bench (Zaliukas and Novikovas). British team with 2 players from the same foriegn country shock...

Ouch. Nerve hit?:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 08:44 AM

No comedian, but definitely a racist. Ha ha ha look at the men's funny names.

Steve-O
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM

:rolleyes:

Hardly 'racist' not being able to pronounce names derived from a language you don't speak.

O'Rourke3
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Since it's from the BBC and not Hibs.net perhaps the Yams should start their own list of BBC grudges used as "evidence" :faf: that Auntie Beeb has it in for them almost as badly as they have it in for Der Hun :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
:rolleyes:

Hardly 'racist' not being able to pronounce names derived from a language you don't speak.

OK then.

lapsedhibee
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
OK then.
Shirley the ad from which you draw your avatar would also be racist then, deriving some or all of its humour from the misspeaking of the English word "simple". :dunno:

marinello59
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

That's pushing it a bit. People smile when I attempt to say Auchtermuchty. (And possibly my attempt at spelling it too, I'll check that later.)

MSK
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
That's pushing it a bit. People smile when I attempt to say Auchturmuckty. (And possibly my attempt at spelling it too, I'll check that later.)Aye...its poor...:rolleyes:...:greengrin

Keith_M
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM

That's just silly. Some people in Austria have trouble pronouncing my name, because it has 'th' in it (which isn't really familiar in german). If they laughed at their inability to say it, I'd hardly consider it racist.

marinello59
06-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Aye...its poor...:rolleyes:...:greengrin

You're quick this morning, quoted whilst I was editing.:grr:

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Shirley the ad from which you draw your avatar would also be racist then, deriving some or all of its humour from the misspeaking of the English word "simple". :dunno:

Yes, can anybody give me a shovel, or a cover for this hole.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-08-2009, 09:00 AM
unfortunately for the comedian who sent that in, hearts didn't have any lithuanians in the starting line-up against plymouth and we only had 2 on the bench (zaliukas and novikovas). British team with 2 players from the same foriegn country shock...

back in your box!

Steve-O
06-08-2009, 09:04 AM
OK then.

I can't work out if you are being serious or sarcastic/

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I can't work out if you are being serious or sarcastic/

I can hardly argue my way out of this one, caught bang to rights. It wasn't racist, it was me being anally retentive about the subject. Like the man said, Alexandr would be racist for exactly the same reason. If there was a "dig a hole and bury me" smiley I'd use it.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I can hardly argue my way out of this one, caught bang to rights. It wasn't racist, it was me being anally retentive about the subject. Like the man said, Alexandr would be racist for exactly the same reason. If there was a "dig a hole and bury me" smiley I'd use it.

:top marks:faf:

Steve-O
06-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Whatever.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Whatever.

What do you want, blood?

Steve-O
06-08-2009, 09:32 AM
What do you want, blood?

Based on blackpoolhibs reaction, I thought you were trying to be 'hilarious'. Perhaps not, but I can't tell.

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Based on blackpoolhibs reaction, I thought you were trying to be 'hilarious'. Perhaps not, but I can't tell.

Honestly, I got it wrong, I am not trying to be sarcastic.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Two very different things, simples.:wink:

Jack
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM

There's two shovels, take your pick!

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Two very different things, simples.:wink:

comparethemeerkat.com comparethemarket.com - don't even sound same!

There's two shovels, take your pick!

I'm not a Trotskyist.

Steve-O
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Honestly, I got it wrong, I am not trying to be sarcastic.

Fair do's.

Blame blackpool for laughing! :agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Fair do's.

Most people do.:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Fair do's.

Thought he was laughing AT me, not WITH me. Like I say a smiley for "i've made a ***** of this" would be helpful.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Thought he was laughing AT me, not WITH me. Like I say a smiley for "i've made a ***** of this" would be helpful.

Definitely with you, you got it wrong, and you said so. :top marks

hibee_nation
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM

:hide: This one would probably suffice. :greengrin

Woody1985
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
BlackpoolHibs used a laughing smiley! :greengrin

I couldn't figure out if FR was being sarcastic or not either!

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Definitely with you, you got it wrong, and you said so. :top marks

Thanks, by the way did anyone hear about the announcer at Plymouth Argyle, he couldn't pronounce the names of the Lithuanians in Hearts team!

To make matters worse, there weren't any Lithuanians playing. Where do they get these guys? :bitchy:

Phil D. Rolls
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
BlackpoolHibs used a laughing smiley! :greengrin

I couldn't figure out if FR was being sarcastic or not either!

Not the first time someone has said that to me. Actually it's usually "I can't believe you are being serious". :greengrin