View Full Version : One Million Pounds

Aldo
06-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Do you think RP would give Hughes the money to spend on these players

Shackell - £250,000
Stokes - £250,000
Arfiled - £250,000
Barr -£250,000

I realise there are another 2 Falkirk Players there but do you think spending one million on these four would add more quality to our team????

I hope RP is not reading this thread as he may have a heart attack.

Personally cannot see it and may mean selling a player to fund this. Who would we sell in that case??

Bamba £750,000??
Zuma £1.5 million?
Stevenson £250,000?

I think we defo need a bit of quality in the team and a bit more balance. We should be up there challenging for 3rd and at least the semi's of the cups IMHO.

Still over 3 weeks till the window shuts but only a week on Saturday and its KO time.

Thoughts?????

The_Todd
06-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Not a hope. No SPL club spends like that anymore - even Rantic only actually seem to spend on fees when they see it to be crucial.

Barney McGrew
06-08-2009, 07:22 AM
It's not just the initial money on the transfer fee that's the issue, it the ongoing wages and bonuses.

We could spend big money on transfer fees for players but we've got to be able to pay them too.

M8UDB
06-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Cant see that happning, i would be happy if RP gave yogi £250k to spend on a player but if yogi even mentioned 1 mil to RP he would pass out. Couldnt afford the wages for them all either.

StevieC
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
That's the transfer fee's ...

... now add the wages, signing on fee's and the bonuses and see what figure you come up with.

:hmmm:

Seany HFC 7-0
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Wish it could happen, but it never will :boo hoo:

ancient hibee
06-08-2009, 09:43 AM
We'll get Barr for nothing in a few months:greengrin

The_Todd
06-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I can picture the scene, it would just be like the moment in Austin Powers when Dr Evil demand $100bn from the US president in 1969

Woody1985
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
This made me laugh....

You want 250k for Stevenson and want to spend all of that to get another player, presumably of pretty similar quality yet expect it to improve the squad.

Franck is God
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Shackell - £250,000
Stokes - £250,000
Arfiled - £250,000
Barr -£250,000

Never seen or heard of Shackell until he turned up on the rumour pages so can't comment on the above value.

Stokes cost Sunderland £2m and as a proven Championship striker they will want the vast majority of that fee back and as far as I am aware he isn't coming to the end of a contract and even if he was would be looking for at least £10k+ per week to sign for anyone.

Arfield is one of the best rated young players in Scotland who has just signed a 4 year deal, maybe closer to £750k might get Falkirks attention but not much less than that.

And Barr will be free to sign in January or for a nominal fee, also not sure what the fuss is about him at all. I've never been that impressed with him against Hibs and considering he is actually shorter than Hogg and the majority opinion on this board that Hogg isn't dominant enough to be at Hibs what would Darren Barr bring to the team?

jgl07
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Stokes cost Sunderland £2m and as a proven Championship striker they will want the vast majority of that fee back and as far as I am aware he isn't coming to the end of a contract and even if he was would be looking for at least £10k+ per week to sign for anyone.
Stokes a proven Championship striker? If you mean that he scored 4 goals in 61 appearances over two and a half seasons, it looks more like the kind of 'proven striker' that Hearts are constantly linked with. He played for Sunderland, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace over this period.

Sunderland are not going to get anything more than a nominal fee. I don't see many teams outside of the SPL being interested. They may try to play hardball but the prospect having a player on high wages not featuring in the first team squad may change their mind on a loan deal.

Arfield is one of the best rated young players in Scotland who has just signed a 4 year deal, maybe closer to £750k might get Falkirks attention but not much less than that.

And Barr will be free to sign in January or for a nominal fee, also not sure what the fuss is about him at all. I've never been that impressed with him against Hibs and considering he is actually shorter than Hogg and the majority opinion on this board that Hogg isn't dominant enough to be at Hibs what would Darren Barr bring to the team?
I agree about Arfield. Falkirk can sit back and wait given the length of his contract.

In the case of Barr if they do not deal soon they will end up with him walking at the end of the season or receiving a nominal fee in January.

Barr could dio a job for Hibs either in central defence or at right back.

Franck is God
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Stokes a proven Championship striker? If you mean that he scored 4 goals in 61 appearances over two and a half seasons, it looks more like the kind of 'proven striker' that Hearts are constantly linked with. He played for Sunderland, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace over this period.

I personally don't think we should be going anywhere near him. He had a good 4/5 month period at Falkirk with Russel Latapy putting them on a plate for him and thats about it, Arsenal conned Sunderland & Roy Keane into paying big time for him. I'd rather we didn't fall into that trap either.

blackhibee
06-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I personally don't think we should be going anywhere near him. He had a good 4/5 month period at Falkirk with Russel Latapy putting them on a plate for him and thats about it, Arsenal conned Sunderland & Roy Keane into paying big time for him. I'd rather we didn't fall into that trap either.

My thoughts exactly.:top marks

--------
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you think RP would give Hughes the money to spend on these players

Shackell - £250,000
Stokes - £250,000
Arfiled - £250,000
Barr -£250,000

I realise there are another 2 Falkirk Players there but do you think spending one million on these four would add more quality to our team????

I hope RP is not reading this thread as he may have a heart attack.

Personally cannot see it and may mean selling a player to fund this. Who would we sell in that case??

Bamba £750,000??
Zuma £1.5 million?
Stevenson £250,000?

I think we defo need a bit of quality in the team and a bit more balance. We should be up there challenging for 3rd and at least the semi's of the cups IMHO.

Still over 3 weeks till the window shuts but only a week on Saturday and its KO time.

Thoughts?????

First, you wouldn't get those four for that money. Not a snowball's chance in a very VERY hot place.

Second, as has been pointed out already, you'd still have to accommodate their salaries, bounses, etc within the wages budget. Again, not a snowball's chance....

Third, anyone who was at the Preston game would have to be seriously drunk or insane to think even momentarily of offering 3/4 of a million for Bamba - I like the guy, but he's never worth that.

And i don't want to lose Zouma just yet, either.

Nice idea, but .... :rolleyes:

sesoim
06-08-2009, 02:06 PM
It's not just the initial money on the transfer fee that's the issue, it the ongoing wages and bonuses.

We could spend big money on transfer fees for players but we've got to be able to pay them too.

:agree: We would have to spend an extra £20k a week on wages if we signed these four. Maybe when we've built the East Stand and our average crowds are up to about 17k......:wink:

--------
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
:agree: We would have to spend an extra £20k a week on wages if we signed these four. Maybe when we've built the East Stand and our average crowds are up to about 17k......:wink:

Yup - that's a million on the budget.

There's as much chance of me being the next Pope.

Unfortunately. :devil:

Aldo
06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
HEAY one can dream can he not??? :wink:

Got you thinking but didnt it.

:wink:

lEXO
06-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Wow. Sell 3 good players and replace them with 4 average players, raise the wage bill drastically when everybody else is cutting costs. Thats a great idea.
:confused: