PDA

View Full Version : Encouraged

Speedway
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Just in from the game. First 10 minutes I felt we looked like we were going to get horsed but we got into our stride and had our share of the play.

The players are clearly trying to implement what Yogi is asking. Tonight we played possession footie, always had an out ball, won the ball back well and contained Rovers. With Nish as our only striker, we were never going to have any teeth but apart from that, a very professional display.

Maka - Two blinding saves but not a keeper I trust.

McCann - Did ok. Worked hard but was just too wee against the giants Blackburn had.

Hogg - Strong tonight. Was never going to win everything in the air due to his height but did a lot of talking to his team tonight including encouraging players individually when the play was stopped.

Bamba - One bad pass all night, otherwise superb imo.

Murray - Again, not quick enough to get balls into the box put plenty of endeavour there and didn't give the ball away.

McBride - Excellent. Did the simple stuff well all night.

Cregg - Pressed a lot but didn't make his presence felt.

Rankin - see Cregg, too small for this game.

Lewis - see Rankin and Cregg.

Zoumer - The one real class player on the park for either side, a joy to watch.

Nish - Graduated from the Davie Beaumont School of Ball Control tonight with honours. Absolute single fish.

Subs weren't on long enough to rate.

Clearly a strong team spirit is emerging and while it's clear that we are woefully short of quality, we've got a side on tonight's showing, that are willing to work for each other, talk to each other, encourage each other and pass the ball, keeping possession and pressing for it back when it's lost.

That's an encouraging start.

Mikey
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Cheers Speedway. Does indeed sound encouraging.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Just in from the game. First 10 minutes I felt we looked like we were going to get horsed but we got into our stride and had our share of the play.

The players are clearly trying to implement what Yogi is asking. Tonight we played possession footie, always had an out ball, won the ball back well and contained Rovers. With Nish as our only striker, we were never going to have any teeth but apart from that, a very professional display.

McCann - Did ok. Worked hard but was just too wee against the giants Blackburn had.

Hogg - Strong tonight. Was never going to win everything in the air due to his height but did a lot of talking to his team tonight including encouraging players individually when the play was stopped.

Murray - Again, not quick enough to get balls into the box put plenty of endeavour there and didn't give the ball away.

Nish - Graduated from the Davie Beaumont School of Ball Control tonight with honours. Absolute single fish.

Clearly a strong team spirit is emerging and while it's clear that we are woefully short of quality, we've got a side on tonight's showing, that are willing to work for each other, talk to each other, encourage each other and pass the ball, keeping possession and pressing for it back when it's lost.

Delighted to read that Speedway :thumbsup:

Saorsa
05-08-2009, 09:57 PM

That's an encouraging start. Problem is it'll probably be the finish as well if we dinnae get that quality, still time tae do something about it though and hopefully it will be done :pray: I fear if we have tae play the season out with the sqaud as it is it's going tae be another long one.

Sergey
05-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Sounds like a squad that can challenge for 3rd position in a pi$$ poor SPL.

legends of 73
05-08-2009, 10:03 PM
very good summary from the o/p on my wayw back from the game i thought we passed the ball well but we need a striker as big nish is pure single fish. We worked hard and everyone knew what job they had to do. Only another 2 1/2 hrs to go and i'm sitting next to a a guy who snore's for scotland what a mare lol

Green Man
05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Cheers Speedway. How did Blackburn look? They're my 2nd team (nobody can accuse me of being a glory hunter :greengrin)

iwasthere1972
05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Good one Speedway. More encouraging than I was expecting.

0-0 against an EPL side away from home and with a far superior spending power than we can ever imagine.

Okay we still need to strengthen the squad but for tonight ding dong.

iwasthere1972
05-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Cheers Speedway. How did Blackburn look? They're my 2nd team (nobody can accuse me of being a glory hunter :greengrin)

Some of BR fans discussing it here on Blackburn Rovers Mad messageboard.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=73&fid=51&sty=2&act=1&mid=2125109448

Talk of some fans fighting. Can anybody confirm this?

Dr_Regal
05-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Wow their's two of us green man! I feel your pain. School was a nightmare!

andudare2
05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
so nothing to do with them being 1 of the only 4 teams to win the premiership then?:faf: funnily enough my son. is a rovers fan as well, after the cabbage that is:blah:

hibsbollah
05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Maka sounds like he played a blinder tonight, well done the Big Man:thumbsup:

Attendance 5,500 seems surprisingly low?:confused:
http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1744543,00.html

Green Man
05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
so nothing to do with them being 1 of the only 4 teams to win the premiership then?:faf: funnily enough my son. is a rovers fan as well, after the cabbage that is:blah:

That and the League Cup win were two bright spots in two decades of gloom :greengrin

LancashireHibby
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Bar probably McCarthy and Dunn, it was all but Blackburn's first team, so a very credible result for us. Would be hugely worried if I were Dingle tonight though based on how they played - didn't have an answer to Zemmama other than bring him down.

Jack
05-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Having read what you have all said I'm happier now than I was at 8 o'clock.

Thanks for the comments.

2-0 down if it hadn't been for Makka. I wish folk would get off his back. Its going to be difficult enough for the defence this season.

Greenway
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
2-0 down if it hadn't been for Makka. I wish folk would get off his back. Its going to be difficult enough for the defence this season.

Just what I was thinking after Speedways summary of him.

"Maka - Two blinding saves but not a keeper I trust."

It's a fair point of view, but I'm not sure what Maka can do if even good performances are not enough to escape another chance for a dig.

Wakeyhibee
06-08-2009, 12:22 AM

It's a fair point of view, but I'm not sure what Maka can do if even good performances are not enough to escape another chance for a dig.

More of the same will help secure this and I agree with the OP, for me it's the distribution and some of his decision making tha has lacked in the past. Tonight they weren't evident and his saves were excellent, he fully deserves the plaudits.

rainman
06-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Interesting to read that Cregg and Rankin are too small for this game but Zemamma was outstanding. :confused:

GreenCastle
06-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Glad we played as a team - something missing last season.

How long we going to be able to keep Zoomer - get him a new contract and ASAP.

Maka well done for the saves - looking forward to seeing Stack though.

Glad to hear Bamba and McBride having good games too with Hogg encouraging like a captain. :thumbsup:

shamo9
06-08-2009, 03:27 AM

I resent these comments, not least of all because I'm small as well. Your justification for them being ineffectual due to being diametrically opposed is asinine. They're not ***** because they're small, they're **** because of their failure to adapt and overcome. It's not like they've suddenly turned into midgets, they should've molded their games into compensating for their shortness by embracing its advantages.

If they are going to hide behind their height then they should pack it in right now. Patrice Evra (the type of fullback Yogi is looking for) is only 5 ft 8 (smaller than McCann, Cregg and Rankin) in and he's doing fine. I'd elaborate but I'm too tired.

GhostofBolivar
06-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Two top quality saves. Your words.

What the hell else do you want???

You know what?

I'm sick to death of every player except Maka getting a free pass on being crap.

Two top quality saves.

I guess it's just a shame he didn't save a child from a burning building while he was at it, eh???

Or shoot the ****ing dog...

On Saturday, Bamba cost us the game. He made a mistake best described as disgraceful - beyond ****ing awful - but I came on here when I got home and people were getting on Maka (for no ****ing reason at all) cos Bamba was our player of the year and we can't criticise him. No. Not at all.

Wakey-wakey. We were ****ing terrible last year. Being player of the season last season (when we were apocalyptically ****ing bad) isn't something to write home about. And - incidentally - there are a few guys I'd nominate before Bamba if it came down to it. Chris Hogg, anyone?

Bamba is a hideously limited footballer, but he seems to be some kind of hero who's immune from criticism, cos he's off to Arsenal.

Nae offence, but if there's anything Arsenal want, it's somebody who can pass the ****ing ball. Which rules Sol Bamba out for a start. On a good day his close control is best described as ****ing terrible.

I'm ****ing sick of it. Maka isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be. Sounds to me as if he's been ****ing outstandingly good tonight, but it's too painful for you mother****ers to admit it.

Well, **** you.

Yeah, I'm drunk.

But I don't care.

I'm sick of it.

Maka's cool with me.

Speedway
06-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Interesting to read that Cregg and Rankin are too small for this game but Zemamma was outstanding. :confused:

I'll elaborate.

I was looking for the postives to report for Maka and they were 'two blinding saves' I didn't mention the two corners he completely got caught out on due to his positioning, the time Blackburn tried to chip him ala Charlie Adam, thanks to his positioning and the walkabout he went on to concede a corner just like he did v. the yams at ER last season, which cost us a goal on that occasion.

Not a keeper I trust. A shotstopper, but not someone who 'keeps goal' all round.

The reason for disparity between the Cregg Rankin and Zoumer ratings is because one of them had the speed and ability to get past the size disadvantage and the other two did not.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Sounds like a squad that can challenge for 3rd position in a pi$$ poor SPL.

Not a hope in hells chance this squad will make 3rd. We never had one shot at goal last night, not one. Zemamma apart, every good display was a defending good display, we created nothing in the final 3rd. We are again toothless up front. Yes the SPL is pish, but if we take the green tinted glasses of, so are we. This squad without any additions are a stick on for 6th, maybe 5th at best. If we get better players in, who knows, but whoever we get, has to be better than we currently have.

Ray_
06-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Not too difficult to answer that one, skill & talent, Jimmy Johnstone was always the smallest player on the park, but he was the best player ever to pull on the Celtic shirt.

Keith_M
06-08-2009, 07:54 AM

So, what else did you want from the guy?

:confused:

We kept a clean sheet and, in your own words, he had two 'blinding' saves. The curse of the Hibs goalkeepers (which, IMHO, is the Hibs support) strikes again.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 08:01 AM

We kept a clean sheet and, in your own words, he had two 'blinding' saves. The curse of the Hibs goalkeepers (which, IMHO, is the Hibs support) strikes again.

I understand what he means. I thought maka was superb last night, the 2 saves were top drawer, but he did drop an easy catch late on in the game, and he went for a wander that resulted in a needless corner. His kicking was superb, he saved most that came his way, he just has that casualness that make some people nervous.

basehibby
06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Not a hope in hells chance this squad will make 3rd. We never had one shot at goal last night, not one. Zemamma apart, every good display was a defending good display, we created nothing in the final 3rd. We are again toothless up front. Yes the SPL is pish, but if we take the green tinted glasses of, so are we. This squad without any additions are a stick on for 6th, maybe 5th at best. If we get better players in, who knows, but whoever we get, has to be better than we currently have.

:top marksWe need to add some more quality to the squad before the window SLAMS shut - otherwise we'll struggle to rise above the mediocrity of last season's results.

ancient hibee
06-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Being a grump I predict a lot of 1-0 defeats this season.In a lot of games Falkirk had more than 50% possession but hadn't a scooby as to what to do with it.It's easy to be coached to keep the ball but much more difficult to learn how to put it where it matters.

stephen1875
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Being a grump I predict a lot of 1-0 defeats this season.In a lot of games Falkirk had more than 50% possession but hadn't a scooby as to what to do with it.It's easy to be coached to keep the ball but much more difficult to learn how to put it where it matters.

I see your point.. but i disagree. Falkirk only had a lot of 1-0 defeats last season cos they had pretty much 1 half decent striker (Higdon) and he isnt exactly a renound goalscorer, and a severe lack of creativity in midfield. If Falkirk had Riordan and Zoumer in their team last season, they would have done much better.

ahibby
06-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I see your point.. but i disagree. Falkirk only had a lot of 1-0 defeats last season cos they had pretty much 1 half decent striker (Higdon) and he isnt exactly a renound goalscorer, and a severe lack of creativity in midfield. If Falkirk had Riordan and Zoumer in their team last season, they would have done much better.

I agree but we need to get a sound central defender and tough ball winner for midfield(if Bamba doesn't fill that role), to stop opponents getting easy goals a la PNE game. Despite both Riordan and Zouma playing that game we only got an own goal to show for our efforts and no goals against Blackburn (although Deeks was missing). I am sure the goals will come from those two but we have to sort out defence and midfield.

LancashireHibby
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM

He didn't command his defence or area particularly well IMHO, got caught out twice coming for a ball on the edge of the area and dropping it - luckily Bamba was on hand to clear it on both occasions IIRC. Great shot stopper, no doubt about it, but I certainly don't feel completely confident in him, and if any of his defenders are of the same opinion then we're in trouble.

Expecting Rain
06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

We`ll have to kep the ball away from our fragile defence and our big fragile centre forward, c`mon Yogi get a couple of decent players in before next saturday, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

--------
06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Two top quality saves. Your words.

What the hell else do you want???

You know what?

I'm sick to death of every player except Maka getting a free pass on being crap.

Two top quality saves.

I guess it's just a shame he didn't save a child from a burning building while he was at it, eh???

Or shoot the ****ing dog...

On Saturday, Bamba cost us the game. He made a mistake best described as disgraceful - beyond ****ing awful - but I came on here when I got home and people were getting on Maka (for no ****ing reason at all) cos Bamba was our player of the year and we can't criticise him. No. Not at all.

Wakey-wakey. We were ****ing terrible last year. Being player of the season last season (when we were apocalyptically ****ing bad) isn't something to write home about. And - incidentally - there are a few guys I'd nominate before Bamba if it came down to it. Chris Hogg, anyone?

Bamba is a hideously limited footballer, but he seems to be some kind of hero who's immune from criticism, cos he's off to Arsenal.

Nae offence, but if there's anything Arsenal want, it's somebody who can pass the ****ing ball. Which rules Sol Bamba out for a start. On a good day his close control is best described as ****ing terrible.

I'm ****ing sick of it. Maka isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be. Sounds to me as if he's been ****ing outstandingly good tonight, but it's too painful for you mother****ers to admit it.

Well, **** you.

Yeah, I'm drunk.

But I don't care.

I'm sick of it.

Maka's cool with me.

I am not drunk.

And I am posting with premeditation and forethought.

The only bit of this I disagree with is the bit about "every player except Maka getting a free pass on being crap", because I know very well that there are one or two others who're liable to get the treatment any day now. That's one of the joys of playing for our glorious club - if your face doesn't fit, your own fans can be nastier than the opposing ones.

Maka regularly gets a bum rap from certain posters on this board.

Saturday night was a perfect case in point.

First goal - Bamba's blunder.

Second goal - the whole defence playing "After you Claude, no, after you Cecil" instead of sorting things expeditiously and effectively.

(Maybe the much-maligned McBride's absence had something to do with the shambles? IIRC when he signed for us he was posted by some folks as useless as well.)

Third goal - winger given acres of space to put the cross in to a centre-forward in acres of space giving said centre-forward a completely free header with no opposition whatsoever.

But according to some, it was all Maka's fault.

The 'Herald' takes just enough notice of our game to have a go at the guy as well today - maybe a .netter moonlighting?

I'd suggest that Yogi must be wondering what the **** he's got himself into (oopsie - dinnae tell ma bosses!) but he's a Leefer and he's probably not surprised in the slightest.

Anyone else noticed that the season hasn't started yet?

:grr:

PS: the Big Guy's cool with me too.

Speedway
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM

What else do I want?

He didn't command his defence or area particularly well IMHO, got caught out twice coming for a ball on the edge of the area and dropping it - luckily Bamba was on hand to clear it on both occasions IIRC. Great shot stopper, no doubt about it, but I certainly don't feel completely confident in him, and if any of his defenders are of the same opinion then we're in trouble.

Someone who doesn't do that!!

The boy is a huge 6'5''. Anything in the six yard box at least should be his. Opposition players should be decapitated as he smashes straight through them to get the ball.

This rarely, if ever, happens. Instead, panic sets in as no-one claims the ball, Maka doesn't shout instructions one way or another and is frequently out of position/off for a needless wander.

Someone who cuts all that out of their game, keeps goal. That's what more I want, a goal 'keeper'

Keith_M
06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I understand what he means. I thought maka was superb last night, the 2 saves were top drawer, but he did drop an easy catch late on in the game, and he went for a wander that resulted in a needless corner. His kicking was superb, he saved most that came his way, he just has that casualness that make some people nervous.

I know he has faults, the casualness does kind of worry me as well.

However, it seems, and fair enough I'm going on Speedway's account of the game, that he had some amazing saves and could be considered responsible for keeping a clean sheet. Despite that, he still gets slated.

Hibs had something like the fourth best defensive record in the SPL last season, surely some of which is down to the keeper.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I know he has faults, the casualness does kind of worry me as well.

However, it seems, and fair enough I'm going on Speedway's account of the game, that he had some amazing saves and could be considered responsible for keeping a clean sheet. Despite that, he still gets slated.

Hibs had something like the fourth best defensive record in the SPL last season, surely some of which is down to the keeper.

Me too, although if we got what we did last night from him every week, we would have a very good keeper. He needs to cut out the daft mistakes.

--------
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Me too, although if we got what we did last night from him every week, we would have a very good keeper. He needs to cut out the daft mistakes.

As does alomost every other keeper in the SPL and EPL.

But they're not all first stop on their own supporters "let's get them" list.

Speedway
06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Just spoke to a Blackburn fan who was there last night.

Reckoned they were poor, mentioned Zoumer, Bamba and Maka as being stand out and asked how that 'Donkey' up front gets a game for us.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Just spoke to a Blackburn fan who was there last night.

Reckoned they were poor, mentioned Zoumer, Bamba and Maka as being stand out and asked how that 'Donkey' up front gets a game for us.

We were very poor up front, and understand his comments, but if we were poor, why did they not beat us? Anyway, tell him it took a while, but we did win 3-0 on aggregate.:wink:

Spike Mandela
06-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Sounds exactly like ehmmmm, well, Falkirk last year:bitchy:

Speedway
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
We were very poor up front, and understand his comments, but if we were poor, why did they not beat us? Anyway, tell him it took a while, but we did win 3-0 on aggregate.:wink:

Sorry, he meant he felt Blackburn were poor.

He also commented, since he was in the lower tier of the JW stand, how animated he'd noticed that our manager was.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry, he meant he felt Blackburn were poor.

He also commented, since he was in the lower tier of the JW stand, how animated he'd noticed that our manager was.

Ahh.:greengrin Cant say i noticed yogi much. :confused:

Baldy
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM

think he may be getting our manager and his assistant mixed up .. Rice was out yelling all game