PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotland Squad v Norway.

scott7_0(Prague)
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
FIFA World Cup Qualifying Match
Norway v Scotland
Ullevaal Stadium, Oslo
Wednesday 12 August 2009, Kick-off 7pm

National Coach George Burley has named a 23-man squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifier against Norway in Oslo.

Goalkeepers
Neil Alexander Rangers
Jamie Langfield Aberdeen
David Marshall Cardiff City

Defenders
Darren Barr Falkirk
Christophe Berra Wolverhampton Wanderers
Gary Caldwell Celtic
Steven Caldwell Burnley
Callum Davidson Preston North End
Alan Hutton Tottenham Hotspur
Jamie McAllister Bristol City
Steven Whittaker Rangers

Midfield
Graham Alexander Burnley
Scott Brown Celtic
Kris Commons Derby County
Darren Fletcher Manchester United
Paul Hartley Bristol City
Shaun Maloney Celtic
James McFadden Birmingham City

Forwards
David Clarkson Bristol City
Steven Fletcher Burnley
Ross McCormack Cardiff City
Kenny Miller Rangers
Steven Naismith Rangers

scott7_0(Prague)
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
A few surprise additions in this squad.

Steven Caldwell & Steven Naismith for 2!

mim
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Only 6 ex-Hibbies in the squad - not good enough. :devil:

Future17
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
A few surprise additions in this squad.

Steven Caldwell & Steven Naismith for 2!

I agree with Caldwell's inclusion but if Deek can get his act together off the park, you've got to think Naismith is one of a few who are replaceable.

Tollhouse Hibee
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Very Very weak squad.

midfield with less bite than the Hibs midfield.

scott7_0(Prague)
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Very Very weak squad.

And what about the goalies in your opinion? :greengrin

JimBHibees
04-08-2009, 09:58 AM

Yep weak in the goalie dept, IMO Alexander should play.

Dont think the midfield is that weak would play Hartley sitting, Brown and Fletcher middle with Commons and Faddy wide.

Miller up front.

james62
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM

The goalkeeper position is always a worry when Gordon is injured. I hope he picks Alexander as even though Clangers had a much better season for the sheep last year I'd be very worried about going into a make or break world cup qualifier with him between the sticks. Does anyone know if Gordon will be back for the Macedonia/Netherlands games?

hibsbollah
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Very Very weak squad.

the midfield 4 is the only really strong part of the team IMO. Fletcher Brown McFadden Maloney with Commons off the bench will cause problems.

HibeeSince82
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
How on earth does Naismith get into the squad??

When did he last play a game in the league.....or score??

mikey1875
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Shaun Maloney Celtic

This guy cant get a game for his club

Velma Dinkley
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Naismith was one of Rangers' best players in the Emirates Cup at the weekend, along with Whittaker.

HibeeSince82
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Naismith was one of Rangers' best players in the Emirates Cup at the weekend, along with Whittaker.

Didnt watch it but does that mean he should earn a call up to the scotland squad on the basis of a couple of friendly matches?

Randerson_4
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Didnt watch it but does that mean he should earn a call up to the scotland squad on the basis of a couple of friendly matches?

Seeing as its Scotland, and he plays for Rangers, then Yes

Can hardly say im surprised he is in there. Squad does look very weak

Glad to see we have got rid of Weir, Dailly, McCulloch. Also happy that Burley has stuck with excluding Fergie and McGregor

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
How on earth does Naismith get into the squad??

When did he last play a game in the league.....or score??

Naismith and Maloney are in the squad because of the club jersey colour.

Sylar
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Norway v Scotland
Ullevaal Stadium, Oslo

National Coach George Burley has named a 23-man squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifier against Norway in Oslo.

Goalkeepers
Neil Alexander Rangers
Jamie Langfield Aberdeen

Defenders
Darren Barr Falkirk
Gary Caldwell Celtic
Steven Caldwell Burnley
Steven Whittaker Rangers

Midfield
Graham Alexander Burnley
Scott Brown Celtic
Shaun Maloney Celtic

Forwards
Steven Fletcher Burnley
Kenny Miller Rangers
Steven Naismith Rangers

That is so far from inspiring, it's not funny...

Alexander

A. Hutton
G. Caldwell
C. Berra
C. Davidson

S. Maloney
S. Brown
D. Fletcher
P. Hartley
J. McFadden

K. Miller

I can't see how many of the other squad players are good enough to be representing us at international level (excl. Barr, Fletcher, McCormack or Whittaker).

S.Caldwell - pish
J.McCallister - pish
K. Commons - pish
S. Naismith - done nothing in the last few years with injury
G. Alexander - pish
J. Langfield - pish

Where are David Weir, Stephen McManus, Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Conner etc?

I'd rather see Zander Diamond or Lee Wilkie in the lineup, as opposed to unproven pish like Caldwell or McCallister.

hibsbollah
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Seeing as its Scotland, and he plays for Rangers, then Yes

Can hardly say im surprised he is in there. Squad does look very weak

Glad to see we have got rid of Weir, Dailly, McCulloch. Also happy that Burley has stuck with excluding Fergie and McGregor

Only 7 of the squad of 23 are from Rangers or Celtic. Makes it easier to get behind the national team in that respect:greengrin

RoslinInstHibby
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
That is so far from inspiring, it's not funny...

Alexander

A. Hutton
G. Caldwell
C. Berra
C. Davidson

S. Maloney
S. Brown
D. Fletcher
P. Hartley
J. McFadden

K. Miller

I can't see how many of the other squad players are good enough to be representing us at international level (excl. Barr, Fletcher, McCormack or Whittaker).

S.Caldwell - pish
J.McCallister - pish
K. Commons - pish
S. Naismith - done nothing in the last few years with injury
G. Alexander - pish
J. Langfield - pish

Where are David Weir, Stephen McManus, Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Conner etc?

I'd rather see Zander Diamond or Lee Wilkie in the lineup, as opposed to unproven pish like Caldwell or McCallister.

harsh on Commons, i rate him as a very decent player.

Ritchie
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
harsh on Commons, i rate him as a very decent player.

:agree:

Commons is a good player

Velma Dinkley
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Commons seems very good going forward. Graham Alexander is playing in central midfield these days, rather than right back, and has been doing really well. He might be getting on a bit but he's probably fitter than most of the other players and could be our anchor man in Norway.

Randerson_4
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Commons is a good player

Without wanting to come across as rasist, Commons is English & shouldn't be playing for Scotland. End of.

Sylar
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Commons has impressed me the few times I've seen him with Derby, but I've yet to see him do anything of note in a Scotland jersey.

joe t
04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
You cant help thinking that, with the injuries we have and the time of the season that it's getting played, this game could not come at a worse time for us.

Pray for a sneaky 1-0 away win. (Faddy from half way?):agree:

cwilliamson85
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
were going on about how bad the scotland squad is but we ave nto even seen the Norway team yet.

Who do they really have that is a threat?

Velma Dinkley
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Exactly. Norway will at least be without their most influential player...Chris Iwelumo :wink:

scott7_0(Prague)
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Without wanting to come across as rasist, Commons is English & shouldn't be playing for Scotland. End of.

Wind your neck in son! :grr: oh and then that would make Steven Fletcher also English!

hibs1875aye
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Wind your neck in son! :grr: oh and then that would make Steven Fletcher also English!

It would be easier to hang on to England knowing you'll rarely be embarassed on the football pitch even if you never get a game (save for a few occassions which we Scots do treasure, and rightly so :greengrin) than playing for Scotland and almost guaranteing it will happen at some point (Faroes, San Marino, etc).

I dont really care too much where someone is born if they want to play for Scotland and can do a job...

Craig_in_Prague
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
It would be easier to hang on to England knowing you'll rarely be embarassed on the football pitch even if you never get a game (save for a few occassions which we Scots do treasure, and rightly so :greengrin) than playing for Scotland and almost guaranteing it will happen at some point (Faroes, San Marino, etc).

I dont really care too much where someone is born if they want to play for Scotland and can do a job...

They can play for Scotland, as long as they've had Irnbru & Haggis, oh wait a minute :duck:

hibs1875aye
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
They can play for Scotland, as long as they've had Irnbru & Haggis, oh wait a minute :duck:

Aye, but not in the same bowl surely :greengrin

Tyler Durden
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Naismith's call up is a joke. Personally I think Barr and Clarkson aren't good enough either.

Might not be a popular opinion, but how can Lee Wallace not make the squad when Callum Davidson at 36/7 is included?

I can still see us getting a result though. Blind optimism.

Mixu's Hatrick
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I actually saw George Burley at Easter Road on Saturday and did wonder who he had come to see....at a push I thought maybe be Deek....During the game though I said to my mate that I really hope he isn't going to go for Callum Davidson at the expense of someone like Lee Wallace....lo and behold!

Speaking to Jumbos I know they have been telling me that Wallace was one of the reasons Driver was getting the press he got as his runs and workrate gave Driver space and a platform to play from.....Callum Davidson and Alexander are our future......Smashin'

JimBHibees
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Naismith's call up is a joke. Personally I think Barr and Clarkson aren't good enough either.

Might not be a popular opinion, but how can Lee Wallace not make the squad when Callum Davidson at 36/7 is included?

I would agree Wallace should be in but IMO would keep Davidson and bomb McAllister.

Tollhouse Hibee
04-08-2009, 01:20 PM

i would have all of them at easter road!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Norway v Scotland
Ullevaal Stadium, Oslo

Goalkeepers
Neil Alexander Rangers
Jamie Langfield Aberdeen

Defenders
Darren Barr Falkirk
Gary Caldwell Celtic
Steven Caldwell Burnley
Steven Whittaker Rangers

Midfield
Graham Alexander Burnley
Scott Brown Celtic
Shaun Maloney Celtic

Forwards
Steven Fletcher Burnley
Kenny Miller Rangers
Steven Naismith Rangers

S****** s******...how embarassing...

EskbankHibby
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Agree with this, Wallace had a good season last year, great player and "one for the future" as opposed to Davidson who is getting on a wee bit.

What more could Wallace do to convince Burley though, not as if he could put a gun to his head..................

scott7_0(Prague)
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
i would have all of them at easter road!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where would you play them, oh and whats your opinion of Stack coming in!!

andyhibs
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Allant1981
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Its not a very inspiring squad but who is better that is fully fit that burley can bring in? Murray?

PISTOL1875
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Where is Kevin Thomson ?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Randerson_4
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM

Thats fine by me, if your not Scottish you shouldnt be playing for Scotland

Think Thomson and Wallace probably unlucky not to be in the squad

Broken Gnome
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Thomson's not played in how long? Same goes for Naismith admittedly, but we're better equipped in midfield.

Yes it's a pretty shoddy squad, but remember a lot of them don't have a hope of a game. You'll have a relatively strong first 11 (and young, providing he doesn't play Alexander - Davidson I'll accept as left back's weak) and the subs would pick themselves.

Away from home so 451

Alexander

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Davidson/Whittaker

McCormack
Fletcher
Hartley (or Alexander?)
Brown
Commons

Miller

Then Fletcher, McFadden or Maloney can reinforce things. It's a very average Norway, and it'll be Scotland team that's got goals in it.

fiolex1
05-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I really find it hard to watch Scotland when the managers over the years pick old firm players to keep in the good books, Naismith is a joke, I'm surprised that Fleck name hasn't been mentioned again.:grr:

Lee Wallace for me shoud've been given a shout, even if on the bench for the left back position.:agree: