PDA

View Full Version : NHC Falkirk reject Arfield bid

Hanny
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/8182313.stm

Falkirk have rejected a £100,000 offer from Scottish Premier League rivals Hamilton Academical for midfielder Scott Arfield.

BBC Scotland has learned that the bid falls short of Falkirk's valuation of the 20-year-old player.

Not surprised it was rejected, but if Hamilton are in for one of Falkirk's star players they must be needing the cash :hmmm:

PaulSmith
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Not surprised it was rejected, but if Hamilton are in for one of Falkirk's star players they must be needing the cash :hmmm:

Hamilton are going bananas.

bids in for Arfield, Imrie of ICT, Murphy of 'Well and someone else who I cannot remember from the SPL

blaikie
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Hamilton are going bananas.

bids in for Arfield, Imrie of ICT, Murphy of 'Well and someone else who I cannot remember from the SPL
Good to see them reinvesting the cash they got from McCarthy and Easton :agree: Take note Petrie :devil::duck:

ancient hibee
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Don't see why someone making a bid means the receiving club must need the cash.

Golden Bear
03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't see why someone making a bid means the receiving club must need the cash.

:agree:

Wondered that myself!

PaulSmith
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Just remembered its the lad Bryson from Killie.

Dashing Bob S
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Double it and bring him to ER.

Future17
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Falkirk have rejected a £100,000 offer from Scottish Premier League rivals Hamilton Academical for midfielder Scott Arfield.

BBC Scotland has learned that the bid falls short of Falkirk's valuation of the 20-year-old player.

That's brilliant. It's taken the BBC 'til now to realise that a rejected offer means the bid falls short of the player's current club's valuation.

P.S. - Signing Arfield - PRO - If he has a good season, we sell him on for a large profit. CON - If we're going to spend money, I'd rather it was done on a centre-half.

Part/Time Supporter
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Did Hamilton really believe that Falkirk would sell Arfield for 100K?

:confused:

Seems slightly desperate. They have cash to spend but have a team that as it stands are clear favourites to go down IMO.

stubru59
03-08-2009, 06:13 PM

No, that was just for starters.

Let the bidding begin.

ScottB
03-08-2009, 06:13 PM
It's hardly surprising that Hamilton are splashing the cash, considering if they don't they must be stick ons for relegation.

Wouldn't mind seeing Arfield at ER, though it will just be more fuel for the 'Falkirk players aint good enough for Hibs' brigade.

bingo70
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Even if the bid was accepted why would Arfield want to join them?

Sounds to me like a bit of a PR stunt, will give Falkirk a fright though thats all he's perceived to be worth by other clubs, i'm sure they'll have budgeted for getting much higher opening offer than that.

Westie1875
03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
That is an insulting bid for Arfield to be honest, fairly sure he is on quite a long contract too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Wondered that myself!

I thought that as soon as Falkirk went out of europe they might have needed to sell players to balance the books and pay for the new stand. Seems like the stand has been paid for in full by a supporter and also new players wages are being funded out of directors pockets. Maybe they don't need to sell after all.

jgl07
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Seems slightly desperate. They have cash to spend but have a team that as it stands are clear favourites to go down IMO.
Very strange.

Rumour has it that Hamilton are next on the list for HMRC after they have finished spitting out Hearts.

Without the sales to England they could be in adminsitration now.

This came from the poster on kickback who told of the action against Hearts.

heretoday
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Arfield is quite good isn't he? Why aren't Hibs going for him?

JimBHibees
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Even if the bid was accepted why would Arfield want to join them?

Sounds to me like a bit of a PR stunt, will give Falkirk a fright though thats all he's perceived to be worth by other clubs, i'm sure they'll have budgeted for getting much higher opening offer than that.

You are right why would Arfield take a step down. If this bid suggests Falkirk are struggling financially then we should be banging down their door for Barr and Arfield. Both young, will only get better and we will make some cash on them. Wouldnt imagine Bairns will sell both at the same time.

Ed De Gramo
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
That is an insulting bid for Arfield to be honest, fairly sure he is on quite a long contract too.

I'm pretty sure one of Yogi's last tasks at Falkirk was signing up Arfield and Scobbie on 5 year deal...

A very insulting bid from Billy Reid & Co....

Ceske Bairn
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Accies are off their tits on smack :faf:

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4379&Itemid=1

H18sry
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Accies are off their tits on smack :faf:

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4379&Itemid=1

A European kit for 1 game :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Arfield is not worth 1 million. :faf:

Ed De Gramo
03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Arfield is not worth 1 million. :faf:

Not far off it....

Hibs90
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Not far off it....

I'd say around the 500k - 800k mark at most.

Cropley10
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
The transfer window reminds me of bidding on eBay, there's abolutely no point in bidding too early as you just invite someone else to outbid you.

If Falkirk want to sell Arfield there are plenty of other clubs with deeper pockets and there's still another 28 days to go...

Sounds like a PR stunt by the Accies to me.

Ed De Gramo
03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd say around the 500k - 800k mark at most.

He's almost as good as Driver (£4m rated :faf:) if not better....and he's far more consistent from the reports I've read....i'd say between 800K and £1m :agree:

ancient hibee
03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
You are right why would Arfield take a step down. If this bid suggests Falkirk are struggling financially then we should be banging down their door for Barr and Arfield. Both young, will only get better and we will make some cash on them. Wouldnt imagine Bairns will sell both at the same time.

Sorry I must be really thick-why does getting a bid for one of your players suggest you are struggling financially?

Ceske Bairn
03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
A European kit for 1 game :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

And now SPL away kit :faf:

BEEJ
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Sorry I must be really thick-why does getting a bid for one of your players suggest you are struggling financially?
I guess the thinking is why would you make such a ridiculously low bid unless you thought that the other club was a little desperate financially.

GreenPJ
03-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't understand why Hamilton have done it to be honest as that figure is never enough for Falkirk to consider selling never mind being a step down, however, its like us bidding for Naysmith. We offered money (never enough) for a player we were never going to get. Is it meant to send a message to the fans who knows.

Either way he won't move to Hamilton and sadly he won't be with us either.

matty_f
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Don't understand why Hamilton have done it to be honest as that figure is never enough for Falkirk to consider selling never mind being a step down, however, its like us bidding for Naysmith. We offered money (never enough) for a player we were never going to get. Is it meant to send a message to the fans who knows.

Either way he won't move to Hamilton and sadly he won't be with us either.

Was our offer not close to being accepted? Sure we outbid the Hun initially, IIRC.

Andy74
04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Good to see them reinvesting the cash they got from McCarthy and Easton :agree: Take note Petrie :devil::duck:

This would be a pretty tiny fraction of any money they have received in, much like Hibs have had to do. Not that it stands a chance of getting accepted even at 3 or 4 times the bid.

O'Brien[11]
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
We should bit 400k start off, and then go as far as 750k, thats nothing compared to what weve made in profit, we paid nowt for fletch and co. and to make that amount of money without putting a percentage of it back in the team is beyond a joke! pay peanuts you get monkeys, instead of buying 3 ***** players can't we buy 1 decent quality, then we can start challenging for cups europe etc, fs why can't the board see this:confused:.

Woody1985
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Very strange.

Rumour has it that Hamilton are next on the list for HMRC after they have finished spitting out Hearts.

Without the sales to England they could be in adminsitration now.

This came from the poster on kickback who told of the action against Hearts.

I'm pretty confident that HRMC could handle two actions at one time and don't need to wait until they've recovered debt from Hearts.

Ritchie
04-08-2009, 11:49 AM

:agree::top marks:agree:

Ritchie
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
This would be a pretty tiny fraction of any money they have received in, much like Hibs have had to do. Not that it stands a chance of getting accepted even at 3 or 4 times the bid.

ssshhhh you! :devil:

Andy74
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
;2118593"]We should bit 400k start off, and then go as far as 750k, thats nothing compared to what weve made in profit, we paid nowt for fletch and co. and to make that amount of money without putting a percentage of it back in the team is beyond a joke! pay peanuts you get monkeys, instead of buying 3 ***** players can't we buy 1 decent quality, then we can start challenging for cups europe etc, fs why can't the board see this:confused:.

It's because the Board have the actual books in frint of them and they can still see an awful lot of red numbers.

Caversham Green
04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
;2118593"]We should bit 400k start off, and then go as far as 750k, thats nothing compared to what weve made in profit, we paid nowt for fletch and co. and to make that amount of money without putting a percentage of it back in the team is beyond a joke! pay peanuts you get monkeys, instead of buying 3 ***** players can't we buy 1 decent quality, then we can start challenging for cups europe etc, fs why can't the board see this:confused:.

:dizzy:

O'Brien[11]
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM

:dizzy:

Fletch and that came through the youth, so just take fletch, brown, thomson, whittaker, thats about 12m just on they 4 alot of clubs don't have that luxury,so how we are on the wavelength of motherwell and teams of that calibre is beyond me:confused:, we should take advantage of this and bring in players of similar quality:confused:

Caversham Green
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
;2118637"]Fletch and that came through the youth, so just take fletch, brown, thomson, whittaker, thats about 12m just on they 4 alot of clubs don't have that luxury,so how we are on the wavelength of motherwell and teams of that calibre is beyond me:confused:, we should take advantage of this and bring in players of similar quality:confused:

As you rightly say, 'we paid nowt' for them. But then you go on to say 'pay peanuts, you get monkeys'.

Can you see the irony there? :wink:

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Arfield would be the sort of player (like Barr, and Naismith) it's worth taking a punt on because of their potential sell-on value. I feel we have to bring through our own stars though, as from such players point of view they might feel that there's little point in those players moving to another SPL club to further their development, when they can stay put and get another season or two under their belt, then the championship or even Premiership.

Andy74
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Arfield would be the sort of player (like Barr, and Naismith) it's worth taking a punt on because of their potential sell-on value. I feel we have to bring through our own stars though, as from such players point of view they might feel that there's little point in those players moving to another SPL club to further their development, when they can stay put and get another season or two under their belt, then the championship or even Premiership.

Interesting quote today from Hughes saying he is unsure whether the young players, in the context of his expectations of where he wants to take Hibs, are good enough to do it.

I think we'll see some moved out on loan and I'd expect the remainder to get maybe a year or two and if they haven't made it they'll be out too.

Maybe one or two will stay to be sold on in 3 to 4 yrs.

I did take it from Hughes comments that to move on as a club we need to be bringing in better players, in the short term at least, and I'd expect some action probably on transfer window day, where we pay cash for a couple of players.

stubru59
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Interesting quote today from Hughes saying he is unsure whether the young players, in the context of his expectations of where he wants to take Hibs, are good enough to do it.

I think we'll see some moved out on loan and I'd expect the remainder to get maybe a year or two and if they haven't made it they'll be out too.

Maybe one or two will stay to be sold on in 3 to 4 yrs.

I did take it from Hughes comments that to move on as a club we need to be bringing in better players, in the short term at least, and I'd expect some action probably on transfer window day, where we pay cash for a couple of players.

Agree. Don't think Hughes is going to fall into the trap of having players stuck on the fringes.