PDA

View Full Version : The New Zealand Haka

Zazu62
01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Good evening.

Was watching the Tri-Nations earlier on Sky Sports today and seen New Zealand perform their legendary Haka, it's amazing! Anyone else think this?

I also think it is a good way to intimidate the opposition, maybe the cabbage should start doing it on Saturdays.

Get yersels on you tube, sorry cant do links! :confused:

kb.

:wink:

Randerson_4
01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Good evening.

Was watching the Tri-Nations earlier on Sky Sports today and seen New Zealand perform their legendary Haka, it's amazing! Anyone else think this?

I also think it is a good way to intimidate the opposition, maybe the cabbage should start doing it on Saturdays.

Get yersels on you tube, sorry cant do links! :confused:

kb.

:wink:

They got beat didnt they? Obviously wasnt too effective!

but yeah its a great sight. Seen in live once too, awesome

Pete
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM
They got beat didnt they? Obviously wasnt too effective!

but yeah its a great sight. Seen in live once too, awesome

I think the "intimidation" factor has long gone because the opposing sides are so used to it. They just use it as an opportunity to perform their own bonding ritual....usually standing on the halfway line and facing up to it as one.

I think it's great as a cultural spectacle and hope it never dies out. The history behind all these dances is fascinating....they're not all about war and aggression.

The samoan, fijian and tongan hakas are all just as spectacular.

Hibs Class
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Yesterday's one looked different to the one they usually do? Not sure if they have different versions of it.

Danderhall Hibs
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Yesterday's one looked different to the one they usually do? Not sure if they have different versions of it.

It’s definitely been changed over the last couple of seasons.

I think it’s more of a pantomime now than intimidation.

sg7nil
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
It's less impressive when you hear the transation!...

Stolen from another website...

Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life

Ka mate Ka mate
It is death It is death

Ka ora Ka ora
It is life It is life

Tenei Te Tangata Puhuruhuru
This is the hairy man

Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra
Who caused the sun to shine again for me

Upane Upane
Up the ladder Up the ladder

Upane Kaupane
Up to the top

Whiti te ra
The sun shines!

The haka is a war dance. The words are chanted loudly (shouted) in a menacing way accompanied by arm actions and foot stamping. A haka was traditionally performed before charging into battle.

The Maori pronunciation is basically one vowel per syllable, with the vowels having the European rather than English sound. The `wh' is aspirated almost like an `f' (f is good enough for most people). As for what it all means, about 140 years ago, a particularly notorious warlike chief named Te Rauparaha of the Ngati Toa tribe (based just North of present day Wellington), was being chased by his enemies. He hid in a kumara pit (the local sweet potato, only much better) and waited in the dark for his pursuers to find him. He heard sounds above and thought he was done for when the top of the pit was opened up and sunshine flooded in. He was blinded and struggled to see those about to slay him, when his sight cleared and he instead saw the hairy legs of the local chief (reputed to have been exceptionally hirsute) who had hid him. Te Rauparaha is said to have jumped from the pit and performed this haka on the spot, so happy was he to have escaped. Undoubtedly, he also had in his mind to do a little pursuing of his own --- Te Rauparaha being that way inclined was he. :wink: :faf:

LancashireHibby
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never really understand people who applaud the Haka, when considering that they've just pledged to kill the side that you've seemingly gone to support!

That said, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgLLEBUPLQ) is what happens when you disrespect it :thumbsup:

DaveF
03-08-2009, 09:07 PM
That said, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgLLEBUPLQ) is what happens when you disrespect it :thumbsup:

I remember watching that game and seeing Mason smashed like that just set the tone. The Kiwis were awesome and that was one the best games of RL I've seen.

LancashireHibby
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I remember watching that game and seeing Mason smashed like that just set the tone. The Kiwis were awesome and that was one the best games of RL I've seen.
I actually watched it in Magaluf - well worth slipping a bribe to the owner of the bar near our hotel to open at 9am so we could watch the game :thumbsup:

Steve-O
04-08-2009, 07:36 AM
It’s definitely been changed over the last couple of seasons.

I think it’s more of a pantomime now than intimidation.

They do have different versions of it. The one from the weekend just gone is generally saved for 'special' occasions. They seem to have dispensed with the throat slitting action at the end of it though :greengrin