PDA

View Full Version : Memories.

Joy Zipper
31-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Here's a few memories of times gone by, feel free to add your own.....

The North stand hibees when they started the "Hibees, thump, thump, thump" chant (once a game).

Dundee United's almost vertical terracing.

Having some half time banter with the people in the flats overlooking the ground above the Gorgie road and at Tynie.

Moving from the terracing to the cowshed when we were shooting down the slope.

Kilbowie park and Douglas park (they were both truly awful!)

Macaroon bars for sale on the terracing (now I am showing my age)

The horrible CS gas night at Easter road v Celtic. That was quite scary - I seem to remember that the ground was very full that night.

People throwing toilet rolls onto the pitch.

The first game under the east stand roof (v's Rangers League Cup semi final 1985 if I remember correctly - we won 2-1 I think).

Finally, the famour scoreboard over the cowshed (did it EVER work ?).

cwilliamson85
31-07-2009, 07:17 AM
The last game in the west stand... Still got my seat under my bed.

Also the game when the roof fell in. crazy time to be in the stand.

iainm
31-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Buying packets of bacon flavour 'snax' biscuit things and packets of orange sweeties with chocolate centres from the 'pie man' who walked around the track during the game.

Aldo
31-07-2009, 07:33 AM
We won two nil that night...Roughie saved an McCoist penalty. Chisholm scored on his debut that night. Lost one nil a Ipox with that superb Cooper Free Kick.

The roof fell in against Smellic did it not. One Nil. We did score but was ruled out after O'Neill ran the length of the pitch, took the flag from the Linesman and put the flag up himself.

Memories for me.....

6-2

85 QF v Smellic when Peirce O Leary blootered his penatly oot the ground.

Boxing day game v RR when we won 5 -1. We had the whole stadium barring a few in the old stand.

Sauzee and Latapy strurring their stuff against the Yams.

Yeah Tablet Macaroon in the east stand.

That night with the CS Gas I was taken under the main stand that night by my brother and friends. I was out for the count. Eyes really bad and was ill for days.

Loads more and could go on and on but

GG

Craig_in_Prague
31-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Gareth Evans putting us in front very early against Celtic, we were either 2 or 3 nil up early on

Yellow bins / rain coats for fans on wet days

Saturday night sportscene

The pink news

2 goals from around half way line

Thouroughly enjoying the 1st division and all the trips

Skol cup semi-final against the huns
Skol cup final

Hunters goal at Tynie to stop that run

The slope

Aldo
31-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Gareth Evans putting us in front very early against Celtic, we were either 2 or 3 nil up early on

The pink news

Skol cup final

The slope

One of my fav papers of all time.

O forgot to mention the 2-1 game at the PBS on NYD when super Stevie out sprinted McPherson and tucked it in the bottom corner. Poured it down the whole game. GIRUYYF :greengrin

banarc7062
31-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Remember our first electronic scoreboard behind the goals. Did not last long if I remember.:greengrin

StevieC
31-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Chant
Booked for being ugly

Atmosphere
Athens (home and away)

Home Game
6-2

Away Game
Skol Cup Final

Away trip
Anderlecht (via Amsterdam)

Goal
Keith Wright against huns .. Goram punches, Weir crosses .. GOAL!

Food
The amount of grease you could aqueeze from a Tannadice pie

pedroorange1875
31-07-2009, 07:52 AM
George Best's first game:agree:

northseahibby
err the macaroon bars
err the spearamint chewing gum..
the fabulous peeble rovers game....:greengrin

RIP
The North stand hibees when they started the "Hibees, thump, thump, thump" chant (once a game).

That corner was like a small tribe of very large cavemen. They had a mixture of long hair, beards, height and girth. In Frankie's case - all 4!!

Joy Zipper
31-07-2009, 08:02 AM
I forgot about the blue disabled vehicles behind the goals at Parkhead :greengrin

malcolm
31-07-2009, 08:04 AM
the old old scoreboard at the corner of the dunbar end - someone climbed up and put up the numbers.

oh he 'excitement' of game A's etc score being revealed bit by bit.....well if you had a programme to know which game was which.:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
31-07-2009, 08:06 AM
The derby games against Hearts...

brog
31-07-2009, 08:23 AM
The derby games against Hearts...

:violin: :thumbsup:

johnrebus
31-07-2009, 08:24 AM
The bridge at Brockville

Alex Cropley running down the wing at Bayview with the ball balanced on his head.

John Brownlie's goal in the '72 League Cup semi V the Huns.

Trying to find Links Park, Montrose.

The atmosphere inside ' The Cave '

The ' mansion ' at Annfield - Striling Albion.

Johnny Hamilton lying steaming accross three 1st class seats on a train coming back from a match at Aberdeen.

Arriving at Cappielow after three different train journeys to find the pitch was waterlogged.

The train journey back to Stirling after the 7-0 game.

Sitting next to the suspended Alex Edwards at Firrhill.

Singing along with Ralph Callachan and Jackie MacNamara at a hotel near Hampden before the Skol Cup triumph.

That'll do for now.

:greengrin

stu in nottingham
31-07-2009, 08:25 AM
These things around the pitch:
http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

The news that Hibs head let Colin Stein go.

The news that Hibs had let Pat Stanton go.

The news that Hibs had signed George Best! :thumbsup:

The news that H*arts had launched a bid to buy out Hibs. :shocked:

IWasThere2016
31-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Killie 8-1

Sauzee free-kick in the final West Stand/First Div game

0-2 to 3-2 inlast ten minutes v Arabs at ER, in early nineties

successive 4-1 wins in Dundee in December 2004 :smug:

Stanton - at all times! :not worth

Latapy, Sauzee, Best, O'Rourke, Blackley, McNamara, the Flying Pig, Budgie, Mickey Weir, Brownlie, Murphy, Sproule

2 x 0-3 v Huns and Ivan's hat-trick!

Deeks homecoming! :top marks

The Skol and CIS Cup Finals :partyhibb

MERCER! :grr:

Kerrplunk
31-07-2009, 08:33 AM
"SWAYS" in the terracing and the general atmosphere.

O how todays generation are missing out.....bring back standing areas!!!

Thigh ar la
31-07-2009, 08:43 AM
The shoddy camera stand on the old terracing. And of course 'waving' to Archie at the same time!
The view to the pitch after climbing the endless steps to the old terracing. The pitch seemed like miles away...

jdships
31-07-2009, 08:50 AM
In the immediate post war years the old boy who walked round the track at the interval carrying a blackboard with the halftime scores written up in chalk.
If it was raining the writing had disappeared before he was halfway round !!

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-07-2009, 08:53 AM
St Middens slag heap away end, that they replace with seats that had to tie yourself onto to stop falling. The Brockville deathtrap. Airdries' novelty stand. Videoton home and away. AEK at home. Winning the title at Firhill. Ivan's 3-0.

Port O'Leaf
31-07-2009, 08:55 AM
1976, I'm 9 years old and standing beside my dad in the East in the middle of a huge crowd, we're playing Rangers.

2 St John's Ambulance men walk down the steps carrying a stretcher with an unconscious Rangers fan on it, his face is burst and he's covered in blood. To my young eyes he looks like he's been murdered, it's the first time I've seen an adult in that state and I'm frightened.

Me: "Dad, what's happened to that man?"

Dad (nonchalantly): "Looks like someone's lamped him son."

I spent the rest of the game nervously looking over my shoulder for some psychotic Florence Nightingale bint in case she mistook me for a Rangers fan.

Happy days.

cwilliamson85
31-07-2009, 09:05 AM
The green popcorn

atticmonkey
31-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Traveling to away matches with Hawkhill branch, Maud in charge, being told scarves off as we approached away ground as it was "a well known trouble spot" even at Brechin and Montrose grounds HAPPY DAYS :greengrin

oregonhibby
31-07-2009, 09:07 AM
The camera stand under the west stand.

The half time scoreboard - match the alphabet with the scores

Changing ends in the enclosure under the west stand.

Arriving late for a celtic game and going in to the wrong end of the enclosure and reacting when Gordon Rae scored against them!

Ralphy's mazy run beating everyone in the stadium to score against - Dundee if I remember correctly (might be wrong as I am getting older!)

FC Besa, Sporting Lisbon and Leeds United. Liverpool!!

and many more.....

down the slope
31-07-2009, 09:15 AM
The north stand hibees starting the thump against the Rangers-we got beaten but should have won had John Madsen not let a header skiff off his nut, we knew something good was happening-it was the start off the Turnbull era.
The day that they made you buy a programme to find out the half time scores-nearly a riot and Waugh quickly had them read out.
The Napoli night which i doubt we will ever see the likes of again, it made you feel good for weeks after.

blackpoolhibs
31-07-2009, 09:20 AM
The european games in the 70s, especially sporting lisbon. The atmosphere that night was electric, leeds and AEK were special, but sporting lisbon for me was the best.:thumbsup:

The Big No.9
31-07-2009, 09:21 AM
The sway when barry Lavety scored the winner against Morton deep into injury time, first game after we had gone down, i swear at one point my feet were not on the ground.

6-2

I'll also go with the Pink, god i miss that paper

The quiz in the Program at half time, quid a head with my mates, winner gets all.

Boxing day game (i think) against Dundee Utd, one nil down, won four one, some great goals.

The we are unbeatable derby.......not aafter that.

Albert Kid

kaimendhibs
macaroon bars
the 3 games v rangers in scottish cup final
getting excited at seeing bbc or stv vans behind east terracing before game
awful news my hero pat stanton was leaving for celtic
league cup final win against celtic, pars and killie
eurogames against liverpool, juventos,athens and many others
beastie asking me for pie and bovril at hamilton
6-2 game
ivans hat trick at ibrox

Bobo
Pat Stanton's penalty miss v Leeds.

Alan Gordon's header (the last goal in the 0-7 match).

Stanton's late equaliser at Tynie.

Fat Joe Harper's goal against Liverpool & Brownlie's penalty miss that would have put us two up.

A goal against Motherwell (in the early 80's) playing down the slope, we hit the bar 4 times in 10 seconds before Kano blasted the ball in.

"Rent a Crowd".... The big guy that used to stand on the terracing and sing "Oh Hibby Hibby, Hibby Hibby Hibby Hibby er ni an in" the loudest voice you've ever heard :greengrin

Auckland Hibs
31-07-2009, 09:28 AM
The Pink on the bus heading home from ER (via The Nip).

Travelling on the IEC to games in Sheep-land.

Watching us beat Dundee Utd at the PBS in the Semi.

Us getting beaten 1-0 at the PBS by Aberdeen in the Cup, but watching the ASC take the biggest kick-in next to Robbo's Bar (under the bridge) afterwards.

Games at Partick Thistle, 2-2 scoreline how many times?

Us beating Partick Thistle mid-week in the Cup.

Us beating Aberdeen in the Cup in pen shoot-out (Harper scored the winning pen in-off the right-hand post.

Hunter's goal at the PBS.

Touching the metal-bar at the gate after walking down the stairs from the East Terrace after a win, or a draw, but never after a loss.

I could go on all night.....Oooh to be a HIBEE ! ! ! :greengrin

Seany HFC 7-0
31-07-2009, 09:33 AM

The pink news

Skol cup final

The slope

Class :agree::top marks

Frazerbob
31-07-2009, 09:45 AM
The climb over the hill to get to the Beach End at Pitodrie.

Pitodrie with a tiny band of Hibs fans surrounded by Sheep when they had just won the ECWC. We got horsed 5-0 I think.

Snowballs at Tanadice

The crush getting to the turnstyles at the old Gorgie Road terrace.

Thinking there was a MacDonalds at the back the Gorgie Road terrace when it was actually just an advertising board above the pie stand.

Anderecht away and Fish in his green tartan suit.

Watching 9/11 unfold on Sky News in a pub full of Hibs fans on Aegina Island.

My Mum phoning me at 9am whilst very hungover in Aegina to let me know the AEK game had been cancelled then telling my mates in the other rooms who thought I was at the wind-up.

Frazerbob
31-07-2009, 09:48 AM
The Pink on the bus heading home from ER (via The Nip).

Travelling on the IEC to games in Sheep-land.

Watching us beat Dundee Utd at the PBS in the Semi.

Us getting beaten 1-0 at the PBS by Aberdeen in the Cup, but watching the ASC take the biggest kick-in next to Robbo's Bar (under the bridge) afterwards.

Games at Partick Thistle, 2-2 scoreline how many times?

Us beating Partick Thistle mid-week in the Cup.

Us beating Aberdeen in the Cup in pen shoot-out (Harper scored the winning pen in-off the right-hand post.

Hunter's goal at the PBS.

Touching the metal-bar at the gate after walking down the stairs from the East Terrace after a win, or a draw, but never after a loss.

I could go on all night.....Oooh to be a HIBEE ! ! ! :greengrin

The "early" final whistle when everyone went mental, including the players.

lyonhibs
31-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Those toilets in the Old West Stand. Corrugated Iron hell.

The day the West North Upper apparently "moved" - cue a swifter than usual evacuation at the end of the game.

The old "No Foul Language" sign (or something similar) in the Old West Stand.

The Old West Stand PA system - frequently only audible to dogs with Razor sharp hearing, and always sound quality that gave the impression the PA guy was speaking to us through a baked bean can on a string from the bottom of the Marina Trench.

My Dad - taking me to the fitba through love of me, not the football itself - sitting behind a pillar in the Old West reading Proust instead of watching the game :faf:

As a 14 year old, joyously flicking the vickkies and other associated hand signals from the West South Lower up at a mass of disgruntled Huns at the end of a 1-0 game with Miller scoring the winning goal.

My Dad - again, not really getting it - loudly shouting "YES" when Clyde got their consolation goal in the 6-1 Cup thrashing we gave them a good few years ago - even Matty Jack scored IIRC!!!

Auckland Hibs
31-07-2009, 09:56 AM
The "early" final whistle when everyone went mental, including the players.

Yeah :agree: and Willie Millers tackle on Malpas, near killed him without even a Yellow card from the Ref :grr: :devil:

Viva_Palmeiras
31-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Cleo Roccos what a pair...

oh memories!

Houchy hitting the post from the penalty spot against (Anderlecht?)
Mitchells looping header (seemed to loop forever)

Witnessing Broony and KT warm-up before the rangers game (in which we won and KT scores) realising we had something special and just lapped it all up cos I knew it was only temporary. The sun was shining they were laughing and doing keepie-uppie, a real sense we could take on the old firm in one-off games

Crying as the sun shone on Leith and we were still in with a shout but we got relegated by United.

Billychaotic182
31-07-2009, 10:53 AM
When we defeated Rangers in the CIS Cup semi on penaltys

MSK
31-07-2009, 11:25 AM
What a great thread ..refreshing tae read ...:thumbsup:

The massive steps up to the top of the East terrace ..

The smell of pipe/cigar tobacco filling the air ..

The turnstyles & getting a push through if i was lucky..

The old West stand chanting "hibees" whilst stamping their feet ..very rousing indeed...

Shades thundering into tackles...

Scottish cup final v rangers 78-79

George Best's home debut v Partick..

Skol cup final v Dunfermline...seeing grown men cry..

League cup win v Kilmarnock...seeing grown men cry again..esp the auld father in law..

The atmosphere v AEK Athens ...unbelievable..

6-2 over the yams ..

Football specials ...

Viva_Palmeiras
31-07-2009, 11:43 AM
The jinx buster!

joe t
31-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Ricky Regina's programme hut.

Being able to freely walk from the south part of the terracing into the cowshed depending if we were shooting down the slope or not. (and getting through to the away end for european matches as well).

The corner part of the terracing between the east and the famous five that's no longer there.

The honkin' toilets on the terracing at Brockville.

Houchy attempting to kick tommy turners leg off at McDiarmid Park and giving the vickys at Stair Park.

gettin crushed against the gates at the front of the terracing from the sways when Kano and Eddie May scored against the Jumbos at Easter Road

The yellow pac a mac away fans at Easter Road when the seats were in and there was no cover.

Running battles across the bridge at Pittodrie.

Smashed windows on the buses in the midweek Cup match at Firhill.

Campbell Money running into his own goal post and knocking himself out on Boxing day at Easter Road.

Shouting abuse at Jock Brown and Gerry McNee when they used to nip out for a pee from the gantry above the east.

hibbykeef
31-07-2009, 12:47 PM
i remember loads of turban wearing fans at ER when i was a lad(or did i imagine it).

Miner hats

scarves down to ma knees full of badges:greengrin

iwasthere1972
31-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Queuing up for 10 minutes to buy a couple of pies for me and my brother in the east terracing about 1985 to be met with the following words when it was my time to order.

"WE ONLY SELL PROGRAMMES" :doh:

JackRegan
31-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Away games at 3pm on a Saturday

Pipe smoke. :greengrin

Melodic singing - On Celtic TV when showing games from the 60's the singing actually was singing, not chanting to a tune. Kinda like "Frank Sinatra sings the Rebs"

Changing ends at CP and walking from the Celtic end to the Rangers end, excpet obviously against the huns.

Going to grounds like Broomfield, Cappielow, the old Love Street.

Leaving at 8am to go to Aberdeen.

Auld Betty who stood at the corner flag at CP with her Celtic Teddy bear, she ran a supporters buss and put juice, crisps and sandwiches on for the Bhoys on her bus. RIP Betty.

Barnies on Easter Road in the 80's. :greengrin

Bigger Barnies on Gorgie Road, again in the 80's.

Rival gangs fighting for "control" over The Jungle in the 70's. Fighting to see who were the biggest tims. Madness.

Big scarves with sew on patches.

Wristbands.

Seeing graffitti of umpteen teams in the bogs at away grounds. Away end at Easter Road was the best for this, with a massive "Ayr united" bit of graffitti.

Crackling tannoy systems with barely audible music, as opposed to the ear shattering sound rigs we get today.

The walk and sing song back to Chesser Avenue from Tynecastle after gubbing Hearts.

Getting one third of the Govan Stand at ibrox in the early 80's

European nights at the old Celtic Park.

Ah nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

brog
31-07-2009, 01:40 PM
i remember loads of turban wearing fans at ER when i was a lad(or did i imagine it).

Miner hats

scarves down to ma knees full of badges:greengrin

I was talking about this recently. Was in 70's I think, we used to have a lot of the Leith Sikh community turn up at Easter Road. There's a marketing opportunity there.

Frazerbob
31-07-2009, 01:51 PM
[B]

I was talking about this recently. Was in 70's I think, we used to have a lot of the Leith Sikh community turn up at Easter Road. There's a marketing opportunity there.

At the Pars game the other week I heard a 40 year old Hibby sat behind me come out with some outragous racism directed at one of our own players, then there was the Edinburgh song being belted out by a full East Port Bar after the game. I'd genuinely fear for any Sikhs who came to ER. It could get embarassing in the extreme. It really saddens me to type that as I'd love for more of Edinburgh's minoity communities to come along. I love seeing the Polish Hibs flag at the games for example.

Did the club not have a bit of a charm offensive a few years back to try to attract more of the Asian communities along?

Jack
31-07-2009, 02:06 PM
The game against Juventus and Alex Edwards ending up up side down in our net having made an overhead goal line clearance.

Going over the Crawford Bridge at big games like that and your feet not touching the ground.

Playing Manchester United in a friendly when just about every other ground in the UK was frozen.

Alex Edwards and Tommy Mclean (??? Maybe it was Jimmy Johnstone, it was a smelly weegie anyway) running alongside each other knocking seven shades of **** out each other – Mr Edwards won!

… and talking of Shades. Erich Schaedler chasing folk down on the wing – I swear you could almost here them squeak!

Arthur Montford quote as they came out the tunnel “… and look at the thighs on Jim O’Rourke.”

Arthur Duncan signing autographs and having a chat with the punters on the half way line at kick off. Particularly the time he was still there a couple of minutes into the game!!!!!

Scoring 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 goals in a game.

1950's hibbie
31-07-2009, 02:11 PM
My memories although fading go back a wee bit further, Jimmy Kerr in goal, Davie Shaw at full back, Sammy Keane, Peter Aird, Wullie Peat, Wullie Finnegan, Archie Buchanan, young fellies just coming in to the game one was called Smith then there was a Reilly, I seem to remember there were another couple called Turnbull, Johnson and Ormond. Hugh Howie was pretty good just likeJock Govan. The best part was you knew the games would be at 2.00pm in the middle of the season and 3.00pm when the afternoons were longer. They were always on Saturday so you could plan your season. Nae computers so if you wanted banter you done it in the pub face to face, and it could end wi fist to face if you said some of the things that are said here.

Cup games at whatever stage were exciting. Guys outside the ground selling green and white rosettes, shouting "support your team and wear their colours.". There was no administration threats, it would have killed both sets of Edinburgh supporters if the other team went out of business, the derbies were the games of the season especially the Ne'er Day game. Yes not any specific games to reminisce on just the general great atmosphere, big crowds and quality players. I can't and won't say its not as good now, its just different

Billychaotic182
31-07-2009, 02:59 PM
two of my faves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_XtzN1hXI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgeZlx1VO8

heretoday
31-07-2009, 03:16 PM
"Beware of Pickpockets." The Bandparts advert in the programme. Willie Hamilton.

FranckSuzy
31-07-2009, 03:29 PM
'Eric Schaedler tackles like a tank' badge on big bro's scarf, followed by
a 'Hibs go into Europe, Hearts go to Butlins' one

"I would have ****g*d you but you're a fenian" classic from 'Gers fan outside Middletons

Sportscene on a Saturday night and the juke box got turned off for it

"There's only 2 Andy Goram's"

"If you cannae kick it, then eat it" chants to Stevie Fulton

"You got booked for being ugly" chant to the above

Maude and the pontoon tickets on the Hawkhill bus

Walking round the pitch with Jukebox for charity, organised by the Hibs kids

Dancing with Boozy, who was wearing a green sombrero, in the Hibs club after we qualified for Europe

'86 v Dundee Utd. The Mexican wave and laughter when news filtered through from Dens

CS gas incident :boo hoo:

Tomsk
31-07-2009, 03:32 PM
The frustration felt after beating Liverpool at ER 1-0 and knowing it should have been more.

Jose Altafini coming off the bench for Juventos to rip us up for ersepaper.

The 3 Degrees on the tannoy -- When will I see you again

Tannoys!

Waiting outside the centre stand for players' autographs.

The length of shorts going down, then up again, and then back down again.

Never seeing Hibs lose to Hearts until 1983 :agree:

Frazerbob
31-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Christmas parties in the 50 Club accross from the centre stand and in the Hibs Club.

The old shops in the main stand and on Easter Road that were about the same size as a toilet cubicle.

Douglas Crombe wishing us all a safe trip & telling us to behave on the convoy of busses before we left ER for Brussels in 1992, then the rammy as dozens of reeking Hibs fans pillaged Washington Services a couple of hours later.

Hibby_Huddy
31-07-2009, 03:41 PM
ahhh....

Waiting outside the newsagent for the pink at approx 6pm (and when i got older waiting in the pub).

Seeing the main stand at starks park when you got the train over.

The skol cup (the league cup was taken seriously back in those days).

Broomfield (although we seemed to get beat all the time but it seemed like a real old-school stadium).

Trying to stay awake for sportscene when we'd won.

Eating sunday dinner whilst watching scotsport.

Getting wet at uncovered away ends.

Terracing.

Fanzines.

Scotland playing in world cups.

The thrill of seeing the new strip (cos it came out every 3 years).

The hibs shop on easter road.

Walking down from my work at waterloo place at lunchtime to get tickets.

Matchstick men dancing on the scoreboard above the cowshed when a hat-trick was scored,

The Cowshed

The Enclosure

:boo hoo:

MSK
31-07-2009, 04:46 PM
ahhh....

Waiting outside the newsagent for the pink at approx 6pm (and when i got older waiting in the pub).

I loved the pink news....always an excuse (after marriage) to hang on for a few pints after the game ...i never read it straight away though ..i glanced the front page..glanced the back page then rolled it up & stuck it intae the back pocket till i got home so i could read it over tea....:greengrin

Golden Bear
31-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Hibernian 2 Real Madrid 0. My first ever Hibs game and I've been hooked ever since.

The High terracing - a great viewing place for the inevitable half time pitched battles when rival fans met as they were "changing ends" at half time.

Big Eck (the Hibby) & wee Boab (the jambo) - cartoon characters in the Saturday night sports newspapers (was it the Pink or the green?)

Turnbull's Tornadoes - a simply wonderful football team who should have won far more than they actually achieved.

The return of the legendary Joe Baker to Easter Road and the white boots he wore (only GREAT players get off with wearing white boots:wink:)

And I'm afraid ------- last season, - simply because I've never witnessed so many dire & extremely boring performances by the men in green. Hopefully better times are ahead!

ancient hibee
31-07-2009, 05:50 PM
The Green Dispatch.

Programmes that had the teams in them.

Sinking up to your knees in the shale on the old terracing when it rained.

Treating myself to a seat in the old stand(north end of course)for the first time.

Getting in for a game against St.Mirren just as we kicked off.Cheering our 90th minute winning goal and finding out when I bought the Pink that it was the equaliser as St.Mirren had scored before I got in.

Watching Willie Hamilton play.

Too many European nights to list(win orlose).

Realising early on in the League Cup final against Celtic that we were streets ahead of them and were going to win.

The last goal of Lawrie Reilly's last hat trick(against Falkirk).

GreenCastle
31-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Being sent to the corner shop to get the pink by the oldman at 5.55pm.

Partick Thistle home game floodlight failure.

6-2

Chic Charnley scoring against Celtic - Henrik Larsson's 1st game in Scotland.

That purple and green strip.

Throwing a bog roll onto the field from the Famous Five stand when the teams came out once.

Sitting in the family enclosure in the old West Stand lower.

The spanking we gave the yams when we had no stands behind the North and South ends of the stadium.

Missing the 2nd goal at the Skol Cup Final in 91 as I was getting a pie.

The celebrations down ER after winning the Skol Cup Final.

The atmosphere against AEK Athens - one of the best ever at ER.

Getting excited when I got my Hibs kids birthday card.

Zimmy
31-07-2009, 06:02 PM
The size of the crowd and the height of the east terrace on my first game at ER (v Huns 65).
Seeing Pat Quinn score three goals at Tynie.
Shaking hands with all the Hibs team after the 0-7 Derby.
Walking into grounds with two cans of lager tucked in your waistband.
Joe Baker's return to ER.
All the big Euro nights.
Watching great players like Wullie Hamilton, Baker, Martin, Cormack, Stevenson and most of all Big Bad John :not worth.
The Tornados.
The "toilets" at Tynie.
Scotsport.
Pink news
Willie MacFarlane.

fergal7
31-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The first time I walked up the slope to the Dunbar end and see the ground for the first time. It was a lovely sunny day. We won 3-2 against Falkirk. Probably the only thing I can remember as an eight year old.

Terracings littered with rusty tin openers.

Drunk guys with banners made from subbuteo pitches.

Making fires on the terracing to keep warm.

john18722
31-07-2009, 06:34 PM

The pink news

Skol cup final

The slope

Im the same age as you and those are exactly my main memories of Hibs growing up! Barry Lavety at Cappielow winning the game in the last minute for the first match in Division One

Seeing Andy Dow score on his debut at Tynecastle on my first ever visit there and getting nailed into the fences surrounding the pitch as everyone went mental on the little benches which had been put in on the terracing at the Gorgie Road end.

Crying when McCoist scored that overhead kick in the League Cup Final 94

john18722
31-07-2009, 06:36 PM
An Anderlecht fan asking me if i wanted to swap scarfs with him at Easter Road. He was sitting below me in the Main Stand and my Dad had just bought me my first ever Hibs scarf and there was no way I would have swapped with him. I still have my first ever scarf and still wear it to the games so im glad i didnt swap it!

cwilliamson85
31-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I keep trying to find links to online videos of the athens game but cant find ny... can anyone help?

Keith_M
31-07-2009, 06:54 PM
We did score but was ruled out after O'Neill ran the length of the pitch, took the flag from the Linesman and put the flag up himself.

Ouch, that brought a tear to my eye, and not with nostalgia....

SquashedFrogg
31-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Pipe bands on the pitch at big matches. You knew it was getting near half time when you heard them warming up. :trumpet:

Also Budgie walking on his hands as part of his warm-up routine. :crazy::not worth

hibsbollah
31-07-2009, 07:04 PM
George Best's first game:agree:

:agree:Thats mine:agree:

gringojoe
31-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Kicking the empty cans and bottles along the terracing on the way out.
Melting some guys brown nylon trousers when the tip of my ciggie hit them.
Breaking a tooth on a pie, think I got a hoof!

Baader
31-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Climbing up the old wooden steps as a young boy to take my seat in the old North stand.

Willie Irvine when it seemed for a bit he couldn't stop scoring!

Gordon Durie's debut (I was mascot!)

Eddie May getting the winner in a great 4-3 win over Celtic and the guys over from us who were Celtic fans getting it tight for dishing it out to us when they were ahead.

Standing in the rain to watch Archibald thundering past Henry Smith to bet the Yams at Tynie. Place went absolutely mental!

Watching a fat Jambo getting arrested for rising to the taunts of a bunch of Hibs boys he started shouting and swearing at on the terracing at Tynie. He was in the main stand and lost it after trying to wind them up. Cheers and laughs as he was led out of the ground by the polis. Would've been late 1980s...

Going to my first away match without parental accompaniment aged 16 and surprisingly geeting served in a pub in Cowdenbeath. Being too pi$$ed to actually remember the score on the way home! (A 0-0 shocker I'm told!)

Being at the very back of the Famous Five for the best game I've seen which finished 6-2. The thumping of the metal panels behind us as Russel brought the house down with the goal of the game. Although concrete, I swear that stand was moving that night!

Meeting my friends outside The Four in Hand after the same match and celebrating. Walking into town to find a pub we could get in as all the ones around the stadium were rammed full.

Holding back the tears singing Sunshine on Leith with the Hibbys in The Crown & Cushion after we were relegated. Seemed nobody spoke for the first hour.

Being back in there signing the same song after a win in our first season's return to the top flight on a much happier occasion and thinking how much you have to enjoy the good days to make being a Hibby worthwhile!

Watching Franck score his first goal, at ER, with an absolute rocket of a volley from a Russel corner. Whipped of the top swung it around his head and promptly got booked!

Oops! Getting a bit carried away here! :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
31-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I keep trying to find links to online videos of the athens game but cant find ny... can anyone help?

I have the Video - non stop singing the whole game - before and after. Stadium full of Hibees except lower corner of South where there was some mental Greeks.

esjorto
31-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Joe Baker's first game for Hibs. 17 years old and ran riotin a mid week friendly.Joe scoring all four as we beat Hearts at Tynie in the Cup (was as good as winning the thing!)
Hibs v Barcelona.
Hibs v Real Madrid.
Was a wee bit young but do remember the Famous Five and winning the league.
The disappointment of going back and losing to Livingston in the final.
The sheer joy of going back and beating Killie with no little style and crying at the end when the Hibbies did Sunshine on Leith.
Pat Stanton.
Russell Latapy.
Going to Scotland games and seeing the likes of Reilly, Johnstone, Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnston, John White, DENIS LAW. World class, all of them.
Getting soaked week after week.
The huge crowds and being too wee to see very much.
The thrill of going to an away park for the first time..............

Joy Zipper
31-07-2009, 10:17 PM
The first time I walked up the slope to the Dunbar end and see the ground for the first time. It was a lovely sunny day. We won 3-2 against Falkirk. Probably the only thing I can remember as an eight year old.

Terracings littered with rusty tin openers.

Drunk guys with banners made from subbuteo pitches.

Making fires on the terracing to keep warm.

:shocked::shocked::shocked: Really ?

iwasthere1972
31-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I have the Video - non stop singing the whole game - before and after. Stadium full of Hibees except lower corner of South where there was some mental Greeks.

Any chance of getting the best bits online somewhere.

Like a previous poster I've been searching on and off for some footage of the game without success.

It would be great to see. :agree:

Joy Zipper
31-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Ricky Regina's programme hut.

Being able to freely walk from the south part of the terracing into the cowshed depending if we were shooting down the slope or not. (and getting through to the away end for european matches as well).

The corner part of the terracing between the east and the famous five that's no longer there.
The honkin' toilets on the terracing at Brockville.

Houchy attempting to kick tommy turners leg off at McDiarmid Park and giving the vickys at Stair Park.

gettin crushed against the gates at the front of the terracing from the sways when Kano and Eddie May scored against the Jumbos at Easter Road

The yellow pac a mac away fans at Easter Road when the seats were in and there was no cover.

Running battles across the bridge at Pittodrie.

Smashed windows on the buses in the midweek Cup match at Firhill.

Campbell Money running into his own goal post and knocking himself out on Boxing day at Easter Road.

Shouting abuse at Jock Brown and Gerry McNee when they used to nip out for a pee from the gantry above the east.

I seem to remember it was a very good attempt. Nearly broke his leg ! If you're going to get sent off, do it properly !

GreenCastle
31-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Any chance of getting the best bits online somewhere.

Like a previous poster I've been searching on and off for some footage of the game without success.

It would be great to see. :agree:

It's in the UK...I'm in the USA!!

I'm sure someone else will have the VHS of it somewhere ?

The Zitelli goal alone is immense! Lets not forgot Paca Luna's headed miss in the last minute :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
31-07-2009, 10:32 PM
It's in the UK...I'm in the USA!!

I'm sure someone else will have the VHS of it somewhere ?

The Zitelli goal alone is immense! Lets not forgot Paca Luna's headed miss in the last minute :boo hoo:

Cheers. Hopefully the new thread I have put up will produce something.

Fingers crossed.

Criswell
31-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Alan Gordon being driven round the pitch in a small dumper truck displaying the newly won League Cup in 1973.

Buying my first ever season ticket to sit in the new North Stand in 1995 ( I think)

Going to the Skol Cup final in 1991 and literally having the gate shut in my face -because Hampden was "full", then having to watch the game in a Glasgow boozer.

Pete
31-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Inflatable bananas. They were everywhere for some reason!

The sways. Brilliant at the time...but scary when you think back.

Sitting on the bars of the terracing when you were young.

The "scarf-holding" at half time....or twirling if you were that way inclined. To be honest they both looked great when it was terracing.

fergal7
01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
:shocked::shocked::shocked: Really ?

Oh Yes............ a few newspapers and you could get a good blaze going. I wish I was young again!

fergal7
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Heres another one,

Who has had their Hibs scarf stolen from another Hibby at ER?

I must have been about 10.. in the bogs at the Dunbar end. some wideo just takes my scarf cos i was wee.... told my mates up in the east terr, caught them behind the shed.. a burst mooth and I got my scarf back....

kirky hibs
01-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Getting a lift over to get in free

brownlies leg break

bigwheel
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Standing in a mobbed Dunbar end for the leeds game as it went to Penalities

The smell of Linament in the air for mid week games - anyone else remember that?

Side by side with Celtic and rangers fans in the old terracing with sways and scuffles...and police trying to keep us apart

A massive crush outside Bayview, before we got horsed out of the Scottish Cup 2 nil....

Jim Herriot putting mud under his eyes

Supermac scraping "guide" lines on his six yard box

The excitement building in me wee chest as I walked up the stairs of the terracing before each game

Isaac Refvik

Bob Box Fish
01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Beating hearts 3 nil when stadium was getting re-built and singing we'll meet again.

Luna missing that header in last min vs a e k from 6 yards to win tie.

Beating hearts 2-1 days after losing 0-7 vs Huns.

4-4 at tynie and my mates jacket ripping right up the back when he jumped as we scored as was caught in his seat.

Winning 5-1 at tannadice with 5k hibbies at the match.

Sprouleflyer
01-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Tripping over my knitted Hibs scarf when I was 10 in the old North Enclosure.

Watching Hibs beat Celtic 4-1 from the North Enclosure, Tommy Burns mising a penalty.

Celtic fans invading the pitch that same game.

Watching Hibs fans on the East Terracing wade into Morton supporters on the top section and greeting with relief when Hibs scored an equaliser in the dying minutes in the same game.

8-1 against Kilmarnock.

Skol cup semi at Ibrox, getting in just on time to see Davie Cooper score a free kick, then watch the whole end fill up with Hibs fans, which was bouncing at full time.

Hibs fans making the away end at Killie bounce just after Tam Mcmanus scored a last minute winner in the SC.

The pie/sweet sellers that used to walk round the pitch.

Endless derby defeats :boo hoo:

skipster7
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Im the same age as you and those are exactly my main memories of Hibs growing up! Barry Lavety at Cappielow winning the game in the last minute for the first match in Division One

Seeing Andy Dow score on his debut at Tynecastle on my first ever visit there and getting nailed into the fences surrounding the pitch as everyone went mental on the little benches which had been put in on the terracing at the Gorgie Road end.

Crying when McCoist scored that overhead kick in the League Cup Final 94

me and my mate being on the front page of the evening news the day after the "McCoist cup final " as "dejected hibs fans sitting on the terracing" when in reality we were steaming.:wink:

dodging of a temp job on sat lunchtime for the CS gas game thinking i wouldn't be missed.

first away game at tynie about 82, introduction to robbo:boo hoo: 3-2 defeat

clydebank away midweek, bus windows panned in but kano scored 2 in a 4-2 win so all was well.

beating clydbank 5-0 at ER in the league only to go out of the cup to them a week later at kilbowie:confused:

trying to make a vhs tape with all the hibs goals (even 30 second clips from reporting scotland)

all the cup finals

DirtyDeeds
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
early memory, game against der Hun, who were parading summer signing Basil Boli. He was promptly torn apart by wee Kevin Harper and was finally given his second booking for almost sticking him in the 3rd row of the old stand next to me and my old boy. Pretty sure Harper scored a nice wee header in a 2-1 win.

CIS penalty win against Rangers, full day in Glasgow on the sauce, completely outnumbered by them at Hampden, ended up at the bottom of the stairs in a 12 man pile-up celebrating Dobbie's equaliser. On the train, off at Haymarket, into Establishment for 50p drinks. Oh dear god. The Friday was the finest hangover ever

The period between the end of the 90 and start of extra-time against AEK, a genuine hairs on the back of the neck moment during S.O.L.

And a home cup match against Motherwell i think, wee Harper pegs it down the wing and puts in the only decent cross of his Hibs career, Mikey O'Neill doesnt even break his stride and sticks it in the top bag on the volley from edge of the box, stunning goal. Loved O'Neill, could have played at any level if he really wanted it

sleeping giant
01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Its hard to think something thats not been mentioned...

So , i give you .....Playing football with a tied up scarf on the dance floor in the Hibs club.

Those gambling ticket things (cannot remember what they are called) where you tore 3 strips off to reveal fruit machine style winnings. Cost 10p IIRC.

ronaldo7
01-08-2009, 11:10 AM
1/1/73 when the Hawrts fans turned round and went home after coming in late:thumbsup:

Napoli, Leeds, Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Anderlecht, AEK, Dnipro, all great nights

Ma Wilsons on Albert street after we beat Celt with Eddie May making an appearance.

Hands off Hibs and VICTORY

Reekin in Brechin.

League cup against Celtc and seeing a cup lifted for my first time... 14 year old and on my auld mans shoulders just to see Paddy lift the cup :thumbsup:

Skol Cup and Cis cup.

Hey mister can a get a liftover.

Belfast and Dublin this year:thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Football specials to Aberdeen

Benny getting a hattrick against Celtc in a friendly

Bobby Thompson taking out the linesman

Putting Celtc out both cups in the same season in the mid eighties

The Archiegoal at Tynecastle

O'Connor's last minute winner against the yams

Cow tipping at McDiarmid park :faf:

MSK
01-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Tortolano putting Strachan intae the West stand ...:greengrin

Walking through the streets of Berwick Upon Tweed from train station to the ground under police escort ....wearing my black "trench" coat then being subsequently disowned by my big Brother because of said coat ...:embarrass

CapitalHibs
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Dire League game against Airdrie at ER in the 60's. Ball goes over the terracing wall when this punter grabs it and runs (I kid you not) all the way to the top of the old terracing and throws the ball over the tip down into the auld parking lot.

Biggest cheer of the day, as the old west standites rose as one and roared their approval.:greengrin

Killiehibbie
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Lining up on the wall at the old car park with about 6 stewards telling us all to get down then about 30 of us charging past them to get in.

joe t
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Goram scoring against Morton.

Watching the Stenny Scottish Cup match on a big screen at Murrayfield ice rink.

John Petrie from the Southern Branch taking shots against Goram on Scotsport (but not scoring)

cwilliamson85
02-08-2009, 02:28 AM

I was there. FF upper tier. just wanted to see some highlights of it. remembering the miss from Luna always make me think of what if he kept it down...

Littlest Hobo
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Climbing up the pylon like floodlights to get a better view.:thumbsup:

Watching folk give their pals a footie up to get over the wall.

Some folk would even wear Hibs sweat bands around their wrist to show their support :greengrin

Used to love watching the crowd going absolute mental when we scored. It just looked better back then.

I remember grabbing my wee brothers hand and running like hell all the way home after the gas attack against smeltic. ****bags!:grr:

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Climbing up the pylon like floodlights to get a better view.:thumbsup:

Watching folk give their pals a footie up to get over the wall.

Some folk would even wear Hibs sweat bands around their wrist to show their support :greengrin

Used to love watching the crowd going absolute mental when we scored. It just looked better back then.

I remember grabbing my wee brothers hand and running like hell all the way home after the gas attack against smeltic. ****bags!:grr:

Some people would even tie their scarfs round their wrists, that coupled with a black harrington jacket looked very cool.:wink: Bombay bob from the lancashire hibs still does it to this day, i wish i was as cool as he is.:greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Ross Campbell scoring against English opposition in pre season games. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
02-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Most of them have probably been mentioned but here goes.

Saturday morning (7 hours before kick-off) Out the door before the parents got up to meet up with the mates for the norm couple of hours fitba in the park.

One O'clock. Up the road to get the bus with my Hibs scarf wrapped around my neck 6 times so it wouldn't dangle on the floor. Told my "scarf knitting" aunt that she wouldn't need 32 balls of green and 32 balls of white wool but she wouldn't listen.

Pre-match. Ice Cream at Toni's and off to play on the swings and roundabout at the park near Easter Road. Well I was only 11 or 12 at the time.

"Please mister could you give me a lift over".

Sitting in the shed singing songs that would get you a life ban nowadays. As I said I was only 11 or 12 at the time and didn't know better.

Some guys from Royston trying to "dob in" me and my mates. They did this frequently even though they were Hibs supporters as well. They must have been crap because I can't recall ever being punched. They were all talk.

Trying to borrow a programme when the half time scores were put up on the scoreboard in the Dunbar End. A:2-0 B:3-1 etc.

Singing "We've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got the best team in the land". Went right through the team and finished off with Eric Stevenson number 11.

Eating 5 mince pies during one game and I ain't a fatty either. :greengrin

Fish and chips after the match at the chippie in Albert Street.

Amazed that the "Pink Paper" was already in the shops with match results although it was only an hour since the final whistle was blown.

Being at Easter Road and seeing Jack Charlton score "that goal" that knocked us out the Fairs Cup. :grr:

Again at Easter Road when Leeds beat us on penalties to knock us out the UEFA Cup. IIRC we were trying to get the match replayed as Don Revie was on the pitch when the penalties were being taken. That didn't work and we may have even asked for a replay on the grounds that the refs whistle was out of tune. :wink:

That glorious night watching from high up in the East terracing our boys ripping Dino Zoff and his Napoli team mates apart. 5-0 one of my favourite memories.

Sneaking out my home (I was only 10 or 11 and my dad didn't want me to go to Glasgow) to travel through to Ibrox. We won 3-1 that day and although I was in the "Rangers End" I still cheered every goal as they went in. One female hun was giving me some funny looks. How do I know she was a woman? Easy...her beard was trimmed. :agree:

The day Bobby Duncan got his leg broken in the game against Celtic. :boo hoo:

1972 and 2007 Diddy Cup Finals. Both great days although I remember the latter one more clearly. 1972 was unfortunately over too quickly although I do remember Paddy lifting the cup and the celebrations in Edinburgh afterwards.

Being at Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final and being turned over 6-0 by Celtic. Think there were 106,000 at that game and the majority wanted to go fighting. What an atmosphere. Shame about the result. :grr:

Being chased by Dons fans near the harbour in Aberdeen at midnight after we drew 1-1 with them earlier that day.

This one I should keep to myself but here goes. In 1974 my Jambo brother in law asked me if I would go to Hampden with him to watch Hearts against Dundee United. After much hesitation I agreed (he must have been paying) and on the way back on the Hearts coach :duck: a Hibs coach overtook and most of the lads on it recognised me. Of course they did....it was the Pentland Branch which I travelled on to away matches at that time. :faf:

I could go on forever but I won't.

:bye:

snooky
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Everybody stamping their feet on the wooden floor of the old North Stand during Wednesday night European games.
It was the hub. You had to be there..... just magic.

kano
03-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Playing at boghead dumbartons old ground against clydebank i think when in division one.When the game finished about 1500 hibbys doing a chicken run with an old weegie woman giving us dogs abuse about it

KWJ
03-08-2009, 04:00 AM
ahhh....

Seeing the main stand at starks park when you got the train over.

The skol cup (the league cup was taken seriously back in those days).

Yup, the Starks Park one was always fun. Got you stirring for football.

Keiths header v the huns in 91 + Budgies double save.

The Hibs badge in the 90s.

The kids playing on the pitch at Stranraer as the tannoy guy who said we had Emile Bottleacherries on the bench told them to get aff.

Boghead and the "Special Pie" + coke and irn bru being poured from 2 litre bottles. Clydebank naming all their season ticket holders in their program.

The Hibs program with the quiz that Stuart Lovell always seemed to win.

Matty Jack keeping the ball leading to Latas 97th minute penalty winner against Arabs.

Matty Jack absolutely nailing Caballero and then being hated by both Dundee teams.

Meeting Matty Jack and Andy Watson at the pie queue at Gala. What a legend Matty Jack was :thumbsup:

Meeting Big Eck & Marc Libbra at the Stirling Albion match with the ridiculous fog.

Seeing wee Russ make his debut at Ayr and hugging Rougiers stomach. Then afterwards the arguement that number 4 was Latapy and not Lapaty. John Hughes in the crowd after we got our 3rd in that game.

The booked for being ugly chant.

The 5 minutes of amazing football in the 6-2 game as well as the rest of it.

The Dundee 4-4 game where I said "we looked like Brazil" on Scotsport beacuse we bloody did! That Deek volley being ruled offside that would have made it 5-1 :(

Having Tynies concrete stand bouncing during the Millennium derby.

That Sauzee free kick v Falkirk & his volley straight from the corner v Clydebank (Stewarts wasn't hit right ;) )

Franck & Russell.

The re arranged St. Johnstone match with £3 entry & Earl John. Howler of a game.

Zitelli's overhead with fireworks going off at Dens.

Anderssons saves in the CIS semi.

Just getting at my seat to see someone score a 25 yard pearler against the yams then discovering it was DLC who I'd just stuck a fiver on at 20/1.

Aww so many. I'll stop now.

KWJ
03-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Playing at boghead dumbartons old ground against clydebank i think when in division one.When the game finished about 1500 hibbys doing a chicken run with an old weegie woman giving us dogs abuse about it

"WIFIE there's someone in your garden" as heaps of us pile through a shortcut. haha.

Joy Zipper
03-08-2009, 07:15 AM
The 5 minutes of amazing football in the 6-2 game as well as the rest of it..

How about the ironic cheer from the Hibs fans when the Yams scored their second in the last minute of the 6-2 game. Well there wasn't any Yams left to cheen on their team ! :greengrin

ancient hibee
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
The Green Dispatch.

Programmes that had the teams in them.

Sinking up to your knees in the shale on the old terracing when it rained.

Treating myself to a seat in the old stand(north end of course)for the first time.

Getting in for a game against St.Mirren just as we kicked off.Cheering our 90th minute winning goal and finding out when I bought the Pink that it was the equaliser as St.Mirren had scored before I got in.

Watching Willie Hamilton play.

Too many European nights to list(win orlose).

Realising early on in the League Cup final against Celtic that we were streets ahead of them and were going to win.

The last goal of Lawrie Reilly's last hat trick(against Falkirk).

2nd edition

Seeing Gordon Smith running down the right wing and crossing the ball on the run with the outside of his left foot.

Seeing Willie Ormond beating Alec Parker(the best right back of the day)twice in a few minutes on his outside and pinging the ball past Bert Slater from the by line.

Watching Des Fox score against Motherwell-telling the guys that we were home and dry and then watching Ian St.John scoring the fastest ever hat trick.(2.5minutes)

Giving Real Madrid some sympathetic applause as Willie Hamilton showed them how to play.

Going to Kirkcaldy and sitting in the stand where you had to watch sideways through a glass wall(a bit like Pooles Synod Hall).

weecounty hibby
03-08-2009, 08:09 PM
First game as a four year old about 73/74 in the old North stand and being in awe of these guys with the Hibees thump thump thump.

Being in a fight almost daily for being the only Hibby in a school of about 700.

Seeing Goram score twice for us, one v Morton and one in a league cup tie in a penalty shoot out against Clydebank.

And many of the others mentioned earlier.

lucky
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Climbing the wall to get in

arguing with Benny Brazil during a break in play

£1 to get in and £1 for bus for away games

Old firm violence

Skol cup and CIS cup wins

***** O' Leary's penalty miss

friendly against man utd, we were the only club with under soil heating

AEK away and game being called of

AEK at home with the bizarre chant of USA after 9/11 with the Greeks burning US flag

scarfs off at hearthill when going to Ibrox

Scottish cup heartache every year

erin go bragh
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
gordon rae scoring after hitting the bar three times rapid {cowshed end
archibald scoring our 2nd at the pbs hunter scoring the only goal at the pbs out singing the huns at greyskull on way to losing 1 nil but winning 2 1 on agg mickey weir scoring from kick off after morton scored skinning about 7 players sauzee scoring at the pbs then running the lenth of the pitch to celebrate with us latapys 6th aek athens game {how bouncing was the leith san sero that night] singing sunshine on leith with tears in my eyes after winning in some style against killie cup final[ even sweeter after getting locked out in 91]

Speedway
03-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Winning the league against Raith Rovers on a sunny but chilly Saturday.

Those green and white padditon bear plaster figurines that the club shop used to sell

The high pitched squealing from the crowd letting you know it was a Hibs Kids game

Bonnie 'LANGFORD' Ginsburg's debut at ER when Houchen and Weir sunk the Hun.

The waste ground behind the old East

The bowling club behind the Dunbar end.

The McEwan's Lager painted undersoil heating thing by the cowshed.

Denis Law taking penalties against John Leslie at ER.

Hibs being on Blue Peter regularly.

Souness '86

The 3-2 comeback against the arabs in 91-92

Jim Duffy's helicopter

Ray Butch Wilkins signing

Budgie's pre-match warm ups

Days turning into weeks as Callum Milne sped down the wing

Willie Miller's wondergoal against Bonner being chalked off

The old Boardroom having a trophy cabinet in it which would look small in my shed.

The sun coming over the west and blinding us in the East

David Fellinger

Danny Lennon and Billy Findlay being hailed as the next big things.

Predicting the team selection and formation in the Hibs Club

Getting signatures for the Hands Off Hibs petitions and checking Ceefax/Oracle teletext for updates

James70
03-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Travelling on the Pentland Branch bus from the Grassmarket to away games.

Stopping at such salubrious places as The Griffin near Newhouse en route to the west and through Glenfarg going up to Dundee.

Going into the bar behind the Copland Road end at Ibrox wearing Hibs scarves hidden under our jackets.

Beating Celtic when they still had the Lisbon Lions team, playing up the slope in the 1st half and going in at HT 0-0 then hitting them in the 2nd half.

Joe Baker's first game back at ER beating Aberdeen when Bobby Clark had gone umpteen games without conceding a goal.

Self customised Hibs scarfs with cloth badges sewn on and pin badges attached, the dark green college type scarf with thin white stripes and with a cup and club honours printed on.

Sloop John B and the sweeper system.

Tiny Wharton

Potty78
03-02-2014, 04:09 PM
First game beating well 4-0 at er in 86. First derby 2-1 in 87, had to ask dad why fans were on the park. Beating Celtic 4-3 then losing semi to dons and mind crying as I was that cold. The rangers two semi"s, especially the pens win. The night we beat Airdrie to stay up. I missed 6-2 as I was in Barbados for family wedding:(

Nomeancity
03-02-2014, 05:20 PM
The death trap that was the old wooden stand with the white dividing line between the seats on the wooden benches.

it's a good job none of the top league teams have these stands anymore........wait a minute?

CapitalHibs
03-02-2014, 06:50 PM
11-1 over Airdrie at Broomfield, the day the jambos won the League Cup

10-2 over Partick at Firhill in the same season

8-4 against Third Lanark at ER. Ronnie Simpson saving two penalties

5-5 draw against Clyde

6-6 draw with Middlesboro (friendly)

Joe Baker (first time round) Walking in to Easter Road believing it was almost guaranteed he would score for us.

Flanny boy
03-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Some people would even tie their scarfs round their wrists, that coupled with a black harrington jacket looked very cool.:wink: Bombay bob from the lancashire hibs still does it to this day, i wish i was as cool as he is.:greengrin
Lol.many have tried pal but all have failed
to be as cool as Oor wee Bombay bobby :agree:

The Pointer
03-02-2014, 07:52 PM
The 'Erzie Men' selling the "Erzie razorblades, macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gu-um!" usually around the bridge.

We used to gather on match days near the bottom of the gangway at the bottom of the slope just up from the penalty box where there was a single stanchion(sp).

What others called The Cowshed, we called The Cave.

My first Rangers game being called a 'fenian bstrd' despite being a regular (at the time) at the kirk.

My mates hiring a coach to go to the '72 League Cup Final and the crack we had. David Wilkie the swimmer was on the bus and I got hit by a bottle on the shoulder thrown by the smellies.

Being thrown out of Tynecastle during a Wednesday night derby (Mistaken identity but the Cops had a habit of grabbing whoever happened to be handy) and being told that if I attempted to re-enter the stadium I would be arrested. I did - just in time to see Pat Stanton score the equaliser!

Knocking a Cop's hat off celebrating a goal at the 7-0 game only to be told that "It's OK, I'm a Hibby son".

Going to Brockville and being on the lookout for 'Clockworks'.

My brother is a Jambo and back in the day I used to go along to Tynie on occasion. There used to be a guy we called 'The Forks' because when something went against them he used to run down the terracing shouting and swearing giving all and sundry the forks with both hands.

After a game v the Huns, going up to my car in Regents Terrace and coming across a couple of young Hibbies having a spot of bovver from Hun Young Team. I was playing rugby fairly regularly then so considered it a training exercise. Nuff said but it was immensely satisfying.

....and, being taken to Murrayfield by my mum and not being able to see the game until I'd stacked up enough beer cans to stand on!

nonshinyfinish
03-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Missed this thread the first time around, it's a great read.

MM19
03-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Walking along Albion Road and seeing the old floodlights on the Wednesday night games. All the European games in the sixties and seventies. King Paddy the 7-0 game. Russell and Franck the 6-2 game. The three league cup wins and the two Dryburgh cup wins. Turnbull's Tornadoes.

weonlywon6-2
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
11-1 over Airdrie at Broomfield, the day the jambos won the League Cup

10-2 over Partick at Firhill in the same season

8-4 against Third Lanark at ER. Ronnie Simpson saving two penalties

5-5 draw against Clyde

6-6 draw with Middlesboro (friendly)

Joe Baker (first time round) Walking in to Easter Road believing it was almost guaranteed he would score for us.

is this the thread for the more mature fan !!!!

Bostonhibby
Travelling on the Pentland Branch bus from the Grassmarket to away games.

Stopping at such salubrious places as The Griffen(?) near Strathaven en route to Ayr or Kilmarnock and through Glenfarg going up to Dundee.

Going into the bar behind the Copland Road end at Ibrox wearing Hibs scarves hidden under our jackets.

Beating Celtic when they still had the Lisbon Lions team, playing up the slope in the 1st half and going in at HT 0-0 then hitting them in the 2nd half.

Joe Baker's first game back at ER beating Aberdeen when Bobby Clark had gone umpteen games without conceding a goal.

Self customised Hibs scarfs with cloth badges sewn on and pin badges attached, the dark green college type scarf with thin white stripes and with a cup and club honours printed on.

Sloop John B and the sweeper system.

Tiny Wharton

Ah, Tiny Wharton - the good old days when refs were biased and didn't care who knew it - Craig Thomson has much to learn :wink:

PatHead
Stamping on the old wooden stand when the West led the East in a Hiiiiiiiiiibees chant.

McBHibee
03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Hibs 4 Celtic 4 League cup win on penalties
Hibs 4 Celtc 3 Scottish cup
Hibs 6 Celtic 3 Ally Brazil hatrick
6-2
Franck Sauzee
Alex Miller playing attacking football (towards the end)
Teenage kicks
Skol cup win
Playing Man Utd on our undersoil heating
George Best
Kenny Dalgleish playing for Hibs
1980's relegation battles

c31
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I remember the good old days when we didn't need some kid banging a drum in such a non musical way trying to 'make' an atmosphere..those were the days....

Speedway
06-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Jim Gray and Raymond Sparkes having a we chat to each other as they walked around the pitch before the turnstiles opened.

Drunken Duncan Ferguson looking deadly against us.

A couple of Mogadon's squad having a sly fag between the old brick entrance and the stand itself.

Losing 0-1 to Hamilton under Blackley

Hibs Clubcall, a scam so large that it makes Vlad look like a philanthropist.

Scottish Football Monthly which featured a page on each team in the Premier league.

The utter impossibility of getting the Hibs badge in a packet of Panini stickers.

The mysterious disappearance of Lillian Martin

Chico destroying the Pars under Duffy

The old IRA graffiti round the walls of the old east at the Dunbar end.

Peevemor
06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
People selling pies from the track at the front of the terracing.
The shop in the old main stand.
Harry Gilzean's cartoons in Mondays EEN and his shop off Cockburn Street
Club '86 and it's monthly prize draw (£200 which I once won :aok:)
The skinheads grouping under the tv gantry on the old (high) east terracing
The alpinesque climb from the turnstiles to the top of the old east.
Craigie Paterson signing for Rangers (:singing: What's it like to be a hun ....?)
Arthur and Erich each hitting the old, short lived, electronic scoreboard with wayward shots.
Signing Ricky Hill from the Bermuda Hotels leaugue
Hastily arranged friendlies to make use of the u/s heating when matches were postponed (Man Utd., Dynamo Moscow, Celtic? (the Benny hat trick game).
The North stand stomping brigade, complete with sheepskin coats and cigars.
Alky Malkie Robertson playing as a trialist.

hibseleven
06-02-2014, 11:07 AM
great thread!!

GlenrothesHibee
06-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Kevin Harpers mazey run and goal against Hearts. Remember the strange weather. Sunshine then snow then hail! Still think its the loudest cheer ive heard at ER

scotia44
06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Climbing on the fence to see Benny Brazils shin split open and him telling us "its alright and get doon off the fence":agree:

Waiting on the players in the old stand for autographs and going into the shop for a pin badge it was like a jewellers with all the glass cases/counters:greengrin Raymond Sparkes worked in there I think

Jackie mac getting shoved down the tunnel against Killie I think and bursting his nose:confused:

4-3 against the smellies in the skol cup Pearce o'leary missed the cowshed roof never mind the goal!

Squeezing through said cooshed railings from the east when the steward/police looked away:wink:

Insave strip white one is still my favourite ever with the shiny green shorts smart as fluck it was:agree:

Steve Cowan/Gordon Durie scoring every week:flag:

The pie hut at the bottom right of the cowshed and jumping in and out the queue trying not to miss the action

I luv Hibs I do:hibees

Behar
06-02-2014, 12:14 PM
The token turd that was always at the end of the trough, in the bogs down the back of the old East!

Soldiersteve
06-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Ally McLeod "goal" from free kick down the slope against Dundee in New Year Derby (Hearts relegated)
Ref disallowed it; Ally took it again and put it in the opposite corner!
Hibs class!

SuperAllyMcleod
06-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Ally McLeod "goal" from free kick down the slope against Dundee in New Year Derby (Hearts relegated)
Hibs class!

I most certainly remember that!

It was his trademark one arm in the air celebration that was so cool too. None of this running around - Ally knew how to save energy :-)

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Ugly players. These days you just don't get the good old fashioned British players with missing teeth, shocking hairstyles, jug ears etc. There's still a few knocking around, but not like when I was a kid.

sleeping giant
06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Hibs class!

Did a Hibs player not do that direct from a corner. Scored from the corner , ref made him take it again and he done it again?

My Dads memory might be going though :-)

Biggie
06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
The stomping off the feet followed by hibees, hibees
The fans chanting we want paddy, we want paddy, when we got a penalty against Clyde at ER in 1972 I think, and paddy was on his hatrick (finished 5-0)
Alan Gordon's hat-trick against Dundee (finished 3-3) and we got pumped 3-0 in the replay
Hibs beating sporting Lisbon 6-1 !!....fc Besa 7-1 ?.....even the 2-4 defeat to juventus !......will we ever see these days again ?
Joe t's tackle on Gordon strachan...lol
Pat Stanton's penalty hitting the post against Leeds United
Anyone remember a game against Motherwell getting fogged off after about 10 minutes ?.....and we got in for free and in the next game hibs created a double header programme ?....
The fans running down the stairs in the east terracing chasing hearts supporters.....
The bottles flying back and forth in the cave....Jesus can you believe that now in such a confined space ?!

Peevemor
06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
The stomping off the feet followed by hibees, hibees
The fans chanting we want paddy, we want paddy, when we got a penalty against Clyde at ER in 1972 I think, and paddy was on his hatrick (finished 5-0)
Alan Gordon's hat-trick against Dundee (finished 3-3) and we got pumped 3-0 in the replay
Hibs beating sporting Lisbon 6-1 !!....fc Besa 7-1 ?.....even the 2-4 defeat to juventus !......will we ever see these days again ?
Joe t's tackle on Gordon strachan...lol
Pat Stanton's penalty hitting the post against Leeds United
Anyone remember a game against Motherwell getting fogged off after about 10 minutes ?.....and we got in for free and in the next game hibs created a double header programme ?....
The fans running down the stairs in the east terracing chasing hearts supporters.....
The bottles flying back and forth in the cave....Jesus can you believe that now in such a confined space ?!

The fogged off game was against Dundee. The rearranged match was free entry, though the turnout was only 8000 (we won 3 or 4 nil IIRC)

ShadesLongThrow
06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
The boys that wore the green miners helmets with the players names painted on them in tiny letters. Handy for when the bottles were flying around.

Biggie
06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
The fogged off game was against Dundee. The rearranged match was free entry, though the turnout was only 8000 (we won 3 or 4 nil IIRC)

Thanks peev...I it must have been the programme that had Dundee And Motherwell on it.....must look that one out :greengrin

h1bs4life
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Great thread.Loads of memories growing up. Watching Turnbull's Tornadoes.Standing at the front of the high bit.2 Dryburgh Cup and 1 League Cup win. 7-0 against the Yams. European games against Sporting Libson ,FC Besa,Hadjuk Split, Juventus ,Leeds . Liverpool. Asking for lift over even when you were taller than the person you were asking. Climbing over the wall of the seated enclosure and ripping my a##e on the broken bottles cemented onto the top of it , watched the match , down to Leith hospital to get 4 stitches. Ralph Callachan wonder goal against Dundee when he beat there whole team , twice. Gilzean's shop on Waverley Steps with all the cracking badges. All the punch up's when the crowds were mixed. Thinking we were rich when the old man bought tickets for the seated enclosure at a New Year Derby. Hundreds of others.

Biggie
06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Great thread.Loads of memories growing up. Watching Turnbull's Tornadoes.Standing at the front of the high bit.2 Dryburgh Cup and 1 League Cup win. 7-0 against the Yams. European games against Sporting Libson ,FC Besa,Hadjuk Split, Juventus ,Leeds . Liverpool. Asking for lift over even when you were taller than the person you were asking. Climbing over the wall of the seated enclosure and ripping my a##e on the broken bottles cemented onto the top of it , watched the match , down to Leith hospital to get 4 stitches. Ralph Callachan wonder goal against Dundee when he beat there whole team , twice. Gilzean's shop on Waverley Steps with all the cracking badges. All the punch up's when the crowds were mixed. Thinking we were rich when the old man bought tickets for the seated enclosure at a New Year Derby. Hundreds of others.

Good ones there hibs4life.....I enjoyed standing at the front of the high section of the east...what a view.....and the crowds were pretty decent too.
All in all, one of the few benefits of being old enough to see big crowds at ER, top European teams, and turn balls tornadoes....

h1bs4life
06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Good ones there hibs4life.....I enjoyed standing at the front of the high section of the east...what a view.....and the crowds were pretty decent too.
All in all, one of the few benefits of being old enough to see big crowds at ER, top European teams, and turn balls tornadoes....

Some big crowds in these days Biggie which didnt include in all the kids / teenagers that got a lift over , when they ' built ' the seated enclosure the full length turnstiles put paid to that although if you were thin enough you could double up.Tornadoes were a great team to be brought up on .

sleeping giant
06-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
50p to get in. My Dad still lifted me and my cousins over :-)

Peevemor
06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
50p to get in. My Dad still lifted me and my cousins over :-)

I remember it well. It was played on a Monday night and I skived pipe band practice to go to the match. My folks found out and were not happy bunnies, mostly because I was quite far from Balerno where I was meant to be.

matty_f
07-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Singing about John Robertson's wife at derbies. Sure the song can be heard on the video in the Archibald thread. :tee hee:

Tom Hart RIP
07-02-2014, 09:54 AM
I remember when we got the scoreboard but Kenny Waugh insisted that instead of naming the teams during the half time scores he put A 1-0 B 2-1 etc in case it affected the programme sales.
Also we we hammering Falkirk at ER when the guy put the score up from Hampden, Patrick Thistle 4 Celtic 0. Everyone was shouting at him for getting it the wrong way round. No Internet in those days

Peevemor
07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I remember when we got the scoreboard but Kenny Waugh insisted that instead of naming the teams during the half time scores he put A 1-0 B 2-1 etc in case it affected the programme sales.
Also we we hammering Falkirk at ER when the guy put the score up from Hampden, Patrick Thistle 4 Celtic 0. Everyone was shouting at him for getting it the wrong way round. No Internet in those days

What was worse was that when they first installed the scoreboard they showed the team names with the HT scores, then one match (I was in the old North enclosure) it showed A 1-0, B 0-0, etc. Everyone started moaning until 2 minutes later, the tannoy guy announced "Now the half time scores..." (cheer from crowd)

"A 1-0, B 0-0 ..." - the place went mental!

Just after he announced the team names with the scores. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Poor people at football! When I was first taken along in the late 80s there was sill terracing and adults could still gain admission for the price of a couple of pints or so. Football fans who didn't have much money could still support their team. Ticket price inflation over he past couple of decades must be enormous; in part a deliberate policy to address the hooliganism of the 70s and 80s, but which has had some negative consequences, not least upon attendances. You need a decent disposable income to be a football fan today, which is sad.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Does anyone remember a game that was snowed off against St Johnstone in the late 90s/early 00s.

Think it was abandoned at half time, the rearranged game might even have had the debut of the little seen Earl Jean, sure we lost 1-0.

Hiber-nation
07-02-2014, 07:15 PM

There was definitely a game v Motherwell abandoned because of fog after about 15 mins when we were 1 up - 1973 or 74, maybe before your time :wink:

The whole East terrace tried to blow the fog away!

ancient hibee
07-02-2014, 07:22 PM
The one man band who used to perform in Albion Road-he's on the old film clip sometimes on here.

Waiting until 20 minutes into the second half for the gates to open so we could get in for nothing after we'd played our own game.

The first appearance of white nets for floodlight games.

Thinking that the way the Famous FIve played would be the way we always would play.

Seeing Joe Baker scoring against Hearts at the opening of their floodlights and thinking -this guys a player and he's only a couple of years older than me.Tommy Preston scored 3 but he was a grown man!

Not realising that Jock Stein was only treating us as a warm up for Celtic and being delighted at his first game in charge at Parkhead when Neil Martin rapped in 3.

Tom Hart RIP
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
We were due to play a friendly against Motherwell in early 80s and fans were asked to help clear snow off the pitch which we did and Bertie Auld turned up with bags of chips. It was the first time I was ever in the pitch.

hibbypostie
08-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Home games 6-2 v them, benny's hatrick v the tic 6-3 friendly. Athens

away 0-3 them lehman sauzee miller

coldest ever away game our visit to stranraer we won 1-0 but god it was cold

YehButNoBut
08-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Liftovers

Squeezing through the turnstile with the person in front to get in :greengrin

The No 1 or 6 bus back to Drylaw, full of nutters

Standing at the front of the top part of the old east terracing to get a great view

Alex Edwards (loved him)

John Brownlie breaking his leg

Billy Bremner's superb performance in the 0-0 game

Fights in the cowshed when both sets of fans stood beside each other.

Moving from one end of the ground to the other depending on which way Hibs were shooting

George Best games, he was still superb, pretending to drink from a bottle thrown on to the pitch

Great European nights under the floodlights

Fan attacking John Robertson at the derby around the Mercer takeover bid

Robbo scoring against us again & again :grr:

Everyone from the east trying to squeeze into the cowshed when it rained

Joe Baker scoring against Aberdeen when he returned to Hibs, with the white boots

Beating Liverpool 1-0 in 1975 UEFA Cup, I'm sure they won it that season

The superb atmosphere against Rangers for Souness first game

Gordon Durie coming from East Fife and turning out to be a superb player

Benny Brazil

Larsson (in his first game for Celtic) giving the ball away to Chic Charnley who slotted it home in our 2-1 win

Jimmy O'Rourke's hat trick in the 6-1 win over Sporting Lisbon

allezsauzee
08-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Knocking Celtic out of both cups in 85/86 season. Both brilliant games. On pens after 4-4 draw in the League Cup, 4-3 in the Scottish Cup after going behind a couple of times.

Souness's first game for Rangers

Getting beaten 2-1 by Dundee United while Sir Albert for destroying the yams at Dens.

ancient hibee
09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Getting beaten 3-1 by Raith at Kirkcaldy in a cup replay.

Phil D. Rolls
09-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Getting beaten 3-1 by Raith at Kirkcaldy in a cup replay.

Who was the manager, and how long did he keep his job?

ancient hibee
09-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Who was the manager, and how long did he keep his job?

It was Hugh Shaw and although the glory years were over he still had a few more seasons.Incidentally Hibs were by no means favourites to win.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
I remember one derby at ER when Paul Hartley was a guest in the studio (must of been injured) and all the hibs fans were singing "Pauuuuuul Hartley is gaaaaaaay" and "Vladamir Rominov he sucks Paul Hartley off" at HT. His face was bright red when talking. GIRUY!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Setanta Sports & Scotsprot in the Mowbray days. Miss those days:boo hoo:

heretoday
09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
The terracing wag - no, not a bit like Mrs Beckham!

Usually to be found standing in the old North Enclosure, attired in raincoat, shirt and tie and taking swigs from a green can of Pally Ally - the thinnest and most flavourless beer available (probably bought at Fairbairns).

The classic "See you, Coburn! Ye've a face only a mother could love!" emanated from one such as this.

ancient hibee
10-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Gie the ba tae reilllllly.

Smiggy 7-0
10-02-2014, 05:24 PM
2 pints of Black n Tan in Macs Bar before watching The Tornadoes. Ah those were the days.

Hibernia&Alba
10-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I remember one derby at ER when Paul Hartley was a guest in the studio (must of been injured) and all the hibs fans were singing "Pauuuuuul Hartley is gaaaaaaay" and "Vladamir Rominov he sucks Paul Hartley off" at HT. His face was bright red when talking. GIRUY!

Brilliant! Hibs class.

Hiber-nation
10-02-2014, 06:12 PM
2 pints of Black n Tan in Macs Bar before watching The Tornadoes. Ah those were the days.

4 pints in Dizzie Lizzies and watch the go-gos before most home games from 78-80.

Dulled the pain a bit I suppose.

James70
10-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Sitting in "The Menu" chip shop/restaurant next to the STV studio in Leith Walk when Arthur Montford walked in and ordered a fish tea! :greengrin

Hermit Crab
10-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Fulton being booked for being ugly.

Latapys volley.

Sauzee rocket v Falkirk.

Bill Milne
11-02-2014, 09:40 AM
A young Tich Currie, now running the Harp & Castle, flogging the Pink News in the Hibs Club with his Hertz scarf on!!

Bill Milne
11-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Forgot to mention the day the ball went onto the East Terracing during a derby match and a rugby ball was returned. IIRC, Craig Gordon was in goal for Hertz and even he was creasing himself. Bear in mind the PBS was in danger of being shut with THEM being moved to Murrayfield.

Bill Milne
11-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Most of them have probably been mentioned but here goes.

Saturday morning (7 hours before kick-off) Out the door before the parents got up to meet up with the mates for the norm couple of hours fitba in the park.

One O'clock. Up the road to get the bus with my Hibs scarf wrapped around my neck 6 times so it wouldn't dangle on the floor. Told my "scarf knitting" aunt that she wouldn't need 32 balls of green and 32 balls of white wool but she wouldn't listen.

Pre-match. Ice Cream at Toni's and off to play on the swings and roundabout at the park near Easter Road. Well I was only 11 or 12 at the time.

"Please mister could you give me a lift over".

Sitting in the shed singing songs that would get you a life ban nowadays. As I said I was only 11 or 12 at the time and didn't know better.

Some guys from Royston trying to "dob in" me and my mates. They did this frequently even though they were Hibs supporters as well. They must have been crap because I can't recall ever being punched. They were all talk.

Trying to borrow a programme when the half time scores were put up on the scoreboard in the Dunbar End. A:2-0 B:3-1 etc.

Singing "We've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got Thomson Allan number 1", "we've got the best team in the land". Went right through the team and finished off with Eric Stevenson number 11.

Eating 5 mince pies during one game and I ain't a fatty either. :greengrin

Fish and chips after the match at the chippie in Albert Street.

Amazed that the "Pink Paper" was already in the shops with match results although it was only an hour since the final whistle was blown.

Being at Easter Road and seeing Jack Charlton score "that goal" that knocked us out the Fairs Cup. :grr:

Again at Easter Road when Leeds beat us on penalties to knock us out the UEFA Cup. IIRC we were trying to get the match replayed as Don Revie was on the pitch when the penalties were being taken. That didn't work and we may have even asked for a replay on the grounds that the refs whistle was out of tune. :wink:

That glorious night watching from high up in the East terracing our boys ripping Dino Zoff and his Napoli team mates apart. 5-0 one of my favourite memories.

Sneaking out my home (I was only 10 or 11 and my dad didn't want me to go to Glasgow) to travel through to Ibrox. We won 3-1 that day and although I was in the "Rangers End" I still cheered every goal as they went in. One female hun was giving me some funny looks. How do I know she was a woman? Easy...her beard was trimmed. :agree:

The day Bobby Duncan got his leg broken in the game against Celtic. :boo hoo:

1972 and 2007 Diddy Cup Finals. Both great days although I remember the latter one more clearly. 1972 was unfortunately over too quickly although I do remember Paddy lifting the cup and the celebrations in Edinburgh afterwards.

Being at Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final and being turned over 6-0 by Celtic. Think there were 106,000 at that game and the majority wanted to go fighting. What an atmosphere. Shame about the result. :grr:

Being chased by Dons fans near the harbour in Aberdeen at midnight after we drew 1-1 with them earlier that day.

This one I should keep to myself but here goes. In 1974 my Jambo brother in law asked me if I would go to Hampden with him to watch Hearts against Dundee United. After much hesitation I agreed (he must have been paying) and on the way back on the Hearts coach :duck: a Hibs coach overtook and most of the lads on it recognised me. Of course they did....it was the Pentland Branch which I travelled on to away matches at that time. :faf:

I could go on forever but I won't.

:bye:

And you are? I would have been on that very Pentland bus!!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Brilliant! Hibs class.

:faf:

iwasthere1972
11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
And you are? I would have been on that very Pentland bus!!

I think we may have been away to Dumbarton that day.

eastterrace
11-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Forgot to mention the day the ball went onto the East Terracing during a derby match and a rugby ball was returned. IIRC, Craig Gordon was in goal for Hertz and even he was creasing himself. Bear in mind the PBS was in danger of being shut with THEM being moved to Murrayfield.

yes that was a brilliant moment how the fan worked it out everything fell into place for it to work.

Stax
11-02-2014, 08:27 PM
That was quality. Remember it well, pissed myself laughing then clocked my wee laddie looking genuinely confused. Doff my cap to whoever came up with that one.

therealgavmac
11-02-2014, 08:48 PM
4 pints in Dizzie Lizzies and watch the go-gos before most home games from 78-80.

Dulled the pain a bit I suppose.

...... trying to make sense of a conversation with "Sorry" Norrie in the corner where the go-go's changed......

Hiber-nation
11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
...... trying to make sense of a conversation with "Sorry" Norrie in the corner where the go-go's changed......

Jeez...it's all coming back!!

DanTheMan
11-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Made my night reading that haha. Genius

sleeping giant
11-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Made my night reading that haha. Genius

I was sitting in the FF with my boy when that was being sung :greengrin

He kept asking what they were singing about Vlad. "no too sure son , cannae quite make it out" :greengrin

Bill Milne
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
I think we may have been away to Dumbarton that day.

Are you remaining anonymous then?

Nomeancity
12-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Raith Rovers, livingstone, Ayr utd, meadowbank, airdrie, Arbroath, Qos, Dunfermline, Clyde, Clydebank, Falkirk, st Johnstone, Ross county, rangers, hearts.

all memories of cup defeats by lesser teams who should not be beating us. Many of these were at home.

any others? I have a vague recollection of east fife beating us at home in the lc?

apologies for the negative nature of this post. I'm depressed.

GlenrothesHibee
12-02-2014, 08:28 AM

I had forgotten about that. I remember Gordon throwing the ball back rugby style. Im sure there were "Robinson must stay cards" in the East that day also

The Pointer
13-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Went down to the Leeds European game with a college pal from South Queensferry and some of his mates in an old Commer van. Stopped in Newcastle on the way down for drinks and arrived in Leeds well scoofed having passed loads of Hibs buses. I remember passing the station just after the Edinburgh train had got in and all the singing, so for a young lad this was a BIG occasion! The crowds outside the ground were surging around and everyone was thinking it was going to kick off, but at our end I don't think it did, although I did hear that some Hibs boys got to the top of the steps at the Leeds end. I mind we filled the whole of our end and the din was terrific.

On the way back got dropped off at Fairmilehead crossroads in the dead of night, had a couple of hours kip and was off to college.

Went up to Aberdeen to see Hibs during the Joe Harper days on my Yam RD200 (drop bars, racing fairing - dug's baws). I had L-plates so couldn't go on the motorway. Came off it coming out of Cowdenbeath on black ice and was kicking myself until a police panda car came down the road and did exactly the same thing, straight into a barrier! Still, made it to the game.

Pete
14-02-2014, 03:16 AM
Raith Rovers, livingstone, Ayr utd, meadowbank, airdrie, Arbroath, Qos, Dunfermline, Clyde, Clydebank, Falkirk, st Johnstone, Ross county, rangers, hearts.

all memories of cup defeats by lesser teams who should not be beating us. Many of these were at home.

any others? I have a vague recollection of east fife beating us at home in the lc?

apologies for the negative nature of this post. I'm depressed.

If there's one thing I had totally forgotten about and needed reminding of it was defeats to a lower league team in the cup. Such a distant memory.

Like the last two teams in the list though. Now they are low :greengrin

Pete
14-02-2014, 03:32 AM
Sections of terracing being cordoned off with tape in the away ends at Easter road and tynecastle.

Once the rest of the terrace was full to bursting point, only then would they take the tape away and everyone would pile into the available space which was usually the most desirable view behind the goal.

I'm pretty sure crowd control techniques like this were short lived and put to bed by the Hillsborough disaster.

YehButNoBut
16-02-2014, 09:54 AM
VintageFooty ‏@VintageFooty (https://twitter.com/VintageFooty)
Matt Busby with his Hibs teammates in 1941 @HibernianFCClub (https://twitter.com/HibernianFCClub) pic.twitter.com/K2R56ICVVh (http://t.co/K2R56ICVVh)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgluDhHIgAAjQm9.jpg:large

Peevemor
16-02-2014, 11:50 AM
VintageFooty ‏@VintageFooty (https://twitter.com/VintageFooty)
Matt Busby with his Hibs teammates in 1941 @HibernianFCClub (https://twitter.com/HibernianFCClub) pic.twitter.com/K2R56ICVVh (http://t.co/K2R56ICVVh)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgluDhHIgAAjQm9.jpg:large

I (genuinely) love the suits.

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I (genuinely) love the suits.

:agree: The guy 2nd from the left down the front has the guy holding the cup trousers on. :faf::faf:

emerald green
16-02-2014, 02:02 PM
0 7 New Years day 73, and the walk along Gorgie & Dalry Road after the game and a great party in Leith that night. Also beating them 4 0 at Tynie scoring 4 goals in 1st 10 minutes. 5 0 Napoli game. World Cup 1982 in Spain - magic memories of Benalmedina! 3 League cup wins, but too many painful cup final defeats. Beating Real Madrid 2 0 even though it was a challenge match. Beating Rosenborg of Norway 12 3 on aggregate. Turnbull's Tornadoes - what a team. Never won nearly as much as they should have. League runners up to Old Firm 73/74 and 74/75. My horror when Hibs sold Jimmy O'Rourke to St Johnstone for £15,000! Unbelievable really, could never understand that one. My first match at Easter Road with my dad and uncle - the climb up the steps at the back of the old east terracing and seeing the ground for the first time. Huge crowds at all the great European nights. Beating Dunfermline 6 5 at East End Park. Steve Archibald's goal at the Gorgie Road end & the Hibs fans going mental. Sorry these are all jumbled up, I'm just typing stuff as it comes to mind. There's too many to mention - good and bad. GGTTH

eastterrace
16-02-2014, 02:11 PM
0 7 New Years day 73, and the walk along Gorgie & Dalry Road after the game and a great party in Leith that night. Also beating them 4 0 at Tynie scoring 4 goals in 1st 10 minutes. 5 0 Napoli game. World Cup 1982 in Spain - magic memories of Benalmedina! 3 League cup wins, but too many painful cup final defeats. Beating Real Madrid 2 0 even though it was a challenge match. Beating Rosenborg of Norway 12 3 on aggregate. Turnbull's Tornadoes - what a team. Never won nearly as much as they should have. League runners up to Old Firm 73/74 and 74/75. My horror when Hibs sold Jimmy O'Rourke to St Johnstone for £15,000! Unbelievable really, could never understand that one. My first match at Easter Road with my dad and uncle - the climb up the steps at the back of the old east terracing and seeing the ground for the first time. Huge crowds at all the great European nights. Beating Dunfermline 6 5 at East End Park. Steve Archibald's goal at the Gorgie Road end & the Hibs fans going mental. Sorry these are all jumbled up, I'm just typing stuff as it comes to mind. There's too many to mention - good and bad. GGTTH

yes dunfermline 6-5 was my very first away match, ran on to the pitch when jim scott scored the winner in last minute and a copper chased me but i was a wee bit to fast for him so he went after someone else.

Paperboy
16-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I remember it was such a big deal when Charlie Nicholas signed for Aberdeen he made his debut for them at Easter Road. You could tell it was a big game because there was a telly camera coming up from the back of the away end.

i was in the cow shed when two guys sat in front of me. They got a tap on the shoulder from a wee boy next to me who said "excuse me, can you move please? I want to be on the telly!"

I remember the tear gas game too. I was in the cow shed that day and left after it happened, there was utter confusion as to what was going on, how there wasn't serious injuries or worse that day because of panic I'll never know. I went straight home where my mum was waiting on me. She'd heard what had happened and marched up to Easter Road but couldn't find me so waited on me returning. She'd bought me a McDonalds that day and brought it home (my first ever McDonalds) and to cheer me up she put it in the microwave for me to heat it up.

My mum passed away recently and one of the first things I thought of was that Saturday. The confusion, the panic, my mum standing at my door hugging me when I got back and the taste of this new fangled thing called a McDonalds!

memories indeed...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 09:24 PM
When Killie had a player called Invinceible:hilarious