PDA

View Full Version : F1 braced for BMW exit announcement

Jack
29-07-2009, 06:30 AM
BMW's future in Formula 1 is in serious doubt amid mounting speculation that the German car manufacturer will announce its withdrawal from the sport at the end of this season, on Wednesday.

:blah:

The invite to the press conference said it had been called because of 'current developments in motor sport.'

The press conference will be hosted by Dr. Norbert Reithofer, the chairman of the BMW board, Dr. Klaus Draeger, the director for development, and Mario Theissen, BMW motorsport director. The presence of such senior management figures suggests that the announcement will be very significant.

However, sources suggest that a review meeting was planned for July to decide the future of the team - and this may be behind any announcement planned for the morning.

The announcement will be more of a surprise, however, because BMW Sauber was on the verge of signing a Concorde Agreement that would have committed the team to F1 until the end of 2012.

Jack
29-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Withdrawal now confirmed on the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8173865.stm

Anyone think this may be a case of brinkmanship?

To sort of quote Bernie – they weren’t very good anyway :dummytit:

The trend, with Honda pulling out last year, doesn’t look good!

(((Fergus)))
29-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Good to see the manufacturers clearing off, they weren't really interested in the sport, only in the publicity. Honda gave rise to Brawn, maybe BMW will revert back to Sauber.

Only Toyota and Renault to go now?

Gatecrasher
29-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Good to see the manufacturers clearing off, they weren't really interested in the sport, only in the publicity. Honda gave rise to Brawn, maybe BMW will revert back to Sauber.

i think a balance is critical but i had a feeling this was coming, Renault and Toyota are the other ones i feel would be next

id like to see LOLA F1

OtterHibee
29-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Just on that point, is Peter Sauber still involved with the team or has he left F1 entirely? Always thought Sauber were a decent team, if nothing special.

I honestly thought BMW would have done a lot better than they have this season, especially given their form last year. It'll be interesting to see where Kubica ends up, although I'm not too sure Heidfeld will remain in F1 for much longer.

I'm actually surprised Toyota are still around. I definitely feel they will be one of the next to drop out. Not sure about Renault though.

Gatecrasher
29-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Just on that point, is Peter Sauber still involved with the team or has he left F1 entirely? Always thought Sauber were a decent team, if nothing special.

I honestly thought BMW would have done a lot better than they have this season, especially given their form last year. It'll be interesting to see where Kubica ends up, although I'm not too sure Heidfeld will remain in F1 for much longer.

I'm actually surprised Toyota are still around. I definitely feel they will be one of the next to drop out. Not sure about Renault though.

Heidfeld is not a superb driver but he is consistant, if you give him a decent car he will rack up some points, a good "2nd driver"

ScottB
29-07-2009, 09:38 PM
F1 without the manufacturers would be awful. Hell it the manufacturers who are trying to make it better through FOTA. The most famous names in the history of the sport are manufacturer teams; Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Lotus etc. Take them away and you'll be left with a glorified GP2. Merc and Toyota have already confirmed they are staying.

I think BMW have left because they've been so bad this year, and clearly don't know why there car is so bad, Mclaren and Ferrari have improved drastically, that BMW haven't would suggest next years car would also be poor, so rather than spend 2 years at the back, better to go.

Frankly, they blew it last year, leading the championships after Canada last year instead of pushing on they gave up and switched to this year. Hopefully they do the decent thing and sell the team on to Peter Sauber or whoever.

OtterHibee
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Toyota now gone (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80003).

Can't say that was unexpected.

Gatecrasher
04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Toyota now gone (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80003).

Can't say that was unexpected.

Aw well, at least that could make room for sauber f1 maybe :agree:

Gatecrasher
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't post links on my phone but the. BBC site says renault are
meeting to discuss their future

OtterHibee
04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I can't post links on my phone but the. BBC site says renault are
meeting to discuss their future

Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8343221.stm) :dizzy: