PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Lyle

Pretty Boy
14-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Just how bitter is this guy?

Ok it must hurt not getting the Ryder Cup captaincy after a fair few of the other big names from his era have had it but his constant sniping in the press is pathetic.

To label Monty a cheat in todays papers is really low, yes he misplaced a dropped ball but whether he actually intentionally cheated has never been proven.

At the end of the day Monty was picked to be the Ryder Cup captain fair and square, he's not personally accepted it just to get at Sandy Lyle, and no wonder he doesn't want his help considering his behaviour in the last few months towards Monty.

cleanyman
14-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I wouldnt say he was bitter, he just wanted an explanation on why he wasnt picked as Ryder Cup Captain AGAIN. Hes been ignored and Lyle is usually a nice guy but the media have taken full advantage of this outburst.

Jonnyboy
14-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I wouldnt say he was bitter, he just wanted an explanation on why he wasnt picked as Ryder Cup Captain AGAIN. Hes been ignored and Lyle is usually a nice guy but the media have taken full advantage of this outburst.

Fair do's but he did get stuck into Monty. Am not Monty's greatest fan but I thought Sandy came across as a bit of an erse to be honest

Sylar
14-07-2009, 10:30 PM
After his unprofessional display in walking off a course due to the weather at last year's Open, Lyle has lost ANY credibility as a potential Ryder Cup captain IMO.

We need brave leaders, not pathetic cowards who are afraid of a little rain - he should be ashamed to call himself a) Scottish and b) a professional golfer.

Pretty Boy
14-07-2009, 10:51 PM

I generally like Sandy lyle but this last couple of years he just keeps coming across as really bitter and spiteful about a lot of things.

As i said i know it must hurt not getting the captaincy especially when Faldo, Woosnam, Seve, Langher and Torrance have all had it but some of his personal attacks on Monty and other players have been totally uncalled for.

LALthehibeeGAL
14-07-2009, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Scott M;2097019]After his unprofessional display in walking off a course due to the weather at last year's Open, Lyle has lost ANY credibility as a potential Ryder Cup captain IMO.

I used to like him but he has changed - I know it hurts to yet again lose out in the Ryder Cup Captaincy and I really do not like Monty but it really is a poor show from Lyle a man I always respected up until a year or so ago.

Anyway I wanted Olazabal to get the captaincy - next time maybe - Lyle I think has well and truly blown his chances.

FWIW I think Monty is not ready yet! All only my opinion mind!:greengrin

Lal:wink:

Pretty Boy
14-07-2009, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=Scott M;2097019]After his unprofessional display in walking off a course due to the weather at last year's Open, Lyle has lost ANY credibility as a potential Ryder Cup captain IMO.

I used to like him but he has changed - I know it hurts to yet again lose out in the Ryder Cup Captaincy and I really do not like Monty but it really is a poor show from Lyle a man I always respected up until a year or so ago.

Anyway I wanted Olazabal to get the captaincy - next time maybe - Lyle I think has well and truly blown his chances.

FWIW I think Monty is not ready yet! All only my opinion mind!:greengrin

Lal:wink:

Olazabal ruled himself out because he said he wants another crack at playing. Think it's unlikely with his health issues but who knows?

Golden Bear
15-07-2009, 07:55 AM
If Sandy Lyle did harbour any thoughts of becoming a future Ryder Cup captain then he's well and truly blown his chances with this ill timed and petulant little outburst.

You've always had an agricultural swing Sandy so perhaps you're better sticking to farming as you're chosen profession.

cleanyman
17-07-2009, 03:49 PM
The spat continues. Monty has blamed Lyle for him not making the cut because of the latter's comments.

Danderhall Hibs
17-07-2009, 05:11 PM
The spat continues. Monty has blamed Lyle for him not making the cut because of the latter's comments.

Sounds like Lyle was right then - what a big cry-baby!

'Mon the Lyle.

ancienthibby
17-07-2009, 05:14 PM
It's quite sad to see a once great sportsman just keeping on and on and on digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself.

Surely there are some advisers around him who could have told him to 'haud his wheesch'

If he did need an answer as to why he's been passed over for the Ryder Cup captaincy he's now just given it to the whole world - declared unfit for the job by his own words and actions!!

Danderhall Hibs
17-07-2009, 05:18 PM
It's quite sad to see a once great sportsman just keeping on and on and on digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself.

Surely there are some advisers around him who could have told him to 'haud his wheesch'

If he did need an answer as to why he's been passed over for the Ryder Cup captaincy he's now just given it to the whole world - declared unfit for the job by his own words and actions!!

Monty's done a world tour of greeting and moaning at spectators while winning no majors, yet he is given the captaincy.

Now Lyle's comments have definitely ruled him out (although he was never going to get the gig anyway - was he)?

Golf's a funny old game.

Toaods
17-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Sandy Lyle has been unfairly treated by the gentlemena's club that is Ryder Cup selection committee policy.

Better candidates in days gone by beat Sandy to the job but I suspect he was as they say 'due his turn'.

It would appear that somewhere behind closed doors someone either has it in for him or has assisted in making sure he was not selected, and Sandy must think it's the big greetin faced cry-baby Monty.

Loss of wife, kids and titles have been blamed on Faldo now Lyle, who's next?

Surely nobody could be thinking big sourpuss would be jealous of those UK players who have shown the bottle/luck required to win the big one in the US/Uk when your on your own and the heat is on........:wink:

rightwinger
18-07-2009, 11:00 AM
To be fair to Monty, Lyle's comments came out of left field and were unprovoked to say the least.

Nonetheless, Monty should have appreciated Lyle's disappointment and hurt. He may have been a has-been for a long time now, but - in his short time at the top - Lyle won Open, Masters, Players, World Matchplay, and played in two winning Ryder Cup teams. If Torrance and Mark James could get the captaincy, why not he?

Monty could, therefore, have been a bit more respectful of this and been - no pun intended - the bigger guy. Instead, he's reacted in the supersensitive way he always does. When Faldo and Seve got upset about things they played better - they made being sensitive or arrogant or whatever work for them. Monty can't do that though and it's again surprising that he's let something that he can't control get to him when he must know letting something get to him (with the exception of one ryder cup) always makes him play worse.

Still, Lyle's gone down in my estimation too. If Faldo had said what he had then a queue of British golfers - Lyle included - would have been lining up to call him this that and the next thing.

Golden Bear
18-07-2009, 04:32 PM
To be fair to Monty, Lyle's comments came out of left field and were unprovoked to say the least.

Nonetheless, Monty should have appreciated Lyle's disappointment and hurt. He may have been a has-been for a long time now, but - in his short time at the top - Lyle won Open, Masters, Players, World Matchplay, and played in two winning Ryder Cup teams. If Torrance and Mark James could get the captaincy, why not he?

Monty could, therefore, have been a bit more respectful of this and been - no pun intended - the bigger guy. Instead, he's reacted in the supersensitive way he always does. When Faldo and Seve got upset about things they played better - they made being sensitive or arrogant or whatever work for them. Monty can't do that though and it's again surprising that he's let something that he can't control get to him when he must know letting something get to him (with the exception of one ryder cup) always makes him play worse.

Still, Lyle's gone down in my estimation too. If Faldo had said what he had then a queue of British golfers - Lyle included - would have been lining up to call him this that and the next thing.

:agree:

I thnk Lyle's main problem was that his form went rapidly downhill and he disapppeared from the competitive scene long before many of his peers.

As a consequence he is almost an unknown quantity to many of today's leading players on the European tour.

BEEJ
20-07-2009, 08:21 AM
It's hard to like Monty - he is his own worst enemy at times.

But he is blameless on this one. Lyle was the one with the verbal outburst to the press, initiating a media feeding frenzy. Why should Monty be forced to comment / forgive / be diplomatic about a subject that was done to death years ago?