PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf in Fife?

Hibrandenburg
07-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Hi Guys, anybody give me some tips on courses in Fife.

I'm over for a few weeks in October and I've got myself a cottage near St Andrews.

I only started playing in October last year but I'm making good progress (I think) and am regularly doing 18 in under 95 strokes.

Anyone know where a beginner like me could have a good day out.

Cheers

H18sry
07-07-2009, 07:01 AM
http://www.drumoigleisure.com/ Lovley course and not expensive :thumbsup:

also grab yourself some of these to keep your costs down http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=154646 at other courses :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
07-07-2009, 08:09 AM
http://www.drumoigleisure.com/ Lovley course and not expensive :thumbsup:

also grab yourself some of these to keep your costs down http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=154646 at other courses :greengrin

Cheers Buddy, 2 good tips in one post :thumbsup:

Sylar
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Kingsbarns, just a few miles along the road from St Andrews. It's easily one of the best courses I've ever played, and I include some stellar courses in that list! We played it last year and it was breathtaking! You'll get it cheaper as a Scottish resident (so be prepared to give a post-code if asked :wink:)

Drumoig is a good un' and, as the gentleman:wink: above pointed out, not too costly.

The new Castle Course at St Andrews is cracking as well, although a wee bit more expensive.

A bit further down the road, at the bottom of Fife is Lundin Links - another cracking course.

Golden Bear
07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Another useful website

http://www.visitfife.com/golf/passes/fifestyle

Golden Bear
07-07-2009, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=Scott M;2090431]Kingsbarns, just a few miles along the road from St Andrews. It's easily one of the best courses I've ever played, and I include some stellar courses in that list! We played it last year and it was breathtaking! You'll get it cheaper as a Scottish resident (so be prepared to give a post-code if asked :wink:)

Drumoig is a good un' and, as the gentleman:wink: above pointed out, not too costly.

The new Castle Course at St Andrews is cracking as well, although a wee bit more expensive.

A bit further down the road, at the bottom of Fife is Lundin Links - another cracking course

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one Scott!

I had the misfortune to play the Castle course last season and I can honestly say it's the most tricked up, mickey mouse course that I've ever played in my life.

We had a fourball (all category 1 golfers) and the best individual score was 91!!

The contours on the greens were ridiculous not to mention the tiger rough covered grassy bankings to be found in the middle of the fairways.

Nah - this course is now rated 65th in the world ---- someone has paid somebody a lot of money for that ranking I can assure you.!

PS - It's got to be said however that hot pies which were served up after 9 holes were absolutely outstanding!

Sylar
07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I thought it was a really good challenge! In terms of official handicap, I'm category C at the moment and managed to go around the Castle in 88, which I thought was pretty good (My handicap is still new, and not really representative yet!).

It's certainly not an easy course, but the layout in terms of its panoramic views, hole variety and distance variation was good!

Didn't try the pies, but their bridies were outstanding :thumbsup:

cleanyman
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM

I'm over for a few weeks in October and I've got myself a cottage near St Andrews.

I only started playing in October last year but I'm making good progress (I think) and am regularly doing 18 in under 95 strokes.

Cheers

You could try the oldest 9 hole golf course in the world, its in Cupar. Its a very nice course but as ive said, its 9 holes so its good for practice.

Killiehibbie
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
You could try the oldest 9 hole golf course in the world, its in Cupar. Its a very nice course but as ive said, its 9 holes so its good for practice.

I thought that was Musselburgh.

cleanyman
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought that was Musselburgh.

The clubhouse says that its Cupar! Thats all im basing it on.

IWasThere2016
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Kingsbarns, just a few miles along the road from St Andrews. It's easily one of the best courses I've ever played, and I include some stellar courses in that list! We played it last year and it was breathtaking! You'll get it cheaper as a Scottish resident (so be prepared to give a post-code if asked :wink:)

:agree: Nowhere else comes close IMHO!

Golden Bear
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

I agree.

Kingsbarns is truly a wonderful golf course.

southfieldhibby
07-07-2009, 04:12 PM

I agree.

Kingsbarns is truly a wonderful golf course.

Kingsbarns is pretty good, but very Americanised and too expensive.

As wee aside, the fairmont st andrews is offering 4 balls for £160.00, same track of land as kingsbarns but under half the price.

greenlex
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
If it's cheap golf in Fife you are after you will find it haed to beat Dunnikier Park at Kirkcaldy or Glenrothes Golf Club for value. Both council owned courses but usually in terrific condition. Good layouts with nice greens.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Crail (near St Andrews) has 2 courses side by side (Balcomie and Craighead Links) and thats a nice day out. Craighead is quite a new course and Balcomie isn't too long with a few quirky holes.

Allant1981
08-07-2009, 10:34 AM

Cheers

Get yerself up to Gleneagles. you have the choice of 3 of the best courses in the country and they have some cracking deals on just now. Then again for a couple of pints i'm sure i could get something sorted so you dont have to pay:wink:

Ritchie
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
not played much golf in fife.

played Burntisland loads of times though as the guy i work with is a member there..... nice course.

http://www.burntislandgolfhouseclub.co.uk/

Sylar
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Get yerself up to Gleneagles. you have the choice of 3 of the best courses in the country and they have some cracking deals on just now. Then again for a couple of pints i'm sure i could get something sorted so you dont have to pay:wink:

Is that an open invite?! :greengrin:wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Love the Kings and Queens, but not got the fondest memory of the Centenary as I had a howler and lost all the balls in my bag by the time I was 1/2 way up the 11th? (the hole after the downhill par 3) :sairhead:

Knackered walking from the greens to tees as well :greengrin

sg7nil
14-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Definitely Musselburgh the oldest playing golf course (regardless of the number of holes) anywhere in the world. (Source Guinness Book of records). :agree:

Leith links is older but is no longer used for golf (on a regular basis - the wee pitch and putt competition that they run every year does not count)..

Plus.. Musselburgh hosted the Open 6 times :wink:

Hibrandenburg
15-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Wow, cheers guys!

Some good tips there. Just got the Mrs a voucher for 3 hours training here. Hope she catches the bug as well. :thumbsup:

Allant1981
16-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Love the Kings and Queens, but not got the fondest memory of the Centenary as I had a howler and lost all the balls in my bag by the time I was 1/2 way up the 11th? (the hole after the downhill par 3) :sairhead:

Knackered walking from the greens to tees as well :greengrin

I've lost more golf balls on the PGA than i care to rememeber. The Queens is ok but a bit easy. I prefer the kings myself

Allant1981
16-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Is that an open invite?! :greengrin:wink:

Arrive any time after 6 and bash on. The starters will have finished by then. Just keep your eye out for guys going about in mitsibushi warriors:wink:

ACLeith
18-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Leith links is older but is no longer used for golf (on a regular basis - the wee pitch and putt competition that they run every year does not count)..
The Links was where the first recorded rules of the game were written - in 1744. The annual events there are to commemorate that and to ensure that this important event in the history of the game is not forgotten about. See www.leith-rules-golf.co.uk for more info.

Bit harsh to describe it as "pitch and putt" IMO. Playing holes (one of which is over 250 yards) with hickory clubs, replica old-style balls that don't travel as far as modern ones, whilst trying to avoid lampposts, rubbish bins and assorted walkers, cyclists and dogs - definitely not "P&P" !

Back on subject, Kingbarns is defo a fantastic course, but I played it at a corporate event, so didn't cost me anything, cloudless summer's day and a caddy to boot to keep you on the straight and narrow (fat chance !) - managed to win one of their shirts, which I wore regularly till someone stole it off the washing line !

Other courses not mentioned yet and worth a thought are Aberdour, Thornton, Auchterarder (most enjoyable of these three for me).

Ed De Gramo
19-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Anstruther :agree:

was a member there for a couple of years and very enjoyable. Only 9 holes (but you could play them twice) :greengrin

After the golf you could head into town and get some rather delicious fish and chips :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool2:

Houchy
28-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Arrive any time after 6 and bash on. The starters will have finished by then. Just keep your eye out for guys going about in mitsibushi warriors:wink:

That can't be too good for the course.:greengrin

goosano
31-07-2009, 02:21 PM
There are some good suggestions in the above posts but your pocket may suffer. Kingsbarns when I last played it was £200 for 4 from our club(special discount rate). I thought Drumoig was vastly overated IMHO.

Leven Links is typical links golf-an open qualifier but can be played enjoyably by inexperienced golfers-nothing too penal but beware of the 18th! The municipal course at Leven, Scoonie, is nothing special but cheap,well kept and good fun for a beginner

Aberdour is good fun with lots of par 3's, Anstruther is a nice wee 9 hole course by the sea.Thornton is another not too expensive 18 hole parkland course. Kinghorn is another not too challenging, good value course with great views over the course

If you're playing a reasonable amount of golf there is a Fife pass (http:///www.firstinfifegolf.com/course.php?id=49)-£92 for 5 rounds for 5 rounds or £59 for 3 rounds-all decent courses if not any of the big names

Hibrandenburg
29-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Just got back a few days ago and had a great time. Joined the Cupar club as an overseas member and really enjoyed the course and the staff and members I met were really great.

Also had a go at Ansruther and Balcomie. I'll probably be back next year and will tick the rest off my list.

:thumbsup:Thanks to all:thumbsup:

P.S. Cupar is the older Golf Club because Musselburgh disbanded to move to their new 18 hole course after the 9er became over populated.

Sylar
29-10-2009, 08:32 PM
There are some good suggestions in the above posts but your pocket may suffer. Kingsbarns when I last played it was £200 for 4 from our club(special discount rate). I thought Drumoig was vastly overated IMHO.

Leven Links is typical links golf-an open qualifier but can be played enjoyably by inexperienced golfers-nothing too penal but beware of the 18th! The municipal course at Leven, Scoonie, is nothing special but cheap,well kept and good fun for a beginner

Aberdour is good fun with lots of par 3's, Anstruther is a nice wee 9 hole course by the sea.Thornton is another not too expensive 18 hole parkland course. Kinghorn is another not too challenging, good value course with great views over the course

If you're playing a reasonable amount of golf there is a Fife pass (http:///www.firstinfifegolf.com/course.php?id=49)-£92 for 5 rounds for 5 rounds or £59 for 3 rounds-all decent courses if not any of the big names

I'd have to agree with you re: Drumoig this year - played a few times this year, and wasn't anywhere near as impressed as last year - they've done a lot of work on the course in the last few years, plus, with it still being new, it's not fully set in yet, and quite long to boot!

I played Lundin Links last Friday and it was absolutely breathtaking - stunning weather and the course was pristine - the beauty was, we got on for nothing, as we were invited by a member!

Glad you had a good time HB.