da-robster
05-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Only a few hours away now so who do you think will win

Killiehibbie
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Federer for the grand slam record.

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Federer will win it without any shadow of a doubt.

Roddick just cannot beat him and despite his excellent performance against Murray in the semis, I really can't see him preventing Federer from making history.

Come on Roger! :thumbsup:

H18sry
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
:wtf: is Federer all about warmin up with the Fred Perry strides on :rolleyes:

Betty Boop
05-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Mon the Fed Express!!! :greengrin

iwasthere1972
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
If Andy Roddick can hold his serves and take the sets to a tie breaker then I think he will be in with a good chance of an upset.

That's my take on it but I know as much about tennis as Sue Barker, Tracy Austin, John Lloyd, Andrew Castle and Cliff Richards.

H18sry
05-07-2009, 01:50 PM
1st set to Roddick :wink:

hibsbollah
05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Roddick will win the first set in my opinion:agree:

iwasthere1972
05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
1st set to Roddick :wink:

:wink:

H18sry
05-07-2009, 02:33 PM
2nd set to Federer :wink: Roddick blew the tie break :grr:

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
One set all! :thumbsup:

Fed comes back from 4 set points down in the tie-break.

Come on Roger!

Lmc2105
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
that was simply brill from federer:top marks

iwasthere1972
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
One set all! :thumbsup:

Fed comes back from 4 set points down in the tie-break.

Come on Roger!

What a chance for Roddick. Think it will affect him big time and Fed will now cruise it. :grr:

Betty Boop
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Its like a who's who of celebrity in the crowd, do any ordinary folks get tickets for the final? :confused:

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
3rd set goes to Roger. Another tie-break, although he was always in control of that one.

I think that's it done and dusted now.

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Its like a who's who of celebrity in the crowd, do any ordinary folks get tickets for the final? :confused:

My dad and brother managed to get tickets for last year's final. I know what you mean though.

Michael Ballack, Russell Crowe, Alex Ferguson...

I can't see them standing for hours on end just to get in.

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 03:53 PM
We're going the distance, Roddick takes the fourth set 6-3, after being 0-30 down at 5-3.

PS-That's David Coulthard there today as well.

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 05:16 PM
14-13 to Federer in the final set.

This is absolutely fantastic entertainment. Not quite up to last year's standard, but it's enthralling all the same.

The way this is going, we could be here to midnight.

We might be needing the roof, yet! :greengrin

Westie1875
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Anyone else getting bored? Wish one of them would just hurry up and win it now :greengrin

YehButNoBut
05-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone else getting bored? Wish one of them would just hurry up and win it now :greengrin

Thinking along the same lines perhaps they should change the rules and have a tie break in the final set if it gets to 10 - 10.

Federer wins 16-14.

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Federer wins 5-7 7-6 7-6 3-6 16-14.

Well done to both players, they both put in excellent performances and it's a pity there has to be a loser, really.

Great achievement by Federer though, he has now won 15 Grand Slam titles, which is a new record.

6 Wimbledon titles
5 US Open titles
3 Australian Open titles
1 French Open title

God Petrie
05-07-2009, 05:51 PM
what a ****ing smug ****** federer is

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
what a ****ing smug ****** federer is

:confused:

I really can't understand how anyone can say a bad word about him. All the players go on about how they really should hate him, but they can't because he's such a nice guy.

I think when you are as successful as he is, you earn the right to be full of self confidence and bum yourself up, or in your words be "smug".

He is quite right to be pleased with himself. What he has achieved over the past 5 or 6 years is quite stunning.

hibsbollah
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I was listening to it on radio5 live and something strange happened. The anchorman Mark Saggers or Pougatch or one of those, seemed almost underwhelmed by what was happening, almost as if by because they overblow the hype 99% of the time with mediocre events like "Middlesbrough v Fulham RELEGATION CLASH OF THE TITANS DUEL!!!, when something genuinely monumental happens in the world of sport, they dont know how to respond.

hibee62
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
:confused:

I really can't understand how anyone can say a bad word about him. All the players go on about how they really should hate him, but they can't because he's such a nice guy.

I think when you are as successful as he is, you earn the right to be full of self confidence and bum yourself up, or in your words be "smug".

He is quite right to be pleased with himself. What he has achieved over the past 5 or 6 years is quite stunning.

When he first broke through he was a nice guy and was always very gracious, now he seems to have realised how good he is. Be it the pathetic outfits or the fact he just always seems to have an attitude of how dare you challenge me to whoever he was playing.

Tonight he did say to Roddick that he knew how he was feeling (which he doesnt) because after winning five in a row, to lose last year was awful.

Touching words, honestly...

Sir David Gray
05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
When he first broke through he was a nice guy and was always very gracious, now he seems to have realised how good he is. Be it the pathetic outfits or the fact he just always seems to have an attitude of how dare you challenge me to whoever he was playing.

Tonight he did say to Roddick that he knew how he was feeling (which he doesnt) because after winning five in a row, to lose last year was awful.

He does know how Roddick was feeling today. A year ago, it was Federer who was up receiving the runners up trophy after Nadal took "his" title from him, after five consecutive victories.

He was also in tears at the beginning of the year after Nadal beat him in the Australian Open final.

And he's also had three huge disappointments against Nadal in the French Open final.

It's not as if Roddick's a wee boy just starting out in the game. He's the former world number one and he's also won a Grand Slam. So he also knows how Federer was feeling today.

The thing is, a lot of British people very rarely bum themselves up and go on about how good they are. I think we generally have difficulty in doing that. So when we hear someone who is saying how good they are etc, we think they are arrogant and smug.

I don't have a problem with people saying how great they are, if it's actually true. You have to back that up with some substance. In Federer's case, there's plenty of evidence to back up how great he is. After all, he's widely regarded as the greatest player ever to pick up a tennis racquet.

People might not like the way that he goes on about how good he is, but no-one can argue with him because he's only telling the truth.

Betty Boop
05-07-2009, 08:15 PM
He does know how Roddick was feeling today. A year ago, it was Federer who was up receiving the runners up trophy after Nadal took "his" title from him, after five consecutive victories.

He was also in tears at the beginning of the year after Nadal beat him in the Australian Open final.

And he's also had three huge disappointments against Nadal in the French Open final.

It's not as if Roddick's a wee boy just starting out in the game. He's the former world number one and he's also won a Grand Slam. So he also knows how Federer was feeling today.

The thing is, a lot of British people very rarely bum themselves up and go on about how good they are. I think we generally have difficulty in doing that. So when we hear someone who is saying how good they are etc, we think they are arrogant and smug.

I don't have a problem with people saying how great they are, if it's actually true. You have to back that up with some substance. In Federer's case, there's plenty of evidence to back up how great he is. After all, he's widely regarded as the greatest player ever to pick up a tennis racquet.

People might not like the way that he goes on about how good he is, but no-one can argue with him because he's only telling the truth.

Agree with everything you have said there, Federer is absolute class. :agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Very true. :agree:

However, I was slightly underwhelmed by it and even though it was a last set of epic length, it was hardly that exciting :boo hoo:

The fact that Roger only broke Andy's serve once, to win. was an amazing statistic :agree:

Never seen so much baseline stuff in ages :yawn:

NaeTechnoHibby
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Mind you it's always good to see Bjorn Borg again :cool2:

It's great that him and McEnroe are such good pals :agree:

Also the old stager, Illie Nastase :thumbsup:

Hibs Class
05-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I feel for Roddick - thought he did enough to win today but nerves got the better of him, esp. in the second set tie-break. He then did amazingly well to hold his serve in the last set for 14 games running. I reckon that serving first in the last set was a major advantage for Federer as Roddick was facing sudden death on each of his service games from 4-5 onwards.

iwasthere1972
05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I feel for Roddick - thought he did enough to win today but nerves got the better of him, esp. in the second set tie-break. He then did amazingly well to hold his serve in the last set for 14 games running. I reckon that serving first in the last set was a major advantage for Federer as Roddick was facing sudden death on each of his service games from 4-5 onwards.

:agree: That's pretty much the way I was viewing the 5th set. Roddick had to hold his whereas Feds could drop his serve with the hope of breaking in the following.

Wasn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination but still a good game.

Off topic here. How the heck can these guys drink so much without (or rarely) going to the little boys room. 4+ hours that's a long time for anybody. Are they fitted with catheters? :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2009, 08:09 AM

I agree. What a pain in the arse. How he can compare losing a match when he's won in 5 times previously to someone losing a 3rd final "in the greatest tennis tournament" of them all is beyond me.

That and the poncy clothes etc really get on my paps.

Killiehibbie
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
:agree: That's pretty much the way I was viewing the 5th set. Roddick had to hold his whereas Feds could drop his serve with the hope of breaking in the following.

Wasn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination but still a good game.

Off topic here. How the heck can these guys drink so much without (or rarely) going to the little boys room. 4+ hours that's a long time for anybody. Are they fitted with catheters? :confused:

They don't need to go to the toilet it comes out of every pore.

Peevemor
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
They don't need to go to the toilet it comes out of every pore.

Exactly.

You often hear stories about footballers asked for urine samples for random drug tests who are unable to 'comply' a couple of hours after a match has finished, even though they are given water to drink.