PDA

View Full Version : My time at Wimbledon

Sir David Gray
27-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Just back yesterday from Wimbers.

I had a fantastic few days down there and the weather was brilliant. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it back with me. :bitchy:

I had tickets for Centre Court on Monday and I saw Federer, Serena and Djokovic. My tickets were courtside, did anyone see me on the telly? I had my Hibs top on.

Djokovic's match against Benneteau was brilliant and definitely the pick of the bunch.

On the Tuesday, I had tickets for Court Two but when I got in, I asked if they had any spare seats for Centre Court because I really wanted to see Murray.

Fortunately they had one set of tickets returned, so I took them.

Along with Murray, I also saw Roddick and Venus. No-one would have seen me on Tuesday as I was in the back row.

I tried to get in again on Thursday but I got told that the non-ticket holders queue was about 5 hours long (that was just to get into the Wimbledon grounds, not to get into a show court). Needless to say, I didn't hang around.

It was absolutely brilliant being in Centre Court though and getting to see Murray just topped it all off. Although his performance against Kendrick wasn't the best, he still did well to come through it.

His two subsequent performances against Gulbis and Troicki have been phenomenal and if he continues to play like that, I really can't see anyone beating him.

Anyway, I'm really glad that I was there and I hope to go back down again next year.

C'mon, Andy! :thumbsup:

Jack
27-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Good on you!

Aye Andy is doing well. Maybe not suprisingly the pubs on Easter Road are bouncin' when he's on.

Definately saw a Hibs top in the crowd the other night so maybe you did get your 0.15 seconds of fame!

iwasthere1972
27-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I had a fantastic few days down there and the weather was brilliant. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it back with me. :bitchy:

I had tickets for Centre Court on Monday and I saw Federer, Serena and Djokovic. My tickets were courtside, did anyone see me on the telly? I had my Hibs top on.

Djokovic's match against Benneteau was brilliant and definitely the pick of the bunch.

On the Tuesday, I had tickets for Court Two but when I got in, I asked if they had any spare seats for Centre Court because I really wanted to see Murray.

Along with Murray, I also saw Roddick and Venus. No-one would have seen me on Tuesday as I was in the back row.

I tried to get in again on Thursday but I got told that the non-ticket holders queue was about 5 hours long (that was just to get into the Wimbledon grounds, not to get into a show court). Needless to say, I didn't hang around.

It was absolutely brilliant being in Centre Court though and getting to see Murray just topped it all off. Although his performance against Kendrick wasn't the best, he still did well to come through it.

His two subsequent performances against Gulbis and Troicki have been phenomenal and if he continues to play like that, I really can't see anyone beating him.

Anyway, I'm really glad that I was there and I hope to go back down again next year.

Well done. I can't confess to being a big tennis fan (watched Wimbledon in the past but that's about all) but with Andy Murray now flying the flag for GB I suspect that more people like me are now regularly watching it.

Some of the tennis played by Andy Murray this evening was IMHO out of this world. His game has come on so much over the past year and today he looked so comfortable and was never in danger of losing it. Thought Andy Roddick also played well.

There's so much pressure on Murray to win Wimbers this year especially with Nadal unable to compete. I would hope that he would at least get to the final but if this year he doesn't win it then I'm sure it won't be long before he does. He's certainly a better prospect than Tim Henman was. :agree:

C'mon Andy. :thumbsup:

Just Jimmy
28-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Aye defo seen the Hibs top.

Sir David Gray
28-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Good on you!

Aye Andy is doing well. Maybe not suprisingly the pubs on Easter Road are bouncin' when he's on.

Definately saw a Hibs top in the crowd the other night so maybe you did get your 0.15 seconds of fame!

Aye defo seen the Hibs top.

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Well done. I can't confess to being a big tennis fan (watched Wimbledon in the past but that's about all) but with Andy Murray now flying the flag for GB I suspect that more people like me are now regularly watching it.

Some of the tennis played by Andy Murray this evening was IMHO out of this world. His game has come on so much over the past year and today he looked so comfortable and was never in danger of losing it. Thought Andy Roddick also played well.

There's so much pressure on Murray to win Wimbers this year especially with Nadal unable to compete. I would hope that he would at least get to the final but if this year he doesn't win it then I'm sure it won't be long before he does. He's certainly a better prospect than Tim Henman was. :agree:

C'mon Andy. :thumbsup:

Murray has been outstanding so far. I know his three opponents up until now haven't been the greatest but you can only beat what's in front of you.

He's in the last 16 now and this is when it starts to get serious. He plays his big friend Stanislas Wawrinka tomorrow. He has never been past the fourth round at Wimbledon before and Murray has won their previous two encounters. They have had just one Grand Slam encounter before, which was in the US Open last year when Murray advanced to the final.

If he beats Wawrinka, he'll then face either Juan Carlos Ferrero or Gilles Simon in the Quarter Finals. I know that Ferrero is a former world number one but he is past his best and I think Murray would take care of him in straight sets. Simon would be slightly trickier as he is the number eight seed, but I still think that with the way Murray is playing right now, he would beat him too.

If he wins that, his possible semi final opponents will be Lleyton Hewitt, Radek Stepanek, Tomas Berdych or Andy Roddick.

To be honest, I don't want to get overly confident but, I really can't see Murray not being in the final this year. I don't think any of those players will cause him many problems.

It'll hopefully just be a case of whether or not he will be able to hold his nerve in the final.

PS-The strawberries and cream are first class. :thumbsup:

Hibee-Bongo
28-06-2009, 06:35 PM
How much does it cost to go? Im off to London next week and we were thinking about it for a day/

The Mook
28-06-2009, 07:25 PM
How much does it cost to go? Im off to London next week and we were thinking about it for a day/

its 20 bucks for a ground pass, 14 after 5PM.

Beware though, as we had to que for about 4 hours on the Thursday. It is worth it when you get in though, even my tennis averse Mrs was blown away. We watched Wawrinkas' game, the guy who plays Murray next round.

Intended to go on Friday but were told it was at least a 5 hr wait so went into town and did the tourist thing instead.

I would also menion if Murray isnt on Centre Court on your day you would have a decent chance of blagging your way on the show court - either by buying one of the re-sold tickets up by the Hill or if you have the brass neck, ask folk coming out for their tickets as a lot of folk have had enough by about 5,6PM. Worked for me about 3 or 4 years ago, saw Nadal on Centre for hee haw :thumbsup:

If youre down there anyway I would def recommend going.

bingo70
28-06-2009, 07:26 PM

From what i've seen of his last 2 matches he looks like he's been absolutely phenomenal, however to beat Federer at wimbledon he'll have to knock it up a notch or two yet.

IMO Federer is going to walk it this year, the only person who could have stopped him was Nadal. I know Murray has an excellent record over him, however beating him at Wimbledon is a different story all together, hope i'm wrong though.

At the start of Murrays career i completely wrote off the chances of him ever winning a major as i just didn't think he was in the same league as Nadal and Federer, however he's really surprised me with his progress over the last couple of years and i now think that he will win a major, i just think that major will be the US open.

Sir David Gray
28-06-2009, 07:58 PM

If you don't have tickets, you can queue to get in and the first 600 people get tickets for Centre Court. Be aware though that in order to be in the first 600, you'll have to start queuing the night before.

Ground passes for non-ticket holders cost £20 tomorrow, £17 on Tuesday and Wednesday, £16 on Thursday, £15 on Friday and Saturday and £8 on Sunday. All those prices are for before 5pm. It's cheaper after that time.

Ground passes only get you access to the grounds and the outside courts. You have to pay an additional fee to get tickets for Centre Court, Court One and Court Two.

To get into any of those courts next week, it costs the following;

Centre

Monday/Tuesday-£65
Wednesday/Thursday-£75
Friday/Saturday-£84
Sunday-£91

Court One

Monday/Tuesday-£60
Wednesday-£68
Thursday-£45
Friday-£30
Saturday-£28
Sunday-£25

Court Two

Monday-£42
Tuesday-£33
Wednesday-£30

It's not cheap but if you can get into Centre Court, I would highly recommend it.

Even if you can just get into the grounds, you could watch the matches on the big screen on Aorangi Terrace AKA Henman Hill, Murray Mount etc.

During Murray's matches, the hill is packed and if the weather's nice, it's a great way to spend the day.

Sir David Gray
28-06-2009, 08:14 PM
From what i've seen of his last 2 matches he looks like he's been absolutely phenomenal, however to beat Federer at wimbledon he'll have to knock it up a notch or two yet.

IMO Federer is going to walk it this year, the only person who could have stopped him was Nadal. I know Murray has an excellent record over him, however beating him at Wimbledon is a different story all together, hope i'm wrong though.

At the start of Murrays career i completely wrote off the chances of him ever winning a major as i just didn't think he was in the same league as Nadal and Federer, however he's really surprised me with his progress over the last couple of years and i now think that he will win a major, i just think that major will be the US open.

Beating Federer will be tough but I think Murray has the ability and the belief to do it. I think Murray has the Indian sign over him and I don't think Federer would enjoy playing Murray in the final.

I think Murray will have learned a lot from his US Open final appearance last year and I don't think he will be fazed like he was in that match.

Bear in mind that there's not even any guarantee that Federer will make the final. He has a harder passage to the final as he will potentially face Novak Djokovic in the semis and he has been playing extremely well too.

I just have a feeling that Murray will do it this year.

its 20 bucks for a ground pass, 14 after 5PM.

Beware though, as we had to que for about 4 hours on the Thursday. It is worth it when you get in though, even my tennis averse Mrs was blown away. We watched Wawrinkas' game, the guy who plays Murray next round.

Intended to go on Friday but were told it was at least a 5 hr wait so went into town and did the tourist thing instead.

I would also menion if Murray isnt on Centre Court on your day you would have a decent chance of blagging your way on the show court - either by buying one of the re-sold tickets up by the Hill or if you have the brass neck, ask folk coming out for their tickets as a lot of folk have had enough by about 5,6PM. Worked for me about 3 or 4 years ago, saw Nadal on Centre for hee haw :thumbsup:

If youre down there anyway I would def recommend going.

I tried to get in on the Thursday but I was told that I wouldn't get in until 5 or 6pm.

So we went to Portsmouth for the day instead. It was a beautiful day down there.

Hibee-Bongo
28-06-2009, 09:29 PM
If you don't have tickets, you can queue to get in and the first 600 people get tickets for Centre Court. Be aware though that in order to be in the first 600, you'll have to start queuing the night before.

Ground passes for non-ticket holders cost £20 tomorrow, £17 on Tuesday and Wednesday, £16 on Thursday, £15 on Friday and Saturday and £8 on Sunday. All those prices are for before 5pm. It's cheaper after that time.

Ground passes only get you access to the grounds and the outside courts. You have to pay an additional fee to get tickets for Centre Court, Court One and Court Two.

To get into any of those courts next week, it costs the following;

Centre

Monday/Tuesday-£65
Wednesday/Thursday-£75
Friday/Saturday-£84
Sunday-£91

Court One

Monday/Tuesday-£60
Wednesday-£68
Thursday-£45
Friday-£30
Saturday-£28
Sunday-£25

Court Two

Monday-£42
Tuesday-£33
Wednesday-£30

It's not cheap but if you can get into Centre Court, I would highly recommend it.

Even if you can just get into the grounds, you could watch the matches on the big screen on Aorangi Terrace AKA Henman Hill, Murray Mount etc.

During Murray's matches, the hill is packed and if the weather's nice, it's a great way to spend the day.

Cheers! Going to London next week so think we might take the wee trip. Yeh think are plan was to camp out at the hill, take it you can pre-book tickets for the grounds in advance?

Sir David Gray
28-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Cheers! Going to London next week so think we might take the wee trip. Yeh think are plan was to camp out at the hill, take it you can pre-book tickets for the grounds in advance?

I'm not sure but I think that, unless you have tickets, you just have to queue on the day.

I could be wrong though so don't quote me on that.