PDA

View Full Version : Ivo Karlovic(Tennis)

Speedy
26-06-2009, 02:20 PM
His serve is unreal, playing Tsonga just now.

Fancied putting a bet on Karlovic at 6/4 or Tsonga to win over 5 sets, not sure what the price was...but never put either on.

cleanyman
26-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Its 1-1 now.
I like Karlovic, just a shame his groundstrokes arent that great.

cleanyman
26-06-2009, 03:29 PM
2-1 the Karlovic!

cleanyman
26-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh ya beauty, Karlovic wins.

Speedy
26-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I missed the end of it because my "red button" didn't work. Watched the women instead.

Karlovic could be a danger in the next round, don't think he has what it takes to win it though.

Randerson_4
26-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Heard a great quote from Roddick and Queens after he beat him, something along the lines of 'its like hes serving out of a tree'

Unbelievable power in his serve, and very consistent. I think any player with a good serve and decent return will beat him as he isnt much of a player in rallies

Speedy
26-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Heard a great quote from Roddick and Queens after he beat him, something along the lines of 'its like hes serving out of a tree'

Unbelievable power in his serve, and very consistent. I think any player with a good serve and decent return will beat him as he isnt much of a player in rallies

I think it will take more than a decent return but I agree that he won't do so well when he meets a top player

Speedy
29-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Just beat Verdasco, plays Federer in the quarters

Sir David Gray
29-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I find him extremely boring to watch and a Karlovic-Roddick match would be my worst nightmare.

I know serving is a crucial part of the game but when someone is able to return his serve, he doesn't have too many weapons. His backhand in particular is dreadful.

I hope Federer hammers him in the quarters.

--------
29-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I find him extremely boring to watch and a Karlovic-Roddick match would be my worst nightmare.

I know serving is a crucial part of the game but when someone is able to return his serve, he doesn't have too many weapons. His backhand in particular is dreadful.

I hope Federer hammers him in the quarters.

Actually, I'd kinda like him to beat Federer... :rolleyes:

He HAS beaten Roddick, Haas, and Djokovic in the past, but only over three sets, IIRC. He's also beaten Federer, again over 3 sets, in July last year.

He lost to Andy Roddick at Queen's Club in 2005, 7-6, 7-6. Neither man dropped a service game, IIRC, both sets being decided on the tie-break.

[The longest rally was of two shots, and took place when Roddick finally managed to get his racquet to one of Karlovic's serves. Every other point in the match was an ace.

Several of the spectators died of boredom, and one spontaneously combusted during the second set tie-break. The umpire and three line-judges later committed suicide.

There is now an little-known but scrupulously-observed rule in men's tennis, to the effect that Roddick and Karlovic are ALWAYS to be seeded to meet well before the final of any tournament. Failure to observe this rule is punishable by death. :wink: ]

Randerson_4
30-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I would agree that it is boring to watch, but at the same time its absolutely fantastic when he double faults, or hits a weak second serve and looses a point. 9 times out of 10 he whacks down another ace. Think he will trouble Federer, but as much as id like him to beat Fed, cant see it happening

Sir David Gray
30-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Actually, I'd kinda like him to beat Federer... :rolleyes:

He HAS beaten Roddick, Haas, and Djokovic in the past, but only over three sets, IIRC. He's also beaten Federer, again over 3 sets, in July last year.

He lost to Andy Roddick at Queen's Club in 2005, 7-6, 7-6. Neither man dropped a service game, IIRC, both sets being decided on the tie-break.

[The longest rally was of two shots, and took place when Roddick finally managed to get his racquet to one of Karlovic's serves. Every other point in the match was an ace.

Several of the spectators died of boredom, and one spontaneously combusted during the second set tie-break. The umpire and three line-judges later committed suicide.

There is now an little-known but scrupulously-observed rule in men's tennis, to the effect that Roddick and Karlovic are ALWAYS to be seeded to meet well before the final of any tournament. Failure to observe this rule is punishable by death. :wink: ]

He has indeed beaten Roddick once, over three sets, 3-6 7-6 7-6 (there's a surprise...).

They have played each other five times in total and have played nine tie-breaks out of twelve sets. :zzzzz!:

He leads Tommy Haas 4-1. All but one of his four victories have come in straight sets.

He is tied 1-1 against Djokovic and his victory was 7-6 7-6.

I know why you're saying that you hope Karlovic beats Federer, but I just think that for the sake of tennis, it would be much better if Federer wins.

I hope it is a Murray-Federer final and obviously I hope Murray wins. As much as I like Roger Federer, there will be no split loyalties should they meet on Sunday.

I think Murray is more than capable of beating Federer. He now knows what to expect in a Grand Slam final, so it won't be unknown territory for him. He also has a fantastic head-to-head record against Federer, with that win over Murray in last year's US Open final being one of only two occasions where Federer has got the better of Murray.

If he gets his serving back on track, like it was against Gulbis and Troicki, I think he can do it.

Randerson_4
30-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Am I right in saying Murray beat Karlovic in the US Open last year?

Aswell as his record against Federer, he has a fairly decent record against everyone left i think

beat Ferrero at Queens, only meeting IIRC

Beat Djokovic earlier this year

Beat Roddick at Wimbledon a few years back

Sir David Gray
30-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Am I right in saying Murray beat Karlovic in the US Open last year?

Aswell as his record against Federer, he has a fairly decent record against everyone left i think

beat Ferrero at Queens, only meeting IIRC

Beat Djokovic earlier this year

Beat Roddick at Wimbledon a few years back

No, he didn't play him at the US Open. He has a 3-0 lead against Karlovic and these wins came in Masters events in Cincinnati and Indian Wells and also a tournament in San Jose.

Against all the players in the 1/4 finals, Murray's head-to-head is;

Karlovic 0-3 Murray
Hewitt 0-1 Murray
Roddick 2-6 Murray (including once at Wimbledon)
Ferrero 0-1 Murray
Haas 1-2 Murray (including once at Wimbledon)
Federer 2-6 Murray
Djokovic 4-3 Murray

He has a winning record against everyone that is left in the draw, apart from Novak Djokovic and although he is down 4-3 in that particular head-to-head, Murray has won the last three meetings between them. All in straight sets, too.

It bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

Hibernian Verse
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Quite possibly the worst tennis player to ever reach the Wimbledon 1/4 finals. He's living on his serve and can't play basic shots. :grr:

--------
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
No, he didn't play him at the US Open. He has a 3-0 lead against Karlovic and these wins came in Masters events in Cincinnati and Indian Wells and also a tournament in San Jose.

Against all the players in the 1/4 finals, Murray's head-to-head is;

Karlovic 0-3 Murray
Hewitt 0-1 Murray
Roddick 2-6 Murray (including once at Wimbledon)
Ferrero 0-1 Murray
Haas 1-2 Murray (including once at Wimbledon)
Federer 2-6 Murray
Djokovic 4-3 Murray

He has a winning record against everyone that is left in the draw, apart from Novak Djokovic and although he is down 4-3 in that particular head-to-head, Murray has won the last three meetings between them. All in straight sets, too.

It bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

Djokovic is out.... :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Djokovic is out.... :rolleyes:

Yep, fantastic performance by Tommy Haas today to put Djokovic out.

It's also a great result for Murray.

Also, the fact that Roddick and Hewitt went to five sets today and spent almost 4 hours on court is excellent news for Murray as he now plays Roddick in the semis on Friday.

Everything seems to be pointing towards a Murray-Federer final on Sunday and I just hope it ends up that way.

cleanyman
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Yep, fantastic performance by Tommy Haas today to put Djokovic out.

It's also a great result for Murray.

Also, the fact that Roddick and Hewitt went to five sets today and spent almost 4 hours on court is excellent news for Murray as he now plays Roddick in the semis on Friday.

Everything seems to be pointing towards a Murray-Federer final on Sunday and I just hope it ends up that way.

Oh well.

cleanyman
04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Quite possibly the worst tennis player to ever reach the Wimbledon 1/4 finals. He's living on his serve and can't play basic shots. :grr:

Hes actually a nice guy and his groundstrokes have actually improved. He beat top players to get there including Tsonga and Verdasco.