PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Fletch to Blackburn, Burnley or god knows where (old thread merged)

blaikie
26-06-2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/110056/Allardyce-chases-Hibs-hitman

Fletch isn't looking to good in that pic :faf:

The_Horde
26-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Jesus, looks like a cross between Caldwell and an Albino frog who's been eating far too many flies.

CRAZYHIBBY
26-06-2009, 06:31 AM

jeez hes a ringer for that cauldwell fellow eh:greengrin

PaulSmith
26-06-2009, 06:41 AM

£4m being quoted again. Please let this be true.

SON OF PADDY
26-06-2009, 06:49 AM
£4m being quoted again. Please let this be true.

Right I'll start the car !!! Fletch you grap your coat we're leaving for Blackburn :duck:

Craig_in_Prague
26-06-2009, 07:01 AM
HaHa, I hope Allardyce isn't expecting a decent striker arriving at training, soon to realise he paid 4M for a slow centre half :greengrin

In all seriousness, 4M for Fletch would be excellent. Get the stand built, and then future sales only means = money back into the team.

Steve20
26-06-2009, 07:03 AM
In all seriousness, 4M for Fletch would be excellent. Get the stand built, and then future sales only means = money back into the team.

:faf:

There will be more excuses why we can't put money back into the team.

Craig_in_Prague
26-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Like what?

We should trust the board at the club. I know I do.

Look at where the club is now compared to 5 or 10 years ago, and in a couple of years we'll hopefully have a completed stadium, little/manageable/no debt, and the best crop of youngsters coming into the 1st team.

With the capital structure in place, of course future player sales will go back into the footballing side of things.
What's so funny. :confused:

Leithenhibby
26-06-2009, 07:12 AM

:yawn:

Like setanta going belly -up, people losing there jobs and in general not a lot of money around :cool2: aye, lets spend,spend,spend...:grr:

Green Man
26-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't believe a thing the Express says. I'd be happy to be proved wrong here though - if he does leave, I'd love to see him at Blackburn.

Bostonhibby
26-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Jeez, whats happened to the poor guys face, I think you can get ointment for it, preparation X I think its called. Apparently its an essential for the Celtc minded.:wink:

LancsHibs
26-06-2009, 07:30 AM
If true, should make the pre season game at Ewood a little more interesting:agree:

PaulSmith
26-06-2009, 07:33 AM

Cards on the table then Steve, why you think that any future sales (post East Stand) will not be spent on the team and your rationale behind your thinking?

Hibby D
26-06-2009, 07:35 AM
If they can't get the photo right it stands to reason that the report is a lot of nonsense too :bitchy:

J-C
26-06-2009, 07:51 AM
No. he's turned into Pizzaman.:greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 09:00 AM
They've just recieved £21m from Santa Cruz and Derbyshire, Petrie will know this :agree:

M8UDB
26-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Fletch is a good player but going to Blackburn to replace Roque Santa Cruz!!! Fletch isnt half the player Santa Cruz is. Would much rather he went there than down the M8 tho.

bingo70
26-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Fletch is a good player but going to Blackburn to replace Roque Santa Cruz!!! Fletch isnt half the player Santa Cruz is. Would much rather he went there than down the M8 tho.

Wouldn't have thought Fletch would be brought to replace Santa Cruz, i imagine they'll buy someone high profile to replace him.

I would expect they see Fletch as someone with potential that could be a good squad player, hopefully that settles into premiership life quickly then puts pressure on their main strike force.

What strikers do balackburn currently have? Can only think of Benni Mccarthy :confused:

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 09:12 AM
They currently have McCarthy and Jason Roberts, and Chris Samba under Allardyce's logic...

I really dont think Blackburn is the right club for him, they playa very long ball style of play under Allardyce, which he had a lot of success with at Bolton. This would not suit Fletcher, he is decent in the air but not a great physical specemine to bomb it up to, especially against PL central defenders. However, he has been linked with Wigan, and with Martinez in, he has promised football to feet and a good brand of football, where Fletcher's attributes would be better utilised...

Craig_in_Prague
26-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Wouldn't have thought Fletch would be brought to replace Santa Cruz, i imagine they'll buy someone high profile to replace him.

I would expect they see Fletch as someone with potential that could be a good squad player, hopefully that settles into premiership life quickly then puts pressure on their main strike force.

What strikers do balackburn currently have? Can only think of Benni Mccarthy :confused:

Jason Roberts,
Diouf,

Derbyshire (has left?), Julio Santz Cruz?

Certainly not too much at the club, and Fletch IMO is capable of holding his own down there. Out with the top 4, the league is vastly overrated.

matty_f
26-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Jason Roberts,
Diouf,

Derbyshire (has left?), Julio Santz Cruz?

Certainly not too much at the club, and Fletch IMO is capable of holding his own down there. Out with the top 4, the league is vastly overrated.

:agree:

I don't think Fletcher is over-rated, I think we as a support under-rate him, tbh.

He's a much better player than he's given credit for on here.

bingo70
26-06-2009, 09:17 AM
They currently have McCarthy and Jason Roberts, and Chris Samba under Allardyce's logic...

If you go on the logic that most managers want 4 forwards then it could be quite feasable that they might want Fletch, they'll have their main 2 strikers, i imagine that'd be Mccarthy and whoever replaces Santa Cruz, they'd also then have an experienced back up in Roberts and a young forward with potential in Fletch.

I wouldn't have thought Allardyce would have wanted to play Samba up front but felt he was probably lacking options.

IMO this move would be good for all parties, especially at the £4m price thats being quoted.

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 09:18 AM
So you wouldnt agree with the logic in the rest of my post regarding Blackburn's playing style?

If Fletch was to go to Blackburn, and any compensation fee would have been given for Bryan Hodge who is still under contract, perhaps it could be waved with this deal, also wouldnt mind the young striker Gallagher coming the other way as part of the deal. Is over 6 foot, spent last season on loan at Plymouth and did well, and can play on the right wing, and has been given a fill cap by Scotland...

woody47
26-06-2009, 09:21 AM

I don't think Fletcher is over-rated, I think we as a support under-rate him, tbh.

Agree 100%. Sick to death of all these so called experts that love to slate him. Yes he only uses his left foot but there are many top class players that do the same. Reason IMO thet Fletch gets stick is becuase of the cr@p that comes out of the weege press and people actually believe it :grr:
Just look at this story, might have some truth in it, might not but to show a picture of caldwell just proves how sh !t these journallists really are.

I for one think we will miss Fletch when he moves on, but good luck to him if he does, as long as he has sense enough not to go west!

bingo70
26-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Absolutely agree, these threads normally annoy me as he doesn't get the credit that his overall play deserves.

There's no denying that he didn't have the best of time in front of goal last season, however his link up play is superb IMO, his touch in tight situations was excellent as he had to keep coming deep into busy areas to get the ball as he was getting no help from midfield (as we were normally playing without one).

That said though, i still think that £4m is a hell of a good price for him and if we could get that i'd be pretty happy.

Craig_in_Prague
26-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Agree 100%. Sick to death of all these so called experts that love to slate him. Yes he only uses his left foot but there are many top class players that do the same. Reason IMO thet Fletch gets stick is becuase of the cr@p that comes out of the weege press and people actually believe it :grr:
Just look at this story, might have some truth in it, might not but to show a picture of caldwell just proves how sh !t these journallists really are.

I for one think we will miss Fletch when he moves on, but good luck to him if he does, as long as he has sense enough not to go west!

At the end of the day, if we bring through players like Fletch, this is the scenario we should all want -> a good few years playing well for Hibs, get's into national team, he get's a good move and the club get a nice return... A pat on the back and wish him well on his way.

It's a shame some fans don't appreciate what's in front of them whilst he's here.....

bingo70
26-06-2009, 09:33 AM
So you wouldnt agree with the logic in the rest of my post regarding Blackburn's playing style?

If Fletch was to go to Blackburn, and any compensation fee would have been given for Bryan Hodge who is still under contract, perhaps it could be waved with this deal, also wouldnt mind the young striker Gallagher coming the other way as part of the deal. Is over 6 foot, spent last season on loan at Plymouth and did well, and can play on the right wing, and has been given a fill cap by Scotland...

the rest of your post wasn't there when i quoted you :wink:

TBH i've no idea how Blackburn play so i couldn't say if what you say is true or not, what i would say is though that i think he's better in the air than you give him credit for and i don't think the prospect of facing the Premiership defenders is that big a deal, as Craig in prague says, outside the top 4 its a hugely over rated league.

He may not be a great physical presence but he is excellent at holding the ball up, he can also come deep and link up play which is something that many PL defenders struggle to deal with, as well as being left sided which is going to be a benefit to a team as well.

If Fletch was to go there i'd like it to be cash only, once we've got the money we can have a proper scout around and if it appears that the guys you mention are the best thats out there then we can always go back for them, i don't see why we should limit ourselves to targetting players from one club when there's hundreds of players out there we cold be looking at.

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 09:47 AM
the rest of your post wasn't there when i quoted you :wink:

TBH i've no idea how Blackburn play so i couldn't say if what you say is true or not, what i would say is though that i think he's better in the air than you give him credit for and i don't think the prospect of facing the Premiership defenders is that big a deal, as Craig in prague says, outside the top 4 its a hugely over rated league.

Really do have to disagree with this, there are centre backs outside the top 4 that are better than anything Fletcher has faced before; Woodgate, King, Dawson, Jagielka, Lescott, Yobo, Dunne, C Davies, Cuellar, and even the lower clubs in the division have the likes of Distin, Campbell, Kaboul, Samba, Nelsen, Cahill, Hangelaand, Turner, Upson, etc.

In comparison to the likes of McManus and Wilkie that he is used to facing, there is no comparison...

Petrie's Tache
26-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Really do have to disagree with this, there are centre backs outside the top 4 that are better than anything Fletcher has faced before; Woodgate, King, Dawson, Jagielka, Lescott, Yobo, Dunne, C Davies, Cuellar, and even the lower clubs in the division have the likes of Distin, Campbell, Kaboul, Samba, Nelsen, Cahill, Hangelaand, Turner, Upson, etc.

In comparison to the likes of McManus and Wilkie that he is used to facing, there is no comparison...

He not faced him before?

bingo70
26-06-2009, 09:52 AM

There's no doubting it'll be a massive step up, however i just don't believe the leagues as good as the hype would suggest and IMO Fletch could well be a success down there.

Bye the way, to put the £4m we're asking for in perspective, noticed Hertz are looking for £4.3m for Driver

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/football-rumours-gossip/2009/06/26/hearts-want-4-3m-for-andrew-driver-92746-23987014/

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 10:04 AM
He not faced him before?

The only comment you have to make is to mention the one person out of over 10 that he has played against before?...

bingo70
26-06-2009, 10:09 AM
The only comment you have to make is to mention the one person out of over 10 that he has played against before?...

What about the fact, despite the impressive list of names you mention, every week you watch the highlights and see premiership defences making pretty basic mistakes.

No-ones denying it's a good league, however i think people can get a bit carried away by the hype and believe it's better than it actually is, IMO fletch has all the attributes to be a success down there, especially if he can find his confidence in front of goal again.

I know he's one footed but so are the majority of players.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I think Fletcher would do fine in the EPL. He's no torres, but would fit in with the lower class players in the bottom 10 teams. He will enjoy the money players make these days, and hopefully it will harden him up a bit should he go down south. I would like another season out of him at hibs, not sure if we will get it though.

bingo70
26-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I think Fletcher would do fine in the EPL. He's no torres, but would fit in with the lower class players in the bottom 10 teams. He will enjoy the money players make these days, and hopefully it will harden him up a bit should he go down south. I would like another season out of him at hibs, not sure if we will get it though.

Thats pretty much how i see it, if the likes of Paul Dickov can build a succesfull premiership career i see no reason why Fletch can't do the same

Broken Gnome
26-06-2009, 10:25 AM

:agree: If Mixu was still here then he'd be off his head to stay at Hibs, he'd have been far better finding a team down south that would supply him with better service and better movement. Now that there's the prospect of a 'new' Hibs then there's every chance he could improve with another season here, but I'd suspect there's been a bit too much transfer talk for him not to be tempted away though.

Steve20
26-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Cards on the table then Steve, why you think that any future sales (post East Stand) will not be spent on the team and your rationale behind your thinking?

Maybe I worded it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I praised the club when they paid the money to bring Deek back.

However, we were told after the O'Connor sale that the money for the training centre was all in place. Then after the next couple of sales, it was going towards the training centre again instead of the team. Why,if the money was already in place? If people think that all the money from future sales will be heading straight into the team, then prepared to be disappointed.

FWIW I like the East the way it is and would rather the Fletcher money went on the team now.

bingo70
26-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Maybe I worded it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I praised the club when they paid the money to bring Deek back.

However, we were told after the O'Connor sale that the money for the training centre was all in place. Then after the next couple of sales, it was going towards the training centre again instead of the team. Why, if the money was already in place?

FWIW I like the East the way it is, and would rather the Fletcher money went on the team now.

IIRC we had the money for the training centre, but in a loan, when we got the cash it made sense to use our own money instead of borrowing off someone else and having to pay interest on it.

The problem with putting it into the team is that by the time you include signing on fees and high wages then it won't actually last that long and what happens when the money runs out? we're left with players we can't afford. If we improve the infrastructure of the club then we can continually grow the club at a rate we can afford to.

I know any money coming into the club is going to be used for the benefit of the club and that's good enough for me.

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-06-2009, 11:14 AM
There's no doubting it'll be a massive step up, however i just don't believe the leagues as good as the hype would suggest and IMO Fletch could well be a success down there.

Bye the way, to put the £4m we're asking for in perspective, noticed Hertz are looking for £4.3m for Driver

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/football-rumours-gossip/2009/06/26/hearts-want-4-3m-for-andrew-driver-92746-23987014/ Driver's not even half the player Fletch is! But if we all lived in the same deluded Yam world then Fletch must be worth at least £10m!

Cocaine&Caviar
26-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Once again I agree with you, money spent on players generally doesn't last long in comparison to a training centre or east stand; however if we were to spend fees on guys like Naismith when we could have, or Arfield currently at Falkirk, he would be getting regular games at a higher level with more exposure, and in a few years we could sell them on at a good profit, McArthur of Hamilton is another example...

3pm
26-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't see the problem. Barring serious injury, I think it's win-win for Hibs. He stays and scores a 12-15 goals (Maybe more if we play the right way) or he goes and we get a good fee.

Everyone has a price. I like Fletcher, but we'd cope if he left. Better players than Steven have left and we've survived.

Hermit Crab
26-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Well if he goes to England its better than him heading along the M8 to one of the bigot brothers.

blaikie
26-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see the problem. Barring serious injury, I think it's win-win for Hibs. He stays and scores a 12-15 goals (Maybe more if we play the right way) or he goes and we get a good fee.

Everyone has a price. I like Fletcher, but we'd cope if he left. Better players than Steven have left and we've survived.
:top marks
Fletch can be replaced, Would like to see a pairing of Riordan and Nish up front next season :agree:

ano hibby
26-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Whilst I want to agree with the positive comments on Fletch and him being under-rated there is a glaring omission here. He is so embarassingly one-footed that this definitely detracts from his value. The first tap in at the back post for his right foot which he tries to put in with his left and mucks it up & he'll be consigned to the bench for any EPL team. Like Burley perhaps other see him as a left sided midefielder though.

Be delighted with £4m & would go with best wishes and thanks for effort & work rate.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Whilst I want to agree with the positive comments on Fletch and him being under-rated there is a glaring omission here. He is so embarassingly one-footed that this definitely detracts from his value.

Never really understood this, riordan apart, how many hibs players are two footed? Most are crap with their weaker foot, its just fletchers happens to be his right, and more obvious.:confused:

Col_0762
26-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Never really understood this, riordan apart, how many hibs players are two footed? Most are crap with their weaker foot, its just fletchers happens to be his right, and more obvious.:confused:

I think what annoys folk is he makes no attempt to use his right foot. Every ball he recieves he takes with his left. The amount of chances he missed going for balls with the outside of his left foot instead of guiding the ball into the net with his right was shocking. Other players at least attempt to use their weaker foot when they should. Fletch needs to work on this as it would make him a 20 goal a season forward.

Andy74
26-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Yep, I've argued this before, with little luck.

It's because, to most of us, being left footed seems wrong or unnatural.

I don't think I have ever, even once, heard a right footed player being criticised for not having even a half decent left foot.

basehibby
26-06-2009, 12:35 PM

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/football-rumours-gossip/2009/06/26/hearts-want-4-3m-for-andrew-driver-92746-23987014/

If hertz get anything near 4.3M for Driver, Hibs should bump up the price for Fletch to 8M as the market would surely have been underestimated. :agree:

Seriously though - Hertz are having a right laugh asking for anything like that for Driver - a good player right enough but if he's worth 4.3M then Hertz are currently Champions League champions and the last 2 years has all just been a ghastly nightmare for the denizens of the piggery.

dangermouse
26-06-2009, 12:40 PM
If hertz get anything near 4.3M for Driver, Hibs should bump up the price for Fletch to 8M as the market would surely have been underestimated. :agree:

Seriously though - Hertz are having a right laugh asking for anything like that for Driver - a good player right enough but if he's worth 4.3M then Hertz are currently Champions League champions and the last 2 years has all just been a ghastly nightmare for the denizens of the piggery.

Wouldn't surprise me if Driver left for £1.5M

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I think what annoys folk is he makes no attempt to use his right foot. Every ball he recieves he takes with his left. The amount of chances he missed going for balls with the outside of his left foot instead of guiding the ball into the net with his right was shocking. Other players at least attempt to use their weaker foot when they should. Fletch needs to work on this as it would make him a 20 goal a season forward.

This i will agree with, but thats decision making, perhaps the guy that coaches him should be sacked? :wink: When playing in the normal run of a game, fletchers right foot it no worse than say alan obriens right foot, or chris hoggs left foot.

Hermit Crab
26-06-2009, 12:57 PM

I don't think I have ever, even once, heard a right footed player being criticised for not having even a half decent left foot.

I know what you mean im both left handed and left footed. Its hard to do things on your weaker side and some people say to me how can right left handed- answer is its easy it natural, same for fletch. Yeah he should have tried to use his right side more i remember him missing an open goal at Tannadice when we were 2 nil up but hes still young and has time to learn yet. Get a good price for him 3-4 mil and its happy days for both hibs and fletch.:greengrin

blackhibee
26-06-2009, 01:14 PM
If it were true and they really would pay £4 million for Fletcher I'd drive him down myself. As far as the money goes, whether we are £2 million in debt now (still far lower than nearly anybody else in the SPL) or 0 debt in 2 years time, we will still have to spend money to bring good players in. We do have a good crop of youngsters right now,and some of them might actually stay with us for a year or 2, but to TOTALLY rely on just young players coming through is nonsense, we will have to spend money like it or not.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 01:18 PM
If it were true and they really would pay £4 million for Fletcher I'd drive him down myself. As far as the money goes, whether we are £2 million in debt now (still far lower than nearly anybody else in the SPL) or 0 debt in 2 years time, we will still have to spend money to bring good players in. We do have a good crop of youngsters right now,and some of them might actually stay with us for a year or 2, but to TOTALLY rely on just young players coming through is nonsense, we will have to spend money like it or not.

And we will, just like we do every year. It wont be enough, but it never is.:wink:

Fish
26-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I know what you mean im both left handed and left footed. Its hard to do things on your weaker side and some people say to me how can right left handed- answer is its easy it natural, same for fletch. Yeah he should have tried to use his right side more i remember him missing an open goal at Tannadice when we were 2 nil up but hes still young and has time to learn yet. Get a good price for him 3-4 mil and its happy days for both hibs and fletch.:greengrin

Well I'm cack-handed and club-footed what chance to I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwasthere1972
26-06-2009, 01:20 PM

To begin learning to use his right foot at this stage of his career is probably leaving it a bit too late. This should have been factored into his game years ago when he was in his early teens. He won't have the time to dilly dally trying to get it on his left peg should he get a move to the EPL.

£4 million smackeroos. Take it Rod. :agree:

Col_0762
26-06-2009, 01:29 PM
This i will agree with, but thats decision making, perhaps the guy that coaches him should be sacked? :wink: When playing in the normal run of a game, fletchers right foot it no worse than say alan obriens right foot, or chris hoggs left foot.

I agree, Fletchers weakness is exposed a whole lot more as he is paid to put the ball in the net and missed chances can be what people remember. For me, he cost us a few points last season by having no confidence in his right foot. Ok, you can blame the coaching for this, however Fletch has to take a fair whack of the criticism also. He has to work at it, even standing for an hour passing a ball against a wall continuously each night after training, only using his right peg. Mind numbingly boring granted, but it would pay dividends for his overall ability, improving so many parts of his game. You have to work to make it happen. There has been no evidence on the park that he has been doing this.

Andy74
26-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree, Fletchers weakness is exposed a whole lot more as he is paid to put the ball in the net and missed chances can be what people remember. For me, he cost us a few points last season by having no confidence in his right foot. Ok, you can blame the coaching for this, however Fletch has to take a fair whack of the criticism also. He has to work at it, even standing for an hour passing a ball against a wall continuously each night after training, only using his right peg. Mind numbingly boring granted, but it would pay dividends for his overall ability, improving so many parts of his game. You have to work to make it happen. There has been no evidence on the park that he has been doing this.

How many right footed players do this with their left? If a right footed player gets a chance on the wrong foot it's usually oh well, fell to the wrong side.

Also, how do we know he's not worked on it?

iwasthere1972
26-06-2009, 01:34 PM

I like the look of the last paragraph in the report.

However it was believed that a £2m offer this summer would be enough to convince the SPL side to sell up.

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 01:34 PM

You could be right, i dont know what kind of training he does with his right foot, but there were indeed a couple of occasions when he would have scored last season, had he gone with his right, instead of his left. Its all about making the right decisions, he never did on those occasions, would kicking a ball against a wall change this?

Big Frank
26-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Correct

Col_0762
26-06-2009, 01:55 PM
How many right footed players do this with their left? If a right footed player gets a chance on the wrong foot it's usually oh well, fell to the wrong side.

Also, how do we know he's not worked on it?

Good question :wink: I would like to have hoped when developing at a younger age, most players would practice on their weaker foot. When I played, we regulary done training when we'd only use our weak foot.

The part you say in bold, is not what I'm saying. My view is that Fletcher goes out of his way to avoid using his right foot. If he at least tried to use his right foot then I don't think as many people would get on his back. Having the confidence to put the ball away with his right would make him such a better player and it's something that should be simple enough to work on.

He may have worked on it for all we know, but, looking at the chances he passes up, it would suggest he hasn't.

Col_0762
26-06-2009, 02:01 PM
You could be right, i dont know what kind of training he does with his right foot, but there were indeed a couple of occasions when he would have scored last season, had he gone with his right, instead of his left. Its all about making the right decisions, he never did on those occasions, would kicking a ball against a wall change this?

Kicking a ball against a wall would improve his touch and his accuracy. A simple kick and control routine to get him used to it would be perfect for starters. As he improves, kick the ball harder, then play it first time. Once he can do this he will have the confidence to use it more regularly.

Hermit Crab
26-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Well I'm cack-handed and club-footed what chance to I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same chance as me

brog
26-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Whilst I want to agree with the positive comments on Fletch and him being under-rated there is a glaring omission here. He is so embarassingly one-footed that this definitely detracts from his value. The first tap in at the back post for his right foot which he tries to put in with his left and mucks it up & he'll be consigned to the bench for any EPL team. Like Burley perhaps other see him as a left sided midefielder though.

Be delighted with £4m & would go with best wishes and thanks for effort & work rate.:agree:

I've said it before but this nonsense about Fletch & being one footed won't go away. 3 of the greatest players the world has ever seen, Puskas, Maradona & now Messi hardly ever use(d) their right foot. I can see Messi turning up at East Mains & Yogi sending him packing until he can use his right foot. Just not Hibs quality I'm afraid. :wink:

RoYO!
26-06-2009, 02:22 PM
credit to the board for the way that they have managed the contracts in the last few years.

we have lost a lot of talent due to contracts expiring, so its good to see that we'll be getting money for our players. garry o, brown, KT, whit, theyve all been good business as far as im concerned and now perhaps £4M for fletch.

RickyS
26-06-2009, 02:34 PM

However, we were told after the O'Connor sale that the money for the training centre was all in place. Then after the next couple of sales, it was going towards the training centre again instead of the team. Why,if the money was already in place? If people think that all the money from future sales will be heading straight into the team, then prepared to be disappointed.

FWIW I like the East the way it is and would rather the Fletcher money went on the team now.

im with you here, I would like some cash spent improving it a bit, but I sit there cos I choose too. I wid rather we invest in the team. I think we have the potential and financial clout to blow our oponents out the water, given how little cash the other teams have

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Kicking a ball against a wall would improve his touch and his accuracy. A simple kick and control routine to get him used to it would be perfect for starters. As he improves, kick the ball harder, then play it first time. Once he can do this he will have the confidence to use it more regularly.

I agree kicking a ball with his weaker foot will make it better, but i think we do the coaching staff a diservise when looking at players faults. Surely you dont think we the fans are the only one to spot these failings? As with maka,they wont have missed his flaps at the ball, or Obrien cutting back to get the ball onto his left foot. All these faults will be worked on in training. Its all down to the individual player how well he takes things on board and learns.

Col_0762
26-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I agree kicking a ball with his weaker foot will make it better, but i think we do the coaching staff a diservise when looking at players faults. Surely you dont think we the fans are the only one to spot these failings? As with maka,they wont have missed his flaps at the ball, or Obrien cutting back to get the ball onto his left foot. All these faults will be worked on in training. Its all down to the individual player how well he takes things on board and learns.

Exactly. What has Fletcher shown in the last few months that would suggest he's taken any constructive criticism on board? He still can't, or rather won't use his right foot when as little as 6 yards from goal. He's either not been told, or being being stubborn and ignoring any advice and possibly believing all the hype that is constantly written about him. The latter would be my guess.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Exactly. What has Fletcher shown in the last few months that would suggest he's taken any constructive criticism on board? He still can't, or rather won't use his right foot when as little as 6 yards from goal. He's either not been told, or being being stubborn and ignoring any advice and possibly believing all the hype that is constantly written about him. The latter would be my guess.

He will be told, you can put your mortgage on that. I dont go for all this believing publicity, he's just a very good hibs player, but a limited player in the grand scheme of things, with a good left foot.

lapsedhibee
26-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I've said it before but this nonsense about Fletch & being one footed won't go away. 3 of the greatest players the world has ever seen, Puskas, Maradona & now Messi hardly ever use(d) their right foot. I can see Messi turning up at East Mains & Yogi sending him packing until he can use his right foot. Just not Hibs quality I'm afraid. :wink:

The slight flaw in your argument is that all these players you mention, apart from Fletch, are or were great, great players. Fletch is not a great player, so your analogy falls down somewhat. If Fletch becomes a great, great player then you can reel off the four names the next time the debate arises, but there's no sign at the moment that he is ever going to merit being named in that exalted company, imo.

matty_f
26-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Once again I agree with you, money spent on players generally doesn't last long in comparison to a training centre or east stand; however if we were to spend fees on guys like Naismith when we could have, or Arfield currently at Falkirk, he would be getting regular games at a higher level with more exposure, and in a few years we could sell them on at a good profit, McArthur of Hamilton is another example...

IIRC we outbid Rangers initially for Naismith, but he wanted to go there. Killie accepted our offer.

Shrekko
26-06-2009, 08:54 PM
The slight flaw in your argument is that all these players you mention, apart from Fletch, are or were great, great players. Fletch is not a great player, so your analogy falls down somewhat. If Fletch becomes a great, great player then you can reel off the four names the next time the debate arises, but there's no sign at the moment that he is ever going to merit being named in that exalted company, imo.

If Fletch can dribble through a whole team and score we'll let him off with being one footed, but whilst he's missing sitters from feet away then I think it's correct to mention it.

I cant believe folk talk about 'this nonsense that he's one footed'- he's the most one footed top level player I've ever seen and in my opinion it is severely holding him back. Opponents now know what he's going to do and where to shut him down.

What difference does him being left footed make anyway? Cant get my head round that theory. What other left footed players are as obviously bad with their right?

I dont agree either that his right foot isnt poor and it's just that he chooses not to use it. His very rare attempts to use it have been very poor.

The boy is a cracking player, but why fans get offended by others saying he's over-rated i.e. not worth 5 million or that he's one footed is beyond me.

I've enjoyed having Fletch but it's fair to say he's been a very frustrating player at times as well.

jacomo
26-06-2009, 09:51 PM

If Fletch can dribble through a whole team and score we'll let him off with being one footed, but whilst he's missing sitters from feet away then I think it's correct to mention it.

I cant believe folk talk about 'this nonsense that he's one footed'- he's the most one footed top level player I've ever seen and in my opinion it is severely holding him back. Opponents now know what he's going to do and where to shut him down.

What difference does him being left footed make anyway? Cant get my head round that theory. What other left footed players are as obviously bad with their right?

I dont agree either that his right foot isnt poor and it's just that he chooses not to use it. His very rare attempts to use it have been very poor.

The boy is a cracking player, but why fans get offended by others saying he's over-rated i.e. not worth 5 million or that he's one footed is beyond me.

I've enjoyed having Fletch but it's fair to say he's been a very frustrating player at times as well.

:agree: Spot on.

I'd love to see him stay another year, and see if Yogi can get the best from him. Fletcher's good decent movement and awareness, and in a passing side I think he'd be a real threat again.

silverhibee
26-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I heard today that Hibs turned down a bid for SF from a Premiership club and it was not Blackburn, the offer did not match Hibs valuation of SF, but i do think the club will come back with an improved offer which could tempt Hibs to sell.
But SFs favoured choice of club to move to is along the M8 with celtc and work under Mowbray again.
I will take a gamble and say that SF will be paraded at a new club on July 1st.
:greengrin:wink:

woody47
26-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I heard today that Hibs turned down a bid for SF from a Premiership club and it was not Blackburn, the offer did not match Hibs valuation of SF, but i do think the club will come back with an improved offer which could tempt Hibs to sell.
But SFs favoured choice of club to move to is along the M8 with celtc and work under Mowbray again.

Source?
Just because some weegie rags write BS doesn't mean it's fact. If you actually read one source today it had Venus actually saying the DIDN'T want him. So what's truth and what isn't?

Steve-O
27-06-2009, 02:18 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2504156/Go-to-Hull.html

Looks like that Fortune guy is off to Hull so Fletcher could be at the top of Mogga's list again :rolleyes:

jamiehibee
27-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Fletch and Van Nistelrooy up front??:confused:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/06/27/1349092/allardyce-wants-van-nistelrooy-at-blackburn-rules-out

Ray_
27-06-2009, 05:14 AM

For as good as he was as a youngster it still didn't stop George Best spending hours doing exactly that & concentrating on his weaker side, it worked so well that nobody knew he ever had a weaker foot. If even the most gifted can show how hard work, patience & a will to succeed works wonders.

IWasThere2016
27-06-2009, 06:47 AM

:agree: SF wants to go to Cellic and I think I know who the EPL club was :greengrin

hibs0666
27-06-2009, 06:50 AM

Burnley offered around 3m I hear.

PaulSmith
27-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Source?
Just because some weegie rags write BS doesn't mean it's fact. If you actually read one source today it had Venus actually saying the DIDN'T want him. So what's truth and what isn't?

I'd be more inclined to believe what SH has to say on the matter rather than anyone else.

Godsahibby
27-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Burnley offered around 3m I hear.

saying in the daily mirror that burnley offered 2.75m for fletch

Hamish
27-06-2009, 08:10 AM
''Well Mr Chairman, that Steven away and we have 3million to spend''
''Mr Chairman?.....Mr Chairman?, why are you singing LA LA LA LA, with your fingers in your ears?''

hibsbollah
27-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Since Blackburn are bidding to bring van Nistelrooy in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm)
,i'd be surprised if they'd be after Fletcher...

iwasthere1972
27-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Since Blackburn are bidding to bring van Nistelrooy in
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm)
,i'd be surprised if they'd be after Fletcher...

All I can say is I would be surprised if Big Sam pulled that off. Pretty sure that there will be bigger names than Blackburn after him. Tottenham would be a better move and London would probably get the nod ahead of Blackburn.

hibsbollah
27-06-2009, 10:10 AM
All I can say is I would be surprised if Big Sam pulled that off. Pretty sure that there will be bigger names than Blackburn after him. Tottenham would be a better move and London would probably get the nod ahead of Blackburn.

Thats true. Still, it shows you the kind of player they're targetting.

SMAXXA
27-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Now looking at their second priority striker :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8122158.stm

Cocaine&Caviar
27-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Who would have thought that Big Sam would get Anelka to Bolton though?

down-the-slope
27-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Nah...thats just Allerdyce trying to play Rodders at his game...I can get ex Man U / Dutch International for £1.5 million....how about dropping your asking price...

remember Allerdyce has a good record of gettuing decent players without spending big

SMAXXA
27-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Fair point, maybe we should let them have Fletch and turn our attentions to Ruud :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
27-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Fair point, maybe we should let them have Fletch and turn our attentions to Ruud :greengrin

Naw, think how our other ManU signings have turned out :wink:

Northfield Hibby
27-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Burnley have made a club record £2.75m bid for Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. (Daily Mirror)

From the BBC website.

SMAXXA
27-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Either that or it could be worth contacrting Real to see if they still want Fletch, possible swap, say Ruud and £10 million euros :thumbsup:

MyJo
27-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Burnley have made a club record £2.75m bid for Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher. (Daily Mirror)

From the BBC website.

Stick a sell-on clause in there and we'll have ourselves a deal

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Stick a sell-on clause in there and we'll have ourselves a deal

I think we will get nearer £4m when all the bids are in. Plus it would not surprise me in the slightest, if rod has a sell on clause inserted into that too.

Keith_M
27-06-2009, 04:02 PM

So. it's Bigotry at work then?

:greengrin

KWJ
28-06-2009, 06:32 AM

What that man said.

Fletch is so frustrating. I'm left footed but most of my tap ins probably come with my right. I certainly don't think about contorting my body to try and knock it in on my left like Fletch seems to do. It's not like it's just once it's a few times a season. I remember a year or so back he missed a chance with his right but was pointing at his right with glee and shock that he actually gave it a shot.

Bobo
28-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Either that or it could be worth contacrting Real to see if they still want Fletch, possible swap, say Ruud and £10 million euros :thumbsup:

He could be part of a £82M front pairing with Ronaldo :wink:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Thank you very much. The liar has been found out.:faf:

hibsbollah
29-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much. The liar has been found out.:faf:

A fair cop, apologies, must have been someone else. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2009, 05:02 PM
A fair cop, apologies, must have been someone else. :agree:

Thank you.:top marks