JimBHibees
19-06-2009, 08:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8085394.stm

Nae pressure now Murray:greengrin

Gives Andy a great chance IMO.

Sir David Gray
20-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Gutted.

I have tickets for the Centre Court this coming Monday and I was due to see Nadal and probably Murray.

Now it looks like I'll see Del Potro (who has replaced Nadal at the top of the draw) and Murray, instead.

It's still a really good line up, and I'm looking forward to it, but it's not quite the same as seeing the defending champion and world number one.

I've got tickets for the new Court Two on Tuesday as well, so I should get some good players on there as well.

I'm not so sure that Nadal's withdrawal makes too much of a difference to Murray's chances to be honest.

He hasn't been fully fit for quite a while now and if he had played, I think it's doubtful as to whether he would have got as far as the semi finals, in order to even play Murray.

Murray has a fairly straightforward start to the tournament. He shouldn't face too many problems against Robert Kendrick. He'll then probably face Ernests Gulbis who, despite showing some promise a year or so ago, has plummeted back down the rankings and has also never been beyond the second round at Wimbledon.

I think the only players who may give him some food for thought, before the quarter final stage, would be Stanislas Wawrinka and Marat Safin. Although, I don't believe that either of them have the game or, particularly in Safin's case, the patience that is required in order to break down Murray's stubborn style of play.

From the quarter final stage onwards, it gets a bit trickier. In the 1/4 finals, he'll possibly meet the likes of Fernando Gonzalez, who sent Murray packing at Roland Garros just a few weeks ago, and Gilles Simon.

But it is the 1/2 finals where it becomes quite significant. He would have been due to meet Nadal at this point, presuming they both got that far, but after his withdrawal, his possible semi final opponents look a bit less daunting, at least on paper.

He could face Del Potro, Hewitt, Roddick or Davydenko, in the last four.

If, fingers crossed, he manages to progress all the way through to the final, he will then potentially meet the likes of Federer, Djokovic, Tsonga and Verdasco.

It will be a very interesting two weeks. I certainly think Murray has the potential to win Wimbledon this year. He is playing excellent tennis at the moment and he is going in off the back of a fantastic win at Queen's. However, there are one or two players who will be tough opponents for him, even with Rafael Nadal's absence.

Woody1985
20-06-2009, 12:08 PM
It will take the edge off it if he does win. I think he'll be disappointed that Nadal isn't there.

Hibbie_Cameron
20-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I think Nadal pulling out is going to make things more difficult for Andy Murray. The media and supporters expectations have now went into some what overdrive and i really hope Andy can cope with it

Wilson
20-06-2009, 01:44 PM
It will take the edge off it if he does win. I think he'll be disappointed that Nadal isn't there.

There will be people trying to do down the achievement whatever way you look at it. It would "take the edge off it" if Murray won it with an injured Nadal getting dumped out injured in his first match. As it would if he goes on to take the title but somehow doesn't have to face Fed along the way.
There are always snipers looking to belittle the achievements of others.

The fact is you can only beat the players in front of you and it would still be a big ask even without Nadal or Fed. IF he were to win it it would be a massive achievement. The record books would show him as a slam winner and that is what would be important.

There will be other chances in slams and more finals against Fed or Nadal. Lets get the list of major honours achieved off and running against the top players that are fit and able to play.

sleeping giant
20-06-2009, 02:50 PM
There will be people trying to do down the achievement whatever way you look at it. It would "take the edge off it" if Murray won it with an injured Nadal getting dumped out injured in his first match. As it would if he goes on to take the title but somehow doesn't have to face Fed along the way.
There are always snipers looking to belittle the achievements of others.

The fact is you can only beat the players in front of you and it would still be a big ask even without Nadal or Fed. IF he were to win it it would be a massive achievement. The record books would show him as a slam winner and that is what would be important.

There will be other chances in slams and more finals against Fed or Nadal. Lets get the list of major honours achieved off and running against the top players that are fit and able to play.

Brilliant post and i completely agree:agree:

C'mon Andy:thumbsup:

shamo9
20-06-2009, 03:39 PM

It certainly didn't take the 'edge' of Federer's win at the French Open when he didn't even have to triumph over his 'nemesis' to finally break the old curse.

Look at it from a Hibs' perspective: If we were to win the Scottish Cup next season playing only 1 division teams, well, I certainly wouldn't give a damn!

You can only beat what's set out in front of you.

Peevemor
20-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I misread the thread title and thought this was about Nade.

Don't tell me he's pish at tennis too. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
20-06-2009, 04:26 PM

He can't possibly be any worse at tennis than he is at football...can he? :confused:

Betty Boop
20-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Last year's final was one of the greatest sporting finals of all time, hope this year's is just as good.

james62
22-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Given that tennis is about avoiding hitting the net he's probably quite good at it. :greengrin