PDA

View Full Version : F1 budget cap

Pretty Boy
27-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Not a huge follower of F1 but have become intrigued with the bits and pieces on the news about the budget cap saga.

Can anyone more knowledgable tell me if the £40M budget is just for car development? Or does it cover all costs such as wages, transport to and from races etc?

Gatecrasher
27-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Not a huge follower of F1 but have become intrigued with the bits and pieces on the news about the budget cap saga.

Can anyone more knowledgable tell me if the £40M budget is just for car development? Or does it cover all costs such as wages, transport to and from races etc?

the £40 million does not include wages or transport to races as transport to fly aways (asia, middle east etc) is paid for by all teams in comunitive payments IIRC i think it mainly covers the car development and engines etc

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/5/9290.html

so its not really 40 million its just trying to keep spending to a minimum,

my take on it is to see 26 f1 teams would be great but i dont think its worth sacrificing teams like ferrari, red bull or toyota just to see a bigger grid it needs to be done with the teams and negotiating with them not have something imposed on them as that will create the current mess f1 is in :cool2:

Pretty Boy
27-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Cheers mate that clears it up for me.

Not 100% sure where i stand on it myself, have to wait and see how it all pans out i suppose.

Gatecrasher
27-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Cheers mate that clears it up for me.

Not 100% sure where i stand on it myself, have to wait and see how it all pans out i suppose.

i think there will be a few more twists in the story before an agreement is made, but i do agree F1 does need to reduce costs. :thumbsup:

OtterHibee
28-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm not too sure what I think about this. There has been far too much of a political influence in F1 over the past few years which is detracting attention from the actual business of racing. Quite frankly I'm sick of all the various amendments to rules and could almost symathise with Kimi Raikkonen in a recent interview during which he stated that he was considering his future in the sport for that very reason.

While on the financial side of things the sums of money being banded about are beyond extortionate, it would not be the same without the traditional teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Renault. You could argue that with a significantly larger grid made up of teams on a more level playing field in terms of cash resources, you would see more action, overtaking and incidents which in turn would likely generate larger crowds, however, you could potentially be sacrificing the glamour brought in by the more popular teams.

Hopefully an agreement that still involves reducing costs by a fair margin can be reached which satisfies the teams voicing their concerns.

Gatecrasher
29-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm not too sure what I think about this. There has been far too much of a political influence in F1 over the past few years which is detracting attention from the actual business of racing. Quite frankly I'm sick of all the various amendments to rules and could almost symathise with Kimi Raikkonen in a recent interview during which he stated that he was considering his future in the sport for that very reason.

While on the financial side of things the sums of money being banded about are beyond extortionate, it would not be the same without the traditional teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Renault. You could argue that with a significantly larger grid made up of teams on a more level playing field in terms of cash resources, you would see more action, overtaking and incidents which in turn would likely generate larger crowds, however, you could potentially be sacrificing the glamour brought in by the more popular teams.

Hopefully an agreement that still involves reducing costs by a fair margin can be reached which satisfies the teams voicing their concerns.

that is my main worry untill i read this http://www.f1times.co.uk/breaking-news-prodrive-to-enter-formula-one-in-2010-107.html

Mon the Aston Martins :cool2: