PDA

View Full Version : Ken Buchanan comeback (SHC)

scoopyboy
18-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I have just read an article on BBC website that states Ken Buchanan is making a comeback at 63yo. I hope it doesn't happen as it is ridiculous a man with his career has to consider this to make ends meet.

His father who is well into his 90s occasionally comes with us on the East Lothian Hibs bus from Tranent. Drives up from Musselburgh and is a great old guy.

Sammy7nil
18-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Would never get a license. The man was what may be described as Punchy 20 years ago.

Fantastic fighter and real shame he lost all his cash in bad deals.

But to come back at this age is madness

scoopyboy
18-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Would never get a license. The man was what may be described as Punchy 20 years ago.

Going by the article he doesn't need a license, it is not regulated by the usual board as it is "white collar" boxing.

ancient hibee
18-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Like to think he was joking.

Toaods
18-05-2009, 07:18 PM
there's only one likely result for someone taking up inlicensed boxing at over 60 years of age and I wouldn't want to type it for fear of upset.

with a world professional title to his name, it's a certainty that if he seriously needs to box for cash out of desperation, then some blagard will fund the purse.

dHFCe
18-05-2009, 07:26 PM
A rematch with Roberto Duran:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
18-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Very sad that Ken's struggling. I understand that he's in fact a Jambo. If he'd been a Hibby there would undoubtedly be tribute fund-raisers for him, as he one of the greatest sportsmen this city has produced.

iwasthere1972
18-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Looks like he wouldn't need a licence. White collar boxing. Mad or what. :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8045511.stm

Jack
18-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Very sad to see him wonder from bar to bar on Leith Walk when I think of him at one time being one of the greatest sporting stars (superstars???) Scotland ever had.

fergal7
19-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Remember him visiting his dad Tommy when I was a lad in Northfield.

World Champion, gold Rolls Royce with number plate KB 123. We just stared in awe. He had a tartan mini as well.

I thought things were looking up for him with the help he got from Mike Tyson and getting into The Hall Of Fame?

davy
19-05-2009, 04:53 PM
It will be a wind up, possibly to get some publicity for himself. I have met Ken a few times and there is no way he is being serious. As an aside I got a serious email from someone down south (as I had been involved with Sparta a couple of years back) who wants his number so she can do a documentary for TV leading up to the fight :faf:

Jack
19-05-2009, 05:08 PM
It will be a wind up, possibly to get some publicity for himself. I have met Ken a few times and there is no way he is being serious. As an aside I got a serious email from someone down south (as I had been involved with Sparta a couple of years back) who wants his number so she can do a documentary for TV leading up to the fight :faf:

She could just phone the Alhambra :cool2:

Halmyre Hibee
19-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Very sad to see him wonder from bar to bar on Leith Walk when I think of him at one time being one of the greatest sporting stars (superstars???) Scotland ever had.

I met him at Scotmid on Leith Walk, shook his hand and told him how good a fighter he was when I was a young laddie. He did look a bit frail.

davy
19-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I met him at Scotmid on Leith Walk, shook his hand and told him how good a fighter he was when I was a young laddie. He did look a bit frail.

that is putting it mildly

Danderhall Hibs
20-05-2009, 08:06 AM

that is putting it mildly

Really? How would I get into this "white collar boxing"? A quick and easy payday would be nice. :greengrin