PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Gyms - Edinburgh

Woody1985
31-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know any good boxing gyms in Edinburgh?

I'm looking to start training next week to get fitter. I know there is one in Gilmerton but I think there are **** loads of people going there because they've got a few champions just now. Plus most of the attention will probably be on them.

If you have phone numbers and/or times/days of training would be good.

I know that Sparta were in the old hut but moved just before I stopped going and don't know where they are now.

Is there still one at meadowbank and is it still tiny?

Ideally I'd like to start on Tuesday.

sg7nil
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Can't vouch for either, but a quick google shows two clubs in Leith..

Forthside which apparently meets somewhere at Ocean terminal... I think Forthside might not be there any more though as I think it used to be on the top floor of OT in the bit that's now occupied by the skateboard/bmx park...

Which leaves the other option Victoria AAC which is beside Leith Academy primary school. :take that:take that

Petrie's Tache
01-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Brad Welsh still runs a boxing club at medowbank I believe.

Antifa Hibs
01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
There's also one in the Granton area, although a bit far from you perhaps.

The edinburgh leisure gyms are good value for money, unlimited gym and swims plus other bonuses for £40 a month.

Cool_Hand_Luke
01-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I've been going to one down in Granton that i've found really good. Its just moved and should be up and running for next week.
Here's the facebook site for it

The Edinburgh Boxing Academy (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=51088604552)

There's an email and phone number for Sean who owns the gym so he should be able to help you out with any info. Training is normally 6.30 each night except Tuesday when its 7pm.

Cheers

ps. I think Sparta have now moved to one of the warehouses down at Portobello (between the Sir Harry Lauder Road and Portobello High Street)...and Brad Welshs one is at the Holyrood Industrial site i think.

Woody1985
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I've been onto the Holyrood site and it looks pretty decent. I read in the paper that they've just had a fair bit of investment from the council / government so it should be kitted out pretty well.

I remember the old Meadowbank gym where there was no room for anyone to move. :LOL: