PDA

View Full Version : Miami Masters

Sir David Gray
31-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Andy Murray's through to the last 16 in Miami after beating Nicolas Massu, 6-4 6-4. Murray started very slow and went 3-0 behind in the first set before he eventually found a way back and won 6 of the next 7 games to take the set.

The second set started off extremely well and Murray looked as if he was going to walk it as he went 5-1 up. However, he admitted afterwards that he allowed his mind to wander and Massu broke him to get it back to 5-3. Massu then won his next service game to bring him to within a game of Murray.

However, Murray eventually won through in the end and booked his place in the next round.

He now plays the Serbian Viktor Troicki tomorrow and he should be on court just after 6pm tomorrow.

They have only played once before and that was at St Petersburg last year. Murray won it 6-3 6-3.

Murray's potential opponent in the semi finals, Rafael Nadal, came through a bit of a scare against Frederico Gil. After going 3-1 up in the first set, Nadal starting going completely off the boil and Gil got right back into it. However, Nadal was able to regain his composure and took the first set 7-5.

Gil didn't lose the plot though and took a 2-0 lead in the second set. However, that was about as good as it got for the Portuguese as Nadal stormed back to win it 7-5 6-3.

Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic are also still involved but are in the other half of the draw from Murray and Nadal.

Sir David Gray
31-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Murray's through to the quarter finals after hammering Viktor Troicki 6-1 6-0 in less than an hour.

He now plays Fernando Verdasco, the man who beat him at this year's Australian Open, on Thursday after he had a similarly impressive win over Radek Stepanek.

Novak Djokovic is safely through as well after hammering Tomas Berdych 6-3 6-2.

He will play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the last eight after he beat fellow Frenchman Gilles Simon after coming from a set down. Tsonga won 6-7 6-3 6-2.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Rafael Nadal is out of the Miami Masters after Juan Martin Del Potro beat him 6-4 3-6 7-6 in 3 hours and 1 minute.

Del Potro will now play the winner of Andy Murray and Fernando Verdasco, which is just about to start, in the semi finals.

The other semi final will be contested between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.

Randerson_4
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Well done Murray, hammered Verdasco 6-1 6-2 :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Fantastic victory for Murray this morning. Verdasco is no slouch and he made him look like an amateur.

It was hard going, staying up so late, and I'll need to do the same again tonight as he's playing at midnight. :zzzzz!:

Hopefully Roger Federer can win against Djokovic tonight and then if Murray wins the tournament, he will take 3rd place in the rankings. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Novak Djokovic has made the final of the Miami Masters after coming back from a set down to defeat Roger Federer 3-6 6-2 6-3. Although Federer started well enough in taking the opening set, his form completely deserted him in the second and third sets and Djokovic sealed the victory.

This result now means that Andy Murray cannot take 3rd place in the world rankings, even if he does go on to win the tournament.

greenlex
04-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Murray is through to the Final. Played some cracking tennis too.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Murray is through to the Final. Played some cracking tennis too.

I wasn't able to stay up and watch it as I was still struggling from the night before. However, I believe he did play some great tennis and it's good to hear.

Although he can't overtake Djokovic this week, if he wins tomorrow, he will close to within 170 points of 3rd spot.

He will have a great chance of going 3rd at his next tournament in Monte Carlo, since Djokovic reached the semi finals last year and Murray only reached the 3rd round. Ironically, it was Djokovic who knocked Murray out of the Monte Carlo Masters last year.

Come on, Andy! :thumbsup:

greenlex
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I wasn't able to stay up and watch it as I was still struggling from the night before. However, I believe he did play some great tennis and it's good to hear.

Although he can't overtake Djokovic this week, if he wins tomorrow, he will close to within 170 points of 3rd spot.

He will have a great chance of going 3rd at his next tournament in Monte Carlo, since Djokovic reached the semi finals last year and Murray only reached the 3rd round. Ironically, it was Djokovic who knocked Murray out of the Monte Carlo Masters last year.

Come on, Andy! :thumbsup:

Didn't watch it but was listening driving up the road from work. The commentators were waxing lyrical. :agree:

Sir David Gray
06-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Fantastic performance by Murray last night, particularly in the first set. Djokovic hadn't a clue what was happening.

Then to come back from 5-2 down in the second set (including saving 2 set points) was incredible.

Some of the shots that he was coming away with were top drawer.

It's only a matter of time before he gets to number three in the world and I don't think it will be too long before he overtakes Federer in 2nd place, either.

I think Murray and Nadal will dominate the game for the next few years.

Well done, Andy! :thumbsup: