PDA

View Full Version : Question last time we won the SFA Youth Cup

p=sh
30-03-2009, 02:57 PM
apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere....

I seem to remember we won the SFA Youth Cup back in 90 or 91 or 92.
Can anyone list the team and did any of that team go on to make a success of their fitba career either with Hibs or elsewhere?

dangermouse
30-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Can anyone list the team and did any of that team go on to make a success of their fitba career either with Hibs or elsewhere?

Only one I can think of was Steven Tweed.

p=sh
30-03-2009, 03:02 PM

cheers, DM.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Graeme Love was captain. Kevin Harper, Colin McDonald, Graeme Donald, wee Soutar, Paul Currie (?), Kenny Balmain, Chris Jackson maybe. I've got the press cutting somewhere.

capi
30-03-2009, 03:17 PM

We beat Ayr United 2 - 0 on April 15th 1992 at Easter Road.

Team was:

Jason Gardiner
Kenny Balmain
Graeme Love
Paul Currie
Darren Dods
Watson
Colin McDonald (Alex Reid)
Graeme Soutar
Graeme Donald
Steven Dallas (Kevin Harper)
Nicky Ingram

Dallas and McDonald scored the goals

Andy74
30-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Goes to show you how hard it is to take the next step, maybe two or three of those made anything of themselves.

If I recall it was a very well attended game and the terracing was bouncing!

Makes playing the upcoming one at Hampden seem a bit OTT and will certaily kill any decent atmosphere there could have been.

capi
30-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Two years before we played Dundee United in the final and in their team were Andy McLaren, Christian Dailly, Gary Bollan and Duncan Ferguson.

eastmainsmsh
30-03-2009, 03:41 PM
used to play fives with nick ingram good player played east of scotland with edinburgh athletic gala and hawick .

think paul currie was in nz :confused: had a bad injury some prospect 2 :agree:

kenny balmain was at cambuslang rangers

capi
30-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I've obviously got nothing to do!!

this is where some of these guys ended up.

Jason Gardiner- Stirling Albion
Graeme Love- Ayr Utd, QOS, Clydebank, Bathgate Thistle
Graeme Donald- Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir, Bo'ness Utd
Darren Dods- St Johnstone, ICT, Dundee Utd
Steven Dallas- Dumbarton, Baillieston Juniors
Kenny Balmain- East Fife, Killwinning Rangers
Paul Currie- retired November 1993
Graeme Soutar- Newtongrange Star
Nicky Ingram- Meadowbank Thistle, Montrose, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Kevin Harper- Derby County,Walsall(loan), Portsmouth, Norwich (loan), Leicester (loan), Stoke City, Carlisle(loan), Walsall (loan), Dunfermline Athletic
Colin McDonald- Falkirk, Swansea City, Ayr Utd, Clydebank, Falkirk, Berwick Rangers (loan), Arbroath (loan), Airdrie, Berwick Rangers, Montrose, Gala Fairydean
Alex Reid and Watson- unknown

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Goes to show you how hard it is to take the next step, maybe two or three of those made anything of themselves.

Makes playing the upcoming one at Hampden seem a bit OTT and will certaily kill any decent atmosphere there could have been.

How did we get a home tie in the Final?!

Cropley10
30-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Two years before we played Dundee United in the final and in their team were Andy McLaren, Christian Dailly, Gary Bollan and Duncan Ferguson.

And lost on pens if I recall - I was in the old Cow Shed and Dundee won the toss and played the pens at the other end.

killie-hibby
30-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Crowd of 8400

Mikey
30-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Was there a youth league then too? If so, does anyone know how they got on that year?

capi
31-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Was there a youth league then too? If so, does anyone know how they got on that year?

as well as the Premier Reserve League, we were entered in the East Division of the Scottish Reserve League and the youth players tended to appeared in this league.

dangermouse
31-03-2009, 10:37 AM

We beat Ayr United 2 - 0 on April 15th 1992 at Easter Road.

Team was:

Jason Gardiner
Kenny Balmain
Graeme Love
Paul Currie
Darren Dods
Watson
Colin McDonald (Alex Reid)
Graeme Soutar
Graeme Donald
Steven Dallas (Kevin Harper)
Nicky Ingram

Dallas and McDonald scored the goals

I was clearly talking pish then :wink:

The only ones that I can remember playing first team football at Hibs are Love, Dods, Donald and Harper.

Does anyone else shed any light?

ChilliEater
31-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I was clearly talking pish then :wink:

The only ones that I can remember playing first team football at Hibs are Love, Dods, Donald and Harper.

Does anyone else shed any light?

I think Jason Gardiner might have played 1 or 2 first team games, but don't know for sure.
Colin McDonald probably should have - got capped for the Under 21s while at Falkirk IIRC and was part of a Falkirk team that beat us 2-0 at ER to stop us finishing 2nd and qualifying for Europe (Motherwell took that honour). I think he might have scored in that game.

FairleyOriginal
20-10-2009, 06:58 PM
enjoy

FairleyOriginal.com Hibernian vs Dundee United (http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/hibernian-vs-dundee-united-6)

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/part7/HDU19900501/Image1.jpg

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/part7/HDU19900501/Image3.jpg

McD
20-10-2009, 09:06 PM
christ i remember mark duthie and lee bailey playing for livi

Mag7
20-10-2009, 10:51 PM
So what was the tournament the U19s won at Hampden last season to complete the league and cup double? Was that not the equivalent of the Youth Cup these days?

jgl07
21-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Colin McDonald probably should have - got capped for the Under 21s while at Falkirk IIRC and was part of a Falkirk team that beat us 2-0 at ER to stop us finishing 2nd and qualifying for Europe (Motherwell took that honour). I think he might have scored in that game.
I remember that match.

I recall a Wednesday afternoon match because the floodlights were gone during the construction of the North and South Stands.

Hibs only lost two home matches that season: to Falkirk and Partick!

They split the OF finishing third, lost on a SFA Cup semi-final replay to Celtic and still failed to qualify for Europe.

rainman
21-10-2009, 01:37 AM
enjoy

FairleyOriginal.com Hibernian vs Dundee United (http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/hibernian-vs-dundee-united-6)

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/part7/HDU19900501/Image1.jpg

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/lazy-k-gallery/part7/HDU19900501/Image3.jpg

Interesting to see Dundee united managed to get 2 or 3 full internationals out of that crop.

Tweed and Nicholls are the only ones you could say "made it" from the Hibs team.

oconnors_strip
21-10-2009, 11:23 AM
So what was the tournament the U19s won at Hampden last season to complete the league and cup double? Was that not the equivalent of the Youth Cup these days?

yes it was the equivalent, it use to be called the BP Youth Cup but now its the SFA Youth Cup, aka the Scottish Cup for under 19s. last year they also won the under 19s SPL League. and the East Of Scotland Shield:thumbsup:

brog
21-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Interesting to see Dundee united managed to get 2 or 3 full internationals out of that crop.

Tweed and Nicholls are the only ones you could say "made it" from the Hibs team.

I think the lad Ian Siegel had to give up the game through injury at about 17 or 18 years old. I saw him at Wembley for Scotland schoolboys,( Chris Reid was in goals ) & he was outstanding. A real shame for the boy.

Wembley67
21-10-2009, 12:27 PM
When was the old 's' form done away as well come to think of it :confused:

Tomsk
21-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I think the lad Ian Siegel had to give up the game through injury at about 17 or 18 years old. I saw him at Wembley for Scotland schoolboys,( Chris Reid was in goals ) & he was outstanding. A real shame for the boy.

Ian Siegal was playing East of Scotland football in the early 90s. I think he went into the amateurs after that.