stu in nottingham
16-03-2009, 09:48 AM
A blog report by a mate on last night's game for anyone interested:

http://tcwfanzine.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/panthers-3-capitals-2/

PC Stamp
16-03-2009, 11:29 AM
A blog report by a mate on last night's game for anyone interested:

http://tcwfanzine.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/panthers-3-capitals-2/

Good to see the Caps starting to run the top teams closer and/or indeed beating them. After the narrow defeat to Nottingham, Caps then went to Coventry last night and defeated Blaze 4-2 coming back from 2-0 down!

Last 6 games they have the best record in the league apart from Nottingham.

Peaking at the right time one can only hope.

The_Todd
16-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Good to see the Caps starting to run the top teams closer and/or indeed beating them. After the narrow defeat to Nottingham, Caps then went to Coventry last night and defeated Blaze 4-2 coming back from 2-0 down!

Last 6 games they have the best record in the league apart from Nottingham.

Peaking at the right time one can only hope.

Let's hope so. The thing that concerns me is that if we reach the playoffs we're almost certain to face Sheffield, barring a miracle and we catch the Vipers.

Sheffield essentially have time to relax and see out the season now that they're confirmed EIHL champions, whereas we need to fight right to the end to secure 8th.

If they're nice and fresh for the quarter-finals and we're exhausted, it might not be pretty...

stu in nottingham
16-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Let's hope so. The thing that concerns me is that if we reach the playoffs we're almost certain to face Sheffield, barring a miracle and we catch the Vipers.

Sheffield essentially have time to relax and see out the season now that they're confirmed EIHL champions, whereas we need to fight right to the end to secure 8th.

If they're nice and fresh for the quarter-finals and we're exhausted, it might not be pretty...

I saw Sheffield last week and whilst they've clearly proved themselves the best team in the league over the season I wasn't terribly impressed by them on the night. The Panthers topped them in all three periods which I've rarely seen. I wonder if their 'relaxed' run-in might actually see them go off the boil a little?

PC Stamp
16-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I saw Sheffield last week and whilst they've clearly proved themselves the best team in the league over the season I wasn't terribly impressed by them on the night. The Panthers topped them in all three periods which I've rarely seen. I wonder if their 'relaxed' run-in might actually see them go off the boil a little?

That would be my hope Stu. Of the top 4, Sheff, Notts, Cov, Belfast ... I'd rather take on Sheffield. The Caps always seem to give them a decent run for their money!

stu in nottingham
16-03-2009, 04:12 PM
That would be my hope Stu. Of the top 4, Sheff, Notts, Cov, Belfast ... I'd rather take on Sheffield. The Caps always seem to give them a decent run for their money!

I really wasn't that impressed with Sheffield at all a week last Saturday mate. My mate there with me said the same thing. They were good enough but quite lacklustre - especially for a game that always sees those two sides right up for it in front of a capacity crowd. They weren't exactly bad but it was the most mediocre Sheffield performance I've seen from them in some time down here.

I haven't seen Coventry or Belfast recently but for what it's worth I think it would be worth avoiding the Panthers at the moment. They played consistently well throughout that game and looked very strong. Seems that one or two lesser lights are coming on to a game a bit as well.

Here's hoping the Caps finsih the job. I'd love to see them down here for the play-offs - good luck!