PDA

View Full Version : Golf World Rankings

sunshine1875
07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Anyone know how these work.

Looking at the latest - how come Harrington is so far behind Garcia & Mickelson, when he has won three of the last six majors?

Also, how has McIlroy rocketeted to 16th when he has only featured for the last 6 months? I know he has had a few good finishes, but has only won one (I think).

Men's world rankings, 2 Mar
1 Tiger Woods US 9.44 pts ave
2 Sergio Garcia Spa 7.63
3 Phil Mickelson US 7.28
4 Geoff Ogilvy Aus 6.40
5 Padraig Harrington Ire 6.17
6 Vijay Singh Fij 5.97
7 Henrik Stenson Swe 4.99
8 Robert Karlsson Swe 4.95
9 Camilo Villegas Col 4.81
10 Kenny Perry US 4.73
11 Anthony Kim US 4.47
12 Lee Westwood Eng 4.32
13 Paul Casey Eng 4.32
14 Ernie Els SA 4.30
15 Steve Stricker US 4.24
16 Rory McIlroy NI 4.01
17 Jim Furyk US 3.99
18 Stewart Cink US 3.94

Golden Bear
07-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Anyone know how these work.

Looking at the latest - how come Harrington is so far behind Garcia & Mickelson, when he has won three of the last six majors?

Also, how has McIlroy rocketeted to 16th when he has only featured for the last 6 months? I know he has had a few good finishes, but has only won one (I think).

Men's world rankings, 2 Mar
1 Tiger Woods US 9.44 pts ave
2 Sergio Garcia Spa 7.63
3 Phil Mickelson US 7.28
4 Geoff Ogilvy Aus 6.40
5 Padraig Harrington Ire 6.17
6 Vijay Singh Fij 5.97
7 Henrik Stenson Swe 4.99
8 Robert Karlsson Swe 4.95
9 Camilo Villegas Col 4.81
10 Kenny Perry US 4.73
11 Anthony Kim US 4.47
12 Lee Westwood Eng 4.32
13 Paul Casey Eng 4.32
14 Ernie Els SA 4.30
15 Steve Stricker US 4.24
16 Rory McIlroy NI 4.01
17 Jim Furyk US 3.99
18 Stewart Cink US 3.94

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of the rankings. The majors and World Championship events will obviously carry a higher points rating than the average tour event.

Padraig tends to concentrate his efforts on "the Majors" and the world events these days, so his appearances are less frequent than some of the other players.

I would think that the strength of the field could be another factor - hence Rory McIlroy's rapid rise in the rankings following his outstanding victory in Dubai.

Tiger is still well in front of the pack despite his injury so it must take a while before the effect of previous points earned is diluted because of loss of form/injury.

My player "tip" for this year is Paul Casey - I think he'll have a great season and is sure to improve on his present position of 13th.

greenlex
08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of the rankings. The majors and World Championship events will obviously carry a higher points rating than the average tour event.

Padraig tends to concentrate his efforts on "the Majors" and the world events these days, so his appearances are less frequent than some of the other players.

I would think that the strength of the field could be another factor - hence Rory McIlroy's rapid rise in the rankings following his outstanding victory in Dubai.

Tiger is still well in front of the pack despite his injury so it must take a while before the effect of previous points earned is diluted because of loss of form/injury.

My player "tip" for this year is Paul Casey - I think he'll have a great season and is sure to improve on his present position of 13th.

Thats about right.

McIlroy is the real deal by the way.

Golden Bear
08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Thats about right.

:agree:

He's well placed in this week's tournament on the PGA tour - I'm looking forward to the final round tonight.

Gaffer1875
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Thats about right.

Too right he is! I played a course he has the course record at in NI last year, in Ballyliffin. The locals say they have never seen anyone strike a golf ball the way he does. His score of 66, 5 under on what I can only describe is the hardest course I have ever played of the back tees, was unbelievable. I play of 4, and shot 86 which I was delighted with! I played awesomely well and was still +15!

GC
15-03-2009, 10:47 PM

I'm still in awe of the man winning the US Open on one leg, greatest player to ever pick up a golf club.

McIlroy looks a beauty of a player though, really looking forward to watching him throughout the rest of the season, especially the Open.

Allant1981
17-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm still in awe of the man winning the US Open on one leg, greatest player to ever pick up a golf club.

McIlroy looks a beauty of a player though, really looking forward to watching him throughout the rest of the season, especially the Open.

I seen him play last year when they were playing at my work and the laddie needs a hair cut, cracking player mind you