View Full Version : The six nations

CB_NO3
07-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Who gives a ***** :wink:

bingo70
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM

me :thumbsup:

Not really a rugby guy, love the 6 nations though, outstanding event.

No idea whos going to win it this year though, anyone any tips?

got a wee fiver on france to beat ireland by 1-5 points @ 5's, anyone in the know reckon thats good value :dunno:

Perth Hibee
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Not me, way i see it.....if its on the bbc it`s generally pash!!! :agree:

Sylar
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Good opening game, but Italy look brutal - England are mauling them so far!

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Good opening game, but Italy look brutal - England are mauling them so far!

That was one of the worst games of rubgy I have witnessed.

Hopefully Ireland v France bursts into life soon.

Sylar
07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
That was one of the worst games of rubgy I have witnessed.

Hopefully Ireland v France bursts into life soon.

T'wasn't great, I'll give you that! England got comfortable then shut up shop.

Thought it would have been a decent fixture to open up with as well, but no such luck!

I've given up on the Ireland vs France game - it was just as bad.

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
the welsh to retain the 6 nations me thinks :agree:

Sir David Gray
07-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I've always hated rugby, but I gave it one last chance by watching some of the last World Cup. It almost put me to sleep, needless to say I haven't watched a game of rugby since.

In saying that, I would like Scotland to win the 6 Nations. If we don't win it, then I don't care who wins it, as long as it's either France, Ireland, Italy or Wales. :greengrin

lyonhibs
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Fantastic news that the 6 Nations is back. All it takes a wee bit of effort to understand the rules and Rugby UNION (note: not that league pish) is a great sport. Only time I really get involved with rugby, and the 6 Nations always seems to fall at the time of year when Hibs are especially pish.

Watching France getting cuffed in France in a Parisien Irish Bar was a great laugh as well!!!

Greentinted
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I fancy Scotland to win this, dunno why, just a feeling. Would be good to see an underdog double in the EH11 area.:greengrin

Sylar
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
This Welsh commentator is REALLY getting on my wick.

He's so goggle-eyed it's rediculous. I don't blame him, since he's watching his team, but there's no Scottish focus/interest shown by the BBC.

We're going to get a mauling come full time :boo hoo:

0-13 and we look utterly pathetic - this is embarassing!!!

Greentinted
08-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I truly know bugger all about rubgy...its a doing and its not pretty.

Gatecrasher
08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
what was the scotland score? i was too busy watching the football

--------
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
This Welsh commentator is REALLY getting on my wick.

He's so goggle-eyed it's rediculous. I don't blame him, since he's watching his team, but there's no Scottish focus/interest shown by the BBC.

We're going to get a mauling come full time :boo hoo:

0-13 and we look utterly pathetic - this is embarassing!!!

If you're referring to Jonathan Davies, he was simply telling it as it was. One team (Wales) knew what they were doing. The other "team" hadn't a clue.

I mean, ONE guy running into a Welshman, knocking himself out, having to be taken off is bad enough. TWO of them doing it? :faf:

And it's a bit embarrassing when your try-scorer against Wales is a guy called Evans. Maybe they lent him to us just to spare our blushes?

danhibees1875
08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
When was the last time we won this?

Im going to the Italy game on the 28th. :thumbsup:

Ed De Gramo
08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I can't believe I sat and watched that pash :yawn::yawn:

I hate frickin rugby...still wondering why I sat and watched it

Sir David Gray
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
what was the scotland score? i was too busy watching the football

They lost 26-13.

Hibbie_Cameron
08-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Hadden should have been sacked 2 years ago. Scotland are brutal at rugby

TheEastTerrace
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
T'wasn't great, I'll give you that! England got comfortable then shut up shop.

Thought it would have been a decent fixture to open up with as well, but no such luck!

I've given up on the Ireland vs France game - it was just as bad.

Just noticed this, you can't be serious??? Ireland-France was the best game the Six Nations has produced for years.

Part/Time Supporter
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
When was the last time we won this?

Im going to the Italy game on the 28th. :thumbsup:

1999. And at this rate they'll next win it after Hibs have won the Scottish Cup.

:wink:

sunshine1875
09-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Was at the game and reminded me a lot of watching Hibs this season. No belief that we were going to get anything from the game and no atmosphere. The lack of passion from the stands was disappointing.

Danderhall Hibs
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Was at the game and reminded me a lot of watching Hibs this season. No belief that we were going to get anything from the game and no atmosphere. The lack of passion from the stands was disappointing.

Sunday games are always the same.

Having said that I don't think the lack of atmosphere can be to blame - it's the lack of talent that's the problem. We need Paterson in at 10 asap - I've been saying that for about 10 years now.

Gatecrasher
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
They lost 26-13.

thanks

The_Todd
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
The last 15 minutes or so were outstanding. However, Wales had more or less decided they'd already won the match and eased off anyway.

Terrible performance for the most part by Scotland, though.

Hadden's time must be up.

--------
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM
The last 15 minutes or so were outstanding. However, Wales had more or less decided they'd already won the match and eased off anyway.

Terrible performance for the most part by Scotland, though.

Hadden's time must be up.

The only reason Scotland looked half decent in the last 15 minutes was because Wales had taken the foot right off th gas by that point - saving themselves for next week's game, I suspect.

It seems that these days the only Scottish sportsmen and women worth supporting are individuals like Andy Murray and Chris Hoy.

The official teams - the football and rugby teams are classic examples - are no better than public embarrassments.

But as long as there are folks prepared to go along to Hampden or Murrayfield to watch the rubbish, nothing will change.

IMO, if the Welsh had needed to win by, say, 50 points to win the competition, they would have. The Scotland team was a disgrace.

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Christ Hoy.

Slip of the tongue Georgie? Or is that why he's so good? :greengrin

Gatecrasher
10-02-2009, 08:50 PM

nah, there is no way christ is a jambo :cool2:

Teo10
10-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Sunday games are always the same.

Having said that I don't think the lack of atmosphere can be to blame - it's the lack of talent that's the problem. We need Paterson in at 10 asap - I've been saying that for about 10 years now.

Rugger Bugger:greengrin

Golden Bear
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I see that Frank Hadden has yet again not included Chris Paterson in his starting line for the match v France on Saturday.

Paterson is the most gifted rugby player in the squad and it's a *loody scandal that he's not an automatic choice.

It's not as if Scotland is blessed with a huge squad of talented backs to pick from, so I can only think that the SRU's old school tie brigade can still influence the selection process.

:grr:

Danderhall Hibs
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
It's not as if Scotland is blessed with a huge squad of talented backs to pick from, so I can only think that the SRU's old school tie brigade can still influence the selection process.

:grr:

You could say that but then again he is our record cap holder so the old-tie brigade hasn't done him any harm so far!

There's no doubt he should be in the side though - he looked lively when he came on last Sunday. He was a quality stand-off when he was amateur and in the age group internationals but has never been given a proper chance in that position as a pro (the only time they did tehy made him captain as well - just to make sure there was enough pressure on him!)

Golden Bear
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
You could say that but then again he is our record cap holder so the old-tie brigade hasn't done him any harm so far!

There's no doubt he should be in the side though - he looked lively when he came on last Sunday. He was a quality stand-off when he was amateur and in the age group internationals but has never been given a proper chance in that position as a pro (the only time they did tehy made him captain as well - just to make sure there was enough pressure on him!)

It's a case of brawn before skill ----------- something we're all too familiar with !!

Splat
13-02-2009, 09:53 PM
It's a case of brawn before skill ----------- something we're all too familiar with !!

Yup, Shane Williams is the best player in the comp and he is barely 5'8.

Hibbie_Cameron
13-02-2009, 10:06 PM
How many are france going to win by?:tin hat:

Part/Time Supporter
13-02-2009, 10:15 PM
How many are france going to win by?:tin hat:

At least 20.

Bookies reckon 14-17. (http://www.igsport.com/content/lp_index.html?businessArea=S&id=RGUAAA2AADGF&siteType=B&locale=en_GB&webSiteId=igi&priceType=S)

Hibbie_Cameron
13-02-2009, 10:19 PM
At least 20.

Bookies reckon 14-17. (http://www.igsport.com/content/lp_index.html?businessArea=S&id=RGUAAA2AADGF&siteType=B&locale=en_GB&webSiteId=igi&priceType=S)

I say 20+ If we win it will be a minor miracle

Danderhall Hibs
14-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I say 20+ If we win it will be a minor miracle

I'll go for 46-9.

If I was the French I'd pick the biggest lump they have as loose-head and make sure the Scottish scrum was humiliated again.

The only way we'll get a better result is if the French feel sorry for us like the Welsh did last week. The thing is they've rested a few of their top guys so the reserves will be in to prove a point.

It's going to be a long 80 minutes.

--------
14-02-2009, 02:44 PM

OOPSIE! Slip of the keyboard.

Do that a lot, and usually correct it.

Houchy
14-02-2009, 04:15 PM
How can a professional Rugby player not catch a ball that's passed from 3 yards away FFS.

How have we become so bad since the Grand Slam winning team of the Hastings brothers, Jeffries, Sole etc.

Scottish rugby is in a shocking state IMO and we could well struggle against Italy (again) at this rate.

--------
14-02-2009, 04:57 PM
How can a professional Rugby player not catch a ball that's passed from 3 yards away FFS.

How have we become so bad since the Grand Slam winning team of the Hastings brothers, Jeffries, Sole etc.

Scottish rugby is in a shocking state IMO and we could well struggle against Italy (again) at this rate.

So many basic, simple mistakes.

Numbskulls.

Andy Nicol referred to the Italy game as a "borefest"...

Jings - shows you how bad Hibs are - I'm getting exercised about rugby! :grr:

AndyP
14-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Simple answer, world rugby has evolved since the 84/90/99 Championship sides, Scotlands professional game is in a mess, lack of funding and lack of genuine competitions or player development. When the professional era started Scotland fielded 4 professional sides, Caledonian Reds, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Borders. Reds folded/merges with Glasgow due to no real fan base or desire for rugby in the North, Borders merged with Edinburgh and then resurfaced a few years later. However a lack of, shall we say, intelligent ticket pricing kept many fans from following the Borders as well as their traditional team. Plus there is a serious lack of funding at the SRU so we lose players like Simon Taylor and Nathan Hines to France and Simon Danielli to Ulster, rather than perhaps having the younger players getting good experince at these clubs

FWIW, we will struggle against Italy because there is no belief in the team at the moment, admittedly not as bad as Englands but we seem to panic as soon as we have a few phases of posession in the oppposition 22, plus they'll drag us into a forward battle which negates Scotland game slightly. Todays match showed that we can live with bigger sides, we just need to install some self belief and stop the basic errors.

down-the-slope
15-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Its been utter carnage from the off...the first tackle from Italy 35 secs on the clock and the Ireland No15 almost lost his head. I've seen less blood anc mashed faces in Heavy weight boxing