PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham Panthers v Edinburgh Caps

stu in nottingham
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Hope, predictions, concerns? How do we think this one will go then folks?

Here's a few views from this end.

Panthers v Caps
(http://thecageforum.proboards89.com/index.cgi?board=Hockey&action=display&thread=8674)

Hope the winter weather doesn't put paid to it.

PC Stamp
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Depends which Panters side show up. Unfortunately Roboflop did indeed turn out to be Robostop last time at MIR. We didn't play badly then but Panthers were clinical in front of goal whilst getting the wee breaks and bounces that good teams always seem to get ... whilst we didn't.

Anything Caps can take from the game will be a big bonus. Our sights are probably more set on two upcoming games against Cardiff who we could do with finally beating this season and of whom we should be capable of beating to gain some breathing space for the final play off spot.

stu in nottingham
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I saw the Panthers again last week, PC and whilst I wouldn't want to judge him on just two performances, Michel Robinson was absolutely excellent all game. Maybe it's the old thing of losing his confidence at the Caps? Perhaps had a lot of rubber coming his way.

You're right. If the disinterested Panthers of the first period last Saturday turn up then there's a chance for the Caps. Nottingham are quite a talented bunch of players but I'd sometimes question their work ethic, heart and drive. For much of the game last Saturday there was little intensity, coach Neilson but be pulling his hair out!

PC Stamp
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Whilst losing 5-2, the inference from a few locals who travelled down was that rookie ref Dean Smith was an out and out homer. Capitals took a large number of minors whilst Panthers almost saw the game out penalty free with their only transgression apparently coming with just 17 secs left!

Now other than the NHL All Star game when do you ever see a team go penalty free over one hour of competitive ice hockey? That's either some incredible team discipline or some inept officiating! (In fact a penalty was actually called on the East during this years NHL game!)

Doug Christiansen normally veers away from talking about officials but in today's Evening News he's asked a couple of questions about certain decisions and then asked if by his answers he could be deemed to be being critical of the ref. He replied "almost"

He did however further say that the better team won on the night and that's also been mirrored by those up here who travelled. However it's been suggested that as a result of the ref's perfromance, the Caps were given literally no opportunity to pose any kind of threat.

Did you attend Stu and if so what was your view?

Cod Boy
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
im not clued up about ice hockey but my next door neighbour works at the ice rink and is at all the home games he says some of the other teams are not trying as hard against hull so they get in the play offs instead of edinburgh so none of the english/welsh teams dont have to travel up to scotland for a play off game:dunno:

The_Todd
10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
im not clued up about ice hockey but my next door neighbour works at the ice rink and is at all the home games he says some of the other teams are not trying as hard against hull so they get in the play offs instead of edinburgh so none of the english/welsh teams dont have to travel up to scotland for a play off game:dunno:

I can't really see Edinburgh being much harder to get to than Hull. Besides - who would want to go to Hull?

:devil:

stu in nottingham
10-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Whilst losing 5-2, the inference from a few locals who travelled down was that rookie ref Dean Smith was an out and out homer. Capitals took a large number of minors whilst Panthers almost saw the game out penalty free with their only transgression apparently coming with just 17 secs left!

Now other than the NHL All Star game when do you ever see a team go penalty free over one hour of competitive ice hockey? That's either some incredible team discipline or some inept officiating! (In fact a penalty was actually called on the East during this years NHL game!)

Doug Christiansen normally veers away from talking about officials but in today's Evening News he's asked a couple of questions about certain decisions and then asked if by his answers he could be deemed to be being critical of the ref. He replied "almost"

He did however further say that the better team won on the night and that's also been mirrored by those up here who travelled. However it's been suggested that as a result of the ref's perfromance, the Caps were given literally no opportunity to pose any kind of threat.

Did you attend Stu and if so what was your view?

I didn't attend mate but what I can tell you is that I've witnessed years and years of ***** refereeing in Nottingham. Much of it apparently biased against the home team according to many. I don't normally get into talking about officials, especially when inferences of bias or cheating are levelled. I just don't believe it. Incompetence yes.

From a mate I hear Pasi in the Edinburgh goal had a fantastic game. Here's a the same mate's view on the game:

http://tcwfanzine.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/panthers-5-capitals-2/