PDA

View Full Version : Have you met any hibs players out and about?

RMG_82
29-01-2009, 06:06 AM
What hibs players have you met out and about?

I met David Murphy wandering about looking lost in Picardy Place one day. Big lad.

Also met Riordan in a pub in rose street, Olivers i think it was. Looked a bit frightened when I charged up to him to say awrite but he was sound and shook my hand anyhoo.

Met Mixu Princess street.

Met Kevin Thompson in Shakespears on lothian road when he was injured. Tried to get him to join in with the rudi skacel song but he was having none of it. Just laughed

Met darren jackson in blockbuster. Asked him what video he got, think he said "weekend at bernies "

Just realised i sound like a crazed hibs player stalker here but interested to know where u guys have met players out and about :cool2:

scott7_0(Prague)
29-01-2009, 07:03 AM
what hibs players have you met out and about?

I met david murphy wandering about looking lost in picardy place one day. Big lad.

Also met riordan in a pub in rose street, olivers i think it was. Looked a bit frightened when i charged up to him to say awrite but he was sound and shook my hand anyhoo.

Met mixu princess street.

Met kevin thompson in shakespears on lothian road when he was injured. Tried to get him to join in with the rudi skacel song but he was having none of it. Just laughed

met darren jackson in blockbuster. Asked him what video he got, think he said "weekend at bernies "

just realised i sound like a crazed hibs player stalker here but interested to know where u guys have met players out and about :cool2:

serial stalker alert!!!!

FastEddieFelson
29-01-2009, 07:34 AM
on sunday, lewis stevenson drove away from my street (in dundee), after apparently being at a house party the night before.

its probably a good thing i wasnt at this house party, don't think i would have left him alone.

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Met Deano & Nish in Ocean Terminal, Deano was a nice bloke.

Met Ivan in Best Kebab one night too, dunno who was more drunk me or him :faf:

hibsbollah
29-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Did he have those manky roast tatties? :jamboak:

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 08:24 AM

You sir, have no taste :grr:

lapsedhibee
29-01-2009, 08:52 AM
So what are you saying, that Nishy snubbed you? :wink:

Ritchie
29-01-2009, 08:52 AM
met mixu during his cowdenbeath days in boom barbers.

met practically the whole team in why not VIP lounge last new year.

met morais numerous times.... i call him zarabi which he takes in good humour, seen him in le monde just after he scored teh double for ICT.
told me both his goals were crap but he should be doing that for the hibees.

best story came from the new year just past though... was in why not dancing away on the dancefloor.... andy mcneil was with a few mates next to the dancefloor...... there had been a small stage erected infront of the DJ box.... one of mcneils friends was totally smashed and tripped over the stage.... guess who tried to catch him.... and missed..... oooo the irony!!! :faf:

away from hibees, i met neil lennon walking past ryans bar & claudio cannagia in guilanos.

O, and i met peter beardsley & kevin keegan at musselburgh races

most famous footy player i met though is steven gerrard & joey barton in Garlands nightclub in liverpool.

not that i'm name dropping like..... :blah:

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 08:55 AM
So what are you saying, that Nishy snubbed you? :wink:

Other way about really, I was only really interested in speaking to Deano, Nish was offside anyway :wink:

Ritchie
29-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Other way about really, I was only really interested in speaking to Deano, Nish was offside anyway :wink:

:faf:

lapsedhibee
29-01-2009, 08:58 AM
:tsk tsk: Can't be offside if you're not interfering in the conversation. :wink:

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I have also met

Russell Latapy & Dwight Yorke, Yorke didnt like me very much, it was in the 3 Sisters when Euro 2000 was on, I walked up & said "Excuse me can I have your autograph please?", Yorke said "sure whats your name", he wasnt too chuffed when I said "I wasnt talking to you I was asking Russell" :faf:

Russell had a wee chuckle to himself though :thumbsup:

rainman
29-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I have also met

Russell Latapy & Dwight Yorke, Yorke didnt like me very much, it was in the 3 Sisters when Euro 2000 was on, I walked up & said "Excuse me can I have your autograph please?", Yorke said "sure whats your name", he wasnt too chuffed when I said "I wasnt talking to you I was asking Russell" :faf:

Saw that pair in the same pub at the same time as well. Great guys, were buying us tequila's for a while. :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Saw that pair in the same pub at the same time as well. Great guys, were buying us tequila's for a while. :thumbsup:

They were both actually good blokes, I didnt even notice them at first, then my mate goes "Did you just see who you were standing at the bar beside?" I turned round & saw them sitting there. :thumbsup:

bobbyhibs1983
29-01-2009, 09:14 AM
A lil side story and not a player but
I remeber a few years ago my sister and I were in the gyle, and had just gotten the hibs callender.We were in whs smiths and well i thought, isn't that the hibs manager, a certain Tony Mowbray.
My sis was not sure and while i was looking at whatever i was looking at(cant remeber) and well, my sis followed him and got him to sign her callender

soupy
29-01-2009, 09:15 AM
met quite a few hibs players out and about, and when celtic played Aalborg in the champs league i took Brian Laudrup through to his hotel in Glasgow(he was doin work for Danish tv) in my taxi,,very nice guy... He wanted to talk about Hibs aswell, which was a bonus...

Darth Hibbie
29-01-2009, 09:15 AM
I have also met

Never met any hibs players while they have been playing for us but have bumped into a few ex players.

John Collins
Paul Hartley
Andy Goram (really decent guy was surprised had heard he was a bit of an:asshole:)

For non hibs player used to see Arthur Newman in ASDA all the time, again a really decent guy. I met Barry Ferguson once.:rolleyes:

Tomsk
29-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Never met any hibs players while they have been playing for us but have bumped into a few ex players.

John Collins
Paul Hartley
Andy Goram (really decent guy was surprised had heard he was a bit of an:asshole:)

For non hibs player used to see Arthur Newman in ASDA all the time, again a really decent guy. I met Barry Ferguson once.:rolleyes:

I met Goram dozens of times when he was with Hibs. Even played fives with him. He was a right good lad in those days. No pretensions at all.

He turned into a complete arse. But that's what the Huns do to you ... em, so I understand.

Darth Hibbie
29-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I met Goram dozens of times when he was with Hibs. Even played fives with him. He was a right good lad in those days. No pretensions at all.

He turned into a complete arse. But that's what the Huns do to you ... em, so I understand.

He runs a small drinking establishment not far from me now, not that I would drink there........ Have spoke to him a couple of times outside it though and is always happy to chat.

Hibs90
29-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I've met Torben Joneleit when he was on loan here. Seen Derek Riordan in McDonalds on Princes Street the other week. Ross Chisholm on the number 22. Ian Murray, Gary O'Connor, Kevin Thomson, David Grof, Roland Edge.

And I've saved the best for last, the living legend himself,

THIERRY GATHUESSI!:thumbsup::cool2:

Tomsk
29-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I've met Torben Joneleit when he was on loan here. Seen Derek Riordan in McDonalds on Princes Street the other week. Ross Chisholm on the number 22. Ian Murray, Gary O'Connor, Kevin Thomson, David Grof, Roland Edge.

Ian Murray was regularly spotted at the shops at Oxgangs Broadway during his first spell at Hibs. The fact that there was a cream cookies there I am sure was entirely coincidental to his being there.

hibsbollah
29-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I met a good few of the players on the train to their night out once. It was brilliant to discover that professional footballers arent all arrogant primadonnas like we're always told, they were all really friendly and genuine:agree:

sambajustice
29-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Met Pat Stanton last Thursday, also was speaking to him at my uncle's wedding. Saw, Le God, in Princes' St, went to go speak to him but thought "nah, he's out with the family trying to have a nice day out, i'll just leave him"

Other less illustrious characters include, Brebner, Ormen and A.N Other at Mercado's the night follwing the 3-1 pumping we took at Tannadice.

Was playing pool with a girl I was at college with at the pool hall just beside Meadowbank House, Broony and a mate walked in and started playing on the table beside us. The fact it was Broony was totally lost on this bird, she was totally uninterested.

I told Stuart Lovell once in the club shop that it looks like Hibs have lost their confidence.

Probably the most famous sportsman i've met and talked to was Seve Ballesterous when we were filming for A Question of Sport!

:greengrin

Onceinawhile
29-01-2009, 09:43 AM
met most of moggas squad on a christmas night out in city 3 Christmases ago.

Met Mikey stewart, Jamie Mckluskey, Fletch(who was a right dick), Riordan, Deek and a few others

I also used to see Riordan quite frequently in establishment on a thursday
I also met Garry O connor once when he was playing for Loko, I was highly surprised.

Andy74
29-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Met Sproule and Shiels in the Burke and Hare after the Hearts game we lost just after winning the league cup.

It was seemingly the start of the revolt against Collins. Sproule turned up hung over the next morning, got a ticking off from JC and Sproule complained that they didn't get enough time off to have a drink if they wanted.

A few players backed Sproule, then the complaints about the trip abroad were added to it and it all kicked on from there. Apparently.

Tomsk
29-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Met Sproule and Shiels in the Buke and Hare after the Hearts game we lost just after winning the league cup.

It was seemingly the start of the revolt against Collins. Sproule turned up hung over the next morning, got a ticking off from JC and Sproule complained that they didn't get enough time off to have a drink if they wanted.

A few players backed Sproule, then the complaints about the trip abroad were added to it and it all kicked on from there. Apparently.

So, it was all your fault!

Hibs90
29-01-2009, 10:03 AM
met most of moggas squad on a christmas night out in city 3 Christmases ago.

Met Mikey stewart, Jamie Mckluskey, Fletch(who was a right dick), Riordan, Deek and a few others

I also used to see Riordan quite frequently in establishment on a thursday
I also met Garry O connor once when he was playing for Loko, I was highly surprised.
Twins?:greengrin

Andy74
29-01-2009, 10:04 AM
So, it was all your fault!

Naked ladies. It was their fault.

johnrebus
29-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Returning from a holiday up north with the kids a few years ago, we stopped off at a hotel in Kinross for a meal.

Sitting at the table I recognised a few familiar faces waliking past, Jim Leighton - gawd is he bandy - then Ian Murray and a few other guys, which made me realise it was the Scotland U21 squad. ( They were playing a game at Dunfermilne that night.)

Anyway, what I remember most is that when I pointed them out to the wife and kids, they were all friendly, smiling etc. except one of them - a wee rat faced guy with a red streak doon the the middle of his heid - started to give me the evil eye, for a good six or seven seconds. I held hiis stare till he eventually moved on, thinking ' Whit a pr*ck!'

He wasn't famous at the time and it was only later I realised it was.......,

James Mcfadden..............,

California-Hibs
29-01-2009, 10:12 AM
About a year and a half ago, me and the guy i was working with that day were on our way to a job. Anyway we were stuck behind a wee bit of traffic just beside that pool place at Meadowbank (cant remember its name). As we were waiting, all of a sudden strolling along the pavement with his mate was Kevin Thomshun. I rolled down the window and said ''Awrite Kevin'' He turned and said ''Awrite'' then continued walking. I then said ''Here'' and he stopped and faced the van. Then i shouted at the top of my lungs ''OOOH KEVIN THOMSON YOU USED TO BE A HIBEE BUT YOU SOLD YOUR SOLE!'' Then at the perfect timing the lights changed and we pulled away, me with my head sticking out the window with a big grin, and Thomsons embarrassed/ragin face was a picture i'll ALWAYS rememeber! :thumbsup:

Andy74
29-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Returning from a holiday up north with the kids a few years ago, we stopped off at a hotel in Kinross for a meal.

Sitting at the table I recognised a few familiar faces waliking past, Jim Leighton - gawd is he bandy - then Ian Murray and a few other guys, which made me realise it was the Scotland U21 squad. ( They were playing a game at Dunfermilne that night.)

Anyway, what I remember most is that when I pointed them out to the wife and kids, they were all friendly, smiling etc. except one of them - a wee rat faced guy with a red streak doon the the middle of his heid - started to give me the evil eye, for a good six or seven seconds. I held hiis stare till he eventually moved on, thinking ' Whit a pr*ck!'

He wasn't famous at the time and it was only later I realised it was.......,

James Mcfadden..............,

Was Jim Leighton lying about his age??

johnrebus
29-01-2009, 10:17 AM
He was a coach.

Come to think of it, you could have driven a coach through his legs.

:hmmm:

EH6 Hibby
29-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Seen quite a few players past and present, out and about in town, including Deeks (not recently obviously :greengrin) O'Connor, Scott Brown, Ivan, Yogi, Mixu, Keith Wright and Russel.

Saw Jimmy Boco when he played for Hibs in Lothian Road at about 3am when I was very drunk. Then I saw him again about 45 minutes later in Leith Street where he did an uncanny impression of me screaming and jumping up and down when I saw him the first time! :greengrin

Chuckie
29-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I've drank with Andy Goram, Ivan Sproule and Russell Latapy..

Ivan was the soundest...

TheEastTerrace
29-01-2009, 11:26 AM
When I was in Primary School, Keith Wright coached us as part of a SFA coaching/tournament thing at Wardie. I got a round of applause from him for a left foot blast into the top bag.

Have met Paul Kane at Tynie. Riordan, Brown, Thomson, Morrow were in Olivers on Rose Street one time. Yogi Hughes used to live around the corner from me when he was at Hibs.

My mate once delivered a Pizza Hut to Le God when he was at Hibs. Said he came to the door proudly sporting the full Hibs tracksuit. Loved the club. :top marks

Full Time Supporter
29-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I see Mixu every Monday night at Craiglockhart Tennis Centre picking his kids up from lessons.

Billychaotic182
29-01-2009, 11:47 AM
When i was out in Kirkcaldy with some mates i bumped into Lewis Stevenson. My two of my mates were at school with him so he came and had a drink with us. Told him he looked like the guy out of Enter Shikari........ He Agreed lol.

Also another night out in Dunfermline I meet wee Tam. Really nice guy. Told him the the funniest thing i have ever seen on a football pitch was him pole dancing

Also Steven Whitaker and the other under 19s Sat infront of me and my dad in the west stand.

Leith_Hibee
29-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Here is one for the auld timers:

I met Des Bremner in Lowestoft of all places in the early 90's. He was/is chair of the Professional Footballers Association and did a talk at the opening ceremony of a tournament I was playing in.

Very good down to earth guy and was only too happy to talk about his time at Hibs. One of his regrets was losing the scottish cup final to rangers after two replays.

All before my time but only too happy to listen to a true Hibs legend.

keep the faith
29-01-2009, 12:26 PM

I met David Murphy wandering about looking lost in Picardy Place one day. Big lad.

Also met Riordan in a pub in rose street, Olivers i think it was. Looked a bit frightened when I charged up to him to say awrite but he was sound and shook my hand anyhoo.

Met Kevin Thompson in Shakespears on lothian road when he was injured. Tried to get him to join in with the rudi skacel song but he was having none of it. Just laughed

Met darren jackson in blockbuster. Asked him what video he got, think he said "weekend at bernies "

Just realised i sound like a crazed hibs player stalker here but interested to know where u guys have met players out and about :cool2:

That is the funniest most surreal line I have read since Macar's bedroom related theory to Brian Kerr's poor form. Obviously not Barry Norman are you Jacko!!

Killiehibbie
29-01-2009, 12:31 PM
After the 5-1 League Cup final I was picking up Killie players at hotel Nish is just getting in when I said no ****ing hibbies allowed in here. He wouldn't get in taxi until somebody assured him I was joking.

ChrissyG1875
29-01-2009, 12:39 PM

:not worth:not worth

Dashing Bob S
29-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Last year I was in John Lewis's with the wife, when I spied Brian Kerr with his better half. She was laden down with purchases, while he was strolling about, empty handed, some distance behind her. She assured us that he was doing a lot of essential shopping for the family, but I have to concede that I didn't really notice.

Mon Dieu4
29-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I saw Rino Gattusso, Sergio Porrini & Marco Negri at an Oasis concert at the SECC must have been about 97/98, it was the day after Hibs had been beaten 1-0 by them at Ibrox, I think Chris Reid was in goal, their penalty hit the bar then the goalie then went in :grr:

Anyway Negri went off in that game with a suspected broken leg, he was rolling about & got stretchered off, then 24 hours later I see him dancing about to Oasis.

4 of us started giving him pelters until Porrini turned round :faf:

1two
29-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I met Nick Colgan in a club in Newcastle about 2 xmas ago! Cant remember who he said he was playing for at the time, but the whole squad were there! (possibly crewe or colchester or something beginning with C but possibly not:confused:) They were all in Fancy dress and Colgan was a doctor/surgeon! I went over and asked if he wanted drink,which he declined!
When i mentioned i was a hibby he was sound though and said he had a lot of good memories from here!

I also met boozy and ivan in a club at lothian road, not long after sproule joined i think! boozy cuddled me and got my photo with him, Ivan was a bit quiet and didnt seem to want to get involved, so i then and i offered him a race which he turned down, but was probably for the best since we were in subway at the time!:eek:
I met him since then and was a great laugh, although we didn't race each other this time either!

Ritchie
29-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I saw Rino Gattusso, Sergio Porrini & Marco Negri at an Oasis concert at the SECC must have been about 97/98, it was the day after Hibs had been beaten 1-0 by them at Ibrox, I think Chris Reid was in goal, their penalty hit the bar then the goalie then went in :grr:

Anyway Negri went off in that game with a suspected broken leg, he was rolling about & got stretchered off, then 24 hours later I see him dancing about to Oasis.

4 of us started giving him pelters until Porrini turned round :faf:

that reminds me of the time when andy goram brought McCoist, Gattuso & Gazza up to his local in Penicuik.

Goram, McCoist & Gazza jumped in a taxi and left gattuso in the boozer.... he couldnt speak a word of english at the time either!! haha

Ritchie
29-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I met Nick Colgan in a club in Newcastle about 2 xmas ago! Cant remember who he said he was playing for at the time, but the whole squad were there! (possibly crewe or colchester or something beginning with C but possibly not:confused:) They were all in Fancy dress and Colgan was a doctor/surgeon! I went over and asked if he wanted drink,which he declined!
When i mentioned i was a hibby he was sound though and said he had a lot of good memories from here!

I also met boozy and ivan in a club at lothian road, not long after sproule joined i think! boozy cuddled me and got my photo with him, Ivan was a bit quiet and didnt seem to want to get involved, so i then and i offered him a race which he turned down, but was probably for the best since we were in subway at the time!:eek:
I met him since then and was a great laugh, although we didn't race each other this time either!

when i met Boozy in a club he cuddled me too, haha!

must be a french thing!! :confused:

1two
29-01-2009, 12:54 PM

I am also positive that I seen a Limousine at the top of leith walk a few weeks after Rangers had won the league a few seasons back! One of the guys inside which i thought was Bob Malcolm stuck his head out the window and pointed to his medal! - At the time I was positive that this had happenened although when i met my mates later they all laughed at me:blah:! I was also stone cold sober at the time!

dirtydirk
29-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Derek Townsley use to drink in my local and one Friday night he sat and got reeking on Guiness cause he was supposingly injured and didnt have to play the next day. I can remember even buying him a pint myself.

Anyway I can remember sitting in the east stand the next day and about choking on my pie when the tannoy announcer read the teams and Townsley was playing centre half. We got hammered by Dunfermline and Townsley made a complete howler for one of their goals.

He must have had 10 pints of guiness that night!!!

Met Michael Owen and Nicky Butt walking along George V bridge just before Xmas as they were up for the Newcastle night out. Was suprised at how short both of them were.

hibsbollah
29-01-2009, 01:03 PM
when i met Boozy in a club he cuddled me too, haha!

must be a french thing!! :confused:

He cuddled me too. I now feel so used though, like an old shoe:grr:

whereswallace?
29-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I used to be Le Gods postman when he was here and used to catch him every morning on his way to training,i was absolutely starstruck as he was my hero! Very nice guy tho and would always let on and talk to me!

Im no bad friends with Boozy and Deek,i know Nishy and Grof :duck: aswell.

As an aside,David Obua is a very good guy for a yam,as was Phil Stamp,really down to earth. Alan Maybury is the biggest fud iv met :grr:

Ritchie
29-01-2009, 01:04 PM
He cuddled me too. I now feel so used though, like an old shoe:grr:

dirty coventry MANWHORE!!! :grr:

hibsbollah
29-01-2009, 01:05 PM
dirty coventry MANWHORE!!! :grr:

French flirt:grr::faf:

Littlest Hobo
29-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Saw ALEX MILLER sunbathing on a beach in Santa Ponsa one year. Saw Paul Wright sunbathing by our pool the same year. He didn't play for the Hibs at the time though, so i refused to apply the lotion for him :greengrin

Johny Leith in the back of my taxi. Asked him why he wasn't getting a game, his answer was to shrug his shoulders and say ( you will have to ask Mr Collins )

Riorden and Morrow in the taxi.....Casino ! Gave me a tip. Good lads !

H18sry
29-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Barnsley :agree: not a C but nearly:greengrin

Storar
29-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I took a pish next to Boozy at the Albion Rovers game a few seasons ago.

I think the rule about not talking to a guy when he's taking a leak doesn't apply in France:grr:

Also while on a tour of Easter Road I saw Shelton Martis' BMW. Not sure if that counts as out and about though.

Very disturbing.

MUSSI LEE
29-01-2009, 01:20 PM
was paul fenwick postie great guy

Billychaotic182
29-01-2009, 01:52 PM
French flirt:grr::faf:

Its the power of the Afro.

It makes him Smooth :faf:

Speedy
29-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Last year I was in John Lewis's with the wife, when I spied Brian Kerr with his better half. She was laden down with purchases, while he was strolling about, empty handed, some distance behind her. She assured us that he was doing a lot of essential shopping for the family, but I have to concede that I didn't really notice.

He's always been good at that unseen shopping

Bamba
29-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Colin Nish is sometimes in the bookies I work in, in Granton. He seems alright, doesn't say an awful lot and I don't make a big deal out of the fact I know who he is.
Dean Shiels often visits the Easter Road branch and gives them tickets sometimes

mouvran
29-01-2009, 03:56 PM
strangely enough i have seen theirry gatheussi quite a few times on the bus!
very weird....

Potty78
29-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Met Nick Colgan a few times,he was a nice and honest guy.Used to think Katie was a nice bloke to talk to but not seen him in his home town for a while.

Zemmama19
29-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I have met Deano, Morais ,Bamba and nish in shanghai,but the most Famous player a have seen is Benni McCarthy aswell in Shanghai:agree:

Moody Mulder
29-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Bobby Smith, small curly player in the 70s was at my stepfather's funeral, nice guy !

matty_f
29-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I see Stevie Crawford every weekday morning taking at my laddie's school.

And before anyone asks - Maka.:agree:

SteveG
29-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Met John O'Neil and his old man at a hotel in Tenerife a couple of years back. Spent the night talking all things Hibs. He even had some Hibs ring tones on his phone and can remember finishing up in the early hours signing the Paul Harley song (he used to be an neighbour of John's) :wink:. Fantastic night out and it hit home on how much he loved his spell at Hibs.

Greenheart
29-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Have met Brian Rice and David Hagan (ex rangers) work related

Mates with Stuart Burgess ex falkirk and killie he cheats at golf and evry other game lol

Nakedmanoncrack
29-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Met Kevin Thompson in Shakespears on lothian road when he was injured. Tried to get him to join in with the rudi skacel song but he was having none of it.

That's good, he's not a total twat then.

Randerson_4
29-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Ian Murray was regularly spotted at the shops at Oxgangs Broadway during his first spell at Hibs. The fact that there was a cream cookies there I am sure was entirely coincidental to his being there.

I've actually seen him in that bookies. My mate had made some comment bout him(was when he was at Huns) & I walked up to counter slagging him off & guess who was placing a bet?

Also met Paul Kane in the ticket office, he was buying about 20 tickets & pulled out a wad of cash to pay for them. Me being a bit younger was amazed to see so much money

See Riordan in City one night. Went up to say alrite & his 2 mates came over looking menacingly, but he said it's cool. Then offered to buy us drinks & pulled out bout 40 quid in coins, took his drinks & said to the barmaid, take what I'm due, give this lad the change! Needless to say I made the most of it!!

stevensons-fan
29-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Ive met Gatheussi and Curier on princes street, and see Morais, Grof, McNeil and Darren Mcormack out all the time!

Peevemor
29-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I've seen loads out and about over the years and there are some that I got to know to varing degrees. There is one sighting that stands out from the rest though, which I've posted before but here it is again.

I'd been in town with my mates buying a set of points for my train set or something and we got the number 44 bus to head home. The bus stopped at Shandwick Place and the entire Hibs first team got on and sat upstairs where we were. This would have been late 70s, so we're speaking about the likes of Jim McArthur, Benny, Arthur D, Des Bremner, fat Ally, Oh Ralphie Ralphie, etc. (it was Benny I noticed first funnily enough :greengrin).

I was dumbfounded - these guys were my heroes! Gordon Rae started gently slagging one of my mates who had a Meadowbank scarf on and we ended up chatting to them for a minute or two before they all got off the bus at Shandon. I was so starstruck that a couple of minutes later, my nose started pishing with blood for no apparent reason.

What's really strange about the whole episode is that this happened during a Saturday lunchtime, with Hibs having a match at Easter Road that same afternoon. :wtf:

Dashing Bob S
29-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I see Stevie Crawford every weekday morning taking at my laddie's school.

And before anyone asks - Maka.:agree:

Taking what, Matty?

GlesgaeHibby
29-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Met John Collins a year or so ago.

Other football players; saw Neil Lennon a couple of fridays ago in the pub, bumped into Donati(literally) on the day we beat celtic in december.

Ed De Gramo
29-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I've met far too many to name....

last one I saw was lofty staggering round Le Monde like he owned the freakin place :greengrin

King Paddy
29-01-2009, 09:09 PM
have met Tony Mowbray about the time when their was speculation regarding our wage structure. We were going great at that time, but he deflated me by saying(qoute), we only pay buttons at E.R. The following day we hammered the huns 2-1 going on 6-1. Deeks scored and so did G.O.

500miles
29-01-2009, 09:18 PM

:grr::grr::grr:

Sir Ivan is clearly a man of refined taste if he dines in Leith's finest.:thumbsup:

matty_f
29-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Taking what, Matty?

his bairn to school:agree:

This is what happens when you start a post at work (on a break), get interupted, have a discussion then come back to your posts.:greengrin

hibby19
29-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Saw Fletcher in Ocean Terminal a few years ago. Also had Riordan in my house on the night we beat Motherwell at Fir Park this season.

I'm sure there have been others but can't think of them just now :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
29-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Me and a couple of other posters on here know Keith Wright way back from when we were nippers and used to borrow his match balls won from hat-tricks to play with! :greengrin

Been out for drinkie-poo's a few times with Kenny Miller both when at Wolves and latterly with Rangers.

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2009, 09:41 PM
his bairn to school:agree:

This is what happens when you start a post at work (on a break), get interupted, have a discussion then come back to your posts.:greengrin

I don't know what you look like, Matty, so you'll forgive me for picturing you as David Schwimmer screaming 'I was on a break!' at your boss, as he serves you your P45 for persistent dotNetting during office hours.

Davy Mac
29-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Somebody knocked on my hotel door at the Ramada in Liege in 89, - "sorry, I thought it was Houchey's room". It turned out to be Graham Mitchell! we couldnae believe it we were staying at the same hotel as the team and on the same floor.

Never forget it, doon wi the players before the coach left for the stadium.........even with the CS gas cannisters getting lobbed about outside.....:greengrin

Cheshire Hibee
29-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Delabooze
Testimonial due

Delabooze

You only have to be in George Street on a Saturday evening to witness the bevvying culture of the players....

Seems this guy has met them all in one night. :devil:

Baldy Foghorn
29-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Delabooze
Testimonial due

Delabooze

You only have to be in George Street on a Saturday evening to witness the bevvying culture of the players....

Seems this guy has met them all in one night. :devil:

Oh Dear, get a life.......

MrRobot
29-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Keith Wright came into the gym I was doing my work experience in in 4th year. Spoke to me the third time :greengrin

Met Lewis Stevenson coming out of the Enter Shikari concert, not long after the 1-1 Hibs v Hearts draw. Gave him a well done :greengrin.

JennaFletcher
29-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I met John Collins two nights before the CIS cup final at Edinburgh Playhouse with his daughters while Fame was on 2 years ago. Got him to sign my Fame ticket and told him I was going to the cup final, to which he replied "Well, hopefully we'll get the right result for ya" :thumbsup: to which they definitely did.

Also met a very drunk :dizzy: Morais and McCormack :dizzy: in City nightclub... didn't have a clue what they were saying, they were pretty drunk!

MrRobot
29-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Met Boozy who when we waked him if he was leaving Hibs, replied "No, me, Hibee forever"... :boo hoo:

JennaFletcher
29-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Also forgot this but I met Nick Colgan at the airport in Dublin on the way back to Edinburgh, told him of how much I fan he was and he gave me his Republic of Ireland goalie top. Great guy :agree:

rainman
29-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Also forgot this but I met Nick Colgan at the airport in Dublin on the way back to Edinburgh, told him of how much I fan he was and he gave me his Republic of Ireland goalie top. Great guy :agree:

Nick Colgan is a great guy! Still follows hibs and is just an altogether bloody throughly nice chap. :agree:

matty_f
29-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know what you look like, Matty, so you'll forgive me for picturing you as David Schwimmer screaming 'I was on a break!' at your boss, as he serves you your P45 for persistent dotNetting during office hours.

I bloody hate David Schwimmer!:grr:

I was in Manchester for a work thing last year, and the Villareal team were in the same hotel as me ahead of their CL game v Man U.

aussie_hibee
30-01-2009, 12:29 AM
When i was back on holiday in 2001, my sister took me out after a game to a pub where the players used to go. (Ricks bar i think) I met, brebner (who bought us a fair few vodka red bulls), de la cruz (who hardly spoke a word of english but still managed to leave with 2 stunners after about 15 mins) and brewster.

I've also met stanton, reilly, turnbull and joe baker through my grandad.

bod
30-01-2009, 01:04 AM
In Dublin for triggers stag night when we ended up in the same boozer as Chris Reids & his mates also Keith Wright,Brian Hamilton,Gordon Hunter & Reidies faither is all i can mind.
We had hibs kilts on i remember Chris's auld man askin us no to pish in them cos they were hiring them the following week.

RMG_82
26-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Somebody knocked on my hotel door at the Ramada in Liege in 89, - "sorry, I thought it was Houchey's room". It turned out to be Graham Mitchell! we couldnae believe it we were staying at the same hotel as the team and on the same floor.

Never forget it, doon wi the players before the coach left for the stadium.........even with the CS gas cannisters getting lobbed about outside.....:greengrin

She doesnae play for hibs but i've just met Cate Blanchett in a pub in erth western australia. guid chassis

marinello59
26-03-2010, 07:06 AM
She doesnae play for hibs but i've just met Cate Blanchett in a pub in erth western australia. guid chassis

SidBurns
26-03-2010, 07:53 AM
For some strange reason Deek speaks to me everytime he see's me!?! Must think I'm someone else...

Met KT and Kev McDonald, infact was in their flat as I was (at the time) bopping KT's sisters best mate. Would've rather done KT's sister and up the rear at that! :greengrin

Seen Scott Brown in Asda, Flecth numerous times up town and also Latapy & Yorke in the 3 Sisters. They were both puffing away on big Cuban cigars with about 3/4 birds each, good times!

My Auntie once met Zitellii, she put her hand out to shake his hand, he bypassed that I put his hand on her erse instead, LEGEND!

Cracker
26-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Have not met them out and about , had a home visit by Steven Thicot-Sol Bamba-Steve Pinua and big Maka-all good guys.:thumbsup:

Banter
26-03-2010, 10:56 AM
This thread got me thinking and I have had my fair share of close encounters.

-Used to be Alex McCleish's neighbour
-Been out a night out with Boozy
-Met Agathe and his Missus lost in Jenners
-Through work met Zitelli, Jongleit,oh and Frank Macavennie:greengrin
-Parked Alan O'Briens motor
-Met Stokes, Riordan, Garry O, G Smith in various drinking establishments.

Also met Darren Fletcher in Cav and have put Roman Bedner out of a poker tournament although these are not Hibs players to be fair.

Bad Martini
26-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Got a row from Pat Stanton for dropping a Greggs sausage roll (just purchased on Easter Road) down the "sacred top"....he was right, I was bad and the ****ing grease didny come oot either :grr:

Long suffering
26-03-2010, 11:28 AM
so big nishy yesterday in the tesco metro near meggetland. got him to sign my football boots :top marks

Lendo
26-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Met Deek, Morrow, Murphy out and about on nights in town. Scott Brown was in Treacle a few weeks back. Got loads of hassle form the girls that were there. wanting pictures and stuff. To be fair to him he smiled and signed stuff for them.

Was in Gatwick airport one morning on my way to Budapest and saw John Collins wheeling along his Louis Vuitton luggage. Before I could say hi my jambo pals heckled him, and he gave us a none to pleased look.

Michael Stewart was sat next to us in the Rutland one night (after he went back to the ****). Was sat with his bird (maybe) looking bored and depressed drinking his orange juice.

Speedway
26-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I was on London Road and I saw Yogi, Mixu, JC, Blobby and Sauzee all wandering aimlessly around looking for something.

I asked them what the matter was and Yogi said 'We've a' lost the dressing room.'

Peevemor
26-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I was on London Road and I saw Yogi, Mixu, JC, Blobby and Sauzee all wandering aimlessly around looking for something.

I asked them what the matter was and Yogi said 'We've a' lost the dressing room.'

steakbake
26-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Once saw Zemamma and Benji in the "Canned vegetable" aisle at Sainsbury's, Meadowbank.

PS - also once saw HKT in Sainsbury's Craigleith.

Incidentally, I don't work for Sainsbury's.

Lendo
26-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I also so Zemmama and Benji cruising up the Royal Mile sitting in Zouma's Golf, windows down, elbows hanging out. Both of them listening to some of the worst music I have ever heard. Got a little smile and nod from them as I was heading to Holyrood park for a run wearnig my Hib's top.

Bayern Bru
26-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Had a wee chat with Jackie McNamara sr and Ralph Callaghan after the derby last week. My dad's good mates with them but this was my first time being introduced. Bit starstruck!

Met Lofty at a concert at the Corn Exchange. Thankfully I was behind him, otherwise he'd no' have been able to see...:greengrin
I've met Mixu on a number of occasions, nice guy. Once gave me a high five when he was at Livi - I was doing a 5k and happened to be passing the stadium and he jumped out of this car and held his hand out :confused::greengrin

I'm sure there's plenty more. On a non-Hibs related note, I have on more than one occasion been in a jacuzzi with Jose Goncalves, :cool2: a sauna with Robbie Neilson :eek:, and enjoyed a bit of banter with Mikoliunas, Cesnauskis, and Jankauskas. I'll clear this up by saying we use the same gym. And nothing else. Honest.

Alex Trager
26-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I was on the same flight as zemama in the summer and also see nish in the bookies alot or he phones my girlfriends work for a pizza alot

Niffy
26-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Stevie Archibald sat behind me in the pictures a few years back when he was at Hibs.

Willie Miller got blootered at on of our bands gigs at Bannermans and demanded I give him and his mrs (partner?) a lift hame, as apparently Dalkeith/Widburn was on the way to Dunbar ???

cwilliamson85
26-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I used to always serve Gary O'Connor and his missus in Schuh at Ocean Terminal.

Great bloke and always had time to chat.

hibee_girl
26-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Bumped into Brebner going into a bookies (shock horror) near my high school once and then a few years later I came out of my work and he was hanging about outside.

I have ran into Kevin Thomson with my son's pram before in Ocean Terminal, it was when he played for us though so there was no malice in it :greengrin

I see Benji and Zemmama a lot around here, my son constantly tells Benji he has a toy dog called Benji and Zemmama's nearly ran us over about 3 times as he's a pretty radge driver.

JimBHibees
26-03-2010, 03:12 PM

:top marks :faf::faf:

joejoefaemexico
26-03-2010, 03:53 PM

different class mate.

Kaiser1962
26-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Met Sproule and Shiels in the Burke and Hare after the Hearts game we lost just after winning the league cup.

I have to say I know JC, have done for years, and he is an absolute gentleman. He only wanted the players to conduct themselves like professional sportsmen on and off the park. He was/is light years ahead of Scottish football in his thinking and application.

G15 Hibs
26-03-2010, 10:34 PM

That is my favourite line in the whole of hibs.net ever.

HibeeMG
26-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Have had Zemmama a couple of times come into my shop in Ocean Terminal. Asked him how his injury was at the time. Should maybe have asked how long he was gonna stay injury free!

Big Stack and Anthony Stokes were in buying protein shakes. Stack seemed a very confident guy to say the least.

Andy McNeil is in all the time. I always have a chat about Montrose and how they're doing. Really nice lad.

Danny Galbraith is a regular too buying his protein bars.

G15 Hibs
26-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Mind being in the Three Sisters about Christmas time 1999 and the whole Hibs squad was in there. Managed to prise wee Russell away from a bevvy of beauties to get a photo taken with him. Don't know who looks more ****ed in it, me or him.

CraigK
27-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Saw Murray and Deek at a Proclaimers gig at the Corn Exchange.
A wee laddie went up to Deek to ask for his autograph so Deek pulls a tenner out of his pocket and signs that. Then he picked the boy up and put him on his shoulders so he could get a better view (we were standing at the back). I thought that was a nice gesture, considering some of the stories that you hear about him.
Murray was kinda skulking in the shadows as it was when he was at the huns.

Met Kevin Harper in a bar in Tenerife during the 1998 world cup and he was an absolute a-hole.

Most random one was McLeish and Andy Watson propping up the bar in, of all places, Subway West End in 2000!

soupy
27-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I met paul Hartley about 2 years ago, in his hoose, i was pumping his bird, when he came hame early fi training one day.....:greengrin:greengrin:rolleyes:

:fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

MussyHibby
27-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Met Mikey Stewart when he was at Hibs and he was a gentleman.

Then met him again with most of the hibs team 3 Xmas's ago when they were in Rose Street on their Xmas night out. My memory was chatting to Ivan in the toilets :wink: and how young he/they looked.

Lofarl
27-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I met paul Hartley about 2 years ago, in his hoose, i was pumping his bird, when he came hame early fi training one day.....:greengrin:greengrin:rolleyes:

:fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

Did that cause significant unrest in their relationship? IRT I've met darren Jackson, willie miller and yogi ages ago. Also queued up infront if mist the man u squad at heathrow when they were on route to the world club championship

Bob1875
27-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Me and my mate met Ivan in Fantasy Palace shortly after he scored the hat-trick at Ibrox. Had a few drinks with him and told him how much we loved him.

Met David Murphy on George Street the night he scored in 1-0 at Ibrox.

Played bowls against G O'C.

Just a few weeks ago i was playing poker with Graeme Smith up at the Circus. Chatted away for a few hours, a really decent bloke.

Ryan91
27-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Met Tony Mowbray once, very nice guy, very polite. Also when I was working with Next over Xmas on Princes Street, saw Benji (looking at Suits) and Jimmy Calderwood, who I walked by muttering "you know when you've been tango'd" safe to say he gave me a bad look I walked away laughing though, have also met Gareth Evans, who was a nice bloke and according to my dad, Keith Wright's wife was on the same maternity ward as my mother with their new born shortly after I was born, safe to say he was Star-Struck, poor Mum didn't have a clue as to what he was on about.

smithyhibee1875
28-03-2010, 12:14 AM
the whole hibs team were staying in th same hotel as me when they were in ireland for pre season, it was quality getting there pictures and that! :scarf:

also seen lewis stevenson, andy mcneil and zemmama in ocean terminal :D

RickyS
28-03-2010, 12:52 AM

a few days before the 6-2 game I was walking back from work toward St Mark's Park, turns out Hibs were training there. as I walked down the hill towards the changing rooms, Andy Watson said to Eck "****in hell I thought that was Barry Lavety" (blonde hair and a gut I assume) I laughed :grr: and had a chat. I asked Eck if Zitelli was playin from the start against the Yams as I had a few quid on him as 1st goalscorer, his reply...........naw

aside from that, Pat Stanton was working for Citreon in seafield and when the car was in for a service, he drove me home and picked me back up. I was star struck, he was the nicest guy you could meet and was humbled that someone in their 20's (at the time) still looked upon his as an Icon. also told me that Eddie Turnbull and he never got on at all and he made him play through injury with injections and forced him out the club.

the day after we heard Deek was signing for Celtic, I bumped into him in the queue in scotmid, I spoke to him and said, Deek - I wish you all the best mate and as a Hibs fan I want one last thing from you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never kiss that badge! he promised he widnae and said " I will always be a Hibs fan and no club could ever mean as much to me"

RMG_82
29-03-2010, 04:49 AM
That is my favourite line in the whole of hibs.net ever.

Ha! :greengrin True story mate

silverhibee
29-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Saw Murray and Deek at a Proclaimers gig at the Corn Exchange.
A wee laddie went up to Deek to ask for his autograph so Deek pulls a tenner out of his pocket and signs that. Then he picked the boy up and put him on his shoulders so he could get a better view (we were standing at the back). I thought that was a nice gesture, considering some of the stories that you hear about him.
Murray was kinda skulking in the shadows as it was when he was at the huns.

Met Kevin Harper in a bar in Tenerife during the 1998 world cup and he was an absolute a-hole.

Most random one was McLeish and Andy Watson propping up the bar in, of all places, Subway West End in 2000!

Stick that in your paper douglas walker ya yam prick that you are.:wink:

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I've met loads over the years and find them, well, normal.

Blokes are blokes. Some are sound and some are knobs. A good few aren't that comfortable speaking to total strangers, which some people seem to forget.

Anyway, here's one of my favourite encounters (that I've posted before).

Andy Watson and his wife (?) came into the pub we were in one night when he was at Ibrox with GJP. One of my mates (and it's by no means the first or last time he's done this) did the "awright for a photie Andy?" thing. When he said "aye, nae bother", my mate handed AW his phone (camera) and then went and posed with his wife.

AW just laughed and ended up blethering and drinking with us later on.

Hibee_Rab
29-03-2010, 02:45 PM
a few days before the 6-2 game I was walking back from work toward St Mark's Park, turns out Hibs were training there. as I walked down the hill towards the changing rooms, Andy Watson said to Eck "****in hell I thought that was Barry Lavety" (blonde hair and a gut I assume) I laughed :grr: and had a chat. I asked Eck if Zitelli was playin from the start against the Yams as I had a few quid on him as 1st goalscorer, his reply...........naw

aside from that, Pat Stanton was working for Citreon in seafield and when the car was in for a service, he drove me home and picked me back up. I was star struck, he was the nicest guy you could meet and was humbled that someone in their 20's (at the time) still looked upon his as an Icon. also told me that Eddie Turnbull and he never got on at all and he made him play through injury with injections and forced him out the club.

the day after we heard Deek was signing for Celtic, I bumped into him in the queue in scotmid, I spoke to him and said, Deek - I wish you all the best mate and as a Hibs fan I want one last thing from you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never kiss that badge! he promised he widnae and said " I will always be a Hibs fan and no club could ever mean as much to me"

Legend.

Judas Iscariot
29-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Legend.

:agree: defo 100% :top marks :notworthy:

joejoefaemexico
29-03-2010, 07:41 PM
About a year and a half ago, me and the guy i was working with that day were on our way to a job. Anyway we were stuck behind a wee bit of traffic just beside that pool place at Meadowbank (cant remember its name). As we were waiting, all of a sudden strolling along the pavement with his mate was Kevin Thomshun. I rolled down the window and said ''Awrite Kevin'' He turned and said ''Awrite'' then continued walking. I then said ''Here'' and he stopped and faced the van. Then i shouted at the top of my lungs ''OOOH KEVIN THOMSON YOU USED TO BE A HIBEE BUT YOU SOLD YOUR SOLE!'' Then at the perfect timing the lights changed and we pulled away, me with my head sticking out the window with a big grin, and Thomsons embarrassed/ragin face was a picture i'll ALWAYS rememeber! :thumbsup:

he doing a sideline in cobbling?

joejoefaemexico
29-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Saw ALEX MILLER sunbathing on a beach in Santa Ponsa one year. Saw Paul Wright sunbathing by our pool the same year. He didn't play for the Hibs at the time though, so i refused to apply the lotion for him :greengrin

Johny Leith in the back of my taxi. Asked him why he wasn't getting a game, his answer was to shrug his shoulders and say ( you will have to ask Mr Collins )

Riorden and Morrow in the taxi.....Casino ! Gave me a tip. Good lads !

thoughtless... you seen the boys plooks!

simple
29-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Met Mixu at a wedding reception last year, we had played Dundee Utd at home earlier that day and everytime they got a corner he had everyone back defending, had to pull him up for that!! :thumbsup:

HibeeMcGinn1
29-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Bumped into Garry O in "The Cuddie Brae" in newcraighall one day then the next 2 days I met him in tranent, once in the camera shop and then in joes chippy. The next home game he signed my programme and said hel see me kicking about tranent. Not seen him since.

Met deek stack and stokes in walkabout in omni one night and all agreed to a photo. Stack had me in fits of laughter, said the only reason they were in there was because dafty wasnt aloud in anywhere else :thumbsup:

See alot of the squad driving through tranent quite often.

Calvin
30-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Sold Tam McCourt a washing machine on Sunday :greengrin

down-the-slope
30-03-2010, 12:40 PM

You :agree:...my last pound on it

Mon Dieu4
30-03-2010, 12:44 PM
You :agree:...my last pound on it

You win, I had to be reminded the next day I was actually speaking to him :faf:

down-the-slope
30-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Most memorable was playing 5's with Mickey Weir. What makes it all the more unforgetable was it was on the bowling green in Princes Street gardens having climbed the fences to get in there....he was a first team regular at the time

Did cross my mind at the time how he would have got on explaining an injury in those circumstances to the manager :faf:

down-the-slope
30-03-2010, 12:49 PM
You win, I had to be reminded the next day I was actually speaking to him :faf:

I'm only surprised you didn't challege him to a race as well......

Mon Dieu4
30-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm only surprised you didn't challege him to a race as well......

Wouldn't have been fair, no way could he beat me to the pub :dizzy:

Teo10
30-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Alan O'Brien lived next door to me for about 6 months....

No idea how I didn't see him once (Or Fletch as those two were good friends!)

Defo would have challenged him to a race in his Garden:agree: