PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Andy Murray

PapillonVert
18-01-2009, 10:53 PM
As it says on the tin,

GO ANDY! :thumbsup:

CalgaryHibs
18-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Looking forward to the first Grand Slam and with Murray making a move up the rankings he gona be one of the fav's to win.

Watch for Hibs tops in the stands when he plays, some of the Ozzie Hibs will be there,
yoo heard it here first:wink:

PapillonVert
18-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Looking forward to the first Grand Slam and with Murray making a move up the rankings he gona be one of the fav's to win.

Watch for Hibs tops in the stands when he plays, some of the Ozzie Hibs will be there,
yoo heard it here first:wink:

Wonder if Grant Brebner will be there?

Would be great to see some Hibs tops in the crowd!

Hibbie_Cameron
20-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Murray through in 45 mins after his opponent concedes due to injury:thumbsup:

--------
20-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Murray through in 45 mins after his opponent concedes due to injury:thumbsup:

That was a walk-over. A LOOOOOOONG way to go.

JimBHibees
20-01-2009, 03:20 PM
That was a walk-over. A LOOOOOOONG way to go.

I agree however although as Murray said himself he would have preferred more time on court I think an easy game first up isnt altogether a bad thing in terms of conserving energy given the conditions. Time will tell of course. :greengrin

I notice he wasnt wearing a cap which seemed a little odd given he usually does and also he was playing at midday in the searing heat.

Randerson_4
20-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree however although as Murray said himself he would have preferred more time on court I think an easy game first up isnt altogether a bad thing in terms of conserving energy given the conditions. Time will tell of course. :greengrin

I notice he wasnt wearing a cap which seemed a little odd given he usually does and also he was playing at midday in the searing heat.

Dont think he usually does wear one? Seem to remember watching him in tournaments start of this year end of last and he didnt wear on IIRC

Still one game down, well kind of. Hopefully start of a very good tournament :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
20-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I would imagine that Murray would have preferred to have had a longer match to start off his Australian Open campaign but it can't be bad to have preserved his energy.

Good luck to him on Thursday against Marcel Granollers, in the second round.

Murray has a very good draw in this tournament. Obviously, if they both get that far, he will play Rafael Nadal in the semi finals, which will be tough. But in the 3rd round and last 16, the only one who I think has even the slightest chance of hurting Murray is Fernando Verdasco and I think Murray is more than capable of beating him in a 5 set match.

And out of his potential Quarter Final opponents, I would say that only James Blake and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga have the ability to cause Murray problems.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Murray will reach the semi finals, at least. The tournament will really hot up then, if he gets Nadal.

H18SScottW
21-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Yep, Good Luck Andy Murray :scarf::saltireflag

BBC2 tomorrow ...

09:45–12:00 Tennis: Australian Open 2009
22/01/2009
Coverage of Andy Murray's second round clash against Romania's Marcel Granollers.

I feel a :ill: day coming on :wink:

JimBHibees
22-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I would imagine that Murray would have preferred to have had a longer match to start off his Australian Open campaign but it can't be bad to have preserved his energy.

Good luck to him on Thursday against Marcel Granollers, in the second round.

Murray has a very good draw in this tournament. Obviously, if they both get that far, he will play Rafael Nadal in the semi finals, which will be tough. But in the 3rd round and last 16, the only one who I think has even the slightest chance of hurting Murray is Fernando Verdasco and I think Murray is more than capable of beating him in a 5 set match.

And out of his potential Quarter Final opponents, I would say that only James Blake and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga have the ability to cause Murray problems.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Murray will reach the semi finals, at least. The tournament will really hot up then, if he gets Nadal.

His next opponent (Melzer) was 2 sets up against him in the US open so a tough game though Murray should win it.

JimBHibees
22-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Dont think he usually does wear one? Seem to remember watching him in tournaments start of this year end of last and he didnt wear on IIRC

Still one game down, well kind of. Hopefully start of a very good tournament :thumbsup:

Pretty sure he did, but you maybe right. Thought he wore one to cover his appalling hairstyle. :greengrin

Ivan Drago
22-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Does it kind of frustrate anyone else seing guys in manky Celtic tops when watching Murray :grr: GTF. :greengrin

Hank Schrader
22-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Does it kind of frustrate anyone else seing guys in manky Celtic tops when watching Murray :grr: GTF. :greengrin

I have lost count of the number of times I have watched an event, sporting or other, and spotted a Celtc top being worn in the crowd.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2009, 03:58 PM
His next opponent (Melzer) was 2 sets up against him in the US open so a tough game though Murray should win it.

Melzer's a good player and almost knocked Murray out of the US Open last year, but I just feel that he will beat him, if he plays near his best.

Good result today against Granollers, without needing to get into top gear. Two down, just the five to go!

Sir David Gray
24-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I thought Murray would beat Melzer but I never imagined the scoreline being so one sided.

Murray was brilliant today and fully deserved his win.

The hard work really starts now though, as they enter the second week. He now plays Fernando Verdasco on Monday, and whilst it will undoubtedly be his biggest test of the tournament so far, he currently has a 5-0 head-to-head lead against Verdasco. In fact, Murray has only lost one set in those five meetings.

The last 16 draw is as follows;

R Nadal v F Gonzalez
G Monfils v G Simon
A Murray v F Verdasco
J Blake v J-W Tsonga
A Roddick v T Robredo
M Baghdatis v N Djokovic
J M Del Potro v M Cilic
T Berdych v R Federer

This is what I think the 1/4 final draw will look like;

Nadal v Monfils
Murray v Tsonga
Roddick v Djokovic
Del Potro v Federer

Sir David Gray
25-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I've managed to get four out of four, so far, in terms of my 4th round predictions. Just another four to go tomorrow. :thumbsup:

A couple of the predictions were looking shaky for a time, none more so than in Roger Federer's match. Tomas Berdych was two sets up, until Roger started getting his act together and won the next three sets to claim a 1/4 final spot.

Juan Martin Del Potro had to come back from a set down to beat Marin Cilic in 4 sets.

Novak Djokovic was always in the lead against Marcos Baghdatis but he did lose the 3rd set on a tie-break, before winning the 4th to progress.

Andy Roddick strolled through his match against Tommy Robredo, in straight sets.

So now I need Nadal, Monfils, Murray and Tsonga to win their matches tonight and i'll have made a clean sweep. I wish I'd put money on it!

PS-If anyone fancies watching Murray against Verdasco, he will probably be on around 5am GMT.

The BBC coverage is starting at 4am, but I can't see the three women's matches (the first of which starts at midnight) that are on before Murray, being finished in four hours.

rainman
26-01-2009, 02:46 AM
I've managed to get four out of four, so far, in terms of my 4th round predictions. Just another four to go tomorrow. :thumbsup:

A couple of the predictions were looking shaky for a time, none more so than in Roger Federer's match. Tomas Berdych was two sets up, until Roger started getting his act together and won the next three sets to claim a 1/4 final spot.

Juan Martin Del Potro had to come back from a set down to beat Marin Cilic in 4 sets.

Novak Djokovic was always in the lead against Marcos Baghdatis but he did lose the 3rd set on a tie-break, before winning the 4th to progress.

Andy Roddick strolled through his match against Tommy Robredo, in straight sets.

So now I need Nadal, Monfils, Murray and Tsonga to win their matches tonight and i'll have made a clean sweep. I wish I'd put money on it!

PS-If anyone fancies watching Murray against Verdasco, he will probably be on around 5am GMT.
The BBC coverage is starting at 4am, but I can't see the three women's matches (the first of which starts at midnight) that are on before Murray, being finished in four hours.

Nice one! 2pm here! Sitting with a hangover off work as it is Australia Day.

Nothing better than watching the tennis with a bowl of crunchy nut corn flakes! :thumbsup:

The_Horde
26-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Murray is so frustrating.

Like watching Hibs.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Very poor result for Murray.

If he wants to really challenge the top three this year, that is the kind of match he just has to win.

He was ahead twice (1-0 and 2-1) and it's just very frustrating that he lost the last 2 sets.

He'll probably need to wait until the US Open now, before attempting to win his first Grand Slam. He has no chance of winning the French Open (the next Grand Slam) and I can't see him winning Wimbledon this year, either.

I got 6 out of 8 right. I obviously got Murray wrong and Gael Monfils had to retire in his match against Gilles Simon. It's not bad but it's just as well I didn't put money on it! :greengrin

Ed De Gramo
26-01-2009, 09:03 PM
My bet is still alive :agree:

Hank Schrader
27-01-2009, 11:15 AM
My bet is still alive :agree:

I am guessing your bet is along the lines of some sweeping "Andy Murray will never win a grand slam" statement? :greengrin

bingo70
27-01-2009, 11:34 AM
clutching at straws here i think but was wondring if i'll get my stake back from the bookies as Djokovic retired from the tournament due to injury?

Hank Schrader
27-01-2009, 11:59 AM
clutching at straws here i think but was wondring if i'll get my stake back from the bookies as Djokovic retired from the tournament due to injury?

Not sure how these things work but no doubt the bookies would argue that Djokovic was on his way to defeat when he retired.

Federer hasn't half given Del Potro a good hammering, I thought Federer would have it tough in that game!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Not sure how these things work but no doubt the bookies would argue that Djokovic was on his way to defeat when he retired.

Federer hasn't half given Del Potro a good hammering, I thought Federer would have it tough in that game!

:agree: That was a stunning victory as Del Potro is a very good player.

Now that Murray's out, I hope Federer goes on to win.

He plays Andy Roddick in the semis, whose record against Federer is awful, so I would say that he is a certainty to make the final.

I then think he will face either Nadal or Tsonga in the final, which will be tough but I hope he can go on and equal Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

JimBHibees
27-01-2009, 12:38 PM

They would pay on Roddick being the winner.