PDA

View Full Version : Weekend of Sport - Scottish Cup and EIHL

The_Todd
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, on Sunday I attended both the Derby (:bitchy:) and then in the evening I decided to go to my first ever Capitals match vs the Panthers.

Even though it ended 6-0 to the Panthers, I was impressed with the effort shown by the Caps - even with 2 seconds left on the board and the score already 6-0, they were still trying to get the puck into the offensive zone and get on the scoresheet. If only Hibs showed anything like the same enthusiasm earlier in the day.

I was also impressed by the crowd, and how despite losing heavily, they were behind the team all the way through.

The scoreline didn't put me off at all, and I'll be back!

Pheona
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh dear, you picked the wrong game to go to your first, against a decent side like the Panthers, but glad it didn't put you off.

Apart from being down 4 forwards, if you count the one who left on Saturday and another who is on the long term injury list, they were also on the back of a 24 hour round trip to Basingstoke (where they won 3 -4)

The lads didn't do too bad at all.

:thumbsup:

The_Todd
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I knew it was a match against one of the "big 4" so I went in with low expectations, but I never knew about the Caps missing so may players.

I was also impressed with the number of away fans who'd made the trip from Nottingham on a Sunday evening.

All in all a very positive experience.

PC Stamp
13-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I knew it was a match against one of the "big 4" so I went in with low expectations, but I never knew about the Caps missing so may players.

I was also impressed with the number of away fans who'd made the trip from Nottingham on a Sunday evening.

All in all a very positive experience.

Aye, it's all very well us being a platform for young British players but when they organise the World U20 qualifying right in the middle of your season it doesn't help us. You realise how much the young guys like Garside & Mitchell are missed when they ain't there! If you have a certain number of players away on International duty you should be allowed a cancellation. Add to that the injuries to Nesrsta and Dalgleish and the loss of Bowie & Rajcak together and it was hopeless really!

To bloody Basingstoke and back with half a team and then expected to play IMHO the potential champions the following night with the same half a team. We effectively only had two lines at the weekend. 2 netminders and 10 skaters aginst the might of Nottingham's depth. I expected another double figure rout like Coventry earlier in the season and was impressed at the team being so determined not to take a tonking!

Glad you enjoyed the experience The Todd. There will be better ones and maybe worse ones but there's always hard work and effort!

stu in nottingham
13-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Well done to the Caps lads for sticking in there against the odds. The Panthers can be a bit of a powerhouse on their night but are also very inconsistent at times.

Locally, the Nottingham coach gave them an absolute roasting after their 7-3 victory over Basingstoke for lack of effort. Only a rare five-minute blast of goals took them through against the Bison.

I find that trait rare in hockey players generally though. Usually they are some of the most determined and honest sports people as the Capitals have shown here.

Some footballers could learn a lot from them in my humble opinion.

PC Stamp
13-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Well done to the Caps lads for sticking in there against the odds. The Panthers can be a bit of a powerhouse on their night but are also very inconsistent at times.

Locally, the Nottingham coach gave them an absolute roasting after their 7-3 victory over Basingstoke for lack of effort. Only a rare five-minute blast of goals took them through against the Bison.

I find that trait rare in hockey players generally though. Usually they are some of the most determined and honest sports people as the Capitals have shown here.

Some footballers could learn a lot from them in my humble opinion.

When Panthers are in the mood they are a pleasure to watch even if they are skelping your own team! Good skaters and competent on the puck. They were solidly good on Sunday until they effectively had the game won at by the 2nd period leading 4-0. They did that previously this season at Murrayfield, but took their foot off the gas when 4-0 up and almost got suckered. This time they kept their foot on the gas without ever pressing the pedal right to the floor in the final period.

stu in nottingham
13-01-2009, 10:15 PM
When Panthers are in the mood they are a pleasure to watch even if they are skelping your own team! Good skaters and competent on the puck. They were solidly good on Sunday until they effectively had the game won at by the 2nd period leading 4-0. They did that previously this season at Murrayfield, but took their foot off the gas when 4-0 up and almost got suckered. This time they kept their foot on the gas without ever pressing the pedal right to the floor in the final period.

Inrterested to hear your views there mate.

I think the Panthers are quite well coached these days, Cliff. It's not always you could say that. Even with coaches like Alex Dampier and Mike Blaisdell in the past, they often looked as though they didn't know what their jobs were out there. It always showed itself up (badly) on their special team plays - their powerplay was rank for years!

I've watched them a time or two this season and they are variously, a great pleasure/terrible/exciting/clueless/hard working/lazy!

I am pleased to see the Caps hanging in there and wish them well. I'd love to see them return to the Murrayfield glory days. in fact I always supported them against the Panthers as you may imagine! How many fans are turning up for games these days? It would be wonderful if Edinburgh's team could have a new arena to play in - I'm sure that would take them from strength to strength - just like the old days.

PC Stamp
14-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Inrterested to hear your views there mate.

I think the Panthers are quite well coached these days, Cliff. It's not always you could say that. Even with coaches like Alex Dampier and Mike Blaisdell in the past, they often looked as though they didn't know what their jobs were out there. It always showed itself up (badly) on their special team plays - their powerplay was rank for years!

I've watched them a time or two this season and they are variously, a great pleasure/terrible/exciting/clueless/hard working/lazy!

I am pleased to see the Caps hanging in there and wish them well. I'd love to see them return to the Murrayfield glory days. in fact I always supported them against the Panthers as you may imagine! How many fans are turning up for games these days? It would be wonderful if Edinburgh's team could have a new arena to play in - I'm sure that would take them from strength to strength - just like the old days.

Nowhere near as many as needed to have them at a consistently competitive level sadly. Probably around 600 per game average this season. That said the game against Basingstoke just after Christmas attracted just over 1500 which is the Caps highest ever Elite attendance. A specially organised skating based event in conjunction with City of Edinburgh Council. That attracted 700 or so out for the following game against Newcastle. Sunday probably dropped back again to nearer the average.

A new arena could be a help but then opposing teams and their fans all seem to clamour for their annual visits to Murrayfield! A good ice surface but prehistoric facility wise! There's no accounting for what people seem to like though!! :greengrin

The_Todd
14-01-2009, 09:33 AM
A new arena could be a help but then opposing teams and their fans all seem to clamour for their annual visits to Murrayfield! A good ice surface but prehistoric facility wise! There's no accounting for what people seem to like though!! :greengrin

A bit like the East Stand, no? :greengrin

Do the Caps do any sort of advertising - I'm sure a lot of folk in Edinburgh wouldn't know they even exist? I know about them because I've always had a vague interest in Ice Hockey.

Maybe Hibs and Caps could do some sort of teaming up, like buy a Hibs ticket on Saturday, and get a discounted Caps ticket for Sunday? Not only get attendance up through that, but just raise awareness?

PC Stamp
14-01-2009, 10:42 AM
A bit like the East Stand, no? :greengrin

Do the Caps do any sort of advertising - I'm sure a lot of folk in Edinburgh wouldn't know they even exist? I know about them because I've always had a vague interest in Ice Hockey.

Maybe Hibs and Caps could do some sort of teaming up, like buy a Hibs ticket on Saturday, and get a discounted Caps ticket for Sunday? Not only get attendance up through that, but just raise awareness?

That's something they are looking at. They've done so already with Edinburgh Rugby. Their advertising was poor but they are now getting people/players out and about in workplaces, schools,colleges etc to spread the word.

A few ads on buses or bus shelters etc wouldn;t go amiss either!

The_Todd
14-01-2009, 11:58 AM
That's something they are looking at. They've done so already with Edinburgh Rugby. Their advertising was poor but they are now getting people/players out and about in workplaces, schools,colleges etc to spread the word.

The rugby link-up may make some sort of sense since both teams are based in Murrayfield, but since Edinburgh Rugby crowds aren't very big unless it's a big match or they run a free ticket givaway like they did for the Glasgow game they're limiting themselves to advertising to another minority sport.

I think a link up with Hibs and/or Hearts would be a fantastic way of reaching approx 20-25,000 folk in a oner - and especially since Ice Hokcey in many ways is similar to football (just get it in the net, and 1 goal = 1 point on the scoreboard) I think a lot of football fans would be willing to keep coming back if they gave it a chance.

Raymond
14-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Are you suggesting extra revenue for the Yams? :greengrin

PC Stamp
14-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Are you suggesting extra revenue for the Yams? :greengrin

Anything's better than the pics of such as Gary Mackay & Henry Smith which are up there just now! They could use it to pay Arbroath their interest! :greengrin

The_Todd
19-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Second match of my fledgling Caps Supporting career last night, total thriller and I thought we were well on the way to winning when we killed that 5 on 3 penalty.

Great fun, and the my next trip to Murrayfield can't come soon enough! :thumbsup:

Pheona
20-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Second match of my fledgling Caps Supporting career last night, total thriller and I thought we were well on the way to winning when we killed that 5 on 3 penalty.

Great fun, and the my next trip to Murrayfield can't come soon enough! :thumbsup:

YOu can go twice this weekend, double header against Sheffield and.. and.... we MAY even have a ref....:grr::grr:

Watching Thomo on the away bench was almost as entertaining as game itself.

The_Todd
20-01-2009, 07:35 PM
YOu can go twice this weekend, double header against Sheffield and.. and.... we MAY even have a ref....:grr::grr:

Watching Thomo on the away bench was almost as entertaining as game itself.

Girlfriends birthday night oot on Saturday, no dice there. We might go Sunday depending on our hangovers though (I've got her into it as well!)

I was sat right behind Thommo during the second and third periods - if any Hibs fans think Mixu has a go at the ref they need to watch this guy! :greengrin